Author Topic: Cannot master close grip presses?  (Read 3731 times)

Big Lee

• Getbig II
  • Roadhouse was a great movie.
Cannot master close grip presses?
« on: June 28, 2007, 07:34:54 PM »
I need more inner chest and tri thickness and have a smith machine.  I just cant seem to master the technique for close-grip presses?  I have long arms and am 6 feet, 2 inches.  Thanks guys.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
Re: Cannot master close grip presses?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2007, 07:48:33 PM »
I need more inner chest and tri thickness and have a smith machine.  I just cant seem to master the technique for close-grip presses?  I have long arms and am 6 feet, 2 inches.  Thanks guys.

It's hard to do with a smith machine, because the path of the bar isn't straight up:

Shoulder width, bring the bar towards the lower part of the ribcage/almost the upper part of the abs.

Some guys even touch at the upper abs.

At the top of the lift, tha barbell should be as in a normal benchpress, above the shoulders.

Is the smith machine all you got to work with?

I recommend using a regular benchpress.

-Hedge
As empty as paradise

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2007, 07:54:31 PM »
I'm 6'2" also and I tend to bring the bar to my nipples and then back up.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2007, 08:17:17 PM »
I'm 6'2, so it must be 6'2 night.

Everything depends by what you mean by a close grip.18" 12", 8", or 6" is the usual gripping space. But a Smith Machine is not the best piece of equipment for close gripping BP's (or even regular BP's). It does not follow the natural "S" curve when benching and does not allow enough natural flexability in the hands/wrist and forearms. Not to mention the shoulder girdle. Too much unneeded stress leads to a injury. Most close grip BP's are started from around the upper ab/lower chest region.

As HedgeHog suggested, if you have a regular straight bar, than you may want to use that instead. If still a problem, than if your a gym member they should have a ticep bar (Olympic style is longer and let's more weight to be used) that allows the fingers to face you when pressing off a bench (Hammer grip). Much more of a natural grip for BP'ing. Can always use a pair of DB's in the finger facing you position (Hammer grip), which may be better than a regular straight bar in the long run. Gives a more nature twist and flow to the exercise. Less stress on all the joints.Touch the DB's together at the top of the lift.  Of course alternate with regular BP's and/or closer grip dips to hit the pec's hard. Good Luck.
F

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2007, 08:54:21 PM »

You're vague on what the problem is, which makes it hard to know what to suggest.

Try putting your hands on angles, with the fingers closer than the palms, using a 10-12" grip. That's something that should help that can be done on a Smith and not with a barbell.

Big Lee

• Getbig II
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2007, 04:39:27 PM »
OK, sorry for being vague. I do have Olympic benches, I just have limited opportunities for spotters so was trying to get away with the smith.  I hate the smith.  At the moment I do v-bar pushdowns, dips and lying EZ extesnions.  My tris are pretty good.  I just want to master a compound move like closegrip presses but after 3.5 years I still cant get a power groove where it feels awesome.  So lets say I am laying on Flat bench with Olympic bar.  My thumbs are 14 inches apart?  Do I keep elbows wide or close?  how far down I go?  What do I do about locking out as I dont lockout on anything else?   Give me some options? I must sound like a dipshit I know but its only on this exercise that I am a goof.

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2007, 04:43:51 PM »
OK, sorry for being vague. I do have Olympic benches, I just have limited opportunities for spotters so was trying to get away with the smith.  I hate the smith.  At the moment I do v-bar pushdowns, dips and lying EZ extesnions.  My tris are pretty good.  I just want to master a compound move like closegrip presses but after 3.5 years I still cant get a power groove where it feels awesome.  So lets say I am laying on Flat bench with Olympic bar.  My thumbs are 14 inches apart?  Do I keep elbows wide or close?  how far down I go?  What do I do about locking out as I dont lockout on anything else?   Give me some options? I must sound like a dipshit I know but its only on this exercise that I am a goof.
the most important thing on close grips is to remember to keep your elbows IN AND POINTING DOWNWARD TOWARDS YOUR FEET as opposed to pointed out, it's better to have someone give you a liftoff so they can hand you the bar in the right position over your chest, lower the bar well below your nipples almost to the top of your stomach, if you find that the ROM is too long with your long arms just stop the descent halfway or do the movement in the power rack with the pins set halfway up, lock the weight out and squeeze your triceps, that's the most important part.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2007, 04:50:14 PM »
Squad with some good options. Try everything anyone says and see what works..

-Partial 2/3 or 3/4 ROM, stopping before hitting the chest. Or similar ROM without going to the top. Try both versions.
-Decline bench
-Bring the bar to the neck or lower on the chest, try both.
-Use E-Z curl bar, the angles can make a difference.

If nothing solves it keep in mind that not every exercise works for everyone. I've never cared for close-grips, use similar substitutes that work better in hitting the tris for me:

-Close-grip pushdowns but with elbows flared becomes a compound like close-grip benches.
-Bench dips

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2007, 04:52:32 PM »
the most important thing on close grips is to remember to keep your elbows IN AND POINTING DOWNWARD TOWARDS YOUR FEET as opposed to pointed out, it's better to have someone give you a liftoff so they can hand you the bar in the right position over your chest, lower the bar well below your nipples almost to the top of your stomach, if you find that the ROM is too long with your long arms just stop the descent halfway or do the movement in the power rack with the pins set halfway up, lock the weight out and squeeze your triceps, that's the most important part.
SF, I find that if I do this, I feel it in my front delts too much, in my experience, if I bring it to my nipples, it feels just right, maybe I just like the cold bar on my nips :D
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2007, 04:53:13 PM »
Squad with some good options. Try everything anyone says and see what works..

