Author Topic: Giuliani Faces Questions About Sept. 11  (Read 2624 times)

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: Giuliani Faces Questions About Sept. 11
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 01:59:30 PM »
This is a potential problem for him.  Cleaning up NYC will help in New York, but his handling of 911 is what makes him a good national candidate.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2007, 02:03:54 PM »
Rudy's radio told him the building was coming down, ten minutes before it did.

No one else got that message, and he refuses to tell him who alerted him, even after family members begged him at hearings.

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2007, 02:04:32 PM »

No one else got that message, and he refuses to tell him who alerted him, even after family members begged him at hearings.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

you are doing it again!!!

;D

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2007, 02:07:45 PM »
LOL... BUT you'll notice I only responded to Beach Bum, who brought up 911 first, saying he handled 911 great.

THe official report = no one knew it was going to collapse.
Rudy on CNN right after collapse "They just told me over my radio to get out of the building - it was coming down".

No firefighter received that warning, and add'l groups of them were walking IN as Rudy paraded out. 

If Beach Bum wants to give Rudy props for 911, we should at least know that Rudy admitted on CNN that he got the heads up.  Also, he had "operation tripod", a special fema operation that "arrived monday night in preparation for the attacks".  Research that one.  What the F was FEMA doing there 12 hours before the attacks?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2007, 02:28:10 PM »
Is this what you guys call a "post whore"? 

kh300

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2007, 02:36:15 PM »
it wasnt worth trying to battle a fire that couldnt be stoped. everyone was evacuated from the area because the fire chiefs believed there would be a partial collapse..

here are the reports from the chiefs
http://www.nytimes.com/packages/html/nyregion/20050812_WTC_GRAPHIC/Banaciski_Richard.txt

http://www.nytimes.com/packages/html/nyregion/20050812_WTC_GRAPHIC/Nigro_Daniel.txt

http://www.nytimes.com/packages/html/nyregion/20050812_WTC_GRAPHIC/Cruthers.txt

http://www.nytimes.com/packages/html/nyregion/20050812_WTC_GRAPHIC/Ryan_William.txt

http://www.firehouse.com/terrorist/911/magazine/gz/boyle.html
Boyle: Seven, no. You got a half block away, you couldn?t see it, couldn?t see a damn thing. All we heard was they were worried about it coming down, everybody back away. We ran into the people running around for water for the eyes because everybody?s eyes were burned and I don?t know who they were. I think it was the doctor and some other people. They were just running around, washing people?s eyes out.

We were there about an hour or so until number 7 came down and everything was black again.

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2007, 02:45:49 PM »
but his handling of 911 is what makes him a good national candidate.

So I guess you did not read that article?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2007, 02:48:28 PM »
So I guess you did not read that article?

Yes I read the article.  That's why I said "This is a potential problem for him."  If not for 911 he wouldn't be a household name.  If people are able to convince the public that Rudy didn't handle 911 well, then he is in trouble. 

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2007, 02:57:49 PM »
Yes I read the article.  That's why I said "This is a potential problem for him."  If not for 911 he wouldn't be a household name.  If people are able to convince the public that Rudy didn't handle 911 well, then he is in trouble. 

Yes, I agree, I think masses will be convinced by Firefighters rather than a former federal prosecutor.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2007, 03:04:54 PM »
Yes, I agree, I think masses will be convinced by Firefighters rather than a former federal prosecutor.

They're both respected professions. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2007, 03:17:15 PM »
it wasnt worth trying to battle a fire that couldnt be stoped. everyone was evacuated from the area because the fire chiefs believed there would be a partial collapse..

here are the reports from the chiefs
http://www.nytimes.com/packages/html/nyregion/20050812_WTC_GRAPHIC/Banaciski_Richard.txt

http://www.nytimes.com/packages/html/nyregion/20050812_WTC_GRAPHIC/Nigro_Daniel.txt

http://www.nytimes.com/packages/html/nyregion/20050812_WTC_GRAPHIC/Cruthers.txt

http://www.nytimes.com/packages/html/nyregion/20050812_WTC_GRAPHIC/Ryan_William.txt

http://www.firehouse.com/terrorist/911/magazine/gz/boyle.html
Boyle: Seven, no. You got a half block away, you couldn?t see it, couldn?t see a damn thing. All we heard was they were worried about it coming down, everybody back away. We ran into the people running around for water for the eyes because everybody?s eyes were burned and I don?t know who they were. I think it was the doctor and some other people. They were just running around, washing people?s eyes out.

