Author Topic: Police Use Taser Gun On Woman Having Diabetic Seizure  (Read 7121 times)

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
Police Use Taser Gun On Woman Having Diabetic Seizure
« on: March 12, 2007, 11:13:28 PM »
A local family is questioning why a woman having a diabetic seizure would have to be tackled and shocked by police.

Authorities said officers went to the home on Northeast 76th Avenue to assist paramedics in dealing with a violent person suffering from some type of diabetic episode.

cont... http://www.kptv.com/news/11226636/detail.html

Is it time to take way their stupid little toys ::)  If a couple officers can't get a chic under control without using a tazer, they need to hang up the real badge and get their happy asses on the set of Reno 911 where they belong...

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: Police Use Taser Gun On Woman Having Diabetic Seizure
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2007, 11:15:57 PM »
"According to authorities, Hess was having one of those episodes on Saturday night when she allegedly punched one of the officers without provocation.

Police said the officer was kicked several times in the stomach and groin and a firefighter punched twice while they struggled with Hess.

Authorities said the office used the Taser gun in an effort to stop the fight."

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2007, 11:18:41 PM »
yea, but these tazers are supposed to be used in place of where they would have used a firearm.  I doubt they would have shot this chic.  A few officers should have had no problem getting her under control without shooting or using a tazer.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2007, 11:22:41 PM »
yea, but these tazers are supposed to be used in place of where they would have used a firearm.  I doubt they would have shot this chic.  A few officers should have had no problem getting her under control without shooting or using a tazer.

Berserker is right in my opinion... What part of "having a seizure" do they not understand...

I've seen numerous law enforcement personnel deal with seizures while assisting EMTs... NEVER have I heard of one getting shot or tasered before.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2007, 11:29:59 PM »

Possibly.  The problem is I don't think there is a less harmful alternative.  The sticks they use can break bones.  Doesn't sound like they could have used pepper spray if she was fighting with the officers.  Only other alternatives are taser or shoot.    

I think the taser puts a lot of people off, because the manner in which they shock people appears so gruesome.  But I'd rather have them use that than shoot people.  

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2007, 11:32:10 PM »
Possibly.  The problem is I don't think there is a less harmful alternative.  The sticks they use can break bones.  Doesn't sound like they could have used pepper spray if she was fighting with the officers.  Only other alternatives are taser or shoot.   

I think the taser puts a lot of people off, because the manner in which they shock people appears so gruesome.  But I'd rather have them use that than shoot people. 

I'd rather them put me in a steeple than do either...

Speaking of... was this effective? What does a Doctor say about this? Is this similar to electric shock therapy that used to be performed in an insane asylum?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2007, 11:39:06 PM »
I'd rather them put me in a steeple than do either...

Speaking of... was this effective? What does a Doctor say about this? Is this similar to electric shock therapy that used to be performed in an insane asylum?

What's a steeple? 

She must not have been too incoherent if "she allegedly punched one of the officers without provocation" and when one "officer was kicked several times in the stomach and groin and a firefighter punched twice while they struggled with Hess." 

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2007, 11:39:10 PM »
Most cops I've seen are pretty big guys.  The alternative is what they've done forever before they had these guns, subdue the subject and hold them down while the paramedics do their job.  There's a jillion episodes of cops and these other shows where someone get's stupid and 99% of the time they just get taken down, not shot with a tazer.  Just recently they shot some guy in his car because he got verbal with the cops while handing them his drivers license.  To funny, would they have then shot him before they had tazers... lol...  If they can't subdue a UNarmed girl without shooting her, they belong on the set of reno 911 in my opinion.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2007, 11:43:28 PM »
What's a steeple? 

She must not have been too incoherent if "she allegedly punched one of the officers without provocation" and when one "officer was kicked several times in the stomach and groin and a firefighter punched twice while they struggled with Hess." 

It's a tactic often used by law enforcement... similar to an arm bar, except it's more of a wrist lock.

Define punch or kick... I've seen some weird seizures... They can come in all different manners of movement.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2007, 11:45:43 PM »
Most cops I've seen are pretty big guys.  The alternative is what they've done forever before they had these guns, subdue the subject and hold them down while the paramedics do their job.  There's a jillion episodes of cops and these other shows where someone get's stupid and 99% of the time they just get taken down, not shot with a tazer.  Just recently they shot some guy in his car because he got verbal with the cops while handing them his drivers license.  To funny, would they have then shot him before they had tazers... lol...  If they can't subdue a UNarmed girl without shooting her, they belong on the set of reno 911 in my opinion.

They are using the taser as a way to shoot people without getting in trouble at times it seems...

I saw a video of a kid getting tasered because he got loud with campus police at UCLA or something... It was very unreal... He didn't touch them, he just told them he forgot his campus ID... they got loud... he got loud... they tasered him and kept asking him to get up and what's his name while he was busy pissing himself on the ground.

