Author Topic: One Bad Olympia experience  (Read 4460 times)

wise072

• Getbig I
One Bad Olympia experience
« on: October 04, 2007, 12:53:56 PM »
I have never posted on this board.  I am a new member.  I have often read things on here.  Just setting the record straight.  Last weekend I had the opportunity (financially and such) to attend the Olympia in Las Vegas.  I had a great time. I got to meet many of my fitness and figure idols.  Most of them were so friendly I could not believe it.  I spent money for the VIP and I did attend most of the events.  Fantastic time! 

My husband and I had the most unpleasant experience however.  I guess you get the good with the bad.  I did not agree with the placing in either of the fitness or figure, but I am not a judge so what do I know.  I do know that anyone that gets to compete in this show should be honored, it is the biggest show in the world right?  Anyways,  after the show I had the experience of seeing a competitor crying (having a meltdown) all the way back to her hotel. Her placing was 2nd.   I really wanted a picture with her, as I WAS a fan and was waiting outside for her.  My question is WHY is runner up not good enough?  Didn't Kelly Ryan use to act like this?  Someone fill me in.  I hate saying names but all week this has really eaten at me and I thought maybe someone could answer this for me and clarify such behavior. 

I did get my pictures taken with other top finishers who seemed excited.  I do want to say Congrads to everyone who was in the show, I loved the routines and it was money well spent.  I just wish I would have not been so let down by someone I look up to.  Oh well, I have other athletes to admire I guess.

I am not trying to start a rumble, I just want some answers. Thank you!

CQ

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • TGT
Re: Bad Olympia experience
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2007, 02:19:37 PM »
I heard a smiliar thing myself about a certain competitor...

Publically crying as you placed 2nd in a show is really ghey. I mean get a life already ::)

I myself had a minor meltdown before over not winning a show, but I did not do it *publically*. I merely went to my hotel room and drank a whole pile of wine and called it a day. No call to be all crying in public over a show, not like you just lost a family member or had something really bad happen. Totally embarrassing on her part really...

Scooby

• Getbig II
  • Can you dig it?
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2007, 03:30:17 PM »
Anyways,  after the show I had the experience of seeing a competitor crying (having a meltdown) all the way back to her hotel. Her placing was 2nd.   

I am not trying to start a rumble, I just want some answers. Thank you!

I can answer this several ways...

All the training, dieting and depleting takes a major toll on a persons mental state because you are so focused on one goal then you add in lack of carbs (which is needed for proper brain function) and you end up with a very unstable emotional state.

Add in the fact you are coming off a major victory and your expectations and everyone elses are set so high that anything other than another victory is a disappointment in your mind... which of course it is NOT a disappointment to anyone, but mentally for that person that is where the bar has been set.

Then add in all the praise and accolades the people around you have told you for the past 8 months... and you end up with what you saw.

I have seen it many times at various shows, not just from women but even from men who don't make the top 15 at an amateur show.  So this isn't a gender thing, it is an emotional state brought on by high expectations and severe dieting... everyone knows somebody who diets and gets mood swings... well you saw the severe side.

I am truly sorry you witnessed that... I know her, and she truly is a sweetheart.  Hopefully you understand the points I made above and do not hold it against her.  Trust me she is far from being anything like Kelly.  Its just one of those things that happens, its just sad that it happened in public.

hairdo

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2007, 05:11:15 PM »
i dont get it so what if someone crys it just shows they are human.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2007, 05:18:22 PM »

You think that's bad? You should've seen me when I came out after the finals and, to my horror, discovered that the beer stand was already closed

I cried like a baby all the way to the poker room, I tell ya.   :'(

hairdo

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2007, 05:33:09 PM »
also why did you feel the need to say she placed second as we all know who you are talking about . it looks to me as you are trying to start a rumble

wise072

• Getbig I
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2007, 06:02:25 PM »
Hairdo -you are right!  I should not have said that but I did and sorry!  It really is not about the crying. It is the fact that I just wanted a simple "Hello" and the opportunity to get a photo or say "Way to go".  I really looked up to her and was simply upset about not getting the opportunity to meet her.  Again, no harm intended I was just curious as to why winning seemed to be everything.  I think being Runner up is TERRIFIC! 

