Author Topic: Low-Carb Tortillas & "Modified Wheat Starch"???  (Read 2256 times)

WhiteHulk4

• Getbig III
Low-Carb Tortillas & "Modified Wheat Starch"???
« on: April 11, 2007, 06:53:03 AM »
Mission makes "Carb Balance Tortillas" that are not the grainy, nasty, whole-wheat ones that are pretty much just pressed fiber.  They're actually white flour tortillas that taste just like the real thing.

What I don't get is "HOW DO THEY DO THAT"?  The label says: 18 Carbs/11 Fiber - so 7 net carbs. 

But the #1 ingredient is: "Modified Wheat Starch"???  What is that?

In any case, these things are AWESOME!  I just don't really understand how they can taste and feel like real tortillas, yet be so low in carbs?

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
  • 1687 confirmed kills and counting
Re: Low-Carb Tortillas & "Modified Wheat Starch"???
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 08:17:37 AM »
I haven't used the ones by Mission, but I am a huge fan/use or the low fat/low carb tortillas.  I use the ones by LaTortilla factory.  The ingredients are primarily oat fiber, whole wheat flour and soy flour.  This is the nutritional value for the small tortillas:

CAL: 80
FAT: 2g
PROTEIN: 5g
CARBS: 11g
FIBER: 8g

As you note, they taste great.  For me, they make it easy to meet my target for fiber (40g+ per day).  Invaluable.  Sorry I can't be much help on the "modified wheat starch" question.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 10:04:26 AM »

What I don't get is "HOW DO THEY DO THAT"?  The label says: 18 Carbs/11 Fiber - so 7 net carbs. 

But the #1 ingredient is: "Modified Wheat Starch"???  What is that?

I think it's another form of wheat gluten which is something you might want to avoid...
:

WhiteHulk4

• Getbig III
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2007, 11:01:25 AM »
Would you shut up about the wheat gluten ;D

I'm talking about tortillas and pasta, not wet dog food ;D

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2007, 01:33:11 PM »
Would you shut up about the wheat gluten ;D

I'm talking about tortillas and pasta, not wet dog food ;D

lol

HOWEVER ~ the wheat gluten that has been causing a problem in pet food was "FOOD GRADE" not "feed grade.  I have no doubt it has made its way into our food supply  ;)
: