Author Topic: Senate Democrats Plan to Seek No-Confidence Vote on Attorney General Gonzales  (Read 7528 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Idiots.  No crime was committed, can't get him to resign, so they resort to this?  Pretty desperate.

Senate Democrats Plan to Seek No-Confidence Vote on Attorney General Gonzales
Thursday, May 17, 2007

WASHINGTON  —  Two Senate Democrats said Thursday they will seek a no-confidence vote on Attorney General Alberto Gonzales over accusations that he carried out President Bush's political agenda at the expense of the Justice Department's independence.

Sens. Chuck Schumer of New York and Dianne Feinstein of California, who have led the investigation into the conduct of White House officials and Gonzales, said the attorney general has been too weakened to run the department.

Just when such a vote might occur in the Senate was uncertain.

Their announcement is the latest in a series of blows suffered by Gonzales this week, including new criticism from Republicans and the prediction of one GOP veteran that the investigation into the firings of federal prosecutors would end with the attorney general's resignation.

Sen. Arlen Specter of Pennsylvania, the senior Republican on the Senate Judiciary Committee, said Thursday that the Justice Department can't properly protect the nation from terrorism or oversee Bush's no-warrant eavesdropping program with Gonzales at the helm.

Hagel Joins Group Calling for Gonzales' Resignation Ex-Aide: Ashcroft, Mueller Nearly Quit Over Secret Wiretaps Attorney General Gonzales Says He Relied on Former Deputy About Attorney Firings Justice Department No. 2 Paul McNulty to Resign Judge Approves Immunity for Former Justice Department Aide in Firings Probe "I have a sense that when we finish our investigation, we may have the conclusion of the tenure of the attorney general," Specter said during a committee hearing. "I think when our investigation is concluded, it'll be clear even to the attorney general and the president that we're looking at a dysfunctional department which is vital to the national welfare."

His comment echoed new criticism of Gonzales this week. Former deputy attorney general James Comey testified that Gonzales tried to get his predecessor as attorney general, John Ashcroft, to approve Bush's eavesdropping program as Ashcroft lay in intensive care.

Asked twice during a news conference Thursday if he personally ordered Gonzales and then-White House chief of staff Andrew Card to Ashcroft's hospital room, Bush refused to answer.

"There's a lot of speculation about what happened and what didn't happen. I'm not going to talk about it," Bush said.

The tale inspired Sen. Chuck Hagel, R-Neb., to become the fourth Republican senator to call for Gonzales' resignation. Sen. Pat Roberts, R-Kan., joined in the criticism.

"When you have to spend more time up here on Capitol Hill instead of running the Justice Department, maybe you ought to think about it," Roberts told The Associated Press.

Judiciary Committee Chairman Patrick Leahy, who has not called for Gonzales' resignation, agreed.

"I have absolutely no confidence in the attorney general or his leadership," said Leahy, D-Vt.

Bush has stood by his longtime friend and adviser, the key to Gonzales' hold on his job.

But just when some predicted that Gonzales had survived the furors over the firings, Comey's testimony helped broaden the Democrat-led probe into whether the attorney general politicized the Justice department at the White House's behest.

Gonzales has said only eight U.S. attorneys were targeted for dismissal. But the Justice Department, over nearly two years, listed as many as 26 prosecutors after concerns were raised about their performances, a senior government official familiar with the process said Thursday.

The Justice Department said it fully supports all of its current U.S. attorneys. The list of 26 names was first reported Thursday by The Washington Post.

Many of the names on various and changing lists of prosecutors under scrutiny "clearly did not represent the final actions or views of the department's leadership or the attorney general," said Justice spokesman Dean Boyd. He said the lists "reflect Kyle Sampson's thoughts for discussion during the consultation process."

Sampson, Gonzales' former chief of staff, oversaw the review that drove the firings. He resigned in March as a result of the department's botched handling of the dismissals.

The developments came as Democrats sought more testimony from current and former Justice Department officials. House Democrats announced that Gonzales' former White House liaison, Monica Goodling, would testify next week under a grant of immunity.

At issue is whether the department, at the White House's urging, tried to cause problems for Democrats by facilitating voter fraud cases and others involving corruption.

Comey's testimony this week further weakened Gonzales among Republicans as well as Democrats.

According to Comey, Gonzales in 2004 pressured Attorney General John Ashcroft to certify the legality of Bush's no-warrant eavesdropping program. The conversation took place at Ashcroft's hospital bedside as the attorney general recuperated from pancreatitis.

Ashcroft rebuffed Gonzales, but the White House certified the program's legality anyway. Faced with the resignations of Ashcroft, Comey and FBI Director Robert Mueller, Bush ordered the program be changed to accommodate Justice's objections.

Democrats said his testimony appeared to contradict Gonzales' account in February 2006, when he told two congressional panels that there had "not been any serious disagreement about the program."

