Author Topic: Great Dane Gives Birth To Litter Of 16  (Read 6622 times)

knny187

• Getbig V
Great Dane Gives Birth To Litter Of 16
« on: August 09, 2007, 10:25:11 AM »
Great Dane Gives Birth To Litter Of 16
Owners Had Expected Just Five New Puppies
(CBS) MANCHESTER, United Kingdom A Great Dane dog in Manchester has given birth to 16 puppies after a grueling 20 hours in labor, leaving her owners perplexed over what to do with the vast litter.

But despite Macey's success, she hasn't broken the world record of 24 puppies born to a Cambridgeshire dog in 2005.

Macey's proud owners Daniel and Jennifer Wilding, of Urmston, were expecting no more than four or five new arrivals.

But Macey, a two-year-old pedigree Blue, left them shocked after 20-hours in labor.

One pup died days later, but Daniel and Jennifer are now looking for new homes for 14 after deciding to keep a male for themselves.

Daniel, who brought Macey home when she was just a seven week-old puppy, said: "We have got our hands full that's for sure. We decided to have a litter because we wanted to have one of her children. She has got a lovely temperament and we had her mated a couple of months ago. We found out that she was pregnant through the vets. They said they could feel four puppies. Then she had a litter of 16. Our reaction was one of shock and horror really. She had four within hours and they just kept coming. We were stunned. Macey is perfectly fine and healthy and so are the pups. They are just starting to walk around and play with each other. It's lovely."

Daniel and Jennifer have yet to name any of the pups and said finding room for them all to sleep was proving difficult.

Great Danes are among the largest of dog breeds.

"The vets were shocked," Daniel added. "Great Danes do have large litters but nothing this size. We are going to keep one, a boy, but we are looking for good homes for the others. The house is utter madness at the moment but it is enjoyable to see them growing."

cute video with the story:
http://cbs5.com/watercooler/watercooler_story_220151142.html

knny187

• Getbig V
Re: Great Dane Gives Birth To Litter Of 16
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2007, 10:25:48 AM »
I'm amazed how they got this picture:

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2007, 10:40:02 AM »
They are blues!! Gorgeous!!!    :D

The raw/no vacs chi breeder that had her 3rd generation litter was 6 Puppies!! That is a good size for a Chihuahua litter!!!

dizzleman06

• Getbig III
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2007, 10:43:49 AM »
They are so cute...

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2007, 10:45:16 AM »
Awwwww! :)
R

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2007, 11:11:00 AM »
The largest litter we had with our Labradors was 7.

I can't imagine 15!!!

I have no idea how you can keep an eye on that many.

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2007, 11:26:46 AM »
OMG!!!    :o

They are beautiful!!!   I LOVE the blue danes!!  They are my favorite next to the blacks.

The pics are great!  They are so cute, they make me want to cry!   :D
:)

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2007, 11:29:47 AM »
Make sure to check out the vdeo

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2007, 11:43:49 AM »
Awwwwww   ADORABLE!!   
It reminds me of this comedian I heard once who said something like "have you ever seen a puppy that is SO cute you just want to pick it up and squeeze it till it pops?"   :D

I don't know HOW they couldn't tell she had that many pups in there...maybe not 16, but she had to have been HUGE.  It seems like they could have predicted it was gonna be a large litter.

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2007, 12:07:26 PM »
I know!!  They should of least been thinking 10 or something, but 5?  Maybe it was there first litter and they assumed she would be huge, but I would think the vet would of suspected? 

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2007, 12:46:29 PM »
If they could hear the hearbeats....it must of sounded like a bunch of horses running

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2007, 01:02:58 PM »

I would LOVE to play with 15 Dane puppies!!    :D

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2007, 01:11:01 PM »
I would LOVE to play with 15 Dane puppies!!    :D

ME TOO!!!  I wanna play!  I want to sit on the ground with them and have them attack me!!   :D

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2007, 01:16:41 PM »

ME TOO!!!  I wanna play!  I want to sit on the ground with them and have them attack me!!   :D

Imagine having a jar of peanut butter....you would be mauled

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2007, 03:39:58 PM »
I know!!  They should of least been thinking 10 or something, but 5?  Maybe it was there first litter and they assumed she would be huge, but I would think the vet would of suspected? 

