Author Topic: Widening the biceps  (Read 6201 times)

lightweight8

• Getbig I
Widening the biceps
« on: July 02, 2007, 10:21:15 PM »
I've been doing various bicep exercises and have not been able to get the thickness that I desire.  Does anyone have any solid bicep exercises that can help me get them thicker?  Thanks for any input.

lightweight8

AVBG

Re: Widening the biceps
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2007, 10:33:39 PM »
hammer curls, revese e-z bar curls

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2007, 02:39:33 AM »
I've been doing various bicep exercises and have not been able to get the thickness that I desire.  Does anyone have any solid bicep exercises that can help me get them thicker?  Thanks for any input.

lightweight8

Obviously you've got to be more specific in what you're doing re: exercises & frequency.

Mike

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2007, 05:04:24 AM »

lightweight8

Agreed.  Stats? 

Please don't sign your posts.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2007, 05:16:05 AM »
Wide grip barbell curls with a straight bar
Incline dumbell curls
Preacher Curls with straight bar........elbows in close,hands/grip wide

lightweight8

• Getbig I
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2007, 01:43:32 PM »
I hit my bi's twice and tri's twice a week to try to get my arms thick.  I do preacher curls 3x8 wide and close grip, hammer curls 3x10, and strait bar curls 4x8.  Am I over training them or just not focusing on better routines?  Thanks for the insight so far guys.

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2007, 02:54:40 PM »
Vary your bicep exercises as in change them up every time you work them. Give them something new to look at all the time. Don't over do it. Most people can grow easily on 4-6 hard working sets with 2 sets per exercise. DON'T FORGET TO WORK THE BRACHIALIS! It'll give the arm an overall wider/thicker look. Do your hammers across the body to hit it well. DO NOT DO YOUR HAMMERS LIKE YOU'D NORMALLY CURL! THIS HITS THE BICEP! YOU'RE TARGETING THE BRACHIALIS! Reverse curls, hammers, ez-bars, cables, different grips and angles all make a difference. Never giving them a good look at an exercise long enough for them to adapt has given me an extra 1/2" on my arms in two months. I train my tri's the same way.

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2007, 03:21:11 PM »
BB cheat crls. Seated DB incline curls.
DB row up to the heaviest stuff you can single rep every 10 days.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2007, 04:45:08 PM »
Heavy BB curls (cheating with a slight knee jerk and body English..avoid doing curl grip cleans). After a few sets of cheating curls, add about 20 lbs ,or so, and do halfway up rep partials..controlling  them all the way. Than follow with a couple sets of curls starting from the top position and lower half way down and than back up again.... controlling them all the way. Use a straight bar if you can, for all sets. This is a version of the old 21's (or 7's..7X3=21). Only difference is that there is no stopping with the original 21's; full 7 reps, than half way up 7 reps and finally 7 rep to the half way down position. With the first mentioned way of doing it, with a 60-90 rest between sets/exercises, a much heavier weight is used. That's what we are looking for. Why 7 reps each set?....I do not have a clue. Thickness/width should be the outcome for the biceps.

Can do reverse BB curls rather than regular curls if you wish for a whole different feel to the bicep development. In any regard, this version of 21's will be the only bicep exercise needed, if worked hard enough each workout. Good luck.
F

NoCalBbEr

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2007, 07:28:34 PM »
I've found that doing BB curls, incline  curls, EZ bab preacher curls and hummer curls (DB's to the mid chest) but you have to work on your tris as well. to get that rounded arms. I've foud the revese grip pushdowns works great for me. you can spot build but it would like  a half of an upper arm

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
  • there can only be one...
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2007, 12:03:59 AM »
for widenong the bi's..
hammer curls
choice is an illusion

Kyubi

• Getbig I
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2007, 01:59:15 AM »
Incline dumbbell curls
Preacher Curls with straight bar........elbows in close,hands/grip wide
Doesn't this kind of grip pay unnecessary stress on wrist and elbow joints ?(especially with BB since the movement is very ristricted)

although Hammer curls are my fav Bis exercise,I don't have good BRACHIALIS. Don't know why but Hammer doesn't seems to hit my BRACHIALIS, never feel any pump there :(

lightweight

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2007, 04:06:17 PM »

lightweight8

nice name lightweight

dizzleman06

• Getbig III
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2007, 09:59:47 AM »
heavy BB curls and DB hammer curls and don't use straps!

candidate2025

• Getbig IV
  • chillin out relaxing
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2007, 12:15:58 PM »
Heavy BB curls

Can do reverse BB curls rather than regular curls if you wish for a whole different feel to the bicep development.

awesome advice.

if its thickness your looking for.

d[-_-]b actin all cool

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2007, 05:11:19 PM »
Fat Bar Barrbell work is a great one if you can get hold of one. Very good for grip and forearms and overall.

mitchyboy

• Getbig III
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2007, 10:03:34 PM »
I agree with elbows in relatively wide grip. I can realy feel it on the inner portion of the bicep, so they will look fuller from the top. Hammers for hight and peak

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2007, 04:42:11 AM »

if your wrists can take then this is the king

JackCheze

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2007, 01:16:07 AM »
I'm guessing you are a skinny guy...

if so stick to the hardcore compound movements don't worry so much about lots of sets and movements on the arms, work on pull ups and rows and whatnot for your back

then do a few movements for the bis, be heavy and strict

and don't forget the reverse or hammer curls