Author Topic: No Deads, no half-deads, no bent-over rows...  (Read 4995 times)

jpm101

• Getbig IV
Re: No Deads, no half-deads, no bent-over rows...
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2007, 10:25:38 AM »
Of course it would be helpful if we knew the cause affect of Wooo back problem(s); muscle, spine, joint, nerve damage, etc. Lower, middle or upper back? And does overhead pressing cause back pain? But anyway I'm going with the idea that's it's the lower back causing trouble.

Might consider chins as opposed to pulldowns. With chins you are moving a body through space. Allowing, for the most part, less stress on the lower back. With pulldowns you are forced to anchor down the lower body. That pivot point on the lower back is receiving unneeded stress.  Even those bench/incline rows (pictured) can affect the lower back of some people  by the simple act of holding the body/back in a firm position (like in the DL where the back is holding the body in position while the legs are doing the actual lifting from the floor). For the time being you might want to avoid any form of bent over rowing until the back is normal.

Another benefit of chins is that they can help stretch the whole back, helping with a natural alinement. Rope climbing ( leg straight out) is an excellent back (and bicep) exercise, though few men have the opportunity to do this exercise. Chins are a mass builder when done right, with experimenting with different hand spacings. And adding weight when ever possible.

Pullovers are also a excellent back exercise, with less stress on the lower back when the knees are drawn up during the movement. This position also give a better stretch to the lats/back/rib box because the ab's are more relaxed (less pull from them) than when the legs are stretched out. GM'ing are also good, but just use the bar for higher reps to start with. Probably a couple sets of 50's. May seem like sissy stuff, bar only, but you want to bring more flexability and more healing blood to the lower back area. In fact I would doubt that not too many men who come to this site could do a 100 rep set of GM'ing without stopping. But do add weight as the lower back becomes stronger.

Might try chins follower by pullovers (bent or straight armed). Or a set of pullovers before chins. Pullovers are one of my favorite exercises and have gotten some good results with a set of straight are pullovers (lighter weight..7-10 reps) immediately followed by a set of bent arm pullovers (heavier weight...7-10 reps). Either BB or DB's with pullovers. DB's seem to give me a better stretch. Good Luck.

Side Bar: if the injury lingers, staying about the same, than rest would be advised. That and seeing a sports doctor.
F

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
  • quit·ter : a person can't finish a task
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2007, 11:29:59 AM »
Im a mean old cynical bastard too, I try to fight it ;D.

I agree.

NUMBER ONE THING - GET IT LOOKED AT BY THE Doc!!
But, Ive been thru the mill of our "Health Care System" and its a sorry ass business.
If that back has been hurtin long term, I dont care what anyone says. Get it X-ray'd and MRI'd.
Rule out what you can. Low back injuries are for life.

The problem is this....Woo wants exercises to 'fix' his low back.  He also seems to want to continually complain about his problem.

Regarding what you do with a 'cramp' versus a herniation.  Well, in any type of low back injury (either acute or chronic) certain things overlap.  These are the things Woo is being told....yet doesnt want to open his ears to hear.

LongtimeLurker

• Getbig II
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2007, 11:51:06 AM »

Now, that right there looks like something worth experimenting with if lower back pain is an issue.  Nearly zero stress on the lower back. 

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2007, 12:11:12 PM »

Now, that right there looks like something worth experimenting with if lower back pain is an issue.  Nearly zero stress on the lower back. 

Actually that's a great lat workout with or without back problems, and can be done using DBs as well. I think it hits the lats better than BB rows, which i did for years and put close to last relative to other exercises.

pjs

• Getbig II
  • As I am
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2007, 12:46:19 PM »
What you're missing is that it *is* possible to give options, and that others reading this will apply it to their own situations. It's good general advice for anyone.

Not even a little bit.  But OK.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2007, 01:03:59 PM »
Not even a little bit.  But OK.

I forgot that you're always right. Thanks for the reminder.

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2007, 01:10:03 PM »

My low back is trash. I screwed together a high-bench along the lines of this bench in about 45 min with a screw-gun and about $20 worth of 2 x 4s from Home Depot.

THat movement puts ZERO stress on the low back. I use DBs and drop them on pads at failure.

Can raise the front with 2x12" blocks to change angle.

Mine is high enough to also do  Reverse-Hyper type leg raises also.

Get injured? Get Creative.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2007, 07:10:18 PM »
The problem is this....Woo wants exercises to 'fix' his low back.  He also seems to want to continually complain about his problem.

please show me where i said this...

i said i had to work around a chronic problem... you must be the dumbest physio ever... a potential patient (low potential) says "x" and you say no it's "y" without listening...

thanks to pumpster and the rest who has inserted interesting ideas