We were there about an hour or so until number 7 came down and everything was black again.

Hi, Genius.

We're talking about building #2, the south tower.  Rudy stood in the lobby for the cameras before it fell. Then his walkie told him it was coming down.  This was when no one else knew any building was falling.

You are way off the mark here.  Once again.  And it's annoying that you cut and paste ten sentences flippantly without looking into something.  But people see you do it continually, unable to share an original thought or even know which building we're talking about. 

Genius.

kh300

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2007, 03:35:02 PM »
apparently you didnt do much reading.. the 4 reports of the chiefs was about tower 1 and 2

ATHEIST

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2007, 04:10:05 PM »

I agree most people didnt know who Rudy was pre 9-11. After 9-11 he was highly regarded. the dems will try and spin the handling of 9-11 against Rudy.

and so what if he got a heads up to get out of the building? after the plane struck, its not absurd to think someone may have perhaps thought the building may collapse possibly and told him? if i were on the phone with him and i was watching on tv you bet your ass i would have said something like  "um sir, the building might not be safe im no expert but a 747 did hit the building, you may want to get out and let the professionals do their jobs" im sure anyone would have advised him to get out of the building. the fact that he was advised to leave doesnt automatically mean he was in on the CT...or that there even was one to begin with.

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2007, 04:13:40 PM »

most people didnt know who Rudy was pre 9-11. After 9-11 he was highly regarded. the dems will try and spin the handling of 9-11 against Rudy, thats obvious. and so what if he got a heads up to get out of the building? after the plane struck, its not absurd to think someone may have perhaps thought the building may collapse possibly and told him? if i were on the phone with him and i was watching on tv you bet your ass i would have said something like  "um sir, the building might not be safe im no expert but a 747 did hit the building, you may want to get out and let the professionals to their jobs" im sure anyone who cared for him would have advised him to get out of the building. the fact that he was advised to leave doesnt automatically mean he was in on the CT.

So your saying it's ok to Save Rudy and let others die?  ::) Ok then.
I would have said something like this " Hey Rudy how much money are you going to make in cleaning this mess up and keeping your mouth shut? What did "they" offer you? One thing is certain Rudy walk with along with some firefighters and act like your doing something, it will make a good photo"

ATHEIST

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2007, 04:23:44 PM »
So your saying it's ok to Save Rudy and let others die?  ::) Ok then.
I would have said something like this " Hey Rudy how much money are you going to make in cleaning this mess up and keeping your mouth shut? What did "they" offer you? One thing is certain Rudy walk with along with some firefighters and act like your doing something, it will make a good photo"

if thats what you got from reading my post then there is nothing that can be done for you. "assuming" things is what you do.

i didnt know he received money for 9-11, just exactly how much did he get??
  and who do you mean by "they" ??

the fact that he got word to get out of the building could have been a word of caution indicating that in the building isnt the best place for the mayor. NOT that there was a premeditated plan to blow the building up .

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2007, 04:55:39 PM »

i didnt know he received money for 9-11, just exactly how much did he get??
  and who do you mean by "they" ??

I don't know I thought we were speaking metaphorically? I'd like to know how much he received, and who they are also.

ATHEIST

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2007, 05:06:05 PM »
I don't know I thought we were speaking metaphorically? I'd like to know how much he received, and who they are also.

oh thats my fault, from reading your post I thought you knew something factual that everyone else didnt with your assumptions of Rudy receiving money and all.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2007, 07:25:05 PM »
Giuliani Acknowledges Mistake Over Kerik
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Filed at 10:41 a.m. ET

NEW YORK (AP) -- Republican presidential hopeful Rudy Giuliani acknowledged again Friday that he made a mistake when he recommended Bernard Kerik to be the nation's homeland security chief.

The acknowledgment followed a report in The New York Times that the former New York City mayor was warned about Kerik's relationship with a company with suspected ties to organized crime even before Giuliani appointed Kerik as New York City police commissioner.

