Author Topic: How to hug a baby!  (Read 4004 times)

dizzleman06

• Getbig III
How to hug a baby!
« on: August 02, 2007, 08:34:32 AM »
 :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

dizzleman06

• Getbig III
Re: How to hug a baby!
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2007, 08:35:22 AM »
 ;D

Euro-monster

• Getbig V
  • Team Dutchie style!!
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2007, 08:42:54 AM »
Those pictures are awesume Dizzleman..... ;)
Mastino's are reall child friendly as you can see... 8)
?

dizzleman06

• Getbig III
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2007, 08:49:27 AM »
I love the last one..."Buddies, just hanging out!"

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2007, 09:08:19 AM »
OMG Adorable!!!   I want one!!! 

(The dog, not the baby!!   :D)

:)

dizzleman06

• Getbig III
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2007, 09:43:56 AM »

hahaha, you no want to be mommy?

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2007, 10:07:27 AM »
hahaha, you no want to be mommy?

hahaha  NO, Smokey and my husband are really all I can handle right now.   :-\

dizzleman06

• Getbig III
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2007, 10:31:05 AM »

hahaha  NO, Smokey and my husband are really all I can handle right now.   :-\

hahahahaha!  yeah, us men can be big babies!

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2007, 10:34:50 AM »
Great pics dizzleman!  Flower posted those awhile back on the X but she had inserted text between them....this one said "knead baby for maximum pliability" or something like that  ;D
R

dizzleman06

• Getbig III
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2007, 10:49:15 AM »
Great pics dizzleman!  Flower posted those awhile back on the X but she had inserted text between them....this one said "knead baby for maximum pliability" or something like that  ;D

I got it in email form and died laughing for about 5 minutes, so I had an obligation to share!

JimmyTheFish

• Getbig III
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2007, 05:46:41 PM »
What a great pic!!   :D

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
  • It’s about how hard you can GET hit...
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2007, 11:26:22 PM »
Awesome pictures!
and keep moving!

Euro-monster

• Getbig V
  • Team Dutchie style!!
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2007, 03:48:18 AM »

And you said you didn't like the slobbering of these dogs...Roma's still mad about that.. :(
?

Lord Humungous

• Getbig V
  • REVOLUTION CALLING!
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2007, 05:32:04 AM »

The baby will ne here soon, I dont have room for the dog  ;D
X

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2007, 07:52:12 AM »
And you said you didn't like the slobbering of these dogs...Roma's still mad about that.. :(

LOL NOOoooooooo, I just asked about how much slobbering there is to deal with...I didn't say that I didn't like it.  For a dog as spectacular as that, I would put up with a pretty good deal of slobbering.   8)
We were really lucky with our last dane, as he was so clean, he never had slobbers or spittles at all.

The baby will ne here soon, I dont have room for the dog  ;D

How exciting!  You won't have time either!   

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2007, 10:22:28 AM »
I listened to a dog expert the other day, and he told me something interesting.

When a dog jumps up at lays in the lap, or when, like in this case, the dog lays above the kid, it's not to show affection, but to show dominance.

We humans are doing a mistake by subscribing human emotions and attributes to the dogs actions, instead of interpreting what it really means.

And by doing so, creating an unhappy dog.

As empty as paradise

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2007, 12:36:02 PM »
I listened to a dog expert the other day, and he told me something interesting.

When a dog jumps up at lays in the lap, or when, like in this case, the dog lays above the kid, it's not to show affection, but to show dominance.

We humans are doing a mistake by subscribing human emotions and attributes to the dogs actions, instead of interpreting what it really means.

And by doing so, creating an unhappy dog.

I agree/disagree

I agree that you never want your dog on top of you.  Yes...it is a sign of dominance.  Pack leaders should never allow your dogs on top of you.  It gives them the wrong impression.

My dog likes to play with me.  It's normal in a pack to play, push, & shove.  But....he never gets one up one me & I always keep in in check & below me.

Now where I disagree.....it's not that it makes them unhappy if we make the mistake by subscribing human emotions and attributes to the dogs actions.....it can make for a situation down the road that could be trouble.

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2007, 12:41:56 PM »

maybe the pack leader will look out for its puppies? it'll be like that dog in peter pan & beethoven.

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2007, 04:49:45 PM »
I think to much emphasis is placed on "being the pack leader".  By that I mean the thinking that you must be showing you are the leader 100% of the time.  If I am sitting on the couch and Addie gets next to me and puts her head in my lap I don't think it is her trying to "dominate" me.  She just wants some affection.  Now I can choose to give her affection or not.   I think we humans are more concerned about being the pack leader all the time than the dogs are.   ::)    Tad knows he is no where near the top and will never "dominate" any of the other dogs.  Yet he will go lay on top of them and the other dogs will allow him to.  They will put him in his place if they don't want to deal with him and he will show submissive behavior to them, but they don't seem to think him sleeping on them is him trying to dominate them.

