Author Topic: Is this the "Lie" Gonzalez Told Congress?  (Read 2341 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Is this the "Lie" Gonzalez Told Congress?
« on: March 23, 2007, 04:21:35 PM »
I have been trying to find the purported "lie under oath" that Gonzalez allegedly told.  It appears to be this:

On January 18, 2006, before the Senate Judiciary Committee, Gonzales stated, “I think I would never, ever make a change in a United States attorney for political reasons or if it would in any way jeopardize an ongoing serious investigation. I just would not do it.”

http://thinkprogress.org/2007/03/13/gonzales-lies/

Is this it?  If so, I am starting to believe this is indeed a witch hunt.  I was under the impression that Gonzalez testified about this matter after the U.S. Attorneys were fired.  Unless I'm missing something (entirely possible), these firings happened nearly a year after Gonzalez testified.  Although I don't believe his statement that we would never fire a U.S. Attorney "for political reasons" (they always do), I don't see how they call this perjury. 

What other testimony is at the heart of this investigation?

youandme

• Getbig V
Re: Is this the "Lie" Gonzalez Told Congress?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2007, 04:41:16 PM »

Is this it? 

Clinton got a blowjob, yeah that's it.  ::)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 04:42:16 PM »
Clinton got a blowjob, yeah that's it.  ::)

???

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2007, 05:19:01 PM »
He also told congress that it was Harriet Myers that ordered it.

Turns out it was Karl Rove.

While this lie might not make you wet, it's a lie nonetheless.

To excuse it is to accept dishonesty from elected officials, which makes you the scum of the earth.

Humbly,

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2007, 05:26:37 PM »
 ::)  Any intelligent responses?  Ozmo?  Someone else with more than half a brain?   :)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2007, 05:28:49 PM »
::)  Any intelligent responses?  Ozmo?  Someone else with more than half a brain?   :)

hey man, you're okay with your elected officials lying to you.

I'm not.

We're just different that way.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2007, 05:35:19 PM »
hey man, you're okay with your elected officials lying to you.

I'm not.

We're just different that way.

We're different in many ways.  One is you often talk like one of my elementary school kids (I have two in elementary school).  They have a problem debating things without insulting people.  I'm trying to help them through this.  You're old enough to know better.  This is why I rarely have serious exchanges with you.  Carry on.   :) 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2007, 05:46:02 PM »
I tell ya what.

if you can admit that the US joint chiefs and Dept of Defense approved a plan to conduct false flag operations - false terror upon the american people in order to instigate and justify a war with Cuba - I will settle down.

Can you?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Northwoods

ribonucleic

• Getbig V
  • I bring you ultimate reality!
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2007, 08:17:15 PM »
Well, looky looky what tumbled out of the 18 day gap the White House said didn't exist in the earlier document dump...

--------------------

Documents show Gonzales approved firings

Attorney General Alberto Gonzales approved plans to fire several U.S. attorneys in a November meeting, according to documents released Friday that contradict earlier claims that he was not closely involved in the dismissals.

The Nov. 27 meeting, in which the attorney general and at least five top Justice Department officials participated, focused on a five-step plan for carrying out the firings of the prosecutors, Justice Department officials said late Friday.

There, Gonzales signed off on the plan, which was crafted by his chief of staff, Kyle Sampson. Sampson resigned last week amid a political firestorm surrounding the firings.

The five-step plan involved notifying Republican home-state senators of the impending dismissals, preparing for potential political upheaval and naming replacements and submitting them to the Senate for confirmation.

The documents indicated that the hour-long morning discussion, held in the attorney general's conference room, was the only time Gonzales met with top aides who decided which prosecutors to fire and how to do it.

Justice spokeswoman Tasia Scolinos said it was not immediately clear whether Gonzales gave his final approval to begin the firings at that meeting. Scolinos also said Gonzales was not involved in the process of selecting which prosecutors would be asked to resign.

On March 13, in explaining the firings, Gonzales told reporters he was aware that some of the dismissals were being discussed but was not involved in them.

