Author Topic: Tino - Ferret of the Month!  (Read 5274 times)

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
Tino - Ferret of the Month!
« on: July 09, 2007, 12:28:39 PM »
I don't know if anyone else has any ferrets, so I am electing my Tino as the first (and only ?) ferret of the month.    :)

Tino is 9 years old, and is a cinnamon, though he has lost some of his fur from Adrenal Disease.   Tino has had a melatonin implant inserted for the Adrenal instead of having surgery, because of his advanced age.   He has also been diagnosed with Lymphoma, which has not been confirmed via biopsy, again because of his age.  It is pretty much a given that he does have Lymphoma because of his enlarged lymph nodes.  He was diagnosed at the end of April, and his lymph nodes seem to be enlarging very slowly.  I am hoping that means it is affecting his internal organs slowly too, but since he won't be having surgery I do not know what is going on inside him. 

Tino eats the ground and partially cooked chicken gravy I make him, with fish oil added to it.   He has a very good appetite and for 9 years old he is as active as I would expect him to be. 

Tino lost his long term buddy Simon, on 4-12-07.  Simon was also 9 years old.  I expect Tino will be joining Simon sometime this year and my goal is to keep him  around as long as he is comfortable. 

I took these pics yesterday, 07-08-07.

knny- we don't need a banner lol!   :D

Butterbean

• Getbig V
Re: Tino - Ferret of the Month!
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2007, 12:35:52 PM »
I vote Tino  :)
R

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2007, 12:40:07 PM »
I vote Tino  :)

Thank you STella!!  But I already nominated and selected him, so voting is closed.   ha ha!

;D

Since another mod seconded the motion, that makes it official.   ;)

powerpack

• Getbig IV
  • Time to get Buck wild!
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2007, 12:47:20 PM »
Interesting animal, we dont have ferrets here.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2007, 01:12:34 PM »
Tino has my vote

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2007, 02:47:36 PM »
Interesting animal, we dont have ferrets here.

Really?  Where are you?  They do make great pets, but do require more maintenance and time out from their cage.  Mine have had their own room so it is easier, they were not caged all day.   They are illegal a few places in the states, California, and New York City being 2 places.  They are not a good pet for everyone and I think that is why so many end up is shelters, people don't research them enough and the time they require and the medical issues that are far to common in ferrets now a days.

9 is old for a ferret and usually by the time they hit 5 or ever over 3 years of age they have some kind of disease.  I was lucky that my last 2 made it to 9 years before having any medical issues. 

I most likely will never own ferrets again after Tino.   :(  I love them, but since I have my own house dogs are my passion and don't think I could devote the time to more ferrets, especially young kits that are very rambunctious, especially compared to old ferrets.   Tino gets up to eat, take a stroll around, and then goes back to sleep. 

powerpack

• Getbig IV
  • Time to get Buck wild!
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2007, 11:22:06 PM »

Really?  Where are you?   
Cape Town South Africa.
We have a diffrent bunch of animals here   :)

Euro-monster

• Getbig V
  • Team Dutchie style!!
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2007, 03:13:36 AM »
My vote goes to Tino too... ;D

I think he still looks great dispite the disease he has Flower!!
?

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2007, 05:56:32 AM »
Thanks EM!  I think he is doing pretty good all things considered.   :)

Lord Humungous

• Getbig V
  • REVOLUTION CALLING!
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2007, 07:59:17 AM »
they serve something that looks kind like Tito on a stick on the South Side, friday and saturday nights. Ive never been drunk enough to try it though.
X

powerpack

• Getbig IV
  • Time to get Buck wild!
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2007, 08:08:33 AM »
they serve something that looks kind like Tito on a stick on the South Side, friday and saturday nights. Ive never been drunk enough to try it though.
LOL so you are obviously not voting for him  :)

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2007, 08:17:55 AM »

>:(

JimmyTheFish

• Getbig III
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2007, 08:44:17 AM »
TINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

great story flowey  :)

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2007, 09:40:32 AM »
thanks Jimmy.   :)

now where's the Louie vid?   
  ::)

