Author Topic: Who Wins in Iraq?  (Read 2096 times)

BayGBM

• Getbig V
Who Wins in Iraq?
« on: April 14, 2007, 11:16:09 AM »
Newspaper headlines consistently remind us of the failures coming out of Iraq. But, if wars always produce losers, it is also true that most wars have their fair share of winners, too. So, four years into the fighting, what institutions, countries, ideas, or individuals are better off because of the war? Who, in essence, are Iraq’s winners?

1.  Iran
After nearly 25 years of wrestling with Saddam Hussein, Iran’s Shiite rulers have the war to thank for their newfound power.

The new Iraq was supposed to be a model for the Middle East and a threat to Iran’s theocracy. Instead, Iran has emerged as the biggest winner of the United States’ war. There is little stability or democracy in Iraq to impress Iranians. Conjuring more fear than hope, the war did nothing to loosen the grip of clerical rule over the country. Iranians rejoiced in the fall of Saddam, who fought an eight-year war against their country that killed hundreds of thousands of people, many by chemical weapons. For Iran, the war in Iraq turned out to be a strategic windfall, uprooting Baathism and pacifying a nemesis that had been a thorn in its side for much of the 20th century. Iraq’s new Shiite—and in good measure, Kurdish—masters enjoy friendly ties with Iran. It was no coincidence that Iran was the first of Iraq’s neighbors to recognize its new government and to encourage Iraqis to participate in the political process introduced by the United States.

In the political vacuum that followed Saddam’s fall, Iranian influence quickly spread into southern Iraq on the back of commercial connections—driven by a growing volume of trade and a massive flow of Iranian pilgrims into shrine cities of Iraq—and burgeoning intelligence and political ties. Iran’s influence quickly extended to every level of Iraq’s bureaucracy, Shiite clerical and tribal establishments, and security and political apparatuses. The war turned a large part of Iraq into an Iranian sphere of influence, and equally important, paved the way for Iranian hegemony in the Persian Gulf. With the Iraqi Army gone, there is no military bulwark in the Persian Gulf to contain Iran’s expansionist ambitions.

Iraq also changed the context for U.S.-Iran relations. The Bush administration, having named Iran as part of an “Axis of Evil,” categorically ruled out dealing with it—even after the two countries successfully collaborated over the fate of Afghanistan after the fall of the Taliban in 2001. Regime change in Tehran was Washington’s mantra in 2002. Yet, since the war in Iraq began four years ago, Washington has balked at seriously engaging Iran—despite the impasse over the nuclear issue, Iran’s support for Hezbollah and Hamas, and virulent attacks against Israel. Instead, the United States has decided that the path to regional stability lies in confrontation and rolling back Iran’s regional influence. However, growing anti-Americanism in the Arab world, combined with the expanding U.S. military commitment to Iraq, will make it difficult for Washington to contain Iran easily. In short, Iraq has strengthened Iran and weakened the United States.

Still, Iran’s gains are matched by new challenges. Tehran may no longer have much to fear from those who rule Baghdad, but the chaos brewing within Iraq’s borders makes Iranian rulers nervous. A failed Iraq—or worse, a warring Iraq infested with radical ideologies and ruled by violent militias—threatens Iran’s stability. Kurdish autonomy or independence could disturb Iran’s own delicate Kurdish situation. Arab capitals are abuzz with talk of the Iranian threat, raising the specter of an anti-Iranian regional alignment. The war in Iraq has turned Iran into the bugbear of the region. But that is ultimately a price Iran is willing to pay for winning in Iraq.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
Re: Who Wins in Iraq?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2007, 11:17:17 AM »
2.  Moqtada al-Sadr
3. Al Qaeda
4. Samuel Huntington
5. China
6. Arab Dictators
7. The Price of Oil
8. The United Nations
9. Old Europe
10. Israel

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2007, 11:21:13 AM »
2.  Moqtada al-Sadr
3. China
4. Samuel Huntington
5. China
6. Arab Dictators
7. The Price of Oil
8. The United Nations
9. Old Europe
10. Israel

Gee Bay, ...I don't see the USA anywhere on your list. ???
w

militarymuscle69

• Getbig IV
  • You can't be a citizen unless you serve
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2007, 11:30:26 AM »

and his opinion is all that matters in the world....
gotta love life

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2007, 11:36:27 AM »

The list was compiled by the editors of Foreign Policy magazine.  This subject is their current cover story.

http://www.foreignpolicy.com/story/cms.php?story_id=220

militarymuscle69

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2007, 12:00:43 PM »
The list was compiled by the editors of Foreign Policy magazine.  This subject is their current cover story.

oh my bad...since they can see the future ask them what #s to play at the roulette table tonight
gotta love life

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2007, 12:03:48 PM »

Does that mean that the editors of Forign Policy magazine don't think the USA is even among the top 10 winners in the war in Iraq?  Interesting.... hmmmm.
w

militarymuscle69

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2007, 12:09:53 PM »
Does that mean that the editors of Forign Policy magazine don't think the USA is even among the top 10 winners in the war in Iraq?  Interesting.... hmmmm.