"I knew my chief of staff was involved in the process of determining who were the weak performers — where were the districts around the country where we could do better for the people in that district, and that's what I knew," Gonzales said last week. "But that is in essence what I knew about the process; was not involved in seeing any memos, was not involved in any discussions about what was going on. That's basically what I knew as the attorney general."

Later, he added: "I accept responsibility for everything that happens here within this department. But when you have 110,000 people working in the department, obviously there are going to be decisions that I'm not aware of in real time. Many decisions are delegated."

The documents were released Friday night, a few hours after Sampson agreed to testify at a Senate inquiry next week into the firings of eight U.S. attorneys last year.

Asked to explain the difference between Gonzales' comments and his schedule, Justice spokesman Brian Roehrkasse largely sidestepped the question by saying the attorney general had relied on Sampson to draw up the plans on the firings.

"The attorney general has made clear that he charged Mr. Sampson with directing a plan to replace U.S. attorneys where for one reason or another the department believed that we could do better," Roehrkasse said. "He was not, however, involved at the levels of selecting the particular U.S. attorneys who would be replaced."

Gonzales this week directed the Justice Department's Office of Professional Responsibility to investigate the circumstances of the firings, officials said. The department's inspector general also will participate in that investigation.

Nonetheless Democrats pounced late Friday.

"Clearly the attorney general was not telling the whole truth, but what is he trying to hide?" said Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (news, bio, voting record), D-Nev.
"If the facts bear out that Attorney General Gonzales knew much more about the plan than he has previously admitted, then he can no longer serve as Attorney General," said Sen. Chuck Schumer of New York, who is heading the Senate's investigation into the firings.

Added  House Judiciary Committee Chairman John Conyers "This puts the Attorney General front and center in these matters, contrary to information that had previously been provided to the public and Congress."

Presidential spokesman Trey Bohn referred questions to the Justice Department, saying White House officials had not seen the documents.

The developments were not what Republicans, skittish about new revelations, had hoped.

Earlier Friday, a staunch White House ally, Sen. John Cornyn (news, bio, voting record), summoned White House counsel Fred Fielding to Capitol Hill and told him he wanted "no surprises."

"I told him, 'Everything you can release, please release. We need to know what the facts are,'" Cornyn said.

Sampson will appear Thursday at a hearing of the Senate Judiciary Committee, his attorney said. His appearance will mark the first congressional testimony by a Justice Department aide since the release of thousands of documents that show the firings were orchestrated, in part, by the White House.

Sampson "looks forward to answering the committee's questions," wrote his attorney, Brad Berenson, in a two-paragraph letter to Committee Chairman Patrick Leahy (news, bio, voting record), D-Vt., and the panel's top Republican, Sen. Arlen Specter (news, bio, voting record) of Pennsylvania.

"We trust that his decision to do so will satisfy the need of the Congress to obtain information from him concerning the requested resignations of the United States attorneys," Berenson wrote.

E-mails between the White House and the Justice Department, dating back to the weeks immediately after the 2004 presidential election, show Sampson was heavily engaged in deciding how many prosecutors would be replaced, and which ones. The Bush administration maintains the dismissals of the eight political appointees were proper.

Democrats, however, question whether the eight were selected because they were not seen as, in Sampson's words, "loyal Bushies."

"He was right at the center of things," Schumer said earlier of Sampson. "He has said publicly that what others have said is not how it happened. ... He contradicts DOJ."

Schumer said he hoped Sampson would provide more detail about who initiated the firings and whether they were politically motivated.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070324/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/fired_prosecutors

ribonucleic

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2007, 08:21:06 PM »
Bum said he wanted to wait until the facts to come in...  ;D

Here are the facts, asshole. Choke on them.

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2007, 08:23:08 PM »
???

"You don't lead a lion into a den without setting a trap." Believe in them, they have more documents than that. Lied to Capitol hill, rolled it to Miers, then tried to say the president had no idea what was going on.
The clinton thing had to do with Snows comments that ribo posted yesterday.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2007, 08:45:55 PM »

Ouch.