Giuliani told a Bronx grand jury last year that his former chief investigator recalled briefing him on Kerik's relationship with the company, Interstate Industrial Corp., before Kerik's appointment.

But Giuliani, the front-runner for the 2008 GOP nomination, also told the grand jury he did not remember the briefing, the newspaper reported.

''The Mayor has said repeatedly it was a mistake to recommend Mr. Kerik for DHS. He cooperated fully with the grand jury,'' Giuliani's consulting firm, Giuliani Partners, said in a statement to The Associated Press.

A spokeswoman for Giuliani declined to explain why Giuliani appointed Kerik police commissioner despite having information about Kerik's relationship with Interstate Industrial.

Giuliani had previously said he hadn't been told about Kerik's ties to Interstate Industrial before he named Kerik police commissioner and, later, backed his ultimately unsuccessful attempt to become the nation's homeland security chief, the newspaper reported. The company has denied having ties to organized crime.

Once nominated by President Bush to head the Homeland Security Department, Kerik pleaded guilty last June to a misdemeanor charge of accepting a gift from Interstate Industrial, which was seeking city work.

Kerik acknowledged accepting $165,000 in renovations on his Bronx apartment from the company. But he never explicitly admitted that his efforts on the company's behalf were tied to the work on his home.

There is no evidence that Giuliani knew about the apartment renovation before appointing Kerik as police commissioner. But a top investigator who briefed Giuliani in 2000 knew that Kerik's brother and a close friend were working for an affiliate of Interstate Industrial, the Times reported, citing a transcript of Giuliani's sworn testimony last year to a grand jury investigating Kerik.

A prosecutor told Giuliani that Kerik had informed investigators about his brother's and friend's work for the company. The prosecutor also said Kerik, then the city's correction commissioner, told investigators he had tried to help the company as it vied for a city license to run a waste transfer station on Staten Island, according to the newspaper.

City officials refused to license the company in part because the transfer station was bought from two organized crime figures in 1996.

Giuliani testified that he had no specific recollection of the 2000 briefing or briefings, part of a background investigation before Kerik's appointment as police commissioner.

He noted that investigators cleared Kerik for the post, saying that might have been a reason why he could not recall the briefing or briefings.

''We may have filed it away somewhere that it wasn't as significant,'' he testified.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2007, 07:38:51 AM »
Ex-Partner Of Giuliani May Face Charges
Kerik Counts Said To Include Deception During Cabinet Bid
Saturday, March 31, 2007; A01

Federal prosecutors have told Bernard B. Kerik, whose nomination as homeland security secretary in 2004 ended in scandal, that he is likely to be charged with several felonies, including tax evasion and conspiracy to commit wiretapping.

Kerik's indictment could set the stage for a courtroom battle that would draw attention to Kerik's extensive business and political dealings with former New York mayor Rudolph W. Giuliani, who personally recommended him to President Bush for the Cabinet. Giuliani, the front-runner for the 2008 Republican presidential nomination according to most polls, later called the recommendation a mistake.

Kerik rose from being a warden and police detective to become Giuliani's campaign security adviser, corrections chief, police commissioner and eventual partner in Giuliani-Kerik, a security arm of Giuliani Partners, which Giuliani established after leaving office in 2001. Kerik resigned his positions in Giuliani's firm after he was nominated to the homeland security job.

The former mayor is not in any legal jeopardy, according to legal sources directly familiar with the investigation, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because the inquiry is ongoing. He and his consulting firm have cooperated in the FBI's long-running investigation of Kerik.

During a recent meeting, federal prosecutors told Kerik's attorneys that they are preparing to charge Kerik with filing false information to the government when Bush nominated him to the Cabinet, according to the legal sources.

Prosecutors are also prepared to charge Kerik with violating federal tax laws, alleging that he did not declare on his tax returns gifts he received while serving as New York's corrections commissioner, including costly renovations to an apartment he had bought, the sources said. The FBI is investigating loans Kerik received while he was in private business with Giuliani, the sources said, as well as information Kerik had omitted from a mortgage application.

Kerik turned down last month an offer to plead guilty to federal charges that would have required him to serve prison time. His attorney, Kenneth Breen, said in an interview that his client had done nothing wrong.

"He's not going to plead to something that he didn't do," Breen said.