It was very sad.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2007, 11:51:00 PM »

I cannot argue with what you've seen, but I've sat through a number of talks with cops where they talk about their use of force training and guidelines.  I don't think they are ever required to try and physically take a person down.  And if someone is kicking and punching (and making contact) it is too easy for the person to grab the officer's gun.  Not saying they should have tasered this particular woman, but I understand why they use it.  

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2007, 11:52:38 PM »
It's a tactic often used by law enforcement... similar to an arm bar, except it's more of a wrist lock.

Define punch or kick... I've seen some weird seizures... They can come in all different manners of movement.

Thanks for the explanation.  Never heard of it. 

I'm just quoting the story.  Is there more than one way to kick a man in the groin?   :-\

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2007, 12:01:20 AM »
Thanks for the explanation.  Never heard of it. 

I'm just quoting the story.  Is there more than one way to kick a man in the groin?   :-\

Oh sure... Toe style... Heel... outside of the foot... instep... You can kick a dude in the groin in a few ways.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2007, 12:06:35 AM »
The father of the woman who was tasered is a police officer.
I'd be real interested to hear what he had to say about the incident.
Supposedly he had a few comments himself, ...but I didn't see those posted anywhere.
w

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2007, 12:21:21 AM »
I cannot argue with what you've seen, but I've sat through a number of talks with cops where they talk about their use of force training and guidelines.  I don't think they are ever required to try and physically take a person down.  And if someone is kicking and punching (and making contact) it is too easy for the person to grab the officer's gun.  Not saying they should have tasered this particular woman, but I understand why they use it.  
are you serious or just messing with me :-\

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2007, 12:22:02 AM »
Oh sure... Toe style... Heel... outside of the foot... instep... You can kick a dude in the groin in a few ways.

Dude I'm cringing just reading this . . .

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2007, 12:22:47 AM »
Dude I'm cringing just reading this . . .
Yes, typing it up was rather an unpleasant thought for me as well.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2007, 12:25:30 AM »
are you serious or just messing with me :-\

I'm telling you what I've been told and what makes sense to me.  I don't think an officer should ever be required to wrestle with anyone.  It puts the officer's life in danger.   

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2007, 12:27:44 AM »
I'm telling you what I've been told and what makes sense to me.  I don't think an officer should ever be required to wrestle with anyone.  It puts the officer's life in danger.   

I've gone through defensive tactics for police training and I disagree with this statement... While officer safety is paramount, you are absolutely not to draw your weapon unless you plan on using it.

You are certainly taught unarmed combat... and are taught to use the force required to subdue an individual.

kh300

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2007, 12:36:55 AM »
most of you guys should go nowhere near new york city.. we have a zero tolerance policy -thats becoming the model for police agencys across the country. dont do what we ask and your ass is going into the ground, no questions asked.

we dont know the real story to this situation. the majority of the time you get a call you have no idea what to expect. a frantic person dials 911 and the operater can barley hear what their saying,, then the operater throws a brief description of what they know onto the computer and we respond as fast as we can. when you get there you dont know peoples medical history, whats going on, or what the problem is.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2007, 12:37:06 AM »
LOL, uh... ok then ;D

gtbro1

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2007, 12:39:54 AM »
most of you guys should go nowhere near new york city.. we have a zero tolerance policy -thats becoming the model for police agencys across the country. dont do what we ask and your ass is going into the ground, no questions asked.

we dont know the real story to this situation. the majority of the time you get a call you have no idea what to expect. a frantic person dials 911 and the operater can barley hear what their saying,, then the operater throws a brief description of what they know onto the computer and we respond as fast as we can. when you get there you dont know peoples medical history, whats going on, or what the problem is.

::)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2007, 12:40:47 AM »
I've gone through defensive tactics for police training and I disagree with this statement... While officer safety is paramount, you are absolutely not to draw your weapon unless you plan on using it.

You are certainly taught unarmed combat... and are taught to use the force required to subdue an individual.

Sure they are taught unarmed combat.  What they aren't required to do is use it.  The typical steps are verbal command, a range of options from pepper spray, baton, to taser, to deadly force.  Hand-to-hand combat isn't required at all, at least not in Hawaii.  

Hand-to-hand combat is the last thing cops want to do, because it gives the perp a chance to take the cop's weapon away.

They are taught to use the level of force one step higher than that being used against them.    

kh300

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2007, 12:41:16 AM »

I was just typing a reply that YOU would soon be here defending these assholes and when I click post...there you were.  ::)  It's never the pigs cops fault is it?

head down to 42nd precinct and say that

kh300

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2007, 12:43:04 AM »
Sure they are taught unarmed combat.  What they aren't required to do is use it.  The typical steps are verbal command, a range of options from pepper spray, baton, to taser, to deadly force.  Hand-to-hand combat isn't required at all, at least not in Hawaii.  

Hand-to-hand combat is the last thing cops want to do, because it gives the perp a chance to take the cop's weapon away.

They are taught to use the level of force one step higher than that being used against them.    

were verbal,taser,peper, deadly force... id take a taser hit over peper spray any day