Author Topic: April Football draft  (Read 6761 times)

Always Sore

• Getbig V
  • Catch it..Like herpes!
April Football draft
« on: March 29, 2007, 10:44:28 AM »
I may be one of the few that gets jacked about the draft but any others have thoughts about the upcoming draft?

body88

Re: April Football draft
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2007, 11:16:04 AM »
Cant wait. Love the draft.  The pats have 10 picks total, including two first rounders. It should be interesting to see what they do. The two first rounders will be defensive imo.

This draft could be the deepest in wr's since 96.

Always Sore

• Getbig V
  • Catch it..Like herpes!
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2007, 11:30:49 AM »
Cant wait. Love the draft.  The pats have 10 picks total, including two first rounders. It should be interesting to see what they do. The two first rounders will be defensive imo.

This draft could be the deepest in wr's since 96.

You guys have done so well this offseason I think you may be in the position of taking the best avab as opposed to need. You guys actually have one of the better records of drafts in the last few years which is funny because your always drafting in the last third. I think I read somewhere you guys are going secondary correct?

body88

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2007, 11:58:59 AM »
You guys have done so well this offseason I think you may be in the position of taking the best avab as opposed to need. You guys actually have one of the better records of drafts in the last few years which is funny because your always drafting in the last third. I think I read somewhere you guys are going secondary correct?

I believe the two first picks will be defensive. I think they will go lb, corner or lb, ss. They could also take a de since Belichick likes to convert de's into lb in the 3-4. They have worked out Patrick Willis and John Beason. They worked out Reggie Nelson and Merriweather also. You never know with the pats tho. Belichick and Pioli have been among the best in draft grades since they took over the patriots. Belichicks father was considered one of the greatest college scouts ever. The 2002 and 2003 drafts where especially exceptional drafts for NE. They have had at least 4 impact starters from every draft since they started, so I hope they can use these ten picks to continue that trend. Having the two first rounders and extra comp picks will be a great advantage this year. I could see them trading up with one of the first picks or trading down with one of the two first rounders for extra picks in the second round. This fa period has been a great one so like you said they have the luxury of some freedom in the draft. I believe they still have about 9 million dollars in cap space left. If Asanti signs eliminating the fa tag (talks are reported to be going well) that number will be higher. It payed off for them to lock up all there own players last year which gave them about 29 million to play with this year. The pats have always drafted well so I expect them to make a splash this year with the extra picks. In previous years the pats have always spent all the way to the cap, but it has been on core players or role player depth. With all there core guys locked up they had the ability to get players they really wanted this year and felt would compliment the current system. All the guys who signed in f/a took less to play in ne then they where being offered from other teams, so I have zero complaints this offseason.

I have looked at a few mocks but those tend to be a crapshoot. Any guys you are interested in for your team? This draft could be the deepest in wr's since 96. Do you have any mocks made up? What do you think about the first 10 picks?

Always Sore

• Getbig V
  • Catch it..Like herpes!
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2007, 12:13:00 PM »
Well the one thing I expect is Reid to continue the course and pick with something in the future in mind. We have a lot of young talent at LB and now have vets Spikes and Trotter so I think unless Willis drops to 26 were set. Now WR is kind of set with curtis and are young guys and unless you get Calvin Johnson its not worth a first round pick. We have spent last year stockpiling OL and have a pile of DL's. I really think its going to be the best CB or S. Merriweather or Nelson if there around (don't think they will be). I really think its going to be CB since Lito is always hurt. I would like to see them move up and grab the 19 yr old DE/DT Okeyo since I think he might be a really good one but we do not have the firepower.I also would like to see a young QB taken in the mid rounds to groom. Carson palmers little brother would be a good find.

I was reading about the nebraska kid adam carriker (sp) being a target of you guys to use in the 3-4?

body88

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2007, 12:40:48 PM »
Well the one thing I expect is Reid to continue the course and pick with something in the future in mind. We have a lot of young talent at LB and now have vets Spikes and Trotter so I think unless Willis drops to 26 were set. Now WR is kind of set with Curtis and are young guys and unless you get Calvin Johnson its not worth a first round pick. We have spent last year stockpiling OL and have a pile of DL's. I really think its going to be the best CB or S. Merriweather or Nelson if there around (don't think they will be). I really think its going to be CB since Lito is always hurt. I would like to see them move up and grab the 19 yr old DE/DT Okeyo since I think he might be a really good one but we do not have the firepower.I also would like to see a young QB taken in the mid rounds to groom. Carson palmers little brother would be a good find.

