Author Topic: Ving Rhames dogs killed his assistant  (Read 5658 times)

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
Ving Rhames dogs killed his assistant
« on: August 03, 2007, 05:40:13 PM »
A tragedy.

What kind of dogs did he have?
As empty as paradise

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
Re: Ving Rhames dogs killed his assistant
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2007, 05:42:55 PM »
hmm. . . maybe i should have started a thread identifying the kind of dog.  wait a minute . . .I did.

drkaje

• Getbig V
  • Quiet, Err. I'm transmitting rage.
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2007, 05:48:34 PM »
Think they were the little fluffy cute variety.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2007, 05:58:05 PM »
hmm. . . maybe i should have started a thread identifying the kind of dog.  wait a minute . . .I did.

I thought you were discussing some new FILA shoe. :-[
As empty as paradise

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2007, 06:01:54 PM »
I thought you were discussing some new FILA shoe. :-[

;D

they're saying the dogs didn't kill him per se . . . apparently, there was some kind of confrontation, and then the stress triggered a heart attack.  poor bastard.  what a way to go.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2007, 06:12:16 PM »
thats what I read

:-\

my cat could probably startle the person the same way

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2007, 06:13:42 PM »
thats what I read

:-\

my cat could probably startle the person the same way

i really doubt that the stress induced by 175 lbs dogs is in any way equivalent to that induced by a cat . . . unless you're talking about a lion or something.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2007, 06:15:15 PM »
i really doubt that the stress induced by 175 lbs dogs is in any way equivalent to that induced by a cat . . . unless you're talking about a lion or something.

I guess you've never met a stalking kitty during the middle of the night while you're holding a glass of milk

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2007, 06:54:37 PM »
I guess you've never met a stalking kitty during the middle of the night while you're holding a glass of milk

So this is the first I have heard of this.. Did the dog bite the guy???

temper35

• Getbig III
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2007, 07:19:15 PM »
That is bizarre.  Why would the dogs caretaker be afraid of the dog?  Maybe the relationship over the 2 yrs wasn't so good.  Either way, sad story.

drkaje

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2007, 04:50:03 AM »
;D

they're saying the dogs didn't kill him per se . . . apparently, there was some kind of confrontation, and then the stress triggered a heart attack.  poor bastard.  what a way to go.

Are you saying they were so cute his heart couldn't take it?

Euro-monster

• Getbig V
  • Team Dutchie style!!
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2007, 06:48:35 AM »
Are you saying they were so cute his heart couldn't take it?

No..what he is saying is that dogs are pack animals.
When the leader of the pack( a human) shows some kind of weakness( having a heart attack for example) the second dog in command will try and take over the lead...the rest of the dogs will follow the new leader by biting/killing the former leader..i know it sound stupid but i know there are several people in my country who got killed by their own dogs after a seizure of some kind..it triggers the dogs nature i guess.

But in all fairness ..it is better to have a heart attack with a room full of mini Chihuahua's then with a couple of Fila's thats for sure.. ;)
?

temper35

• Getbig III
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2007, 09:29:05 AM »
No..what he is saying is that dogs are pack animals.
When the leader of the pack( a human) shows some kind of weakness( having a heart attack for example) the second dog in command will try and take over the lead...the rest of the dogs will follow the new leader by biting/killing the former leader..i know it sound stupid but i know there are several people in my country who got killed by their own dogs after a seizure of some kind..it triggers the dogs nature i guess.

But in all fairness ..it is better to have a heart attack with a room full of mini Chihuahua's then with a couple of Fila's thats for sure.. ;)

That all depends on how strong the dogs pack drive is.  There is a similar situation with personal protection dogs, and even sometimes schutzhund dogs, where if the owner falls to the ground, the dog will change its attack from the decoy(or live example for real life situation) to the actual owner/handler.  It is bizarre but it can happen.  If this is the case the dog is trained to redirect its prey drive, but if the dogs pack drive is high enough, it is never an issue.  But what Euro-monster said is 100% true and CAN happen, although it really depends on how strong of a grasp you have over your dogs mind and how well it respects the heirarchy, and also the pack drive as I stated.  Every dog is different

emn1964

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2007, 09:36:46 AM »
Sounds like someone has watched a little too much Cesar Millan.

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2007, 10:02:10 AM »
That all depends on how strong the dogs pack drive is.  There is a similar situation with personal protection dogs, and even sometimes schutzhund dogs, where if the owner falls to the ground, the dog will change its attack from the decoy(or live example for real life situation) to the actual owner/handler.  It is bizarre but it can happen.  If this is the case the dog is trained to redirect its prey drive, but if the dogs pack drive is high enough, it is never an issue.  But what Euro-monster said is 100% true and CAN happen, although it really depends on how strong of a grasp you have over your dogs mind and how well it respects the heirarchy, and also the pack drive as I stated.  Every dog is different

You know, I've heard of that with shutzhund dogs, but I've never seen it.  I have seen lower level dogs (one specific dog who was just learning to take the bite sleeve) bite thehandlers/owners pretty bad though as the dog became overly excited.  I have always attributed that to stage of training (ie the dog was not ready to take the sleeve and owners thought it was)....

temper35

• Getbig III
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2007, 01:43:53 PM »
You know, I've heard of that with shutzhund dogs, but I've never seen it.  I have seen lower level dogs (one specific dog who was just learning to take the bite sleeve) bite thehandlers/owners pretty bad though as the dog became overly excited.  I have always attributed that to stage of training (ie the dog was not ready to take the sleeve and owners thought it was)....