Also note they were released Friday evening.  nice way to bury the story.

ribonucleic

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2007, 08:54:55 PM »
Ouch.

Nothing he can't yawn his way through.  :) 

Al probably just got his memories confused. You know, with those pesky reporters asking him questions all the time... and all that important work he has to do keeping America's children safe from sexual predators.  ::)

And even if he did lie, he wasn't under oath - right? So there's no crime. Hell, George will probably give him a medal for it.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2007, 11:52:04 AM »

Is this the best you can do?  Go back to your thesaurus and find some more out-of-context words (or made up phrases).  You are here for entertainment purposes, and I know you can be more creative than this.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2007, 11:54:22 AM »
Nothing he can't yawn his way through.  :) 

Al probably just got his memories confused. You know, with those pesky reporters asking him questions all the time... and all that important work he has to do keeping America's children safe from sexual predators.  ::)

And even if he did lie, he wasn't under oath - right? So there's no crime. Hell, George will probably give him a medal for it.

I save my yawns for drivel.  It just so happens you get a disproportionate share, because a disproportionate number of your posts are drivel.  But I admit you are funny sometimes.   :)

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2007, 12:34:29 PM »
It will be interesting to see Kyle Sampson testify next week.  I think a few people in the cross hairs are thinking about the Scooter Libby conviction and realizing that they don't want to be the next scapegoat.

and in my opinion - Gonzales - like his jefe  - is a pathological liar

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2007, 03:40:26 PM »
beach bum doesn't care if gonzalez lied.

he'll only care once he's convicted and his appeals are used up.

that's right.  he's okay with being lied to by his leaders.

pathetic :(

The Enigma

• Getbig IV
  • Porsche 911 Turbo Carerra. My reality, your dream.
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2007, 08:37:48 AM »

Couldn't have said it any better myself.   :D

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2007, 09:20:22 AM »
GOP support for attorney general erodes

WASHINGTON - Republican support for Attorney General Alberto Gonzales eroded Sunday as three key senators sharply questioned his truthfulness and a Democrat joined the list of lawmakers who want him to resign over the firing of eight federal prosecutors.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070325/ap_on_go_co/fired_prosecutors

The Enigma

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2007, 09:27:19 AM »

WASHINGTON - Republican support for Attorney General Alberto Gonzales eroded Sunday as three key senators sharply questioned his truthfulness and a Democrat joined the list of lawmakers who want him to resign over the firing of eight federal prosecutors.

Republican support for this CORRUPT Bush admin. is..............gone.

Just ask me.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2007, 05:38:48 AM »
Arlen Specter (repub-PA) was on Sunday.

He said we should wait for the facts before deciding anything criminal, but that his credibility is probably beyond repair at this point.  He agrees from the statements and evidence that AG did "mislead" America.

Gonzalez is a liar.  Period.  Courts will decide what laws were broken, if any.  But to back AG at this point is to admit you have low expectations for the top lawyer in the land.  If you'll accept a liar at that point, you'll probably accept a liar for a wife, a liar for a boss, a liar in your children, and a liar in yourself.  You should take a look at your own standards and ask yourself why.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2007, 08:45:25 AM »

Specter said he would wait until Gonzales' scheduled April 17 testimony to the committee before deciding whether he could continue to support the attorney general. He called it a "make or break" appearance.

I agree with Specter.  Let's hear what Gonzales has to say. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2007, 08:47:26 AM »
Republican support for this CORRUPT Bush admin. is..............gone.

Just ask me.

O.K.  I'll bite:  Is all of the Republican support for the "corrupt" Bush administration "gone"?  If so, how do you know this? 

The Enigma

• Getbig IV
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2007, 09:11:38 AM »
O.K.  I'll bite:  Is all of the Republican support for the "corrupt" Bush administration "gone"?  If so, how do you know this? 

I suppose you can never say "all"..........20 % of the flock will always go down w/ the ship.

That's a given.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2007, 10:46:24 AM »
I suppose you can never say "all"..........20 % of the flock will always go down w/ the ship.

That's a given.

So it's 80 percent?  I know a lot of Republicans and they haven't jumped ship.