Author Topic: Lungs burning while running.  (Read 5150 times)

Wynd

• Getbig I
Lungs burning while running.
« on: June 27, 2007, 08:30:05 PM »
I just got a treadmill recently and when i run on it my lungs keep burning.  It feels like i just got done running in really cold conditions.  This never happend to me when i use to run outside.  I cant figure out why its happening, i am not winding myself really bad either.  For about an hour after running i can feel my lungs burning constantly.  Im only doing sprints at 10mph 10% incline so it shouldnt be making me feel this bad.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
Re: Lungs burning while running.
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2007, 08:53:02 PM »
See a doctor if it continues; it's too vague to get anything other than speculation here.

Mike

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2007, 03:45:37 AM »
I just got a treadmill recently and when i run on it my lungs keep burning.  It feels like i just got done running in really cold conditions.  This never happend to me when i use to run outside.  I cant figure out why its happening, i am not winding myself really bad either.  For about an hour after running i can feel my lungs burning constantly.  Im only doing sprints at 10mph 10% incline so it shouldnt be making me feel this bad.

Speculation:  Suck it up!   You're probably out of shape.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2007, 08:33:57 AM »
Have to agree with Mike. When not accustomed to different breathing demands this can happen at first. Using a treadmill and regular running are never the same. Something like when first start a breathing squat scheme. The lungs feel like their on fire. After getting use the the lung's expanding from the inside out, the feeling should go away. I assume your running in a closed room and not in a garage. If either event, try getting a fan blowing in the area for more circulation of air. If running in a garage there may be unwanted fumes from car or other chemical in the area. More reason for a circulation fan. Good Luck.
F

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2007, 08:40:00 AM »
Welcome to cardio...take it as a sign you're not as fit as you thought you were. ;) :D

If you get a stitch though...stop. If your side starts to hurt and it gets harder to breath..it'll only become worse. It hurts and it's harder because you're forcing so much air into your lungs that it's over filling and forced out of the lung tissue itself and into the peritinium (sac that surrounds all organs in the body) between your lungs and your diaphragm and continues to grow and cause more pain. It gets absorbed quickly if you stop running but beware of it. Dont' worry either..everyone gets them...your bodyjust has to get used ot it like every other kind of training.

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2007, 10:32:18 AM »
Welcome to cardio...take it as a sign you're not as fit as you thought you were. ;) :D

If you get a stitch though...stop. If your side starts to hurt and it gets harder to breath..it'll only become worse. It hurts and it's harder because you're forcing so much air into your lungs that it's over filling and forced out of the lung tissue itself and into the peritinium (sac that surrounds all organs in the body) between your lungs and your diaphragm and continues to grow and cause more pain. It gets absorbed quickly if you stop running but beware of it. Dont' worry either..everyone gets them...your bodyjust has to get used ot it like every other kind of training.

Exactly - sounds like you're just unfit. My lungs would be burning at 10mph for running that long.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2007, 10:41:08 AM »

My thought too.

Stick with it for a few weeks, if it gets worse, see a doctor.

But IMO, people in todays modern world are looking too quick for a quick fix via medications.

They think they got asthma or something, when they may just be out of shape.

Hang in there, if it's not getting better, see a doctor.

-Hedge
As empty as paradise

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2007, 10:44:18 AM »
tha'ts right..stick with it..it takes about two weeks or so to really get used to running..a week at shorter distances...yoru body just has to adjust to profusing blood correctly and air accordingly to keep up with your activity. this is why it's called CARDIO. It's a cardiovascular intensifying exercise.

Wynd

• Getbig I
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2007, 01:08:33 PM »
Alright thanks guys, ill keep at it and let everyone know how it goes.

Dr. D

• Getbig III
  • Vince and Derek: Match made in GetBig Heaven!
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2007, 01:11:55 PM »
Breath in fresh ginger tea or use the essential oil in hot water. Helps to
moisten the lungs.

The Coach

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2007, 01:20:25 PM »

Yep. Different type of conditioning, you might be able run for miles at a constant pace, but when sprinting it's waaaay different and more intense.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2007, 11:19:03 AM »
You could try moving the treadmill outside for a few sessions to see if it's just the air quality in the house that's the problem.  Air indoors is usually much dirtier than "fresh air."

runnerbabe

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2007, 08:26:14 PM »
  Im only doing sprints at 10mph 10% incline so it shouldnt be making me feel this bad.
[/quote]

For every percentage of incline you are adding intensity---so at that pace-- after not having run for awhile, you should feel THAT BAD! In this heat, set up a fan, for many ---it's hard to exercise if humidity is high.

Keep with it though-- it too shall pass.

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
  • 1687 confirmed kills and counting
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2007, 10:18:00 AM »
were you exposed to asbestos?

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2007, 09:03:14 PM »
were you exposed to asbestos?

I have a friend who is having a lung removed Friday because of that  :'(
:

dizzleman06

• Getbig III
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2007, 11:52:43 AM »
I too went for a run this morning and when i got done, my lungs were burning like fire, but I have been running like this for a month at least.  But i did push the threshold today.  I was trucking!  just gotta suck it up man, do work~!!!!