JimmyTheFish

• Getbig III
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2007, 09:52:21 AM »
thanks Jimmy.   :)

now where's the Louie vid?   
  ::)

hahah you are relentless  :D

dammit I am working on it!!! Tuff to catch the little fucker doing his funny things without him being completely distracted by  the camera ---  :-\

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2007, 03:43:56 PM »
I don't know if anyone else has any ferrets, so I am electing my Tino as the first (and only ?) ferret of the month.    :) 

I've never owned a ferret, but I've seen too many to count as patients.  They are really cool animals, the problem I have with them is the odor.  It just turns my stomach.  I can stand them at work, but not at home.  I tried petsitting for a few ferrets when I was doing my residency and had to quit after that.  I'd see them at work, then go back to my apartment and there'd be the ferret smell all over...   I know its sounds bad, but I just couldn't stand it. 

Tino is 9 years old, and is a cinnamon, though he has lost some of his fur from Adrenal Disease.   Tino has had a melatonin implant inserted for the Adrenal instead of having surgery, because of his advanced age.   He has also been diagnosed with Lymphoma, which has not been confirmed via biopsy, again because of his age.  It is pretty much a given that he does have Lymphoma because of his enlarged lymph nodes.  He was diagnosed at the end of April, and his lymph nodes seem to be enlarging very slowly.  I am hoping that means it is affecting his internal organs slowly too, but since he won't be having surgery I do not know what is going on inside him. 

Tino definately has that "OLD FERRET" grizzled look...   ;D   I think thats one thing that makes them cute---when they hit 7 or so and start to look like that. 

You can generally readily diagnose lymphoma from fine needle aspirates of the lymphnodes, especially in slower growing cancers like Tinos seems to be.  Obviously biopsy is the gold standard of confirming the disease.  And honestly, in a ferret as old as Tino is, you are probably right just assuming it like you have.  Remember, lymphoma in ferrets generally occurs as two forms.  Its "visceral" meaning it affects the internal organs---these are the ferrets with GI lymphoma that have absolutely no clinical signs at all until suddenly one day thier intestine does something obtuse like they get a GI obstruction/stasis or the intestine just ruptures.  Those are the most frustrating cases because they really don't have a good prognosis, diagnosis is often post mortem, and they may have no clinical signs at all until its too late. 

The other form is "pheripheral" or affecting the lymph notes. This may be external lymph nodes like the ones you can feel under the foreleg or on the neck or it can be internal like those around the heart or intestine.  These tend to be a bit more forgiving with their degree of warning before a bad outcome occurs.  You can sometimes monitor the growth of the lymphnodes for months. 

As a final note, one thing I've learned about Ferret lymphoma is it does what it wants too---its a very frustrating disease becuase just when you think you've understood the pathogenesis of the cancer, you will have a new case that does something completely off the walls.   I've literally seen tumors in ferrets shrink to the point of disappearing when attempts to use chemotherapy were used to manage them only to have the ferret come out of remission a short time later with a seemingly new form so aggressive it responds to nothing chemotherapeutic wise.  I honestly think with many cases its a better idea to just put the ferret on prednisone if the masses are very large to try to shrink them a bit and then let the ferret live out its natural life vs chemotherapy, radiation, surgeries and what not. 

Tino eats the ground and partially cooked chicken gravy I make him, with fish oil added to it.   He has a very good appetite and for 9 years old he is as active as I would expect him to be. 

Tino lost his long term buddy Simon, on 4-12-07.  Simon was also 9 years old.  I expect Tino will be joining Simon sometime this year and my goal is to keep him  around as long as he is comfortable. 

He may surprise you  ;)   Is he still wanting to play and "ferret" around?  That seems to be one of the keys with old ferrets. If they want to play, they live--they may have terrible disease that no dog or cat could live with, but the ferret will still live if it wants to play.  If they don't, their prognosis is much worse. 

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2007, 05:05:47 PM »
Vet, I have been monitoring the size of his lymph nodes.  His popliteal ones and his  axillary ones were the first apparent ones and the ones the vet showed me how to palpate.  They have pretty much stayed the same size as far as I can tell. I actually considered bringing home some calipers or something from work and measuring them, but I think going by feel will be good enough.  ;D About a week or so after I had him at the vets  I did notice that his submandibular ones were swollen. and they seem to have stayed the same size since I first noticed them.  What either I hadn't noticed or are now enlarged are his inguinal ones.  I was giving him a quick bath to clean him up the other morning and they were very apparent especially when he was wet, and now that I am looking for them I can definitely see them. 

