Author Topic: Unusual things your pets eat  (Read 5618 times)

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
Unusual things your pets eat
« on: April 02, 2007, 07:48:02 PM »
I have yet to find something Scout doesn't like ~ nothing too weird ~ carrots, raisins, grapes, peppers, oranges, broccoli, spicey chilli, and of course, peanut butter  ;D
:

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
Re: Unusual things your pets eat
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007, 08:31:10 PM »
I love to put the PB on the roof of their mouths they always lick like crazy for a while  ;D  I like to have almonds and give Cody some one at a time, he chews each one up with a pretty funny look on his face.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007, 10:19:47 PM »
Well...this pup I don't give him anything other than his normal food.  He's been good & strong for almost 2 months now so I don't want to screw up his diet (he had yucky diarrhea).

But...when he is a good boy...vanilla ice cream or beer.  Yes damn dog LOVES beer.  I would think he would eat almost anything...but really can't say for sure w/o trying.

I did have a dog growing up as na kid that loved onions! 

My cat only eats "fish" stuff.  Give her chicken or beef things & she looks at you liked you "gotta be kidding me" look.

She'll refuse to eat it....no matter how hungry she is.

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2007, 05:23:06 AM »
I think every dog loves beer.  They have even marketed beer for dogs.

Princess L- there is a grape/raisin controversy about whether they are toxic to dogs and ferrets.  Some have died from eating them.  Now I believe that has been in large amounts, but just a heads up not to overindulge just to be safe.

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=2&cat=1939&articleid=2409

Grapes/Raisins
Veterinary & Aquatic Services Department, Drs. Foster & Smith, Inc.

Toxin
Thought to be due to an unknown compound in the "fleshy" part of the grape. There have been no problems associated with grape seed extract.

Source
Grapes and raisins.

General Information
Many dogs like raisins and grapes. They should only be given in a very limited amount on an infrequent basis, and should not be left where a dog or cat can have access to them. The unknown toxin damages the kidneys.

Toxic Dose
One known amount is 1 ounce of fruit per 2.2 pounds of body weight.

Signs
Vomiting, diarrhea, lack of appetite, lethargy, or abdominal pain.

Immediate Action
Induce vomiting and seek veterinary attention.

Veterinary Care
General treatment: The induction of vomiting may be continued, gastric lavage is performed, and activated charcoal administered, if needed.

Supportive treatment: The animal will be monitored and treated for kidney disease/failure with fluids, diet change, and medications.

Specific treatment: Unavailable.

Prognosis
Variable

Keep this and all other medications out of the reach of children and pets.

If you think your pet has been poisoned...

Contact your veterinarian or one of the Animal Poison Hotlines (listed below) if you think your pet may have accidentally received or been given an overdose of the medication.

**ASPCA National Animal Poison Control Center

1-900-443-0000 ($55.00 per case. The charge is billed directly to caller's phone.)

1-888-4ANI-HELP (1-888-426-4435. $55.00 per case, billed to caller's credit card only.)

Follow-up calls can be made for no additional charge by dialing 888-299-2973.

There is no charge when the call involves a product covered by the Animal Product Safety Service.

**Animal Poison Hotline – a joint service provided by North Shore Animal League America (NSAL) and PROSAR International Animal Poison Center (IAPC).

1-888-232-8870 ($35.00 per incident. The charge is billed to caller's credit card only.) Staffed 24-hours a day, 7 days a week.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2007, 09:00:09 AM »
I was going to say the same thing.....

I've been told by the VET that Grapes are NOT good for dogs.

EL Mariachi

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2007, 07:34:10 PM »
yesterday my dog vomited some big ass WOOD. he also likes grass ;D

Euro-monster

• Getbig V
  • Team Dutchie style!!
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2007, 03:02:51 AM »
Most dogs eat a little grass from time to time.
Most of the time they are eating grass to settle their stomach when they are a bit nauseous.
Then there are dogs who eat grass whenever they get the chance to do so like my Neoplitan bitch Roma.
I swear she was a cow in a previous life... ;D
?

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2007, 06:35:34 AM »
yesterday my dog vomited some big ass WOOD. he also likes grass ;D
That reminds me of my buddy's dog when it was a puppy.  He realized the pup was eating the landscape mulch when he saw some sticking out of it's butt. :-\
R

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2007, 07:10:00 AM »
That reminds me of my buddy's dog when it was a puppy.  He realized the pup was eating the landscape mulch when he saw some sticking out of it's butt. :-\

This prompts me to give the no cocoa mulch around dogs warning.  They like to eat it and it can be toxic.