So today you guys are taking everyword that these editors say as gospel, funny..if they had an opinion different than yours you would have been calling them idiots. I respect their opinion but, you guys act like they posted facts or something
gotta love life

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2007, 12:10:55 PM »
Bin Laden #1. His mission accomplished.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2007, 01:00:40 PM »
I was reading FP in the library yesterday.  If you get it at your library this article on "Iraq's Sticker Price" is worth a read.

Iraq's Sticker Price
The White House estimated that the Iraq war would cost $50 billion. Today, it’s closing in on 10 times that amount. And those are just the costs we know about...

By Gordon Adams

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
  • More proof God is a man.
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2007, 01:04:13 PM »
Certainly not us. I'm paying $2.80 a gallon for gas, and that's 87, the lowest grade of gas.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2007, 02:53:11 PM »

Rich White people will win, just as they planned.

militarymuscle69

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2007, 02:56:05 PM »
Certainly not us. I'm paying $2.80 a gallon for gas, and that's 87, the lowest grade of gas.

it went to $3.07 here in Vegas today, glad I'm only here a short time
gotta love life

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2007, 03:57:14 PM »
Bin Laden #1. His mission accomplished.

bin laden died in late 2001/early 2002 in Egypt.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2007, 05:00:53 PM »
it went to $3.07 here in Vegas today, glad I'm only here a short time

you all are big babies!  :)

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2007, 05:02:00 PM »
Rich White people will win, just as they planned.

Don't forget those jews.. Not trying to be racist here, but it's the fucking truth.

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2007, 07:12:41 PM »
you all are big babies!  :)

:o

And I was complaining about paying $2.80 a gallon.

militarymuscle69

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2007, 07:37:21 PM »
Don't forget those jews.. Not trying to be racist here, but it's the fucking truth.

wait, so you can say that..point out a "truth" about Jews but if I say a crime is more likely to be committed by a black (which I can back up with stats) I am a racist? I am losing count of the hyprocrisy on here
gotta love life

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2007, 08:14:02 PM »
wait, so you can say that..point out a "truth" about Jews but if I say a crime is more likely to be committed by a black (which I can back up with stats) I am a racist? I am losing count of the hyprocrisy on here

I don't have a problem with what you said. What I do have a problem with is you trying to run away from what you said by blaming "libs." I've insulted blacks, hispanics, jews and other ethnic groups on these forums and I've been honest about it.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2007, 08:14:55 PM »

You know, ...there's a way to save yourself 7 - 14% or possibly more on your fuel costs.

That's like gassing up at a station selling gas at $2.40 while everyone else is charging $2.80.

Would you purposely intentionally choose $2.80 gas over $2.40 gas? ...cause that what you're doing without using the MPG-CAP. The sad part is, you're already paying for the MPG-CAP in the cost of your fuel.
w

militarymuscle69

• Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2007, 08:19:54 PM »
bin laden died in late 2001/early 2002 in Egypt.

naturally you can prove that...I mean you wouldn't post something that isn't backed with facts..well aside from all of your 9/11 posts
gotta love life

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2007, 09:52:56 PM »
You know, ...there's a way to save yourself 7 - 14% or possibly more on your fuel costs.

That's like gassing up at a station selling gas at $2.40 while everyone else is charging $2.80.

Would you purposely intentionally choose $2.80 gas over $2.40 gas? ...cause that what you're doing without using the MPG-CAP. The sad part is, you're already paying for the MPG-CAP in the cost of your fuel.

Oh geez. Sorry Jag, I'm not buying.

And I'm not really sure the Politics board is the place for you to be marketing whatever scam product you're trying to unload on potential suckers customers.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2007, 09:57:53 PM »
Oh geez. Sorry Jag, I'm not buying.

And I'm not really sure the Politics board is the place for you to be marketing whatever scam product you're trying to unload on potential suckers customers.

Cardio,
You brought up the price of your gas, ...it simply follows that I'm gonna mention how you can save 7 - 14%
If you want to continue to overpay at the pump, ...by all means you're free to do so, ...but don't slander me or my product by calling it a scam, ...especially when you know nothing about it.

ps - The only suckers are those who continue to overpay for fuel.  8)
w

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2007, 10:06:39 PM »
Explain this product.  I say this not as a buyer but as someone who has heard about how you operate on this site.
Squishy face retard

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2007, 10:08:22 PM »
Cardio,
You brought up the price of your gas, ...it simply follows that I'm gonna mention how you can save 7 - 14%
If you want to continue to overpay at the pump, ...by all means you're free to do so, ...but don't slander me or my product by calling it a scam, ...especially when you know nothing about it.

ps - The only suckers are those who continue to overpay for fuel.  8)

Jag,

Sorry if you think I slandered your product but you might want to read a few of the studies out there stating just that. I just spent 5 minutes reading what came up when I typed MPG Caps into Google. And quite a few VERY reputable sources have called your product just what I called it.

And I'll state my first point again, I don't think the Politics board is the place for you to troll for potential suckers customers.