Well I guess with anything once the dog is taught otherwise, the issue is solved.  Most dogs that go into serious bite work are bred responsibly so I guess you can expect good performance and the breeders know beforehand that their temperment is sound for that type of work, so the occasion of this happening is low.  I'm guessing its much more common in protection during simulation training.

Euro-monster

• Getbig V
  • Team Dutchie style!!
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2007, 04:51:21 AM »

I know what you said is true because i have seen it with my own eyes.
A dog turning against his owner on a sleeve attack!
Every dog is different but you have to admit that most of these storys of dog packs turning on their owner/handler are of the Mollosser variety. Don't get me wrong i am a mollosser owner and lover myself but thtas just the facts( at least in the part of the world where i live).
?

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2007, 09:50:52 AM »
I know what you said is true because i have seen it with my own eyes.
A dog turning against his owner on a sleeve attack!
Every dog is different but you have to admit that most of these storys of dog packs turning on their owner/handler are of the Mollosser variety. Don't get me wrong i am a mollosser owner and lover myself but thtas just the facts( at least in the part of the world where i live).

Have you seen the video clip of the European police dogs showing the dogs doing various training exercises--like dragging the driver of a van out the open window, taking a man in a bite suit down, jumping over a car to knock a guy down.  Its about a 6 minute video thats circulated the internet for the past few years.  Anyway, in that video, one of the dogs nails the handler's hand and was pretty reluctant to let go. 

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2007, 10:03:33 AM »

What is Schutzhund?
(from schaferhund.com)

Schutzhund is a German word meaning "protection dog". It refers to a sport that focuses on developing and evaluating those traits in dogs that make them even more useful and happier companions to their owners.

Schutzhund work concentrates on three parts. Many familiar with obedience work of the American Kennel Club's affiliates will recognize the first two parts, tracking and obedience. The Schutzhund standards for the third part, protection work, are similar to those for dogs in police work.

While dogs of other breeds are also admitted to Schutzhund trials, this breed evaluation test was developed specifically for the German Shepherd Dog. Schutzhund is intended to demonstrate the dog's intelligence and utility. As a working trial, Schutzhund measures the dog's mental stability, endurance, structural efficiencies, ability to scent, willingness to work, courage and trainability.

This working dog sport offers an opportunity for dog owners to train their dog and compete with each other for recognition of both the handler's ability to train and the dog's ability to perform as required. It is a sport enjoyed by persons of varied professions, who join together in a camaraderie born of their common interest in working with their dogs. Persons of all ages and conditions of life - even those with significant disabilities - enjoy Schutzhund as a sport. Often, it is a family sport.

R

drkaje

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2007, 10:05:27 AM »
What is Schutzhund?
(from schaferhund.com)

Schutzhund is a German word meaning "poops a lot".

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2007, 12:59:18 PM »
Crap!

I just got an email, ...seems the assistant that was killed is a friend of mine. He was a really cool guy too.

His name was Jacob Adams, and we had worked together on many shows.

He was a screenwriter as well as an actor, and a consumate gentleman. We had worked together on so many shows. There was a time when film production in TO was so busy, we'd be working back to back shows running from one film set to the other. I remember once we were both booked on a 3 day night shoot... a Nelson Mandela MOW. The final night of that shoot we wrapped at 3am, ...and both of us were booked to work on The Hurricane later that same day. Jacob lucked out with a call time of 14:30hrs, but my call time was 07:30hrs. He let me crash at his place to save me the 2 hr commute in & out of the city, allowing me to add an extra 2 hrs of beauty sleep. He gave me his bed til 6:30, while he took the couch for 3 hrs. Then he got a good 6 hrs of shut eye before starting his day. We met up on set later in the afternoon.

I don't know how I'm going to break the news to a few people. Jacob is gonna be sadly missed.  :'(

RIP Jacob!

http://omg.yahoo.com/man-mauled-at-rhames-house-identified/news/1489
w

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2007, 01:22:50 PM »
He was a screenwriter as well as an actor,

hmm . . . so that's what they're calling dog-sitters these days.

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2007, 01:32:10 PM »
What is the need for a dog breed such as this? Epic tough guy wannabe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fila_Brasileiro

The Fila needs a confident, experienced owner who can properly curb the breed's natural aggression towards strangers. Because of its aggression, it is not well suited to busy households which have many guests. Such aggression is instinctive in Filas, so much so that the Brazilian breed standard advises show judges not to touch the dog. [2] However, the FCI standard allows for disqualification of very aggressive dogs. Few Filas will attack for no reason, but none will be friendly with strangers.

I like dogs, but I love how dog lovers try and stretch the truth about the animals.. They say bengal tigers don't attack from the front, oh I guess that means they're not dangerous.  ::) ::) Dog owners have the same attitude.

davidpaul

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2007, 03:51:01 PM »
hmm . . . so that's what they're calling dog-sitters these days.
;D

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2007, 04:06:37 PM »
What is the need for a dog breed such as this? Epic tough guy wannabe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fila_Brasileiro

I like dogs, but I love how dog lovers try and stretch the truth about the animals.. They say bengal tigers don't attack from the front, oh I guess that means they're not dangerous.  ::) ::) Dog owners have the same attitude.

What is the need for anything?  Maybe he just likes that breed?  Let's not generalize everyone together either.

I will say though, that I don't think that was probably the best breed choice considering an actor can be away a lot.