It depends on how they diagnosed the pregnancy.  Palpation is horribly inaccurate.  I can see where they may hav eonly felt 5 or 6 puppies palpating, especially in a large breed dog.  All you can really say in a pregnancy diagnosis by palpation is I feel X puppies.  There may be more. 

If they had taken radiographs past 45 days of gestation (thats the earliest the skeleton is formed at 42-45 days) they could have gotten a pretty accurate estimate by counting heads and backbones. 

They could have also gotten an accurate estimate after 24 (21-25 days) days of pregnancy with an abdominal ultrasound. 

davidpaul

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2007, 03:59:25 PM »
Thats pretty awesome man, really cute.

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2007, 05:03:43 PM »
Imagine having a jar of peanut butter....you would be mauled

I had to come back and look at the pics one more time tonight, and I just noticed this... :D

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2007, 05:18:58 PM »

I had to come back and look at the pics one more time tonight, and I just noticed this... :D

I remembered when I was a kid & being around a bunch of puppies.

One story I remember was sitting on the ground eating something & one of them discovered it was food!  Well, I guess they have "feeding" noises & that one little pup squealed.   Before I knew it...I was being trampeled by 7 little puppies.  The funny thing is...when you start laughing....the start licking even worse.  You'll have 2-3 of them alone licking your ears, another 2 on your face, & 2 others trying to wrestle the food out of your hand.

Now...imagine 15!

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2007, 02:15:08 PM »
They are blues!! Gorgeous!!!    :D

The raw/no vacs chi breeder that had her 3rd generation litter was 6 Puppies!! That is a good size for a Chihuahua litter!!!

Are you suggesting that no vacs don't get these extreme sized litters?

And BTW, what a tragedy. Hopefully all dogs are ok.
As empty as paradise

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2007, 03:26:14 PM »
Are you suggesting that no vacs don't get these extreme sized litters?

And BTW, what a tragedy. Hopefully all dogs are ok.

I'm suggesting the opposite, nice healthy sized litter from a healthy breeding. :)
 Why is the chi litter a tragedy?  All puppies are fine and the healthiest she has ever had.  :D

You just post shit to post don't you?   ::) If you want to ask questions just ask them, no reason to post whatever pops into your head with out thinking all the time.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2007, 05:59:56 AM »

I'm suggesting the opposite, nice healthy sized litter from a healthy breeding. :)
 Why is the chi litter a tragedy?  All puppies are fine and the healthiest she has ever had.  :D

You just post shit to post don't you?   ::) If you want to ask questions just ask them, no reason to post whatever pops into your head with out thinking all the time.

No, I meant the Great Dane. Sorry for not being clear.

16 dogs are extreme, I thought that maybe you meant it could be caused by the dog being vacc'ed and not being fed raw food.

And I was interested in getting your input on how non-vacc and raw food could have influence on litter size and litter health.

That was it really. :-\
As empty as paradise

~weed~

« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2007, 06:59:06 AM »
oh- sorry  ::)

16 is extreme, and to have 15 of the 16 survive is great! And just judging by the pics of the pups, they all appear to be healthy and normal size.   I don't know if raw/minimal to no vacs would affect the size of the litter, but I do think it could have an affect on the health of the litter.  It may play a part in the numbers for breeds that generally have small litters (Chihuahuas for instance) but I don't believe there are any studies out there.  I know of a Dane litter that was only 2 puppies, small for Danes, and they were raw/no vacs.  Healthy puppies, just a small litter. 

And I made a mistake, the Chihuahua litter was 7 puppies, not 6!!   :o  I do think that being 3rd generation raw and no vacs did play a part in all 7 surviving and being very healthy, and possibly the size of the litter by the mother being able to carry all to term. 

A big litter is not always better of course.  The strain on the mother to feed all of them could affect the health and growth of the puppies, and usually with oversize litters some human helping with the feeding may be necessary.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2007, 11:43:00 AM »
Seems logical that the size of the litter won't be affected.

Whether or not the health of the litter is affected positively/negatively is probably something that is up for argument, but I find your POV interesting.

As empty as paradise

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2007, 11:51:01 AM »

she's kept her figure really well . . .

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2007, 04:08:36 AM »
Last Edit:       August 14, 2007, 11:24:51 PM