Author Topic: Define "Torture"  (Read 1151 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Define "Torture"
« on: April 14, 2007, 11:48:17 AM »
This word has been thrown around quite a bit over the past several years.  My view of "torture" has been that it is the infliction of pain (pulling fingernails, beatings, etc.).  I guess it could involve a mental aspect without physical pain.  Now, it seems like simply rough treatment is "torture."  Here are some web definitions:

Definitions of torture on the Web:

anguish: extreme mental distress
unbearable physical pain
agony: intense feelings of suffering; acute mental or physical pain; "an agony of doubt"; "the torments of the damned"
torment: torment emotionally or mentally
distortion: the act of distorting something so it seems to mean something it was not intended to mean
subject to torture; "The sinners will be tormented in Hell, according to the Bible"
the deliberate, systematic, or wanton infliction of physical or mental suffering by one or more persons in an attempt to force another person to yield information or to make a confession or for any other reason; "it required unnatural torturing to extract a confession"
wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

Torture is the infliction of severe physical or psychological pain as an expression of cruelty, a means of intimidation, deterrent or punishment, or as a tool for the extraction of information or confessions.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torture

A form of play that involves intense sensation. This is not necessarily pain. It is usually directed towards a single part of the body. Teasing, which is starting then stopping a particular attention, may be considered torture
www.grimesgrafix.com/welts/glossary.html

severe mental anguish or physical pain
encarta.msn.com/dictionary_1861720977/torment.html

How do you define torture? 

militarymuscle69

• Getbig IV
  • You can't be a citizen unless you serve
Re: Define "Torture"
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2007, 11:59:07 AM »
This word has been thrown around quite a bit over the past several years.  My view of "torture" has been that it is the infliction of pain (pulling fingernails, beatings, etc.).  I guess it could involve a mental aspect without physical pain.  Now, it seems like simply rough treatment is "torture."  Here are some web definitions:

Definitions of torture on the Web:

anguish: extreme mental distress
unbearable physical pain
agony: intense feelings of suffering; acute mental or physical pain; "an agony of doubt"; "the torments of the damned"
torment: torment emotionally or mentally
distortion: the act of distorting something so it seems to mean something it was not intended to mean
subject to torture; "The sinners will be tormented in Hell, according to the Bible"
the deliberate, systematic, or wanton infliction of physical or mental suffering by one or more persons in an attempt to force another person to yield information or to make a confession or for any other reason; "it required unnatural torturing to extract a confession"
wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

Torture is the infliction of severe physical or psychological pain as an expression of cruelty, a means of intimidation, deterrent or punishment, or as a tool for the extraction of information or confessions.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torture

A form of play that involves intense sensation. This is not necessarily pain. It is usually directed towards a single part of the body. Teasing, which is starting then stopping a particular attention, may be considered torture
www.grimesgrafix.com/welts/glossary.html

severe mental anguish or physical pain
encarta.msn.com/dictionary_1861720977/torment.html

How do you define torture? 

problem beach is all of those are open for interpretation. Some people suffer mental anguish over bills, some people consider cold to be extremely painful
gotta love life

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2007, 12:30:55 PM »
problem beach is all of those are open for interpretation. Some people suffer mental anguish over bills, some people consider cold to be extremely painful

I agree.  That's why I asked the question.  I don't think everyone uses the same definition. 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2007, 12:35:57 PM »
I agree.  That's why I asked the question.  I don't think everyone uses the same definition. 

you'll know it if it's happening to you.   

militarymuscle69

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2007, 12:41:52 PM »
you'll know it if it's happening to you.   

true, vietnam POWs had fingernails pulled out and didn't fear for thier life enough to talk. The brits in Iran didn't get desert and talked
gotta love life

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2007, 12:51:37 PM »
true, vietnam POWs had fingernails pulled out and didn't fear for thier life enough to talk. The brits in Iran didn't get desert and talked

I am surprised at what pussys the Brits appeared to be. 

militarymuscle69

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2007, 02:58:36 PM »
I am surprised at what pussys the Brits appeared to be. 

me too, because I have spent alot of months drinking beer in their tents while deployed (US doesn't provide beer) and I always thought they were a gun ho tough group
gotta love life

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2007, 03:41:30 PM »
Geneva.

That is all.  The US agreed to terms and Bush un-agreed by re-classifying people.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2007, 09:26:29 PM »
I think this Al Capone quote summarizes my definition:

"Give me a blowtorch and a pair of pliers and I'll make any man talk"

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2007, 09:48:33 PM »
I think this Al Capone quote summarizes my definition:

"Give me a blowtorch and a pair of pliers and I'll make any man talk"

lol.   ;D

Here is what Jose Padilla considers torture:

Padilla's lawyers claim that during the 3 1/2 years Padilla was held as an "enemy combatant" at a Navy brig he was routinely subjected to harsh treatment and torture.

He claimed that he was forced to stand in painful stress positions, given LSD or some other drug as a "truth serum," subjected to loud noises and noxious odors, and forced to endure sleep deprivation, extreme heat and cold and harsh lights.

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=140641.0

I'd say drugs, yes, but the rest is debatable.

militarymuscle69

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2007, 10:09:08 PM »
lol.   ;D

Here is what Jose Padilla considers torture:

Padilla's lawyers claim that during the 3 1/2 years Padilla was held as an "enemy combatant" at a Navy brig he was routinely subjected to harsh treatment and torture.

He claimed that he was forced to stand in painful stress positions, given LSD or some other drug as a "truth serum," subjected to loud noises and noxious odors, and forced to endure sleep deprivation, extreme heat and cold and harsh lights.

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=140641.0

I'd say drugs, yes, but the rest is debatable.

serious that's it? no waterboarding? and this is the stuff that human rights watch is raising a stink about. Of course I am willing to bet Jag and Ribo will agree this cruel and unusual
gotta love life

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2007, 10:20:11 PM »
serious that's it? no waterboarding? and this is the stuff that human rights watch is raising a stink about. Of course I am willing to bet Jag and Ribo will agree this cruel and unusual

Yeah.  They didn't give him a blanket at night.  Boo hoo.   :'(