The case against Kerik that federal prosecutors are preparing could generate uncomfortable political attention for Giuliani because it focuses on Kerik's activities while the two men were in government together and were jointly running Giuliani-Kerik, which was paid millions of dollars for advising upstart companies, doing federal work and consulting with clients overseas.

Even as Giuliani prepared to announce his presidential bid, his political team had identified as a political liability the man who had stood stoically by the mayor's side after the Sept. 11, 2001, attack on the World Trade Center, according to a strategy memo that surfaced in January.

Kerik's legal troubles could damage the law-and-order image that is the bedrock of Giuliani's campaign, said Republican political consultant Nelson Warfield, who is not aligned with any 2008 candidate. "Kerik has potential to undermine his image as a competent leader and someone best fit to fight terrorism," Warfield said. "Either he had fundamentally bad information about Kerik, or he was reckless in not knowing enough about a man who was that close to him."

Last night, Giuliani's office declined to comment on Kerik, instead referring a reporter to remarks the former mayor made earlier this week in Teaneck, N.J. "I hope, when people evaluate me, they evaluate the things that I think I did that were wrong and that were mistakes and the things that I did that were right, and I think the public record has been one largely of great success," Giuliani said then.

In addition to charges involving false information and tax law, the U.S. attorney's office in New York City is also threatening to charge Kerik with conspiracy to commit illegal wiretapping in his dealings with the 2006 GOP candidate for New York attorney general, Jeanine F. Pirro, the sources said.

After Kerik left the Giuliani firm, Kerik arranged for two off-duty Giuliani firm employees to conduct surveillance on Pirro's husband. Pirro and Kerik also discussed bugging a boat where Pirro suspected her husband was having an extramarital affair. Kerik was heard on a wiretap telling Pirro that he did not want to do the bugging because it was illegal.

About a year earlier, Pirro, then the Westchester County district attorney, ordered the A&P supermarket chain to hire the Giuliani-Kerik security firm as part of a settlement agreement in a case involving underage alcohol sales. The security firm was ultimately paid $43,000, according to a knowledgeable source who spoke about the terms of the contract on the condition of anonymity.

Kerik's legal team has signaled its plan to fight any federal indictment, initiating an internal appeal to Justice Department officials about the possible tax charges -- a move that could delay any indictment for at least several weeks, the legal sources said.

Giuliani and Kerik first met in 1990 at a dinner for a fallen police officer, while Kerik was a narcotics detective. Three years later, Giuliani asked Kerik to be his driver and his mayoral campaign's advance man. After Giuliani was elected, he tapped Kerik to advise his corrections commissioner. Within a year, Kerik had become the commissioner, and his performance helped him become the city's top police official.

Kerik met Bush in the rubble of the World Trade Center. In 2003, he was dispatched by the Bush administration to Iraq to work with the Coalition Provisional Authority, which was helping train and organize a new Iraqi police force. His work in Iraq won personal accolades from the president.

After Bush was reelected, he nominated Kerik to be the nation's second secretary of homeland security.

But a week after his nomination, Kerik was forced to withdraw his name from consideration. The stated reason was his failure to pay Social Security taxes for a nanny. But other issues had also surfaced, including favors he did for romantic partners -- he once dispatched a homicide detective to find his girlfriend's lost cellphone -- and more serious legal concerns.

Within months, Kerik faced New York state charges -- to which he later pleaded guilty -- that he accepted nearly $200,000 in gifts while a public official -- including more than $165,000 spent on renovations to his apartment. The money came from companies affiliated with a New Jersey outfit that federal authorities and state gambling regulators had linked to organized crime.

In the fall of 2005, Kerik asserted his Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination in refusing to answer questions before a New Jersey gaming regulatory body about his relationship to the people involved in the apartment renovations.

The contract with A&P was one of many deals -- some much more lucrative -- that the Giuliani-Kerik firm arranged using the partners' extensive political connections. The work included a Justice Department contract and multimillion-dollar consulting arrangements with business clients in the technology and security sectors worldwide.

In some cases, Giuliani and Kerik simultaneously advised a private company and the federal agency whose actions could affect it. Giuliani's firm, for instance, was hired by Purdue Pharma to help figure out how to keep sales of its popular painkiller OxyContin from being restricted by the government; street dealers were crushing and converting it into a powerful narcotic offering an instant high. Kerik was personally named to oversee security improvements at a New Jersey manufacturing plant.

