Author Topic: Salt Water Aquariums  (Read 4907 times)

gmflex

• Getbig V
  • The Empire lives...you rebel scum!!!
Salt Water Aquariums
« on: June 16, 2007, 11:28:32 PM »
Does anybody have a saltwater Aquarium?
Reef tank??

post pics.... ;)

I'm setting up a 90 gallon reef ready corner flow tank.
I should be finishing the setup/cycling of the system
within the next 2 weeks..

I'll post pics ;D

emn1964

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Salt Water Aquariums
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2007, 08:25:30 AM »
I've got a 60 gallon tropical tank.  I've done alot of research on salt water tanks and would like to start one too.  Tropical fish just can't compare in beauty to the saltwater fish.  Let me know how it goes.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2007, 02:42:24 PM »
Does anybody have a saltwater Aquarium?
Reef tank??

post pics.... ;)

I'm setting up a 90 gallon reef ready corner flow tank.
I should be finishing the setup/cycling of the system
within the next 2 weeks..

I'll post pics ;D
Shitload of work. If you keep up on it, they are unmatched in beauty. If you let it slip, as I did the last couple of weeks, you end up pulling all kinds of algae out of your tank.

Do yourself a favor though, stick with chromis damsels as break in fish, the domino and the velvet become very territorial and will fuck up the "good" fish you put in later. And, I know from experience, it is quite a pain in the ass to rip all your rock and coral out of your tank just to catch a bastard fish >:(

enjoy your setup ;D

did you get a calcium reactor, protien skimmer, chiller, and what kind of lights are you running?
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

beatmaster

• Getbig IV
  • Save a tree, eat a beaver
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2007, 03:04:29 PM »

well, i have 3 tanks, and decided to try a nano reef tank (one year old), looks good now.
are you delusional?

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2007, 04:16:03 PM »
get some of these

:)
R

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2007, 06:02:42 PM »
get some of these

:)

yes, they are cute, but deadly in a reef tank.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2007, 11:19:44 PM »
I have 5 right now, down from 10 when I moved last summer.   >:(

I have a 75 gallon reef in my bedroom, a 55 gallon salt water fish only  in my kitchen (with my stars and stripes puffer in it), a 30 gallon salt (with my dogface puffer in it) in my living room,  a 20 gallon (with some assorted little things and a gobie in it) in my living room and a 30 gallon in my spare bedroom with my Grouper in it.   

I've also got a few freshwater tanks.   

I had to get rid of my pride and joy---a 180 gallon reef tank (235 gallon complete system) when I moved last summer.   I just about cried.

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2007, 06:55:49 AM »
Any pics?     :)

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2007, 04:34:20 PM »
I have 5 right now, down from 10 when I moved last summer.   >:(

I have a 75 gallon reef in my bedroom, a 55 gallon salt water fish only  in my kitchen (with my stars and stripes puffer in it), a 30 gallon salt (with my dogface puffer in it) in my living room,  a 20 gallon (with some assorted little things and a gobie in it) in my living room and a 30 gallon in my spare bedroom with my Grouper in it.   

I've also got a few freshwater tanks.   

I had to get rid of my pride and joy---a 180 gallon reef tank (235 gallon complete system) when I moved last summer.   I just about cried.
what kind of grouper you got in that 30? Seems like you have small tanks for the fish you keep(grouper,dogface)

Too bad about the 180, should have kept the big one and gotten rid of the little ones. In my opinion it would have been more enjoyable.
Sounds like you've got a full plate anyways 8)
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

freespirit

• Getbig V
  • Revolt!
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2007, 02:57:12 AM »
I'm going to dive in the Red Sea (Egypt) on July 26  till August 3. One big salt water aquarium.  8)

I'll see if I can lent an underwater camera to make me some pics. One of the dive spots will be Elphinstone Reef. Hopefully I see lot's of hammerheads and maybe an ocasional oceanic whitetip.

http://www.redsea-diving.info/welcome%20_pages/welcome_elphinstone.htm

wood

• Competitors II
  • Getbig III
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2007, 11:36:44 AM »
I don't have one of my own, but I visited this one when at the beach last week, I think my favorite thing was the smaller reef fish and the worst part was seeing the 10 month old Loggerhead turtle that was huddled in corner and looked miserable. 

http://www.ncaquariums.com/ff/ffindex.htm
i

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2007, 03:53:32 PM »
what kind of grouper you got in that 30? Seems like you have small tanks for the fish you keep(grouper,dogface)

Too bad about the 180, should have kept the big one and gotten rid of the little ones. In my opinion it would have been more enjoyable.
Sounds like you've got a full plate anyways 8)

I have a juvenile "Red Hind" grouper and a juvenile "Dogface" puffer.  Both of them will outgrow the tanks they are in. 

The problem with the 180 was moving it.   It's just too heavy for the floor boards in the house I'm living in now.  I don't have a concrete floor in the basement to put it on. 

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2007, 09:54:00 PM »
I have a juvenile "Red Hind" grouper and a juvenile "Dogface" puffer.  Both of them will outgrow the tanks they are in. 