Euro-monster

• Getbig V
  • Team Dutchie style!!
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2007, 10:54:10 AM »

Roma had a wooden stick coming out of her butt ones...i pulled it slowly out because it was almost 50 cm long.... :o
She was glad i helped her out... :)
?

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2007, 11:32:02 AM »
I think every dog loves beer.  They have even marketed beer for dogs.

http://www.beerfordogs.com/
:

babydoc

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2007, 02:57:23 PM »
My Sallie is a rum n' diet coke kinda girl...........just like her momma!!! ;D

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2007, 05:02:21 PM »
I knocked her down and took a stick and tried to get them out

;D    I am picturing you tackling her like a linebacker!

but it wasn't working very well so I grabbed them w/my hands and pulled and pulled until they were out. Those "yarn" toys should be outlawed  :P

;D

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2007, 05:03:18 PM »

Briona ate a used pad once.  It looked like it felt real good coming out.  I told her it served her right.

:)

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2007, 09:00:39 AM »
Most of the time they are eating grass to settle their stomach when they are a bit nauseous.
Then there are dogs who eat grass whenever they get the chance to do so like my Neoplitan bitch Roma.

My dog does the same.....I think he's just bored.  He'll eat every damn stick, wrapper, & grass on the ground.  One time I saw him drop his head while on a walk....but I didn't see him pick anything up.  I knew he had something in his mouth because the panting stopped & his mouth was closed.  I asked him to "drop it" & he looked up with the expression (in a muffled tone "nope...got nuttin...nope..nope....n ot at all".  So I stopped walking & he automatically sat at my heal....I said "drop it!" a little firmer....& he opened his mouth & a rock hit the ground. 

I wonder how long he planned on carrying that rock?

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2007, 09:07:15 AM »
That dog looks pretty happy Princess :)

One of these days...I need to try & get a picture of my dog.  He drinks beer straight from the bottle.  Whats funny is he reminds me of a lamb at a petting zoo when you feed them a bottle of milk.  His eyes get all funny (squinty/rolled back) & his ears drop straight down behind as he tilts his head back.

rockyfortune

• Getbig IV
  • "look, it's the drunk piano player."
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2007, 11:45:40 AM »

dude..my dog is the same way...grazes like a flippin' cow..

footloose and fancy free

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2007, 03:39:16 PM »
I can't believe how some of you people feed human food to dogs.

Incredible.

-Hedge
As empty as paradise

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2007, 03:50:35 PM »
I can't believe how some of you people feed human food to dogs.

Incredible.

-Hedge

yeah.....amazing

::)

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2007, 04:17:15 PM »
yeah.....amazing

::)

What I'm getting at, is that some of you have stopped caring for the dogs health, and are instead using them as some sort of replacement humans, including feeding them our foods, instead of dog food.

That's not caring.

I'm sure flower has more info on the subject, as she has lots of knowledge about dogs and their nutritional needs.

-Hedge
As empty as paradise

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2007, 04:19:20 PM »
What I'm getting at, is that some of you have stopped caring for the dogs health, and are instead using them as some sort of replacement humans, including feeding them our foods, instead of dog food.

That's not caring.

I'm sure flower has more info on the subject, as she has lots of knowledge about dogs and their nutritional needs.

-Hedge

Well, then that would include no store bought dog food either.

rockyfortune

• Getbig IV
  • "look, it's the drunk piano player."
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2007, 10:21:41 AM »

That's not caring.

-Hedge

some people would argue that dogs are still wild animals and can live very well on what is called ''human food''...i.e. chicken, pork, beef etc...i see it often in my dogs...they'll eat blood red beef, raw chicken, raw bones...and they hardly have digestive issues...
footloose and fancy free

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2007, 10:22:38 AM »
Prince loves apples....but only green

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2007, 11:06:10 AM »

How about "dog appropriate fare" instead?  It doesn't have the same "bag 'o dog food" connotation.

Besides, since I'm omnivorous there's bound to be some crossover.  I eat steak, so does the dog.  ;D

He knows he's not human.  Monster canine pride.

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2007, 06:20:59 AM »

That's not caring.

-Hedge

Dogs, cats, ferrets, are all carnivores.  Meat, bones, offals.   Not cooked, not put in a bag and preserved.   

Kibble is a convenience food for PEOPLE to feed pets.

Are you implying Hedgie, that dogs should only eat "food" that comes out of a bag labeled "dog food" ?