We had talked about prednisone but his vet said as long as he was eating it really wouldn't slow it down much and we could always give that to him later if he does go off his food.  I think if/when he goes off his food that I will let him go. 

I did read that sometimes the submandibular ones can get so enlarged that they may make eating difficult, but that doesn't seem to be a problem for him now. 

He has surprised me so far, so I hope he continues to do so!   :)   He is still curious to check things out, and is usually up and ready to eat when I get up, though his excursions are for short periods, then it is nap time again.   :D

And they don't smell!   >:(   Ok, they do have a musky odor.  Actually the more you bathe them the more they smell.  I think some people make it worse by trying to wash it away 100% and they get the opposite happening because then their body pumps out more oils to make up for the bathing. If you keep bedding changed weekly, and litter boxes done regularly I don't think they smell.  Or maybe I am used to it!   ;D  Up until this past year when my last 2 got up their in age and potty habits were not quite so good as they used to be  :-X (And Simon I actually was helping express his bladder the last 2 months of his life) I  gave them a bath once a year if that.   But that is one thing I don't think people consider when they get them, and then they end up sending them to a shelter or rescue. So they definitely are not the pet for everyone for a number of reasons. 

I appreciate your thoughts on Tino, especially the way I have chosen to deal with his "assumed" diseases.   :)     I am 99% percent sure on both of them.  The adrenal because of his hair loss, and the lymphoma because of his swollen nodes.  I am thankful that the adrenal has not affected his prostate. I hope the melatonin implant will keep it that way, even if it doesn't seem to have done much for regrowing his hair yet.   :P   It is amazing how much heat their little bodies put out!  Where there is no fur you can just feel it!  He's like a slinky heating blanket!   

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2007, 11:42:32 PM »
Vet, I have been monitoring the size of his lymph nodes.  His popliteal ones and his  axillary ones were the first apparent ones and the ones the vet showed me how to palpate.  They have pretty much stayed the same size as far as I can tell. I actually considered bringing home some calipers or something from work and measuring them, but I think going by feel will be good enough.  ;D About a week or so after I had him at the vets  I did notice that his submandibular ones were swollen. and they seem to have stayed the same size since I first noticed them.  What either I hadn't noticed or are now enlarged are his inguinal ones.  I was giving him a quick bath to clean him up the other morning and they were very apparent especially when he was wet, and now that I am looking for them I can definitely see them. 

It depends on how precise you want to be.  If it was me, I'd measure them with calipers.  its not like you are tracking the effects of chemotherapeutic drugs where the slightest increase or decrease is significant, so if you feel comfortable with palpation, keep palpating them. 

We had talked about prednisone but his vet said as long as he was eating it really wouldn't slow it down much and we could always give that to him later if he does go off his food.  I think if/when he goes off his food that I will let him go. 

It really becomes a quality of life issue, especially with a ferret as old as he is.   Like I said before, ferret lymphoma does what it wants to do.  I've managed a couple of them for over a year with just increasing doses of prednisone.  Those ferrets did great, then it was as if they hit a wall....   the tumors started growing very, very rapidly and didn't respond to the prednisone anymore.  Pred isn't a drug without side effects, but it is worth considering in most cases at some point. 

I did read that sometimes the submandibular ones can get so enlarged that they may make eating difficult, but that doesn't seem to be a problem for him now. 

They can actually impinge on the airway leading to a rhaspy breathing and even dyspnea (difficulty breathing).  Those are the worst cases because the ferrets are literally choking on their own cancerous lymphnodes. 