Dean Boyd, a Justice Department spokesman said Gonzales' testimony "was and remains accurate."

Joining Hagel in demanding Gonzales' resignation are GOP Sens. John Sununu of New Hampshire, Tom Coburn of Oklahoma and John McCain of Arizona, who is a presidential candidate. House Republican Conference Chair Adam Putman of Florida also has called for a new attorney general.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,273235,00.html

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Idiots.  No crime was committed, can't get him to resign, so they resort to this?  Pretty desperate.

Six repub senators have called for him to resign.

Are those 6 republicans idiots?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Six repub senators have called for him to resign.

Are those 6 republicans idiots?

Only if they vote for this dumb "no confidence" resolution. 

egj13

• Getbig III
  • Got life by the balls
we really need to waste tax dollars on this? Serious, there are much more important things

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
we really need to waste tax dollars on this? Serious, there are much more important things

Tell me about it.  They hired one of the most expensive law firms in the country to help with this witch hunt, and all they can come up with is a stupid no confidence resolution.  It is an absolute waste of our tax dollars. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
this man has INCREDIBLE power.

and he either forgets tons of shit that happens recently... or he's lying.

either way, incompetent and/or liars don't belong in a positon this powerful.

If you believe the top lawyer in the land can be this forgetful or lying (and can ignore the numerous outright contradictory things he's told congress), then it means one thing: YOU HAVE LOW STANDARDS FOR YOUR LEADERS.

And if you do, you're a shitty american.

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
Tell me about it.  They hired one of the most expensive law firms in the country to help with this witch hunt, and all they can come up with is a stupid no confidence resolution.  It is an absolute waste of our tax dollars. 

which firm did they hire?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
which firm did they hire?

Arnold & Porter.  Up to $25k a month!  An outrageous waste of my money.   >:(

Now hiring: Attorneys to assist the attorneys in the US Attorney investigation   
Democrats on the House Judiciary Committee have retained an outside law firm to help them in their investigation into the firing of U.S. Attorneys. The contract permits the law firm of Arnold & Porter to spend as much as $25,000 a month consulting the Committee. Attorney Irvin Nathan (a veteran of the Carter and Clinton Justice Departments) has confirmed that he has been retained by the Committee, though the contract is still subject to final approval.

According to draft contract language obtained by Court TV, the law firm will "assist Democratic members of the Committee on the Judiciary with issues related to the termination of U.S. Attorneys by the Bush Administration, possible misrepresentations to Congress, interfering with investigations, and matters related thereto." The contract states that it is subject to the approval of the Committee on House Administration.

How unusual is it for a congressional committee staffed by legions of lawyers to hire expensive outside counsel? It depends on whom you ask. One Republican House staffer characterized it as "rare." Another source told me that outside counsel was hired during other congressional investigations such as Whitewater and Iran-contra.

Meanwhile, we have a call in to the office of House Judiciary Chairman John Conyers. We'll update you on any response.

http://blog.courttv.com/inside/attorney_general_investigation/index.html

egj13

• Getbig III
  • Got life by the balls
this man has INCREDIBLE power.

and he either forgets tons of shit that happens recently... or he's lying.

either way, incompetent and/or liars don't belong in a positon this powerful.

If you believe the top lawyer in the land can be this forgetful or lying (and can ignore the numerous outright contradictory things he's told congress), then it means one thing: YOU HAVE LOW STANDARDS FOR YOUR LEADERS.

And if you do, you're a shitty american.

Who says I believe him? But can you give me an instance where he has impacted the US on a large scale?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
Who says I believe him? But can you give me an instance where he has impacted the US on a large scale?

YES!

The man runs the fooooking justice department.

He is the #1 man in the JUSTICE DEPT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Decker

• Getbig V
I don't think it's a waste of resources and here's why:

Atty. Gen. Gonzales has been less than forthright in his answers to Congressional questions.  He gave the appearance that he doesn't know what is going on in the Justice Dept. which he heads.  He has appeared either out of touch or incompetent--answering that he didn't recall information 71 times is horrible.

He serves at the president's pleasure.  Sending this message, on the record, of 'no-confidence' lets the president and the public know that a large section of the government no longer reposes trust or confidence in the man's capabilities.

The ball's in the president's court and he still has full faith in the abilities of Mr. Gonzales.  He hasn't explained why but I'm sure the issue will come up again.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
He is either a liar, or dangerously forgetful.

Do you want a liar running the top law enforcement agency in the nation during a time when terrorists want to kill us?  Gonzalez can't remember what he did last week.  do you want a guy that numb to be in charge of decisions which keep out bad guys and foil plots?

No offense, but when you defend him (because you think it's about defending Bush), you're compromising your family's safety.  I want a SMART, SHARP motherfvcker running the justice dept - someone with brains, a good memory, and the ability to outthink criminals and jihadists.

