Author Topic: Non gay alternative to T bar row.  (Read 14412 times)

Alex23

Non gay alternative to T bar row.
« on: September 19, 2007, 01:39:45 AM »
Allways worked well considering my strong tick structure.

Unfortunately working around a lumbar injury nowadays and can't pass the 4 plates level without feeling uncomfortable.

The "chest assisted" rowing machine is a piece of shit and cuts me out of all breathing when loading more thant 4 plates as well.

Smith reverse grip is a good alternative but considering the fucking gays at my gym, that position is too tempting for them and I hate thinking they're making mental images for a later intimate moment with a box of kleenex.

Any other alternatives?

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
Re: Non gay alternative to T bar row.
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2007, 07:32:48 AM »
DB rows, incline db rows, 2 arm db rows
Squishy face retard

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 12:06:07 PM »
Corner rows are probably out of the question, too?

Mike

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2007, 12:08:34 PM »

Unfortunately working around a lumba injury nowadays and can't pass the 4 plates level without feeling uncomfortable.

The "chest assisted" rowing machine is a piece of shit and cuts me out of all breathing when loading more thant 4 plates as well.

Smith reverse grip is a good alternative but considering the fucking gays at my gym, that position is too tempting for them and I hate thinking they're making mental images for a later intimate moment with a box of kleenex.

Any other alternatives?

What about the Hammer Strength Plate Loaded Seated Row?  You can put your chest flush against the pad or just really brace hard with your legs and you'll be fine.

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2007, 12:16:38 PM »
You can do 2-arm Db rows on an adjustable incline bench. Lie front side on the bench and row away. To improve ROM if needed, stick a block on the back end of the bench.
follow the arrows

freespirit

• Getbig V
  • Revolt!
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2007, 12:55:23 PM »
Barbell row

Mike

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2007, 01:31:36 PM »
You can do 2-arm Db rows on an adjustable incline bench. Lie front side on the bench and row away. To improve ROM if needed, stick a block on the back end of the bench.

Same problem as he stated earlier though:

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2007, 02:01:54 PM »
Try taking most of the stress off the lower back and do weighted chins for awhile. Give the rows (bentover BB row or other wise) a break for awhile.  Might prefer a hammer or curl medium grip for a better focus on the lats when chinning. If doing rows than one hand DB rows. With the free hand braced where ever and the knees bent a bit. Pull the DB nearer the body than further away as some will do. Unless you want more influence on the posterior delt and trap but still influence the lats to a lesser degree. Good Luck.
F

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2007, 02:10:49 PM »
Ya you could just focus on chins. Or some pulldowns + add some pullovers. These 2 types of exercises should be part of your back routine anyway.

As far as rows, do something like in the pics; like hammer rows they're actually more intense on the lats IMO. On the first one you can also use DBs if you like.

As far as the chest issue, you can move up or down the bench to avoid it; the back will still be braced. Or lie perpendicular to the bench; as long as the back's braced somewhere it'll work. You can use a towel between the bench and you it should help a little.

One-arm DB rows; again because the back's braced i find them more effective than two-handed rows, and less stressful on the back.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2007, 04:15:17 PM »
try the hammer strength icarian rowing machine if you have one available... 2 arms at a time or independently... the one at my gym allows for 6 plates per arm... it's pretty awesome

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
  • Thought is the arrow of time; memory never fades.
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2007, 05:02:30 PM »
Same problem as he stated earlier though:

no, it doesnt have to be. if you do db rows lying on a bench you can place yourself so that the chest isnt pressed that hard to the bench (for example lying more on the tummy than the chest), also you have more freedom to move hands which makes it more comfortable.

Alex23

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2007, 12:27:51 AM »
What about the Hammer Strength Plate Loaded Seated Row?  You can put your chest flush against the pad or just really brace hard with your legs and you'll be fine.