He has surprised me so far, so I hope he continues to do so!   :)   He is still curious to check things out, and is usually up and ready to eat when I get up, though his excursions are for short periods, then it is nap time again.   :D

And they don't smell!   >:(   Ok, they do have a musky odor.  Actually the more you bathe them the more they smell.  I think some people make it worse by trying to wash it away 100% and they get the opposite happening because then their body pumps out more oils to make up for the bathing. If you keep bedding changed weekly, and litter boxes done regularly I don't think they smell.  Or maybe I am used to it!   ;D  Up until this past year when my last 2 got up their in age and potty habits were not quite so good as they used to be  :-X (And Simon I actually was helping express his bladder the last 2 months of his life) I  gave them a bath once a year if that.   But that is one thing I don't think people consider when they get them, and then they end up sending them to a shelter or rescue. So they definitely are not the pet for everyone for a number of reasons. 

Attidude is the most important thing with a sick ferret.  IF they have an appetite and are active, they seem to do so much better.  When they loose that desire to play and eat, it always seems as if their condition deteriorates rapidly.  So its important to monitor that "quality of life". 

I appreciate your thoughts on Tino, especially the way I have chosen to deal with his "assumed" diseases.   :)     I am 99% percent sure on both of them.  The adrenal because of his hair loss, and the lymphoma because of his swollen nodes.  I am thankful that the adrenal has not affected his prostate. I hope the melatonin implant will keep it that way, even if it doesn't seem to have done much for regrowing his hair yet.   :P   It is amazing how much heat their little bodies put out!  Where there is no fur you can just feel it!  He's like a slinky heating blanket!   [/color]

I consider melatonin a controversial method of treatment, although I do understand the physiology behind the idea of using it. Its a treatment I actually never used while in private practice---through my residency.  Surgical removal of the neoplastic adrenal gland is curative 100% of the time.  Thats the treatment I recommend.  I've encountered mixed outcomes with melatonin.  Some owners absolutely swear by them, others say they've done nothing.  Some veterinarians really, really push melatonin implants because they are so much cheaper than Lupron.  To me surgery is the definitive answer.  Things just become complicated with ferrets who arent good surgical candidates--because of other diseases, they are old, owner finances, invasivness of the mass, etc. 

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2007, 06:34:38 AM »
I consider melatonin a controversial method of treatment, although I do understand the physiology behind the idea of using it. Its a treatment I actually never used while in private practice---through my residency.  Surgical removal of the neoplastic adrenal gland is curative 100% of the time.  Thats the treatment I recommend.  I've encountered mixed outcomes with melatonin.  Some owners absolutely swear by them, others say they've done nothing.  Some veterinarians really, really push melatonin implants because they are so much cheaper than Lupron.  To me surgery is the definitive answer.  Things just become complicated with ferrets who arent good surgical candidates--because of other diseases, they are old, owner finances, invasivness of the mass, etc.

Melatonin seems to be being used more and more, some people are actually giving oral melatonin or implants in hopes to prevent adrenal disease.   I have heard both great success with it, and no change at all.   It is also being used in conjunction with Lupron, something I have discussed with my vet.  I don't think my vet thought Tino would still be around this long after diagnosing him with lymphoma! The way he stressed calling him back in a week or so after he saw him made me be expecting that Tino was going to go downhill pretty quickly.  But he has actually improved.   :)    I think he is now a better surgical candidate for adrenal surgery, but I would still probably choose Lupron over surgery because of his age and the lymphoma.  I want him to have a good quality of life in his remaining time and fear that recovering from surgery would do more harm than good. I would rather him have a good 4 months of life, than to get an extra month or 2 but it is spent with him feeling poorly from surgery.  I think surgery for adrenal could speed up his lymphoma possibly too.  The body would be focused on healing from that than fighting the cancer.   Plus not knowing which adrenal gland it is poses a problem.  If it is the right adrenal then that is a more risky surgery. 

I don't think I really want to know what else is going on inside him either.  I can be much more positive being unaware and thinking the best!   

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2007, 06:43:01 AM »
Surgical removal of the neoplastic adrenal gland is curative 100% of the time.

