Author Topic: CBS president Les Moonves on the Imus situation  (Read 2268 times)

militarymuscle69

• Getbig IV
  • You can't be a citizen unless you serve
CBS president Les Moonves on the Imus situation
« on: April 13, 2007, 05:31:02 PM »
"In our meetings with concerned groups, there has been much discussion of the effect language like this has on our young people, particularly young women of color trying to make their way in this society"

this is the reason he lists for firing Imus. So Imus calls them Nappy haired hoes one time and it holds back black women. But when they listen to Ludacris, Snoop dogg and others every bus trip on their MP3 players, that has no effect? I don't like what Imus said and I thought he was a boring ass DJ anyway, but isn't this a tad hypocritical? I bet these girls (black and white) on the team are out at dance clubs on the weekend listening to men call the bithces and hoes by choice.

http://gawker.com/news/don-imus/imus-is-done-says-les-moonves-251913.php?mail2=true
gotta love life

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
Re: CBS president Les Moonves on the Imus situation
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2007, 05:39:37 PM »
"In our meetings with concerned groups, there has been much discussion of the effect language like this has on our young people, particularly young women of color trying to make their way in this society"

this is the reason he lists for firing Imus. So Imus calls them Nappy haired hoes one time and it holds back black women. But when they listen to Ludacris, Snoop dogg and others every bus trip on their MP3 players, that has no effect? I don't like what Imus said and I thought he was a boring ass DJ anyway, but isn't this a tad hypocritical? I bet these girls (black and white) on the team are out at dance clubs on the weekend listening to men call the bithces and hoes by choice.

http://gawker.com/news/don-imus/imus-is-done-says-les-moonves-251913.php?mail2=true

The thing in your assertion here that's missing is that CBS is a business. 

In principle you are exactly right.

Even though i don't agree with firing him, CBS had to make a business decision.  Just as Sony records or whatever has to make business decisions with Ludacris.  If Ludacris sells records calling people hoes, then Sony will keep making his records.  The minute he does something that would cause them to lose money, Sony will drop him like "Imus"

You gotta remember, Imus can still say what ever he wants.
  So he still has freedom of speech!

militarymuscle69

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2007, 05:44:37 PM »
The thing in your assertion here that's missing is that CBS is a business. 

In principle you are exactly right.

Even though i don't agree with firing him, CBS had to make a business decision.  Just as Sony records or whatever has to make business decisions with Ludacris.  If Ludacris sells records calling people hoes, then Sony will keep making his records.  The minute he does something that would cause them to lose money, Sony will drop him like "Imus"

You gotta remember, Imus can still say what ever he wants.
  So he still has freedom of speech!

no no, I agree...CBS had no choice. I am asking about the girls. They act like there life is over, I actually thikn one woman said exactly that...but then they go to tge club and listen to much worse stuff everyweekend...
gotta love life

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2007, 05:47:29 PM »
no no, I agree...CBS had no choice. I am asking about the girls. They act like there life is over, I actually thikn one woman said exactly that...but then they go to tge club and listen to much worse stuff everyweekend...

lol,  there lives aren't over!  They have the world by the ass.  They will graduate from college with degrees and they played college basketball.  They are just fine.  The only way they could screw it up is by making poor choices from this point on.

militarymuscle69

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2007, 05:55:07 PM »
lol,  there lives aren't over!  They have the world by the ass.  They will graduate from college with degrees and they played college basketball.  They are just fine.  The only way they could screw it up is by making poor choices from this point on.

oh I agree, I am just saying what they are saying. I mean the coach said it would take time before they could accept Imus's apology...then on the way home listened to Luda's Area Codes
gotta love life

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2007, 06:03:40 PM »
I suspect Imus was fired primarily because a lot of his advertisers pulled out. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2007, 06:29:29 PM »
People are whiny bitches.

Yes, it was fcked up to say, and yes he lost his job.

For those who have been insulted to go on Oprah, well, IMO that shows they don't want an apology and to forget about it.  They are embracing the spotlight and the attention and probably, book deals.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2007, 06:34:32 PM »
People are whiny bitches.

Yes, it was fcked up to say, and yes he lost his job.

For those who have been insulted to go on Oprah, well, IMO that shows they don't want an apology and to forget about it.  They are embracing the spotlight and the attention and probably, book deals.

from what I've heard something like 100 of his sponsors pulled out ( I have no clue out of how many).

If you were running a business and 100 of your customers stopped doing business because they were offended by one of your employees what would you do?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2007, 06:55:32 PM »
from what I've heard something like 100 of his sponsors pulled out ( I have no clue out of how many).

If you were running a business and 100 of your customers stopped doing business because they were offended by one of your employees what would you do?

Fire him.

But my beef is with the crybabies who are still deeply offended, saddened, crushed, belittled, and humiliated 10 days after the comment.

They got their apology and Imus lost tens of millions of dollars from being fired.

it's probably the most costly verbal snafu in history.

If they're still crying, they're overdoing it bigtime, and need to STFU already. 

The man lost tens of millions of dollars.  It's even now.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2007, 07:03:47 PM »
Fire him.

But my beef is with the crybabies who are still deeply offended, saddened, crushed, belittled, and humiliated 10 days after the comment.

They got their apology and Imus lost tens of millions of dollars from being fired.

If they're still crying, they're overdoing it bigtime, and need to STFU already.  

agreed

militarymuscle69

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2007, 08:24:18 PM »
Fire him.

I agree with 240, CBS had it's hand to force him, but don't listen to rap music everyday and hear the way they bash women and then have one comment made about your hair and cry about it
gotta love life

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2007, 09:06:31 PM »
We have a man who spent his life and fortune helping sick children live longer and die with dignity.