Scooby -what did you mean by :  (Then add in all the praise and accolades the people around you have told you for the past 8 months... and you end up with what you saw.) You know it is interesting you said this.  Is there a guarantee of some sort you will win the International and Olympia in the same year?  Can you explain? 

Tre- I definitely experienced the beer stand closing also.

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2007, 06:31:17 PM »
All the training, dieting and depleting takes a major toll on a persons mental state because you are so focused on one goal then you add in lack of carbs (which is needed for proper brain function) and you end up with a very unstable emotional state.

Add in the fact you are coming off a major victory and your expectations and everyone elses are set so high that anything other than another victory is a disappointment in your mind... which of course it is NOT a disappointment to anyone, but mentally for that person that is where the bar has been set.

Then add in all the praise and accolades the people around you have told you for the past 8 months... and you end up with what you saw.

I have seen it many times at various shows, not just from women but even from men who don't make the top 15 at an amateur show.  So this isn't a gender thing, it is an emotional state brought on by high expectations and severe dieting... everyone knows somebody who diets and gets mood swings... well you saw the severe side.

I am truly sorry you witnessed that... I know her, and she truly is a sweetheart.  Hopefully you understand the points I made above and do not hold it against her.  Trust me she is far from being anything like Kelly.  Its just one of those things that happens, its just sad that it happened in public.

I agree.  It's a looooong hard ride, especially at that level, with alot of sacrifice and a lot people with high expectations.  Shit happens that you may not be prepared for or able to deal with appropriately.  I know her too, and she's a great person.  I wouldn't hold it against her, especially if it was right after the show.  I imagine her perspective on things has changed a bit since then.

:)

Lift Studios

• Getbig V
  • http://www.liftstudios.com
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2007, 06:41:17 PM »
I believe Scooby means that everyone around you tells you, you're the best you're the winner and you will prevail. When you have everyone around you telling you that you will win this year, you believe it. When you beat the champ (adela) at one show you fully believe you can do it again. When it doesn't happen disappointment sets in. It happens.

I witnessed Kelly place her lowest ever finish at the Arnold a couple years back. A little girl came up to her while Kelly and I were talking in the lobby and asked for Kelly's autograph. She had a copy of Oxygen magazine in her hand. Kelly was swearing and complaining about the judging an oblivious to the little girl's wishes. When the mother then asked if her daughter could get an autograph, she responded , "Ugh I guess". This was this little girl's only experience with her idol. Is it the one you want to give? Most likely not.

I'm not comparing Kim to Kelly in any way but as professional competitors you never know who you will make an impact on. Some might say to pick different idols, some might say it's not their job to be mentors. I'm sure Kim was disappointed, I'm sure she meant no harm in what you saw.
Elevate Your Image.™

CQ

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • TGT
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2007, 07:01:05 PM »
Being dissapointed/crying is all well and good, we've all been there, and I can only imagine the far greater amount felt at Olympia level, but public composure is always best imo. For one, it leads to things like this post and the other post on this board relating a far more dramatic and unflattering version of this event. Totally understandable to those of us who compete and understand the whole thing, but imo it does not reflect your best image in general, especially as a "pro".

NPCFigureChick

• Getbig II
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2007, 07:56:25 PM »
i guess there is a first time for everything as i totaly agree with isaac

a professional athlete indeed is human but this olympia we talking about and you have to be professional thoughout the whole weekend as you never know who is the person next to you. it might be a reporter or potential sponsor or a fan who flew to vegas and spent thousands of dollars so he or she can witness their idol compete at the most important show of the year.

i met kim on few ocassions and even though she seems like a nice person but for whatever reason she thought this title will be hers and i think all the work she did for the ifbb, she probably thought she "earned" the title.

i thought chica won easily and i am sure kim knows that too

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2007, 08:02:25 PM »

Yep will agree with this.  Your emotions get so exagerated while prepping just little things going wrong can put you over the edge.  Its not being a baby, its being human.