Actually that is not true,the glands can grow back.  100% removal is not guaranteed.  That is why some bi-lateral adrenal gland removed ferrets can get by with no hormonal replacement therapy.  There is enough of a gland left that is still producing.  :)

And having had a bi-lateral surgery ferret that subsequently died, I know surgery is not 100% curative.  His prostate NEVER went down after either surgery.  The actual cause of death was renal failure from damage done to his kidneys because of his enlarged prostate.  (I did have him PTS, but he would of succumbed to renal failure eventually) 

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2007, 06:50:21 AM »
If anyone wants to see how weird ferret people can be:

http://www.pbs.org/previews/pursuitofexcellence/

FERRETS: THE PURSUIT OF EXCELLENCE (7/18) offers an endearing and amusing glimpse at America's most playful, mischievous pets -- not to mention their distinctive owners. At the annual Ferret Buckeye Bash in Columbus, Ohio, the largest and most popular ferret show in the country, hundreds of top breeders, seasoned experts and ferret enthusiasts pamper and parade their pets in a quest for prizes and prestige. FERRETS offers a quirky contrast to the common animal show -- these curious creatures lack the regal air of show cats or the respectable nature of pedigreed dogs -- yet these ferrets are trained, pampered and primed by their doting owners in the hope of taking the top prize in the biggest ferret show in the country.

Wednesday, July 18, 8:00 PM

(Check your local listing)

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2007, 08:31:55 AM »

Actually that is not true,the glands can grow back.  100% removal is not guaranteed.  That is why some bi-lateral adrenal gland removed ferrets can get by with no hormonal replacement therapy.  There is enough of a gland left that is still producing.  :)

And having had a bi-lateral surgery ferret that subsequently died, I know surgery is not 100% curative.  His prostate NEVER went down after either surgery.  The actual cause of death was renal failure from damage done to his kidneys because of his enlarged prostate.  (I did have him PTS, but he would of succumbed to renal failure eventually) 

No, the glands cannot grow back if they are 100% removed.  Removal of a left adrenal is pretty straight forward.  The problem is that the right adrenal is very closely---as in borders right along--attached to the vena cava.  Sometimes the adrenal tumor will invade into the vena cava, thus making complete surgical excision very, very difficult.  You can sometimes get lucky using hemoclips and clip along the side of the vessel, resulting in that tiny bit of tumor losing blood flow and dying.  There have been surgical proceedures described (by Avery Bennett) where the vena cava is incised, removing the entire tumor, and the vessel is sutured.  Also there are some veterinarians, myself included, who think that ferrets have sufficient collateral circulation to allow ligation of the vena cava surgically and then an en block excision of the mass and that section of that large blood vessel.  I have done this in two ferrets--both "accidentally" as a result of the vena cava being nicked/rupturing and that being the only alternative to stop the bleeding.  These ferrets did fine postoperatively and their adrenal disease was cured.  I tried to get together a research project when I was at Ohio State to look into the blood circulation secondary to vena caval obstruction---ie do they have good collateral circulation AND if that circulation could develop secondary to gradual reduction in blood flow through the cava by using an ameroid constrictor (a device used for liver shunts in small breed dogs). Unfortunately funding was shot to hell as the exotics department there fell apart and there is the problem of needing two vs one surgery for use of a venous occlusive device. 

I will say adrenal surgery in ferrets is highly, highly dependant on the surgical skills of the surgeon.  I've seen a couple of supposed "bilateral" adrenal surgeries that had residual tissue from not just the right, but also the left adrenal left in the body cavity.  its also sometimes very difficult to determine which adrenal gland is neoplastic---you really can't do it by just looking at the adrenal, you have to do an abdominal ultrasound and measure the size of the adrenal glands--and we are talking about 6-8 mm organs sometimes.  They are very, very tiny.  I've seen more than one ferret that were borderline---meaning the adrenals were essentially normal sized but they had clinical signs.  I won't do surgery on those ferrets because of concern about removing the wrong gland.   What I recommend with those is to treat the clinical signs (with Lupron or you could with melatonin) and then reevaluate via abdominal ultrasound in 3 month intervals.  Once the neoplastic adrenal starts to show itself with increased size, then remove the tumor.  I also always submit any removed tissue for histopathology to confirm a neoplastic adrenal gland vs normal tissue.  I haven't had to go back to a client and tell them that I personally removed the wrong adrenal gland based on the microscopic examination, but I have had to do it for one of my associates.  That was a difficult conversation....   :-\   I've also never seen a ferret with complete excision of the tumors (confirmed histopathologically) who continued to have clinical signs.   

