Author Topic: Ving Rhames dogs killed his assistant  (Read 5659 times)

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
Re: Ving Rhames dogs killed his assistant
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2007, 05:51:58 PM »

What is the need for anything?  Maybe he just likes that breed?  Let's not generalize everyone together either.

I will say though, that I don't think that was probably the best breed choice considering an actor can be away a lot.

Of course and it's not like he's in the security business or has a massive estate gaurding the world's great treasures.  ::)

Conclusion: Anothere wanna be tough guy who wanted to show off and had no business owning a breed such as that.

temper35

• Getbig III
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2007, 09:37:27 PM »
Of course and it's not like he's in the security business or has a massive estate gaurding the world's great treasures.  ::)

Conclusion: Anothere wanna be tough guy who wanted to show off and had no business owning a breed such as that.

Exactly.  When you buy a dog, you choose the breed based on your lifestyle and the traits of the breed.  Why does he need a dog that is inherent AGGRESSIVE, not apprehensive, but AGGRESSIVE towards strangers.  He doesn't.  I know nothing about Fila's but if that wiki entry is true Ving Rhames wins the bad decision of the month.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2007, 03:42:53 AM »
hmm . . . so that's what they're calling dog-sitters these days.

No, ...dog-sitters are what you call foreign actors & screenwriters, that you want to help out.

If you like someone, and want to help them get a green card, and be able to live & work legally in the USA, you hire them in some capacity in your household.
w

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2007, 04:08:00 AM »
Exactly.  When you buy a dog, you choose the breed based on your lifestyle and the traits of the breed.  Why does he need a dog that is inherent AGGRESSIVE, not apprehensive, but AGGRESSIVE towards strangers.  He doesn't.  I know nothing about Fila's but if that wiki entry is true Ving Rhames wins the bad decision of the month.

I disagree. Both with your assessment of Mr. Rhames, as well as his decision to buy that particular breed.

He's an award winning actor living in Brentwood. If you had any idea the amount of people that invade the privacy and living space of an actor in southern cali, ...actors waking up to find some nutball hanging in the oak tree in front of the house, or trying to scale the fence gets a little tiresome. The trespass is bad enough, but oft times you don't know if they are sane or whether they think you are their long lost spouse, ...or worse, ...the obstacle standing between you and the love of their life. If you've even had a taste of it, you would conclude that a dog aggressive towards strangers who may trespass on your property may be the ideal pet to own. Jacob lived there for 2 years, so he wasn't exactly a stranger.

The autopsy isn't in yet, so we don't know what the cause of death was. It would not surprise me if it indeed was heart failure. It's all just speculation at this point.

This at least solves the great mystery that's been plaguing me all weekend as to why Jacob all of a sudden popped into my head, and why I couldn't stop thinking about him. I'm so not looking forward to breaking this news to Frenchie, ...if she hasn't already heard, or any of his other friends.  :'(

Does anyone know how old the dogs were? The reason I ask is because I remember when the Duffy's got their Rottweillers. They got them as puppies, and made sure to introduce us to them from day one so they would get to know friends. They were the biggest puppies I had ever seen in my life! This was right about the time when Patrick was returning to Dallas, and was constantly in the spotlight having his privacy invaded. They needed some type of protection at the home.
w

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2007, 10:34:51 AM »
I disagree. Both with your assessment of Mr. Rhames, as well as his decision to buy that particular breed.

He's an award winning actor living in Brentwood. If you had any idea the amount of people that invade the privacy and living space of an actor in southern cali, ...actors waking up to find some nutball hanging in the oak tree in front of the house, or trying to scale the fence gets a little tiresome. The trespass is bad enough, but oft times you don't know if they are sane or whether they think you are their long lost spouse, ...or worse, ...the obstacle standing between you and the love of their life. If you've even had a taste of it, you would conclude that a dog aggressive towards strangers who may trespass on your property may be the ideal pet to own. Jacob lived there for 2 years, so he wasn't exactly a stranger.