The man said something offensive.

He lost a job worth tens of millions of dollars.

I can't think of ONE person who gave so much, then lost so much, because of one commment.  And I think in the long run, this will be viewed as going overboard.  Hell, he wanted to add a black voice to his show and completely change the format to help more black causes.  They would have had a powerful, indebted allynamed Imus who spent the rest of his career trying to make things better. 

instead, now fired, they'll likely put in another schmoe who will do nothing to help their cause.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2007, 09:48:08 PM »

We have a man who spent his life and fortune helping sick children live longer and die with dignity

The man said something offensive.

He lost a job worth tens of millions of dollars.

I can't think of ONE person who gave so much, then lost so much, because of one commment.  And I think in the long run, this will be viewed as going overboard.  Hell, he wanted to add a black voice to his show and completely change the format to help more black causes.  They would have had a powerful, indebted allynamed Imus who spent the rest of his career trying to make things better. 

instead, now fired, they'll likely put in another schmoe who will do nothing to help their cause.

dude who cares

he's got no claim to lifetime employment

he fucked up - even if by accident

no different really than a professional athlete who has a career ending injury

nothing to say he won't come back

he is still alive and healthy and has millions of dollars

who cares

I don't

militarymuscle69

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2007, 09:21:43 AM »
dude who cares

he's got no claim to lifetime employment

he fucked up - even if by accident

no different really than a professional athlete who has a career ending injury

nothing to say he won't come back

he is still alive and healthy and has millions of dollars

who cares

I don't

I care because I am tired of hypocrisy..serious tell me how these girls can listen to urban music everyday and then be offended by one single comment?
gotta love life

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2007, 09:42:39 AM »
I care because I am tired of hypocrisy..serious tell me how these girls can listen to urban music everyday and then be offended by one single comment?

The girls on the Rutgers basketball team had NOTHING to do with getting him fired.  He got fired because his sponsors abandoned him.  Granted that was most certainly due to a coordinated public protest by Sharpton and other but that's free speech on the part of those people.

If Imus is still viable in the market place he will get a new job.

If not then I guess he can devote more time to his ranch for sick kids which isn't such a bad downside either 

militarymuscle69

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2007, 09:47:27 AM »
The girls on the Rutgers basketball team had NOTHING to do with getting him fired.  He got fired because his sponsors abandoned him.  Granted that was most certainly due to a coordinated public protest by Sharpton and other but that's free speech on the part of those people.

If Imus is still viable in the market place he will get a new job.

If not then I guess he can devote more time to his ranch for sick kids which isn't such a bad downside either 

holy shit you guys can't read..I didn't say anything about him being fired..I know why he was fired...I DON"T CARE HE GOT FIRED!!! I don't like watching these whiny bitches go aroung TV saying it will take time to accept his apology becase it scared them, yet after the show they put on their MP3 players and pump bitches and hoes into their head on the trip home.
gotta love life

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2007, 10:06:27 AM »
holy shit you guys can't read..I didn't say anything about him being fired..I know why he was fired...I DON"T CARE HE GOT FIRED!!! I don't like watching these whiny bitches go aroung TV saying it will take time to accept his apology becase it scared them, yet after the show they put on their MP3 players and pump bitches and hoes into their head on the trip home.

I agree.  Why don't you change the channel.  That's what I usually do.

militarymuscle69

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2007, 10:07:59 AM »
I agree.  Why don't you change the channel.  That's what I usually do.

I agree, they used to play him in the carsio room (not allowed to change the channel) and I couldn't stand to even look at him. I was like "why do people listen to this guy?" That cowboy hoat always gave me a good chuckle
gotta love life

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2007, 11:18:49 AM »

MM I would agree, if the players listen to that kind of music.  Aren't you assuming they do? 

militarymuscle69

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2007, 11:28:23 AM »
MM I would agree, if the players listen to that kind of music.  Aren't you assuming they do? 

I would have to guess, and it has nothing to do with race, that at their age they spend alot of time in dance clubs where this music is all they play.
gotta love life

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2007, 11:32:26 AM »

Right, this is all about good ol' American capitalism. 

If there's a chance to make a buck (legitimately), then people should absolutely go for it.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2007, 11:41:54 AM »
whether the girls were offended by the remarks or listen to rap music is irrelevant.

The people who pay Imus's salary (his sponsors and by extension their customers) have the right to be offended by his remarks.  His employers also have the right to be offended and/or to say that they don't want him representing their company.

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
  • More proof God is a man.
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2007, 11:48:35 AM »
I couldn't care less if Imus was let go. If his actions caused sponsors to drop the program and subsequently drop revenues then he deserved to be fired. My issue is with Moonves giving Sharpton a private audience and talking to Jackson to get his opinion.

It was shameless pandering to those two crooks.

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2007, 04:23:43 PM »

Sponsors wouldn't have pulled out if Al Sharpton hadn't created a media frenzy. I doubt the average american, or even educated black people actually give a damn about Imus and what he had to say. Of course no one will dare speak out because it would be politically incorrect.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2007, 05:30:02 PM »
Sponsors wouldn't have pulled out if Al Sharpton hadn't created a media frenzy. I doubt the average american, or even educated black people actually give a damn about Imus and what he had to say. Of course no one will dare speak out because it would be politically incorrect.

Actually it was first reported by mediamatters.org and then Sharpton and other ran with it.  People have the right to make up their mind about it regardless of whether they heard it first hand or found out about it later.   If people (inluding Imus's) employer didn't find it offensive then it wouldn't be an issue.