Author Topic: Thanx ~flower  (Read 1412 times)

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
Thanx ~flower
« on: April 23, 2007, 07:44:35 PM »
Thank you for the top 3 stickies.  I'm starting to look at things in a whole new light.

BTW ~ what is tripe  ???
:

knny187

• Getbig V
Re: Thanx ~flower
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2007, 10:26:30 PM »
Thank you for the top 3 stickies.  I'm starting to look at things in a whole new light.

BTW ~ what is tripe  ???

Tripe is the stomach of ruminating animals. These animals (i.e. cattle, buffalo, sheep, deer, goats, antelope, etc.) are classified as being four-footed, hooved, cud chewing mamals with a stomach that consists of four chambers. The four chambers of such a stomach are known as the rumen, reticulum, omasum and the abomasum. The food the animal eats (i.e. grass, hay) is swallowed unchewed and passes into the rumen and reticulum where it is then regurgitated, chewed and mixed with saliva. It is again swallowed and then passed through the reticulum and omasum into the abomasum, where it is then further broken down by the gastric juices, amino acids and other digestive enzymes. Yummy!

this was from:

www.greentripe.com

On my personal experience with it....

I've never given anything to a dog....that you could tell they love the taste like they do with tripe. 

When we gave the dog some tripe...it was the only thing I could see him be territorial over.  He did not like his tripe being messed with or the thought of being taken from him.

He seriously would 'hum' a low tone while he ate.  It was kind of funny actually.

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2007, 06:43:22 AM »
Yes tripe is ambrosia to dogs!!  It kinda smells like cow manure, wash your hands really good after touching it.   Unlike the tripe you would find in the store for people, this is right out of the cow, it's the stomach (or it could be from deer, pig or whatever, but I believe all sold for pet consumption is cow).  It hasn't been bleached and scalded and cleaned. It really is a greeny brown color.

You can get it where knny mentioned  www.greentripe.com or depending on your location you can go to:

http://www.aplaceforpaws.com/

which is where I go because they are in Ohio and shipping is WAY cheaper for me in NY.  I(Greentripe.com is in CA.)  I also order the Beef n Bones from them too.  My parents actually gave me a gift certificate to them for Xmas.  They asked me what I wanted/needed!  ;D

They have pre-ground products, chicken, lamb, rabbit, turkey, pork, for people who prefer ground or don't want to have to deal with touching the meat and offals (STella!!), but again, it is more expensive than feeding whole products you can get right at the grocery store or butchers.  They can add some variety too, which is why I buy the tripe and beef n bone from them.  The beef has some ground bone in it, most beef products at the store the bones are too hard for them to consume, plus it has some heart and other organs (ingredients: Beef muscle meat, green tripe with peck, beef liver, beef fat, beef heart, beef blood, beef bone, flaxseed, kelp - all finely ground.)  I stay away from their w/veggies mixes because I don't feed veggies.  Some people do though.

It's another alternative way to feed raw, but you would need to have a freezer to store it in.

Euro-monster

• Getbig V
  • Team Dutchie style!!
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2007, 07:00:17 AM »
I wish we has stores like that in my country...it sure would make feeding raw a whole of a lot easyer... :-\

Why you don't feed veggies Flower?
?

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2007, 07:32:07 AM »
I wish we has stores like that in my country...it sure would make feeding raw a whole of a lot easyer... :-\

Why you don't feed veggies Flower?

Cause they are carnivores.    ;D    When I first started feeding raw I did give pulped veggies, usually green leafy mainly, stayed away from the nightshade family because they aren't good for joint, and would mix them in with some ground beef. But then I just stopped.  I have considered tossing some in once in awhile but I never do.  For those that would like to feed veggies you have to pulp them, they can't break down the cellulose wall and stick with dark green leafies, mustard greens, dandelion, I would throw in some yellow squash sometimes. Oh- I avoided carrots and starchy veggies because of yeast and skin problems. 

But if I was going to feed veggies I would still buy the pre-ground raw without veggies because why should I pay for veggies?   :P I would rather add them in!  Plus then you can stay away from any that might aggravate skin or joint problems.

Now, for those that say that wild wolves eat the stomach of prey which would contain some grasses the animal had eaten and therefore they need veggies, it has been shown that the wolves first shake the innards, there by ridding most of the stomach contents.   :)

And the pre-ground or freeze dried raw may be easier, but it is more expensive and like with kibble, you are not in as much control as to the ingredients.  But what really is so hard about handing out a chicken back, or pork neck, or putting some offals in a bowl?  It really is not rocket science.