Scooby

• Getbig II
  • Can you dig it?
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2007, 08:34:52 AM »
Scooby -what did you mean by :  (Then add in all the praise and accolades the people around you have told you for the past 8 months... and you end up with what you saw.) You know it is interesting you said this.  Is there a guarantee of some sort you will win the International and Olympia in the same year?  Can you explain? 

Lift pretty much explained what I meant... Basically when the people around you day-to-day (family and friends) tell you how great you are, how awesome you look, and that you are gonna go to Vegas and kick ass.  Mentally that just sets a person up for a HUGE let down if it isn't the outcome.

No there is no guarantee, but winning the International definitely means you are a serious contender for the Olympia.  History shows this, and not just in Fitness but in Figure also with Jenny winning the Arnold and Davana winning the Olympia w/Jenny 2nd... and Men's with Victor winning the Arnold and placing 2nd to Jay at the O (or Jay winning the Arnold and placing 2nd to Ronnie at the O).  Even in Fitness history with Kelly or Jenny Worth winning the Arnold and Susie Curry winning the O and those 2 right behind her.

Right now in Fitness I think the Top 3 could flip-flop places on any given day depending on who brings their "A" game and who is off by a hair.  Adela and Jen both realize this and accept it... hopefully Kim comes to accept it also.

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2007, 09:03:28 AM »
Is everyone 100% sure she was crying because she didn't win?  Isn't it possible that wasn't the reason?

It really is not about the crying. It is the fact that I just wanted a simple "Hello" and the opportunity to get a photo or say "Way to go".  

I'm sure that her not responding to you had nothing to do w/you so please don't hold it against her.  And those girls all had to be exhausted after waiting backstage for hours before performing.  Even I felt like crying after sitting through over 2 hours of men's prejudging!  j/k ;D

R

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2007, 02:42:11 PM »
Is everyone 100% sure she was crying because she didn't win?  Isn't it possible that wasn't the reason?

Some people cry after an orgasm!!      ;D

Samourai Pizzacat

• Getbig IV
  • Meeoow!!
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2007, 03:46:02 PM »
That's the risk of seeing an athlete shortly after an event. They're not perfect 'ambassadors' for their sport, just humans in this particular case a mentally and emotionally drained person. Judging a person by such a snapshot moment is silly. Things will look different the day after.

Seriously, do we really want athletes to be ambassadors? I don't care about their PR, they should work their ass off, be passionate about their sport and, in the process, entertain us. I mean, I'm sorry you didn't get your autograph, but you're being selfish at that moment aswell, pot meet kettle.

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2007, 10:57:12 PM »
Every athlete, especially right before, during and after a contest can be vastly different in your experience than seeing them later on.  I am glad that many backstage are cool enough to let me take their pictures, while concentrating on the contest. At the Meet the Olympians Thursday evening, almost every single competitor was awesome, friendly and nice. Including the competitor you are taking about. She was even gracious backstage.

Backstage, their is a lot of emotion running, especially when one realizes that the callouts may not go there way. There is anger, resentment, and a myriad of other emotions, coupled with family members or friends also feeling various ways.  These competitors train and diet very hard, and sometimes, even not placing where you want can be devestating.

I have seen it many times, people very upset, backstage, later on, and you feel for them. 

Yes, many are cool to take their pictures afterwards, but some are just quite upset. 

But don't let this one incident mess up the entire weekend. It was just a great weekend, seeing the top competitors around, being in Vegas in the best show. You can't beat it.

CQ

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • TGT
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2007, 02:35:39 AM »
Right now in Fitness I think the Top 3 could flip-flop places on any given day depending on who brings their "A" game and who is off by a hair.  Adela and Jen both realize this and accept it... hopefully Kim comes to accept it also.