I was reading about the nebraska kid adam carriker (sp) being a target of you guys to use in the 3-4?

Very true about the wr's this year.The wr talent in the second /early third round is being projected on the same level as the talent in the late first round. I like David Clowney in the third round. I love the Curtis pick up by you guys btw. I think he will excel playing with Mccnabe. I also like the spikes/trotter pick up. The rams did not utilize Curtis correctly imo.

I love Nelson for his speed and range.  Plays with a mean streak and is extremely athletic and fast. The one knock on him is his tackling. He struggles diagnosing the run and is more effective in coverage then with run support. I honestly like Meriweather. He is instinctive and extremely athletic. He also has experience at c and fs. Very reliable open field tackler who is great at diagnosing the run. You know how the pats love the versatile guys. He got in the brawl at Miami which hurt his stock. He has since admitted it was a huge mistake and that "he made a big mistake". Needs a lil size, but no more then anyone not named Laron Landry.

You will have the ability to grab a impact corner on day 2. Guys like Hughes, McCauly and Houston will be around. You never know, the draft could go a certain way and you could land a Aaron Ross in round 1. Look at the pats with Maroney last year. Okeyo has so much upside it is scary. Sadly he will be long gone before either of us could dream of grabbing him.

What rounds where you looking to take a qb? Palmer I assume will go around the fifth round. A guy to think about is Trent Edwards from Stanford. He should go around the time Palmer does. Same with Beck out of BYU.

Carrriker is a def target, but a little big. A guy like J Moss would be better to convert into a lb in the 3-4.

Always Sore

• Getbig V
  • Catch it..Like herpes!
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2007, 12:53:53 PM »
I think QB is more a pipe dream for Eagles fans since we now picked up Holcome but I really think a young guy like palmer or Beck from BYU would be great and tha fact they could sit and learn with no rush would help. Plus if you get a guy around the 3rd or 4th and make him look good in pre season and spot duty you can trade him later for a higher round pick (al la AJ Feeley). I tend to like guys that are larger (taller) at Qb then smaller fast guys and both of thoses guys are over 6 with palmer like 6-5. I would also like to see a big back picked up but do not think its going to happen unless Brian Leonard falls deep into the 2nd round or Hunt drops into the 3rd. More likely its ikind of a repeat of 2002 when we got lito and brown in the same draft.You know Reid he always want to build from the inside out so it would not suprise me to see him try to trade our old 1st round DE jerome and maybe even kerse or howard to move up and grab some speedy DE.

I just hope for a few we can use next year, I think we can repeat as east champs but SB...well theres always next year... ;D

body88

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2007, 12:57:45 PM »
I think QB is more a pipe dream for Eagles fans since we now picked up Holcome but I really think a young guy like palmer or Beck from BYU would be great and tha fact they could sit and learn with no rush would help. Plus if you get a guy around the 3rd or 4th and make him look good in pre season and spot duty you can trade him later for a higher round pick (al la AJ Feeley). I tend to like guys that are larger (taller) at Qb then smaller fast guys and both of thoses guys are over 6 with palmer like 6-5. I would also like to see a big back picked up but do not think its going to happen unless Brian Leonard falls deep into the 2nd round or Hunt drops into the 3rd. More likely its ikind of a repeat of 2002 when we got lito and brown in the same draft.You know Reid he always want to build from the inside out so it would not suprise me to see him try to trade our old 1st round DE jerome and maybe even kerse or howard to move up and grab some speedy DE.

I just hope for a few we can use next year, I think we can repeat as east champs but SB...well theres always next year... ;D

The eagles impressed the hell out of me the second half of the season last year.

Oldschool Flip

• Getbig IV
  • Eat Balut! High in Protein!
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2007, 01:38:09 PM »

The eagles impressed the hell out of me the second half of the season last year.
That's cause they had a former 49er at QB. ;D

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2007, 08:27:18 PM »
I'd be kinda excited if I was a 49er fan. Young team plenty of talent..should be able to knock of  the seahawks and take the west next year. The Pats?..........welll DB and maybe a rb in the first round..Mauroney had surgery on his shoulder.....i guess we'd know how serious it was if BB takes one. I would imagine the wil take two dbs or a db and lb if a run stuffer is available. They did pretty well in free agency.
L

body88

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2007, 08:36:57 PM »
I'd be kinda excited if I was a 49er fan. Young team plenty of talent..should be able to knock of  the seahawks and take the west next year. The Pats?..........welll DB and maybe a rb in the first round..Mauroney had surgery on his shoulder.....i guess we'd know how serious it was if BB takes one. I would imagine the wil take two dbs or a db and lb if a run stuffer is available. They did pretty well in free agency.

