Author Topic: my dog has problem with cats  (Read 5807 times)

EL Mariachi

• Getbig V
my dog has problem with cats
« on: May 07, 2007, 03:37:36 PM »
what can i do to make him behave against the cats. He always chases them. if he would catch one he would bite them to death i think. he did fight with male cats when he was younger, you know the kind of cats that put up a challange and attack him, so maybe thats got to do with him always searching and chasing cats?

knny187

• Getbig V
Re: my dog has problem with cats
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2007, 04:11:53 PM »
Honestly....it's tough to make a dog behave.  We started ours since a pup to "like cats" & give them kisses.

Now all the poor cats he comes in contact with gets their buts sniffed & a soaking wet head after he licks them to death.

Euro-monster

• Getbig V
  • Team Dutchie style!!
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007, 04:57:02 AM »
Thats the only way to go....start when they are a puppy and socialize them with cats. If your dog is grownup it will be a hell of a job keeping him from running after a cat.
?

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2007, 05:21:59 AM »
You've got to teach him "leave it".    Means he can look but he can't touch.  It can apply to anything.     Something he finds on a walk, something he picks up in the house, another dog, a cat, whatever.   Actually that is about the one command that my dogs usually obey me on.   ::)   

Except for the beagle bastards yard I sometimes walk by with Addie, if they see another dog they usually don't react, but if they start too I tell them to "LEAVE IT" like I mean it, with a quick correction on the leash to redirect them back to me.

I wouldn't even try to get him to like cats at this point (he's not a puppy anymore correct?) just work on getting him to know that he can't chase or even go near them.

Euro-monster

• Getbig V
  • Team Dutchie style!!
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2007, 05:31:52 AM »
 If your dog has conditioning ed this behavior it will be very difficult for him to "leave it" ...you will be jerking his neck to the point of a neck hernia... :-\
It really depence on the size and breed of the dog ....i noticed that in terrier breeds it is far more difficult to teach them something else if they are doing it all their lives. Molosser breeds are far more of a "thinking" breed so they tend to try and really understand what it is you want from them and then act like it.
?

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2007, 05:41:10 AM »
If your dog has conditioning ed this behavior it will be very difficult for him to "leave it" ...you will be jerking his neck to the point of a neck hernia... :-\
It really depence on the size and breed of the dog ....i noticed that in terrier breeds it is far more difficult to teach them something else if they are doing it all their lives. Molosser breeds are far more of a "thinking" breed so they tend to try and really understand what it is you want from them and then act like it.

But he could start using "leave it" in other areas too.  For anything the dog is not supposed to have or is thinking that he wants and shouldn't have.    "Leave it" is a good command, because your dog could get into anything and it might save his life if he obeys that one command. 

Euro-monster

• Getbig V
  • Team Dutchie style!!
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2007, 05:53:50 AM »
But he could start using "leave it" in other areas too.  For anything the dog is not supposed to have or is thinking that he wants and shouldn't have.    "Leave it" is a good command, because your dog could get into anything and it might save his life if he obeys that one command. 

Sure it is but for him to get his dog to leave the cats alone i'm afraid it will take more then a new command to get him to focus on something else.
Thats why i'm more for training him with the "leave it" command while giving him a treat every time he focussus on him instead of the cat in front of him.
In due time the dog will come to him everytime he sees a cat walking down the street and will expect to get something nice to eat.... ;D
?

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2007, 08:59:04 AM »
Instead of the word "no" we use the word "out".  "Out" seems to be just as effective as leave it.  Of course...the second most common word is "drop it". 

I know....I just contradicted myself - lol

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2007, 10:17:53 AM »
Sure it is but for him to get his dog to leave the cats alone i'm afraid it will take more then a new command to get him to focus on something else.
Thats why i'm more for training him with the "leave it" command while giving him a treat every time he focussus on him instead of the cat in front of him.
In due time the dog will come to him everytime he sees a cat walking down the street and will expect to get something nice to eat.... ;D

Yes, with a treat involved. But he could be reinforcing the command by using "leave it" in other areas.  Like he is eyeing the steak on the counter.   ::)

Instead of the word "no" we use the word "out".  "Out" seems to be just as effective as leave it.  Of course...the second most common word is "drop it". 

I know....I just contradicted myself - lol

Out instead of no?  But then what do you say when you want him to go out?  I  use drop it to sometimes if they already have something in their mouth.   

I also find  "Don't even fucking think about it"  works too.
    :)

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2007, 10:46:42 AM »

I also find  "Don't even fucking think about it"  works too. [/size][/color]    :)

I hear "Tad what the hell are you doing?!" is quite effective also.
R

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2007, 11:45:24 AM »
Instead of..."do you have to go out?"

it's....

"wanna go outside?  gotta go potty? or wanna go for a walk?'

honestly...he has his ways of saying he's gotta go outside.  Usually he'll pant alot or he'll just sit there & stare at you & let out a little "arf"

He's a pretty quiet dog & doesn't bark alot....so when he says "arf or woof"....kinda know he's gotta go

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2007, 11:53:24 AM »
I hear "Tad what the hell are you doing?!" is quite effective also.

Who wants to get their ass beat?, is another favorite.   :)

Instead of..."do you have to go out?"

it's....

"wanna go outside?  gotta go potty? or wanna go for a walk?'

honestly...he has his ways of saying he's gotta go outside.  Usually he'll pant alot or he'll just sit there & stare at you & let out a little "arf"

He's a pretty quiet dog & doesn't bark alot....so when he says "arf or woof"....kinda know he's gotta go

I've just never heard of saying "out" for no.  But if it works, then who cares!