I more than agree, those 3 to me are totally comparable and all outstanding. For myself, I actually can not make a determination who I think is better, all are fantastic; routines and physiques

Unfortunately though, many people tend to remember negatives. A public display of being upset can often overshadow a fantastic performance in some aspects. If someone doesn't care less, than cool, but realistically many people do, they don't want to be known or talked about for their actions afterwards. Everything in life is a learning lesson though, so it's all good.

The BEAST

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • She-Beast
Re: One Bad Olympia experience
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2007, 09:43:57 AM »
The next day I saw her in the elevator at the hotel, I congratulated her and she was very kind-said thank you and looked composed and happy.  Unfortunately right after a show your emotions can get away from you, I have always been extremely emotional and cry very easily over athletic events.  I HATE this about myself and have been trying, with some success, to stop this but it is just in some people's nature to cry. 

Right after a show, the biggest show in your life, the one you have been training for to win for years...well that may be difficult to hold back the tears until you got back to your room.  Second may be good enough for some (and I am sure she accepts it now) but if second place was good enough we wouldn't have the caliber of athletes we have.
Jennifer

Fit Gourmet

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2007, 02:26:09 PM »
If you are talking about Kim? She and her Husband are one of the reasons my wife Alexis went Pro. They sat us down one day and gave us some Great advice about Patience, Humbleness, and Composure!!!! She Deserves to cry a little bit. She has been there for everyone. I can't say enough good things about how much she has done for The I.F.B.B. and the N.P.C.!!!! I'm glad I didn't see her teary eyed, I might have started crying!!!!

Kim Klein

• Pros
  • Getbig I
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2007, 10:24:47 AM »
First of all, I want to apologize to anyone that I might have disappointed.  I always try to be respectful to everyone.  I was a little disappointed and I just needed some time to gather my htoughts.  I congraulated all the athletes and I would like to congratulate Adela again.  She is a great person and an amazing athlete.  I only want the BEST for EVERYONE!!!

KGM

• Getbig II
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2007, 10:52:50 AM »
And everyone wants the best for you Kim.  You obviously put your heart and soul into preparing for the Olympia.  It showed in your physique, it showed in your performance, and it showed in your emotions.  You have nothing to be apologetic for as few people realize how difficult it is to do what you ladies are doing so misinterpretations will sometimes happen.  You have always been kind and gracious when I met you and/or observed you with friends and fans.  Even watching you expedite shows like the USA it's easy to see how genuine and helpful you are to the athletes.  

You could have just as easily won the Olympia this year and I say that with no disrespect to Adela who is my friend.  You will one day be Ms Fitness Olympia.  But you are already a champion and have been for a while now.  You are one of the ones who represent the best an athlete has, one who does it with her heart.  I am quite proud to say that I have met you.  Please continue being such a great inspiration and treasure to behold.  

Kevin Myles
Bodysport

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2007, 12:17:47 PM »
Kim, don't even worry about it.  You are awesome!  Congrats on all of your accomplishments, and thanks for everything you do for competitors everywhere.

FitMandy

• Pros
  • Getbig I
  • Getbig!
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2007, 03:27:09 PM »
Congratulations to both Kim and Adela!!   These two have both been kind, considerate, and helpful to myself and all the other athletes for years. At every event, every single time, whether they were competing or not.  They are true ambassadors for the sport.   

cray2005

• Getbig II
  • FitGems Founder
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2007, 04:12:42 PM »
Amen to that. Kim will one day be Fitness Olympia champion. She's got the heart of one. Showing emotion to me is showing character. Kim had every right to fell disappointed; this is something you work for all year to get to, especially after winning the Fitness International title earlier this year.

Kim, if you're reading this, I want you to put this in stone right now: YOU WILL WIN THE FITNESS OLYMPIA TITLE SOON! It will be a crime for all of fitness if you didn't get that one reign as the champ.