I do not thing there is any way they take a rb in the first round. No one worth taking will be on the board for first round money. Unless Lynch falls to 24. Maroney's surgery was to repair the chronic problem of his shoulder popping in and out of the joint. A problem he had since college compacted by the fact he is physical runner. The injury effected him noticeably at the end of the year. That and the ribs. When they did the surgery they found more damage then anticipated, but nothing that would keep him out for any time in the 07 season. Mike Reiss of the globe confirmed with the pats last week that the surgery would not effect Maroney for 07. Only thing it will do is limit his offseason programs a bit. Which sucks because he needs a lil extra size to really dominate. There is no back worth taking in the first round other then Lynch or Petterson. If they take one I think it will be Lorenzo Booker or D Walker in the third round. They worked Booker out recently. He would be Kevin Faulks eventual replacement. He is better then Faulk and more durable. Maroney had the surgery 2 months ago, late breaking story.

I think they will go lb or de with the first pick. Then c or s with the second. That is if they do not trade down 1 of the first rounders for extra picks early in the second round. Sidney Rice is getting worked out by the pats as we speak. He is a wr so you really never know. With the depth at wr in this draft I doubt they take one earlier then the 2nd round if they do. They could throw everyone for a loop and just take the best players on the board when they pick. Due to the solid fa period they have options. Chad jackson injury was not as significant as many thought and there is talk of him being ready to go by july.

I could def see them trading down one of the two 1st rounder for two  second rounders and picking up a Micheal Griffen or Brandon Merriweather at s then grabbing a Daymeion Hughes, Chris houston or Marcus McCauly at c. Merriweather is a steal. That fight he was in is overshadowing how good a player he is.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2007, 07:41:39 AM »
I wanted to see if you would chime in on the RB thing.....Its hard to get anything on the Maurony deal. The Globe and the Herald had different slants on it. DE? huh..based on best player available..surely not need. I think db's are where they should go.
L

body88

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2007, 07:55:01 AM »
I wanted to see if you would chime in on the RB thing.....Its hard to get anything on the Maurony deal. The Globe and the Herald had different slants on it. DE? huh..based on best player available..surely not need. I think db's are where they should go.

What's up hh6 ? How are things? If you check out the globes story written by Reiss you see he credits the herald (Tomase) for breaking the story then says he confirmed it with his "sources" (Bill Belichick) and the story was in fact true. Reiss then went on to add he confirmed the injury would not effect maroney's 07 season. It will limit him slightly this offseason which sucks cuz if he came to camp at about 230 (up from 220) he would be a sight to see. Injuries really made him taper off at the end of the year. He was leading the nfl in kick returns until he got hurt. He has that big play ability and I expect big things from him in 07. He needs to learn how to protect his body better instead of laying his shoulder into everything and anything.

I say they might draft de with the first pick because Belichick has been known to convert the smaller ones into lb's in the 3-4. As you know most all college lb's play in the 4-3 Some de make the transition into the 3-4 much easier. A guy like Jarvis Moss (6.5 256) would be perfect for this. I believe de is the only position that recieved the A grade this year. I would love to see them pick up a Lorenzo Booker in the third round. He has skills and durability superior to that of Faulk and would be his eventual replacement. He is a real sleeper. He is to small to be a every down back, but would be perfect as a situational guy to compliment Maroney, Faulk and Morris. If they go after a bigger power back I could see them looking at Tony Hunt or Dwayne Wright in the third round.  I hope they go lb or de with the first pick... Then trade down and pick up corner (Hughes, McCauley, or Houston) and a saftey (Griffin, Meriweather) in the second round. NO way in hell do I think this will happen since you can really never tell with Belipioli....

What I would love to see in the first round

pick 24 - P Willis or J Moss

pick 28 (trade down and grab) M McCauly (C) and B Meriweather (s) in the second round. We have 11 picks including the comp picks this year, so there is a ton of options

Oh btw, here is the latest story on Maroney

Boston Globe .com

March 26, 2007
Welcome to Phoenix
PHOENIX -- Welcome to Phoenix, where the NFL's annual meeting is being held at the Arizona Biltmore..

From a Patriots perspective, chariman/CEO Robert Kraft and president Jonathan Kraft are here for the meetings. Head coach Bill Belichick, who is not scheduled to attend, shared some of his thoughts on a few rule-change proposals in Sunday's Boston Globe. Vice President of Player Personnel Scott Pioli and General Counsel/Player Personnel man Jack Mula are in attendance.