-Partial 2/3 or 3/4 ROM, stopping before hitting the chest.
-Decline bench

If none of this works, remember that not every exercise appeals and works for everyone. In which case try substitutes that are a little similar but may work better:

-Close-grip pushdowns with elbows flared - more of a compound like close-grip benches.
-Bench dips
exactly, there's no rule that you have to do any exercise with a full ROM, taller guys can get great triceps mass from partials on close grips or any triceps movement, triceps especially more than any bodypart because of the lockout part of the movement, partial dips, close grips, etc. i would still keep the full ROM on extension movements because the stretch is very important on those, like Pumpster always recommends lower the weight below and behind your head.

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2007, 04:56:17 PM »
SF, I find that if I do this, I feel it in my front delts too much, in my experience, if I bring it to my nipples, it feels just right, maybe I just like the cold bar on my nips :D
if you feel it more going higher up do that, for me it's very uncomfortable going high on my chest on close grips but one thing i've learned is that you can never tell where a person is feeling a movement from watching them perfrom it, something may look totally wrong form wise but the person may be getting pumped as hell doing it their way.

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2007, 05:02:13 PM »
Try the EZ curl bar ;)  There are even olympic size ones out there that will fit on the Power Rack.
Add a steep decline  to the Close Grip EZ also. Try it, you'll Like it.

Or just do 4-5 board press off the chest w/ shoulder width grip.
Pin Press in the cage,The top range of motion = Tri's, and a strong bench press lockout.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2007, 05:03:49 PM »
Try the EZ curl bar ;)  There are even olympic size ones out there that will fit on the Power Rack.
Add a steep decline  to the Close Grip EZ also. Try it, you'll Like it.

Or just do 4-5 board press off the chest w/ shoulder width grip.
Pin Press in the cage,The top range of motion = Tri's, and a strong bench press lockout.

Might be the best of all: 2/3l ROMs on the top portion using pins, lying on a decline w/ E-Z curl; bring it down to chest or neck and try different angles of decline. ;) ;) ;) FYI that version's almost the same thing as wide-elbow pushdowns. ;D

Big Lee

• Getbig II
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2007, 06:28:09 PM »
I will dedicate a whole workout next week testing every variation until i find one that feels good.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2007, 06:46:25 PM »
I will dedicate a whole workout next week testing every variation until i find one that feels good.

No, try a few variations for a few workouts or weeks. Try different variations over a few months or more.

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2007, 07:34:48 PM »
Jump Stretch band Triceps pressdowns R good to, tension increases. Good finisher.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2007, 08:26:19 PM »
Jump Stretch band Triceps pressdowns R good to, tension increases. Good finisher.

Great pump huh? That's basically the same as using a Bowflex. Try using a finishing exercise like that or cable kickbacks with more resistance near the beginning of the workout instead of just for flushing. ;)

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2007, 08:42:33 PM »
Is this the same SquadFather that has been dumping on partial training and anyone who does them? And now he suggest them as a part of a program. There is hope yet. If SquadFather wants a full partial and power rack training workout plan, that will add size and power at a super charged rate than just come to my web site. www.SamoanPower/We-Have-Come-For-Your-Women.org.

If you want to hit the inner chest somewhat, with a close grip BP ,than allow the elbows to travel out a bit. If you want tricep and a lot of front delts work than have the elbows in and pointing down towards the feet. Simple really. Taller guy's like me, with a somewhat deeper chest, will start a close grip BP between the middle abs and lower rib cage. It's a exercise that needs some adjusting to at first. Some very tall football and basketball plays I know find it almost impossible to do this form of BP at all.

Back to partial rack training: from half way position to the top position and 6-8 inches to the top position seem to work the best. Will build unheard of mass after awhile. These positions take the undo stress on the chest/shoulder joints and wrist out for most people. Good Luck.
F

Yev33

• Getbig III
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2007, 11:16:42 PM »
I used to have a similar problem with the close grip bench press. Then one time I tried it on a decline bench and instantly loved it. For me it almost forces me to bring the bar down to my upper abs which kees the most tension on the triceps throughout the whole set.

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2007, 07:18:47 AM »
I used to have a similar problem with the close grip bench press. Then one time I tried it on a decline bench and instantly loved it. For me it almost forces me to bring the bar down to my upper abs which kees the most tension on the triceps throughout the whole set.

Have you tried athe EZ grip bar there? Need a hand off, but real kind to the wrists

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2007, 07:26:24 AM »

Ya, this puts shifts it more to tris and less on front delts and elbows, using a barbell or smith. Try different angles, to find the sweet spot.

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2007, 07:55:06 AM »
If you ever find a   "V"  Shaped Dip bar, They have a real  nice feel, for those who can do them.
Can get a close grip.  Some playground  equip bars work well.

Yev33

• Getbig III
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2007, 10:04:02 PM »
Have you tried athe EZ grip bar there? Need a hand off, but real kind to the wrists

I have tried the EZ grip bar and it does feel good, but just like you said it requires a hand off, and I usually train alone. I wish my gym had a an olympic size EZ bar that would fit onto the standard bench racks. 

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2007, 08:15:09 AM »
I have tried the EZ grip bar and it does feel good, but just like you said it requires a hand off, and I usually train alone. I wish my gym had a an olympic size EZ bar that would fit onto the standard bench racks. 

http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/im-0230.html

This one aint bad price, not sure how it feels. i got a good size garage w/  my own stuff.

Your MAAAAaaaa

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • GETBIGS MINISTER OF SEXUAL HEALTH
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2007, 12:50:45 PM »

ahahahahahhahaha hardcore!!!

ta ta
Pm me for STI advice @ NO COST