Yup. Exactly what I went for. Maxed the machine with 5 plates on each side (gotta find a why to load more next time)

upper back / traps are killing me today ;D

flexingtonsteele

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The new age pussy Punisher!
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2007, 01:03:58 AM »
hammer strength high row is  a good machine, it really hits the upper/mid back well

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2007, 02:48:18 AM »
Yup. Exactly what I went for. Maxed the machine with 5 plates on each side (gotta find a why to load more next time)

do dumbbell rows first, then try it!  :)

Mike

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2007, 04:58:50 AM »

5 Plates is great!  I'm guessing that 1 arm at a time?  Rowing them together takes a lot more strength but that's possible as well. 

You need to get 90lbs plates at your gym!

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2007, 05:46:29 AM »

HEY ALEX! If you're plates are thin enough, you can load them on the inside support arm that rests on the padded stop on the machine. It's an easy way to get 6 plates on it or you can lay one on top if you control hte movement and not jerk it all over. We could add plates in like that at the old gym and get 7 per side, the new gym has those thick rubber coated ones to not fuck up their pretty floors so I'm stuck with only five. Just a suggestion. It's worth trying. BUT you hafta load that inside one in first because once loaded down, there's no way you can add that plate in there wihtout another person to hold the arm out to get to the support.

WillRiker

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2007, 07:09:36 AM »
Corner rows are probably out of the question, too?

LOL  ;D

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2007, 07:48:29 PM »
For middle back thickness, try a variety of Kelso Shrugs. Can try them in the 2-arm db row I described or on the seated cable row- the seated cable shrug. Just throwing some idears out there for you niggah's.
follow the arrows

Alex23

« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2007, 07:51:15 PM »
For middle back thickness, try a variety of Kelso Shrugs. Can try them in the 2-arm db row I described or on the seated cable row- the seated cable shrug. Just throwing some idears out there for you niggah's.

Thanks bro. I actually love the seated cable shrugs. Looks gay at first but really helped me build the mind-muscle nervous path for some reason. Now any tickness exercise, I feel the middle back get much more involved.

It also started to pop out a lot lately. Allways had a tick back but predominantly lats tick.

Not anymore ;D

willie mosconi

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2007, 11:31:45 PM »
I've always liked to true t-bar row

as opposed to the shitty chest supported types

Gold's Gym Venice, the damn supposed Mecca of bodybuilding never replaced the true t-bar row seen in the first picture above after it broke about two years ago. What a disgrace  >:(

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2007, 05:40:30 AM »
I've always liked to true t-bar row

as opposed to the shitty chest supported types

Gold's Gym Venice, the damn supposed Mecca of bodybuilding never replaced the true t-bar row seen in the first picture above after it broke about two years ago. What a disgrace  >:(

Both are great, both viable alternatives to BB rows that work the lats hard.

willie mosconi

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2007, 08:39:06 AM »
Both are great, both viable alternatives to BB rows that work the lats hard.

I've always felt like the one in the first picture is much better than the second. I definitely feel it working my back more

shiftedShapes

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2007, 10:59:27 AM »

Unfortunately working around a lumba injury nowadays and can't pass the 4 plates level without feeling uncomfortable.

Any other alternatives?

try lever ups, they are a great back work out:

if they get too easy try pulling your body all the way to the bar without bending the arms

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
  • Thought is the arrow of time; memory never fades.
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2007, 03:29:29 PM »
try lever ups, they are a great back work out:

if they get too easy try pulling your body all the way to the bar without bending the arms

::)

shiftedShapes

• Getbig IV
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2007, 03:56:13 PM »
::)

are these too easy for you slaveboy?  or is the eyeroll because you think Alex is way too weak to attempt them.  Either way they can be modified for a trainee of any ability level.  Unless it's just the case that the eyeroll is intended to communicate contempt without any real thought behind it.  There is no remedy for this kind of knee jerk prejudice to the unfamiliar.  So if you are just a thoughtless biggot I can't help you.