On the news front, running back Laurence Maroney underwent shoulder surgery after the AFC Championship Game. That Maroney underwent surgery was first reported by the Boston Herald, and has been confirmed. Maroney will naturally be limited in the team's offseason program, but the injury isn't expected to threaten his 2007 season.

Posted By: mreiss | Time:

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
  • I'm totally Brolic, bro!
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2007, 11:44:18 AM »
Patrick Willis....will not be available after Carolina Picks...if u need a good linebacker...look for David Harris in the mid second round
D

jerseyhurricane

• Getbig IV
  • who's next ???
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2007, 02:02:47 PM »
I'm hoping the Eagles pick up Michael Griffin the safety out of Texas.
I Bleed PhillyEagle

body88

« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2007, 03:11:59 PM »
Patrick Willis....will not be available after Carolina Picks...if u need a good linebacker...look for David Harris in the mid second round

Maybe, maybe not. People drop and rise at every draft.  Since the pats have two first rounder they have a lot of flexability.I think the pats worked out Harris this week actually. They recieved 5 comp picks this year also. Although those cannot be traded they free up other pics to be traded or to move up if needed. I am not worried either way. The de class is considered to be a strong A grade this year. Guys like Jarvis Moss ,Anthony Spencer,Lamarr Woodley and Quentin Moses could make fine lb's in the 3-4.

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2007, 03:17:20 PM »
I would love to see David Harris and Lamarr Woodley on the pats... :) :) :)
D

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2007, 03:21:50 PM »

The only thing I care about now is how badly the Raiders are going to screw this up.

body88

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2007, 04:02:25 PM »
I would love to see David Harris and Lamarr Woodley on the pats... :) :) :)

Give me J Moss with the 24th pick... Then trade down the 28th pick and gimme Meriweather at saftey and McCauley at corner.

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2007, 05:51:41 PM »
I just want my Lions to take Joe Thomas....we need a tackle, it pains me to think Millen will take Calvin Jonhson....
D

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2007, 08:03:21 PM »
I just want my Lions to take Joe Thomas....we need a tackle, it pains me to think Millen will take Calvin Jonhson....

What's ironic is Calvin Johnson is apparently a better prospect than Charles Rogers, Roy Williams, and Mike Williams. 

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2007, 08:16:30 PM »
What's ironic is Calvin Johnson is apparently a better prospect than Charles Rogers, Roy Williams, and Mike Williams. 
Yea, Charles Rodgers was a pot head, i knew that cause i went to Michigan...i heard he had a bad work ethic
My buddy went TO USC and said Mike Milliams had the attitude of it's all about me....my friends that work in Detroit say Mike Williams comes in fat and never works out hard and is a a$$ to the fans...he is the 5th string wide receiver...Millen has to be out...I watch my lions every year and i cry...
D

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2007, 08:34:09 PM »
Yea, Charles Rodgers was a pot head, i knew that cause i went to Michigan...i heard he had a bad work ethic
My buddy went TO USC and said Mike Milliams had the attitude of it's all about me....my friends that work in Detroit say Mike Williams comes in fat and never works out hard and is a a$$ to the fans...he is the 5th string wide receiver...Millen has to be out...I watch my lions every year and i cry...

Dude I got zero sympathy for you.  I'm a Niner fan.   :)  It has been a rough road. 

But I agree Millen should take the OT.  Safe pick.  Brady is overrated IMO and definitely not worth the no. 2 overall pick.  Too much risk involved with taking C. Johnson. 

I've heard the same thing about Mike Williams' work ethic. 

Always Sore

• Getbig V
  • Catch it..Like herpes!
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2007, 07:41:47 AM »
Hey did anybody catch the rumor about washington trading up with Oakland to get Russell? I know its false but the thought of trading a first this year and a 1st or 2nd next year plus jason campbell for another rookie QB makes me double over and fall on the floor. Personally I think the first picks this year are going to be busts and there is more value in trading down. Give me a hard worker with a good attitude over a prima dona with potential any day.

If I had a top five pick and could not get Calvin at WR I would keep moving down two or three spots at a time till I got to around 15-18 then start picking the best available hard working kids and use my bunch of 2nd and 3rd rounders to fill in depth and look for hidden talent.

jerseyhurricane

• Getbig IV
  • who's next ???
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2007, 09:05:21 AM »

But I agree Millen should take the OT.  Safe pick.  Brady is overrated IMO and definitely not worth the no. 2 overall pick.  Too much risk involved with taking C. Johnson. 

Calvin Johnson is the real deal but I agree that the Lions should and will take Joe Thomas.
I Bleed PhillyEagle