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2007, 08:54:00 AM »
Ok,I concede that.  If 100% of the gland is removed it can't grow back, but 100% is not always removed, especially with the right gland as you stated. 

In the case of my other ferret he had the left gland removed, and then still had a swollen prostate and about 2 months later went in and had the right gland removed.  The vet said the right gland appeared normal during the first surgery and was surprised it grew so soon after the first surgery.

He never was right for the whole 6 months or so this all played out.  This was also the ferret that I mentioned this vet told me it would be perfectly fine to vaccinate him despite all this going on.  It was after the vaccinations that the right gland was removed.  This is the go-to vet for ferrets in my area.  He is the only vet I am aware of that will do right glands around here. My current vet recommended going to him if I wanted to do adrenal surgery because he would not attempt a right gland.

Another reason I am not keen on Tino having the surgery, I am still disappointed with this vet, though at the time I was not vaccine aware so it was not till a few years later I looked back and thought what a horrible recommendation he gave on vaccinating my ferret.  I had even asked if maybe we should wait, and was assured that vaccinations were harmless.

If I thought it was in Tino's best interest I would put that issue aside and have that vet do the surgery, it would take a lot of restraint on my part to not tell him what I think of him now though til after he did the surgery!    I have the feeling that Tino would have to be current on his shots before he would even do the surgery, that is something I would not allow and if pushed I would report him to the board for practicing bad and irresponsible medicine!

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2007, 08:59:05 AM »
Ok,I concede that.  If 100% of the gland is removed it can't grow back, but 100% is not always removed, especially with the right gland as you stated. 

In the case of my other ferret he had the left gland removed, and then still had a swollen prostate and about 2 months later went in and had the right gland removed.  The vet said the right gland appeared normal during the first surgery and was surprised it grew so soon after the first surgery.

He never was right for the whole 6 months or so this all played out.  This was also the ferret that I mentioned this vet told me it would be perfectly fine to vaccinate him despite all this going on.  It was after the vaccinations that the right gland was removed.  This is the go-to vet for ferrets in my area.  He is the only vet I am aware of that will do right glands around here. My current vet recommended going to him if I wanted to do adrenal surgery because he would not attempt a right gland.

Another reason I am not keen on Tino having the surgery, I am still disappointed with this vet, though at the time I was not vaccine aware so it was not till a few years later I looked back and thought what a horrible recommendation he gave on vaccinating my ferret.  I had even asked if maybe we should wait, and was assured that vaccinations were harmless.

If I thought it was in Tino's best interest I would put that issue aside and have that vet do the surgery, it would take a lot of restraint on my part to not tell him what I think of him now though til after he did the surgery!    I have the feeling that Tino would have to be current on his shots before he would even do the surgery, that is something I would not allow and if pushed I would report him to the board for practicing bad and irresponsible medicine!

Flower, in all honesty, considering Tinos age, I wouldn't necessarily recommend surgery to address the adrenal disease.  Tino is an old, old ferret.  You need to consider this.  Medical management of clinical signs---such as lupron, melatonin, finesteride if he gets prostate disease are all reasonable which will allow him to live out the rest of his natural lifespan with good quality of life and are not as invasive as a right adrenalectomy.  I think you need to really weigh the options and quality of life there considering his age before pushing through for the surgery. 

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2007, 09:07:09 AM »
Flower, in all honesty, considering Tinos age, I wouldn't necessarily recommend surgery to address the adrenal disease.  Tino is an old, old ferret.  You need to consider this.  Medical management of clinical signs---such as lupron, melatonin, finesteride if he gets prostate disease are all reasonable which will allow him to live out the rest of his natural lifespan with good quality of life and are not as invasive as a right adrenalectomy.  I think you need to really weigh the options and quality of life there considering his age before pushing through for the surgery. 

At this point I have no intention of surgery, I would go Lupron shot first. 

I was just pointing out some other reasons for not wanting to go the surgery route. 

Considering his lymphoma, Lupron should more than suffice if necessary for the time he has left and let that be a better quality of life and not having to waste it recovering from surgery. 
  :)