Call me a fatalist, but thats why stars hire bodyguards, install security systems and live in relatively secluded areas.  Thats not why they own overly aggressive dogs (no matter what the breed is).  I say this because an aggressive dog is another person to hire to take care of it and train it.  I just don't see too many "stars" taking the time necessary to train a true protection dog.   Honestly, I don't see too many stars doing that unless there is a degree of machoism involved, and in that case they are owning the dog to show off more than to serve a particular function, such as protection.   

If you remove the macho factor, any dog that has a loud voice, be it a beagle, a lab, or a mutt from the pound will do the job these dogs have to do---and thats detect someone there and make a whole lot of noise so the security people know about it.  Any dog could potentially do that job. 

The autopsy isn't in yet, so we don't know what the cause of death was. It would not surprise me if it indeed was heart failure. It's all just speculation at this point.

I agree with this completely.  There are too many stories about what specific breeds (Fila vs English Mastiff vs Bull terrier) of dog were involved, if the dogs even killed him or what not circulating.  Things need to be sorted through before anyone jumps to conclusions. 

temper35

• Getbig III
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2007, 03:15:07 PM »

This at least solves the great mystery that's been plaguing me all weekend as to why Jacob all of a sudden popped into my head, and why I couldn't stop thinking about him. I'm so not looking forward to breaking this news to Frenchie, ...if she hasn't already heard, or any of his other friends.  :'(

Does anyone know how old the dogs were? The reason I ask is because I remember when the Duffy's got their Rottweillers. They got them as puppies, and made sure to introduce us to them from day one so they would get to know friends. They were the biggest puppies I had ever seen in my life! This was right about the time when Patrick was returning to Dallas, and was constantly in the spotlight having his privacy invaded. They needed some type of protection at the home.

Bullshit.  I have a Rottweiler, he is apprehensive towards strangers but not at all AGGRESSIVE.  Being standoffish or aloof around strangers is part of my dogs temperament, but feeling aggression and the need to attack people that are not known is not.  What if Ving gets a new girlfriend or something, that person is a stranger...they deserve to be attacked?  I know nothing about Fila's but if that breed description is true, it is not the right dog for him considering the fact that he is not home alot im sure, and it is HIS DOG.  it is an accident waiting to happen.

Also, in PA where I live, if someone commits a willful trespass in my home and my dog bites them, I am not at fault...well, that can be argued, but especially if they are advancing/aggressive and it can be proven.  My dog could go to town on someone like that and it'd be fine.  It may not be like that in every state, and to a Fila, the mailman or cable guy is a target of aggression.

For crying out loud in one of the pictures there was a fence you had to be buzzed through to enter his property, why'd he need a Fila?  Yes, it is his freedom to have one...until shit like that happens.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2007, 08:41:30 AM »
Well, I have no intention of letting my emotions get carried away. I'm sad that my friend died,
...but until there is an autopsy, ...and we know the cause of death, ...I'm not laying blame at anyone's feet.

For all we know... Jacob could have had a heart attack, ...and the dogs took a few bites out of him because they hadn't been fed in days ...maybe they thought he was sleeping, and they wanted to say 'Get up and get me some food' ...we don't know.  I will wait for the LA Coroner's report. I wonder how Ving is doing? He must be feeling pretty bad, and missing Jacob as well.
w

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2007, 09:19:45 AM »
Well, I have no intention of letting my emotions get carried away. I'm sad that my friend died,
...but until there is an autopsy, ...and we know the cause of death, ...I'm not laying blame at anyone's feet.

For all we know... Jacob could have had a heart attack, ...and the dogs took a few bites out of him because they hadn't been fed in days ...maybe they thought he was sleeping, and they wanted to say 'Get up and get me some food' ...we don't know.  I will wait for the LA Coroner's report. I wonder how Ving is doing? He must be feeling pretty bad, and missing Jacob as well.

And thats what really needs to be done--wait for the autopsy.  Everything else is just speculation until that report is returned.

temper35

• Getbig III
« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2007, 01:48:18 PM »

I meant NO disrespect whatsoever by the way, and am sorry for your loss.