My .02 as the "leader who doesn't feel I have to rule with an iron paw"
  ;D

Euro-monster

• Getbig V
  • Team Dutchie style!!
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2007, 04:52:58 AM »
I'm agreeing with Flower on her ways of being the pack leader.
It all depends on the dogs character.....some seem to need more "strictness" and some seem to be very submissive. Just watch the dog when he/she grows up and take the appropriative action....
?

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2007, 06:22:09 AM »
I'm agreeing with Flower on her ways of being the pack leader.
It all depends on the dogs character.....some seem to need more "strictness" and some seem to be very submissive. Just watch the dog when he/she grows up and take the appropriative action....

:-*    Because I know myself, I know there are certain breeds that would not be a good fit for me or the dog.  People should be aware of their own "limits" or style and choose a breed that fits that, and the dog itself no matter what the breed, that will be a good fit for both themselves and the dog. 

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2007, 09:48:46 AM »
I tried to stay out of this one, but I just can't. I have heard numerous times on this board "Never let your dog on top of you." I am sorry but that is pure bullshit IMHO. That should not be the only reason that your dog thinks its the lead animal. I have had numerous pits, from blues to red noses. I have always let my puppies lay on me, hell when Chaos and I play he always jumps on top of me when I am laying on the ground. When he sleeps at night he sleeps with his body wrappeed around my head. Like this [- the top one bieng him and the dash being my head. I have never ever had one of my dogs challenge me. They know that I am the boss and the wife falls into the second in command. Anyone else is fair game. This is his house after it is ours.  But I have never had my pits show aggression to anyone??? Except for the crack head my wifes brother brought over. My girl would let him in the living room but wouldn't allow him to sit down. It was crazy I had to put her outside. In my experiances I don't feel "the above you" action makes a dog think it is the leader??????

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2007, 10:48:14 AM »
In a literal sense, the "above you" is really "mounting behavior".  You will see this in both male and female dogs where the dominant dog takes a position to mount (either in front or back) the other dog and may engage in thrusting movements with the hips.   This is the literal interpretation of the "dog above you" idea.  unfortunately, its been warped somewhat as people interpret it differently and humans in their overly perverted prude nature try to avoid the mounting behavior, a behavior seen in multiple other canid species. 

Simply placing the hand on the dorsal surface of the pelvis and applying pressure can be used to assess this in most dogs--Iv'e literally nearly had the crap bit out of me trying to assess dominance in dogs in the shelter with this test.  Submissive dogs will tolerate hand pressure, dominant dogs will not let you get close and if you force it, will respond with vigor. 

The thing that is sometimes confusing about this behavior and often not mentioned by all the behavior gurus is that often times with young the dominant dog will take a submissive position in play.  My older female does this with both the dogo and the puppy, she' lays flat on her back in a submissive manner showing her belly and plays with them until things get out of hand, at which point she jumps up, rolls them on their side or back and proceeds give them a quick mounting.  ---in this behavior she is saying "I'm in charge" to the other dogs as the dominant female. 

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2007, 11:05:59 AM »
When I am sitting My dog will sometimes climb up and drape herself around my shoulders like she is a shawl.  Her tail wags like crazy an
d her mouth is open like a big smile and she tries to lick my face.  The whole time I'm laughing and trying to avoid her tongue on my face.  I've wondered if this was some type of attempt at dominance but there is no thrusting and in general she is very submissive to me.

its really hard to say because it may be a learned behavior in response to your positive response--ie you laughing or petting her.  

The same with the pictures in this thread.  They are a snapshot of a dogs behavior---is it dominance or play?  I don't think you can tell without seeing the dogs entire actions, not just the snapshot.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2007, 01:34:51 PM »
In a literal sense, the "above you" is really "mounting behavior".  You will see this in both male and female dogs where the dominant dog takes a position to mount (either in front or back) the other dog and may engage in thrusting movements with the hips.   This is the literal interpretation of the "dog above you" idea.  unfortunately, its been warped somewhat as people interpret it differently and humans in their overly perverted prude nature try to avoid the mounting behavior, a behavior seen in multiple other canid species. 

Simply placing the hand on the dorsal surface of the pelvis and applying pressure can be used to assess this in most dogs--Iv'e literally nearly had the crap bit out of me trying to assess dominance in dogs in the shelter with this test.  Submissive dogs will tolerate hand pressure, dominant dogs will not let you get close and if you force it, will respond with vigor. 

The thing that is sometimes confusing about this behavior and often not mentioned by all the behavior gurus is that often times with young the dominant dog will take a submissive position in play.  My older female does this with both the dogo and the puppy, she' lays flat on her back in a submissive manner showing her belly and plays with them until things get out of hand, at which point she jumps up, rolls them on their side or back and proceeds give them a quick mounting.  ---in this behavior she is saying "I'm in charge" to the other dogs as the dominant female. 

I may not have been clear in my statement....but this is what I was meaning for the most part