The problem with the 180 was moving it.   It's just too heavy for the floor boards in the house I'm living in now.  I don't have a concrete floor in the basement to put it on. 
ah yes, the old raised floor house :'( It's too bad, my buddy has a 180 reef set up, it's awesome. I have a 60 reef and I'm staying with that, elevated wood floors also. :'( "red Hind" doesn't ring a bell as far as what it looks like, but the dogface is just that, a dogface ;D

Cool man.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

gmflex

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2007, 11:23:59 PM »
Tank is going great so far ;D
I recieved a shipment of coral,inverts,and fish today from florida :D
If everything goes alright :o
I'll post pics soon.. ;)

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2007, 09:48:26 AM »
I have a 90 aggressive fish only that's owned by my 12" miniatus grouper! LOL! Coolest damn fish ever! Thinking of adding a baby cat shark to the mix if he miniatus doesn't try to eat him and kill them both when I introduce him to the tank.

gmflex

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2007, 06:04:05 PM »
very nice...
i currently have a 90 gallon reef ready tank.
This an expensive hobby :o :o

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2007, 09:00:10 PM »
very nice...
i currently have a 90 gallon reef ready tank.
This an expensive hobby :o :o
yes, it can be very expensive.

I bought a "vampire psuedochromis" to eat the bristle worms ( I know I should have had a hold tank ::) ) he ended up eating several shrimp and some small fish before I could get him out of my tank >:(
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

gmflex

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2007, 05:55:37 AM »
ouch :o :o :o

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2007, 10:40:04 PM »
This is my 75 gallon aquarium last fall about 6 months after we moved it 700 miles across country.  I've had some problems with the purple coraline algae bleaching a bit over the winter since the move, but otherwise its doing pretty good.

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2007, 05:42:36 AM »

Cool!!    But I don't see any fish? 

Lord Humungous

• Getbig V
  • REVOLUTION CALLING!
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2007, 06:30:26 AM »
Hey guys, you might find this site to be some help and a good place to get coral. Blane is a good dude, Ive been training with his cousin at the gym for about 15 years. Hes always willing to give you some advice and he has corals that even some zoos dont have! check him out a www.thesea.org
X

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2007, 10:33:27 AM »
  Cool!!    But I don't see any fish? 
This was the second of two pictures I took.  the first one I used the flash, which spooked the fish.

There is a pair of maroon clowns, a coral beauty, and a dragon goby in the tank.  The maroon clowns are a breeding pair, so they basically kick the living shit out of (ie kill) most of the fish I've tried to add to the tank.  For some reason they've ignored the coral beauty and the dragon goby. 

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2007, 09:09:29 PM »
This was the second of two pictures I took.  the first one I used the flash, which spooked the fish.

There is a pair of maroon clowns, a coral beauty, and a dragon goby in the tank.  The maroon clowns are a breeding pair, so they basically kick the living shit out of (ie kill) most of the fish I've tried to add to the tank.  For some reason they've ignored the coral beauty and the dragon goby. 

the coral beauty is usually more agressive than the clowns and the dragon goby isn't a threat? I don't know, fish are strange. I have a clown goby that does the same thing, certain fish, when I add them he chases them around for days, sometimes till they are no more :'(
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2007, 10:45:16 AM »
the coral beauty is usually more agressive than the clowns and the dragon goby isn't a threat? I don't know, fish are strange. I have a clown goby that does the same thing, certain fish, when I add them he chases them around for days, sometimes till they are no more :'(

nah, these are Maroon clowns---the most aggressive clown fish species. They killed the other two coral beauties I put in this tank with this one.  For some reason they let this one live.  The dragon goby pretty much lives on the other side of the tank away from the clowns anenome and he dives under the rock when they come close.

I had something weird like the clowns letting this one fish live happen a few years back with one of my snapping turtles.  I put several goldfish and minnows in the tank wtih the snapper (it was about a 15 lb male) as "enrichment food" who proceeded to mince all of the fish but the littlest one over the course of a week.  For some reason that turtle never ate that fish.  The fish grew to the point of it being too big for the tank with the snapping turtle--and the turtle never ate it.  I ended up turning the fish out into a friends garden pond.       It has never made sense to me why the turtle spared the life of that one fish.   

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2007, 12:51:55 PM »
nah, these are Maroon clowns---the most aggressive clown fish species. They killed the other two coral beauties I put in this tank with this one.  For some reason they let this one live.  The dragon goby pretty much lives on the other side of the tank away from the clowns anenome and he dives under the rock when they come close.

I had something weird like the clowns letting this one fish live happen a few years back with one of my snapping turtles.  I put several goldfish and minnows in the tank wtih the snapper (it was about a 15 lb male) as "enrichment food" who proceeded to mince all of the fish but the littlest one over the course of a week.  For some reason that turtle never ate that fish.  The fish grew to the point of it being too big for the tank with the snapping turtle--and the turtle never ate it.  I ended up turning the fish out into a friends garden pond.       It has never made sense to me why the turtle spared the life of that one fish.   

I had that happen with my two turtles a few years ago.. I put about 15 fish in their tank and they ate all of them but the 4 white ones. They sparred them and never bothered them. Would swim right up to them and touch them but never showed any type of aggression. It boggled me as well to why it went down that way. They let the fish get so big I had to get rid of the fish as well.  ??? ??? ???