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2007, 12:38:32 PM »
I guess it's common

Alot of people try to refrain from a common household word of "no"

So....out is one form.  I thought at the very first of trying it....it was different...now I don't think anything of it

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2007, 12:50:08 PM »
A lot of people try and refrain from using "no" and the dog's name at the same time.   It is just "No", so they don't associate their name with something bad.     But good So&So, using there name for good things is encouraged.

Of course with more than one dog you sometimes have to use a name with the correction.

I just can't picture saying "OUT" to correct them.   Then I would have to say "do you want to go No?  Who needs to go No?   Get no out of the car Briona! (when she jumps in when I open the door)
::)

EL Mariachi

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2007, 12:56:56 PM »
look my dog listens to me all the time, except with cats. expecially when he is not on a chaine. when see sits in the garden, and the cats are near the fence, eh goes crazy, thenhe doesnt listen, or sees the treat. its like he forgets about everything, and just wants to grab the cat.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2007, 01:37:30 PM »
like I said...i thought it was different too....but since we started him on this...I have run into other people that do the same thing....I guess it's not all that different

gotta go potty?  gotta go for a walk?

seems to work just fine

Laura Lee

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2007, 10:59:06 AM »
I can say just about anything and my dog just jumps like a mexican jumping bean, but if I say "what's this?" (doesn't matter what my voice is, stern, happy, etc.) he drops down to the floor dragging his belly, and crawls away (kinna like jimmy in your avatar, lol) looking back with those HUGE eyeballs and ears pinned back.  It is so sad, lol.
:D Weee

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2007, 11:36:47 AM »
Tad does the same thing!  You'd think I beat him!

He'll crawl over that way too. On his belly, back legs outstretched like he's storming the beach!  Or when you go to pick him up he slouches down.

I thought he would outgrow that, but I guess that is just him. His tail will be wagging a mile a minute though. 

When he gets really excited he is like a bee, he can't sit still.

Laura Lee

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2007, 11:56:50 AM »
Tad does the same thing!  You'd think I beat him!

He'll crawl over that way too. On his belly, back legs outstretched like he's storming the beach!  Or when you go to pick him up he slouches down.

I thought he would outgrow that, but I guess that is just him. His tail will be wagging a mile a minute though. 

When he gets really excited he is like a bee, he can't sit still.

It's weird isn't it?  They (chi's) are the cutest little things.  I just love my Rocky.  He is finally getting used to going to the bathroom outside.  I had to keep restricting "his" space smaller and smaller so that he would stop peeing inside.  Now he holds it until he is taken outside.  :)

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2007, 12:38:05 PM »
It's weird isn't it?  They (chi's) are the cutest little things.  I just love my Rocky.  He is finally getting used to going to the bathroom outside.  I had to keep restricting "his" space smaller and smaller so that he would stop peeing inside.  Now he holds it until he is taken outside.  :)

Tad has a pee pad still in the house but he will hold it most of the time. It was easier in the winter, and I still don't trust him out there that long, I am afraid he will find another spot to squeeze through in the fence, so if I want to take a shower or something I can put the other dogs out but I leave him inside.  When he's outside I have to keep doing head counts.  Or I could put him on a light rope or something on a harness?  With it getting nicer out I hate to have to restrict him, but I can't risk losing him.   :-\

Laura Lee

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2007, 12:49:50 PM »
Tad has a pee pad still in the house but he will hold it most of the time. It was easier in the winter, and I still don't trust him out there that long, I am afraid he will find another spot to squeeze through in the fence, so if I want to take a shower or something I can put the other dogs out but I leave him inside.  When he's outside I have to keep doing head counts.  Or I could put him on a light rope or something on a harness?  With it getting nicer out I hate to have to restrict him, but I can't risk losing him.   :-\
Maybe you can put him on a line.  He would have plenty of running room.  Just use a harness style collar.

Euro-monster

• Getbig V
  • Team Dutchie style!!
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2007, 05:10:50 AM »
Maybe you can put him on a line.  He would have plenty of running room.  Just use a harness style collar.

If you do that make sure theres nothing he can hang himself on...i've seen it with cats ....not a pretty sight....
?

Laura Lee

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2007, 05:42:38 AM »
If you do that make sure theres nothing he can hang himself on...i've seen it with cats ....not a pretty sight....
That's why I suggest a harness instead of a regular collar.  The harness goes around the body as well, not just the neck.  So they can't hang themselves by their neck.

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2007, 05:47:50 AM »
I only use a harness on him. I don't like collars for small dogs even just for a walk.  Especially when you are used to having a 90pound and up dog on the end of the leash.   ::)

My dogs only wear collars or a harness for walks.  They are naked otherwise.   :-X

I tried those "breakaway" safety collars once because I always worry that they will be wrestling and someone will get a jaw stuck in a collar, so I put them on and went to the store.  When I got back one was already off and chewed up.

So much for that.

Laura Lee

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2007, 05:52:38 AM »
I only use a harness on him. I don't like collars for small dogs even just for a walk.  Especially when you are used to having a 90pound and up dog on the end of the leash.   ::)

My dogs only wear collars or a harness for walks.  They are naked otherwise.   :-X

I tried those "breakaway" safety collars once because I always worry that they will be wrestling and someone will get a jaw stuck in a collar, so I put them on and went to the store.  When I got back one was already off and chewed up.

So much for that.

I had a white samoyed 20 years ago, that hung itself by it's collar.  She was only a puppy.  I don't use collars anymore either and Rocky goes naked indoors too!