At the same time, the Justice Department paid Giuliani-Kerik $1.1 million to conduct a management review of the organized-crime drug task force, whose responsibilities included stemming illegal use of OxyContin.

Likewise, Giuliani, Kerik and other firm partners were hired by cellphone carrier Nextel to win Federal Communications Commission approval for a new, emergency-only wireless spectrum for first responders.

The idea was to solve one problem for Nextel -- it had long been subject to complaints that its wireless signal sometimes interfered with the communications channels used by police, fire and rescue officials -- while creating an even stronger business opportunity for the cellular carrier.

At the same time, Giuliani's firm was brought in by the FCC to participate in a panel that was advising the agency in its efforts to address the future needs of a police, fire and rescue communications system in the aftermath of Sept. 11.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2007, 12:18:53 PM »
White House Looked Past Alarms on Kerik
Giuliani, Gonzales Pushed DHS Bid Forward
By John Solomon and Peter Baker
Washington Post Staff Writers
Sunday, April 8, 2007; A01

When former New York mayor Rudolph W. Giuliani urged President Bush to make Bernard B. Kerik the next secretary of homeland security, White House aides knew Kerik as the take-charge top cop from Sept. 11, 2001. But it did not take them long to compile an extensive dossier of damaging information about the would-be Cabinet officer.

They learned about questionable financial deals, an ethics violation, allegations of mismanagement and a top deputy prosecuted for corruption. Most disturbing, according to people close to the process, was Kerik's friendship with a businessman who was linked to organized crime. The businessman had told federal authorities that Kerik received gifts, including $165,000 in apartment renovations, from a New Jersey family with alleged Mafia ties.

Alarmed about the raft of allegations, several White House aides tried to raise red flags. But the normal investigation process was short-circuited, the sources said. Bush's top lawyer, Alberto R. Gonzales, took charge of the vetting, repeatedly grilling Kerik about the issues that had been raised. In the end, despite the concerns, the White House moved forward with his nomination -- only to have it collapse a week later.

The selection of Kerik in December 2004 for one of the most sensitive posts in government became an acute but brief embarrassment for Bush at the start of his second term. More than two years later, it has reemerged as part of a federal criminal investigation of Kerik that raises questions about the decisions made by the president, the Republican front-runner to replace him and the embattled attorney general.

A reconstruction of the failed nomination, assembled through interviews with key players, provides new details and a fuller account of the episode -- how Giuliani put forward a flawed candidate for high office, how Bush rushed the usual process in his eagerness to install a political ally and how Gonzales, as White House counsel, failed to stop the nomination despite the many warning signs. "The vetting process clearly broke down," said a senior White House official. "This should not happen."

Federal prosecutors have told Kerik that they are likely to charge him with several felonies, including providing false information to the government when Bush nominated him, sources have told The Washington Post. Kerik recently turned down a proposed agreement in which he would plead guilty and serve time in prison because, his attorney said, he would not "plead to something that he didn't do."

The investigation has put Giuliani's relationship with Kerik back in the spotlight at a time when the former mayor leads the Republican presidential field in national polls. During an appearance in Florida last weekend, Giuliani told reporters that they had a right to question his judgment in putting Kerik in charge of the New York Police Department and recommending him to Bush. "I should have done a better job of investigating him, vetting him," Giuliani said. "It's my responsibility, and I've learned from it."

The White House explanation has shifted significantly. Just after Kerik withdrew, White House spokesman Scott McClellan said that "we have no reason to believe" he lied and that it "would be an inaccurate impression" to say the vetting was rushed. Now current and former White House officials assert that Kerik lied "bald-faced," as one put it, and say they erred by speeding up the nomination.

Aides said they now believe they were lulled by Kerik's swaggering Sept. 11 reputation, and were too passive in accommodating the president's desire for secrecy and speed and too willing to trust Giuliani's judgment.

From 9/11 Hero to Nominee
Bush met Kerik in the debris of the World Trade Center and was so impressed that he later sent him to Iraq to train police. The bald, mustachioed street cop appealed to Bush, who admired his can-do persona. By 2004, Kerik was sent to the Democratic National Convention as part of an opposition war room, given a prime speaking slot at the Republican National Convention and tapped to appear with the president on the campaign trail.

