Author Topic: Side Tricep head  (Read 4688 times)

dragonheart

• Getbig III
Side Tricep head
« on: July 30, 2007, 05:11:42 PM »
what are some of the best exercises to hit the tricep head on the side of your arm, not the back side?

pumpher

• Getbig III
Re: Side Tricep head
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2007, 09:19:26 PM »
It's difficult to isolate only the lateral head, but a cable pressdown using the rope attachment tends to hit this area more if you concentrate on squeezing it laterally "outwards." You actually don't need much weight if you do it properly and use full ROM and hold a peak contraction.

dizzleman06

• Getbig III
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2007, 02:33:39 PM »
cable push downs, dip machine, skull crushers, but flare your elbows outward more than tucking them in.  this will put more stress on the lateral head.

candidate2025

• Getbig IV
  • chillin out relaxing
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2007, 02:35:28 PM »
dude. this is simple. do straight bar push downs on the pulley, but with an underhand grip.
d[-_-]b actin all cool

dizzleman06

• Getbig III
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2007, 02:51:25 PM »
dude. this is simple. do straight bar push downs on the pulley, but with an underhand grip.

that is kinda like the opposite of good advice...that stimulates the rear head more than anything else...

candidate2025

• Getbig IV
  • chillin out relaxing
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2007, 03:30:30 PM »
ummmm no!!! reverse grip pull downs are almost entirely the side head.  normal grip push downs are almost entirely the rear head.
d[-_-]b actin all cool

dizzleman06

• Getbig III
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2007, 03:55:05 PM »
you ever had an anatomy class? :P

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2007, 04:00:05 PM »
It's become popular for a while now to suggest reverse-grip triceps work. Makes no sense to me, as the limitations of the grip will always mitigate some of the benefit.

Better to me are various compound triceps exercises like dips, dip machine, bench dips or close-grips done with the usual grip but knuckles facing inwards towards each other. That not only works the medial and lateral heads more effectively, it can be done with decent weight. Wide grip rope pushdowns basically allow this to be done more easily because the grip's flexible, the wrists aren't forced to stay in the same position.

dizzleman06

• Getbig III
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2007, 04:08:21 PM »
It's become popular for a while now to suggest reverse-grip triceps work. Makes no sense to me, as the limitations of the grip will always mitigate some of the benefit.

Better to me are various compound triceps exercises like dips, dip machine, bench dips or close-grips done with the usual grip but knuckles facing inwards towards each other. That not only works the medial and lateral heads more effectively, it can be done with decent weight. Wide grip rope pushdowns basically allow this to be done more easily because the grip's flexible, the wrists aren't forced to stay in the same position.

Thanks for clearing that up...I haven't used them in multiple years, because like you said your grip notates the amount of muscular work done.  Plus it looks gay! ;D

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2007, 04:25:18 PM »
hahahaha, it always makes me laugh when you see guys trying to do reverse grip lying extensions with the 40 pound fixed weight EZ curl bar struggling to hold onto the thing.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2007, 04:29:04 PM »
  Plus it looks gay! ;D

Thank you. Especially using 10 lb.  ;D

candidate2025

• Getbig IV
  • chillin out relaxing
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2007, 05:25:09 PM »
alright guys. your all idiots.

if your hand is palm in(normal pushdawns, and you hitting primarily the rear head; then by twisting your hand a quarter of the ways out( to rope pull downs) you transition from rear head to both rear and side heads, then its only logical that the next quarter(reverse pull downs) turn will transition from rear and side head to the side head alone.

fucking RETARDS. go do the exercise and you will FEEL just how right i am.

and squadfaggot, reverse grip skull crushers with the ez curl bar are a fantastic outerhead developer.
d[-_-]b actin all cool

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2007, 05:31:45 PM »

if your hand is palm in(normal pushdawns, and you hitting primarily the rear head; then by twisting your hand a quarter of the ways out( to rope pull downs) you transition from rear head to both rear and side heads, then its only logical that the next quarter(reverse pull downs) turn will transition from rear and side head to the side head alone.

and squadfaggot, reverse grip skull crushers with the ez curl bar are a fantastic outerhead developer.
;D

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2007, 08:24:03 PM »
It's difficult to isolate only the lateral head, but a cable pressdown using the rope attachment tends to hit this area more if you concentrate on squeezing it laterally "outwards." You actually don't need much weight if you do it properly and use full ROM and hold a peak contraction.

YEP!!  go a bit lighter, but visualize trying to pull the rope apart, not just down and out...this will emphasize the part you want

pjs

• Getbig II
  • As I am
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2007, 08:43:34 AM »

Can you explain how that works when the muscle you are describing has one insertion point where is crosses the elbow.

Thanks ever so much.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2007, 08:56:11 AM »

Isn't this dude 16 years old? Thank god we have someone here with experience. ::)

candidate2025

• Getbig IV
  • chillin out relaxing
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2007, 08:59:28 AM »

i was 16 when i first started posting here..

but it doesnt matter what my age is. you dont have to be be any age to feel a muscle getting worked out, or to understand the logic of anatomy. i am teling you to go try it...you will know i am right.
d[-_-]b actin all cool

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2007, 11:23:02 AM »

i was 16 when i first started posting here..

but it doesnt matter what my age is. you dont have to be be any age to feel a muscle getting worked out, or to understand the logic of anatomy. i am teling you to go try it...you will know i am right.

Experience isn't everything, but you're in no position to be this sure about your theories.

candidate2025

• Getbig IV
  • chillin out relaxing
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2007, 11:45:47 AM »
yes i am.

:)
d[-_-]b actin all cool

candidate2025

• Getbig IV
  • chillin out relaxing
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2007, 11:47:54 AM »
another way to REALLY tear up the outer head is b doing rope pull downs, but as you extend your arms down, roll the back of your hands apart form each other, and towards the floor. sort of like opening a book.
d[-_-]b actin all cool

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2007, 11:51:01 AM »
At this point candidate's arrogance blows away his advice.

candidate2025

• Getbig IV
  • chillin out relaxing
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2007, 02:49:13 PM »
a truly arrogant person will not appear arrogant at all.... at least; not in person.

d[-_-]b actin all cool

dizzleman06

• Getbig III
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2007, 03:16:32 PM »
Can you explain how that works when the muscle you are describing has one insertion point where is crosses the elbow.

Thanks ever so much.

candidate needs a freaking anatomy class is what I am thinking...  I bet you use straps to help your feeble grip hold on to the massive 30 lbs. reverse grip cable pushdowns...haha!

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2007, 04:08:52 PM »
candidate needs a freaking anatomy class is what I am thinking...  I bet you use straps to help your feeble grip hold on to the massive 30 lbs. reverse grip cable pushdowns...haha!

Listen at 18 years old with a full 2 years of 50 lb. barbell curls under his belt he already has it all figured out! Thank God he's here to straighten us out. ;)

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2007, 04:17:18 PM »
Listen at 18 years old with a full 2 years of 50 lb. barbell curls under his belt he already has it all figured out! Thank God he's here to straighten us out. ;)
hahahahahaha.