Do you think Gonzalez could outwit a fvcking paper bag?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
I don't think it's a waste of resources and here's why:

Atty. Gen. Gonzales has been less than forthright in his answers to Congressional questions.  He gave the appearance that he doesn't know what is going on in the Justice Dept. which he heads.  He has appeared either out of touch or incompetent--answering that he didn't recall information 71 times is horrible.

He serves at the president's pleasure.  Sending this message, on the record, of 'no-confidence' lets the president and the public know that a large section of the government no longer reposes trust or confidence in the man's capabilities.

The ball's in the president's court and he still has full faith in the abilities of Mr. Gonzales.  He hasn't explained why but I'm sure the issue will come up again.

Decker they don't need Arnold & Porter at $25K a month to come up with a dumb no confidence resolution, which in all likelihood will be a party-line vote.  They already wasted our money on these witch hunt hearings and came up with nothing.  This is obviously a partisan attack.  We shouldn't waste money on partisan witch hunts.

Decker

• Getbig V
Decker they don't need Arnold & Porter at $25K a month to come up with a dumb no confidence resolution, which in all likelihood will be a party-line vote.  They already wasted our money on these witch hunt hearings and came up with nothing.  This is obviously a partisan attack.  We shouldn't waste money on partisan witch hunts.

I think the purpose is legitimate.  The Atty. Gen. does not appear competent or in control. 

I don't think it is a witch hunt to point that out to the public and to the president. 

What is the alternative?  Let him slide?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
I think the purpose is legitimate.  The Atty. Gen. does not appear competent or in control. 

I don't think it is a witch hunt to point that out to the public and to the president. 

What is the alternative?  Let him slide?

Actually, the purpose was to determine whether the AG broke the law, not to do  one of the most expensive job evaluations in U.S. history. 

What exactly is he sliding on?  What law did he break?

Decker

• Getbig V
Actually, the purpose was to determine whether the AG broke the law, not to do  one of the most expensive job evaluations in U.S. history. 

What exactly is he sliding on?  What law did he break?

I'm not alleging he broke the law. 

I'm alleging that he gives the appearance of not having command of his department or his faculties.  A memory that faulty must have some explanation.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
Beach Bum must be okay with terrorists attacking the US.

After all, he wants to keep THE MOST FORGETFUL A.G. IN HISTORY in his job.

Most of us would prefer a man without amnesia be in charge of the agency which keeps us safe.

Not Beach Bum.  He likes our nation's top lawyer to forget things. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
I'm not alleging he broke the law. 

I'm alleging that he gives the appearance of not having command of his department or his faculties.  A memory that faulty must have some explanation.

Dude this entire fiasco started because they accused Gonzales of firing these U.S. Attorneys for "political reasons," to interfere with criminal investigations, and that he lied to Congress about it.  They struck out on all three.  The issue then morphed to "incompetence."  This is a manufactured, partisan controversy. 

I don't blame him one bit for his "faulty" memory.  We have a guy (Scooter) going to prison based on comments he made about a crime that never happened.  With that backdrop, when you have a partisan group of senators and congressmen who have hired Arnold & Porter for the sole purpose of finding out whether or not you committed a crime, and you are questioned like a criminal, you give them as little as possible.   

egj13

• Getbig III
  • Got life by the balls
YES!

The man runs the fooooking justice department.

He is the #1 man in the JUSTICE DEPT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not much of an example of how he has had impact on day to day operations.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
Not much of an example of how he has had impact on day to day operations.

i could waste my time and list his job description.

But since we know that you are okay with the head of justice dept being moronically forgetful, it's clear you're beyond using reason to reach positions.

AE

• Getbig III
  • Retribution is Certain
Arnold & Porter.  Up to $25k a month!  An outrageous waste of my money.   >:(

Chicken feed. Whitewater investigation cost $50,000,000.00 with a finding of insufficient evidence against the Clintons. Now there is an outrageous waste of money and manpower. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
50 mil spend on whitewater.

13 mil spent on 9/11.

You figure that one out ;)

egj13

• Getbig III
  • Got life by the balls
i could waste my time and list his job description.

But since we know that you are okay with the head of justice dept being moronically forgetful, it's clear you're beyond using reason to reach positions.

So basically you have nothing to show that he had had a negative impact on the US. That my friend is why I don't care about him. He isn't impacting things here. You show me he has and I will criticize right behind you.

Mr. Intenseone

It's a political ploy by the Dems.....it's worthless, their only doing for public support, the Pres has the ultimate decision!

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Chicken feed. Whitewater investigation cost $50,000,000.00 with a finding of insufficient evidence against the Clintons. Now there is an outrageous waste of money and manpower. 

And the money spent on Whitewater is chicken feed compared to the national debt. 

Neither one has anything to do with this particular partisan witch hunt.