Kerik did not fit the button-down model of the Bush administration. A high school dropout and son of a prostitute apparently killed by her pimp, Kerik became an undercover narcotics detective with ponytail and diamond earrings. He joined Giuliani's 1993 campaign as his driver and was later given top appointments, including corrections commissioner and eventually police commissioner. After office, Giuliani and Kerik became partners in a security consulting firm.

So when Giuliani telephoned Bush to recommend that he make Kerik his second-term homeland security secretary, the president jumped at the idea. The sheen of a 9/11 hero seemed to be just what was needed to take on a troubled new department struggling to integrate 22 agencies and 180,000 employees to protect the nation's ports, borders and airports; enforce immigration and customs laws; and respond to major disasters. Only a few aides, including then-Chief of Staff Andrew H. Card Jr. and senior adviser Karl Rove, were clued in to the president's decision.

As with every nominee, Kerik was given detailed financial disclosure and personal history questionnaires to fill out, all intended to unearth anything that might prove embarrassing in a confirmation hearing. Giuliani's firm assisted in filling out the forms, according to a source familiar with the situation, and the papers are now an issue in the federal criminal investigation. Kerik, his attorney and Giuliani Partners spokeswoman Sunny Mindel declined to comment.

Presidential nominees typically go through a full-fledged FBI background investigation before their appointments are announced. But because it is hard to keep Cabinet selections secret for so long, they are vetted only by the White House counsel's office before being made public. The FBI then conducts its full probe before Senate confirmation hearings begin.

The counsel's vetting depends heavily on honest responses from a nominee, officials said. Yet in Kerik's case, a quick FBI search and research by the White House turned up a host of problems in the couple of weeks before the nomination was announced. According to the sources, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because of White House policy against discussing personnel matters, Bush aides discovered that:

--Kerik was fined $2,500 by New York City for using police detectives to help him with his autobiography. He was also a defendant in a civil lawsuit accusing him of retaliation against a corrections official who had disciplined a female prison guard with whom Kerik was having a relationship. Kerik was scheduled to give a deposition in the case right after his nomination was to be announced.

--One of Kerik's former top deputies was convicted of stealing money from a foundation that Kerik ran while serving as Giuliani's corrections chief. The foundation was funded by rebates from tobacco companies selling cigarettes to prison inmates.

--Kerik, who filed for bankruptcy as a police officer, became rich almost overnight after leaving office. Just before his nomination, he made a quick $6.2 million without investing a dime by exercising stock options from his service on the board of Taser International, a stun-gun firm seeking business with homeland security agencies.

--Kerik's tenure in Iraq generated strong criticism of his management. Iraqi officials complained to U.S. authorities about $1.2 billion Kerik spent to train Iraqi police officers in Jordan, spending they called wasteful. Iraqis also questioned why Kerik spent tens of millions of dollars to buy weapons for Iraqi trainees when the U.S. military had confiscated plenty of such weapons after the invasion.

A Friend Accused of Mob Ties
The loudest alarm bell was Kerik's relationship with Lawrence Ray. The best man at Kerik's wedding in 1998, Ray went to work for a New Jersey construction company, Interstate Industrial Corp., that was seeking a big New York City contract and trying to overcome concerns inside Giuliani's administration that it had mob ties.

Ray, who told friends that he worked with the FBI, military and intelligence agencies in the 1990s, was indicted in 2000 along with organized-crime figures in what prosecutors described as a scheme to manipulate the stock market. He pleaded guilty and was spared prison time.

The White House had the perfect person to question Kerik about his relationship with Ray: Julie Myers, who arrived in the White House personnel office in November 2004 and had worked in the same U.S. attorney's office in Brooklyn that prosecuted Ray. She flagged the relationship and other concerns about Kerik for her White House colleagues, sources said. She aggressively questioned Kerik about Ray and other affiliations. He bristled at her tone, sources said.

In an interview last week, Ray said he had told the FBI and U.S. attorney's office as early as 1999, as he tried to stave off indictment, that he had incriminating information about Kerik. After his guilty plea in 2001, Ray said, he told the FBI that Kerik had agreed to help Interstate Industrial and its owners, the DiTomasso family, try to win city business despite their alleged ties with organized crime. At the time, Kerik solicited and received gifts from company sources, including $165,000 in renovations for his apartment.

"They knew 100 percent of it," Ray said. "There was no way they didn't. I was driving the ball on that."

Kerik told the White House that the allegations were untrue, sources said. "He was told many times, 'Be honest,' " said one person familiar with the process. Myers, presidential personnel director Dina Powell and others raised concerns in the West Wing, according to the sources. They were "very, very adamant about how serious the vetting needed to be," one source said.

Gonzales, then the White House counsel, who was about to begin his own confirmation process for attorney general, took charge of questioning Kerik, grilling him for hours on several occasions, the sources said. At one point, Gonzales called while Kerik was having lunch at a New York steakhouse and talked to him on his cellphone for an hour and a half. Nanette Everson, then the White House ethics counsel, was kept on the sideline for the heavy-duty part of the vetting.

But in the end, White House officials knew that Kerik had been head of the nation's largest police department and had a security clearance for his work in Iraq. He was a hero of Sept. 11. He was well liked by the president. No one checked with key officials at the Homeland Security, Defense or State departments or elsewhere in the government. Even within the White House, the choice was kept secret so Bush could make a splash.

"The loop on it was extremely small," said a former official. "That's a president-of-the-United-States, 'I don't want anyone to know, I want to announce it on Friday' [deal]. It drives people to not follow all the normal procedures."

The Past Comes to Light
The initial reviews were positive. New York's Democratic senators, Hillary Rodham Clinton and Charles E. Schumer, issued laudatory statements. But from corners of Washington and New York, calls began pouring in to the White House and to newsrooms.

Stories began circulating about Kerik's time in Iraq, about an arrest warrant issued when he failed to respond to a civil lawsuit, about his extramarital affair with book publisher Judith Regan, about his trysts in a city apartment meant as a place for police officials to rest near Ground Zero. Ray went public with his allegations about Kerik's gifts from the DiTomasso family. Kerik and the White House tried to ride it out. Giuliani advised Kerik through the political storm.

But then people at the Giuliani firm who were scouring Kerik's finances discovered that he had not paid Social Security taxes for a nanny who apparently was an illegal immigrant, Kerik later said. By Kerik's account, Giuliani told him he had to call the White House, and by the end of the day on Dec. 10, they agreed he had to pull out. Statements were issued after the evening news, and Giuliani came to console his friend.

"I made some major mistakes, and they catch up to you," Kerik told New York magazine a few months later. "I didn't focus enough on ethical issues. But I still believe that my successes over my 30-year career outweigh the errors in judgment." Except for the nanny, he said, "everything that's come out is stuff I either told the White House about or they already knew."

But more was to come. After Kerik withdrew, Ray became the central witness in several investigations. The New York Department of Investigation and the Bronx district attorney's office opened probes into Kerik's gifts using wiretaps, grand jury testimony and numerous e-mails Ray gave them.

In the e-mails, Kerik appears to be soliciting Ray for money. "I was going to ask you if we had between 18 and 2,000 available," Kerik wrote in 1999. Another time, Kerik mentioned financial difficulties and the apartment. "I've got to make sure we can do the renovations," he said. Sources familiar with the investigation said Kerik may challenge the authenticity of the e-mails if federal charges are filed, but the Bronx district attorney's office authenticated the e-mails as it brought its case against Kerik, according to lead investigator Stephen Bookin.

New Jersey gambling-enforcement authorities also filed a complaint in 2005 accusing Kerik of misusing his Giuliani administration jobs to solicit gifts from the DiTomassos, who have fought allegations of mob ties, while helping them try to win city business. Kerik asserted his Fifth Amendment right not to answer some questions in the proceedings. He pleaded guilty to two misdemeanors in New York court last summer, acknowledging that he had accepted the apartment renovations.

In the White House, there is still resentment toward Giuliani for foisting the problem on the president. "There are two people who are to blame for what happened -- Rudy Giuliani and Bernie Kerik," said one former White House official. Still, a senior administration official acknowledged some responsibility as well. Bush wanted "a hard-charging personality" to get the department in line, he said. "Instead, we ended up shooting ourselves in the foot."