Author Topic: Joe Rogan Advocates For More Weight Classes  (Read 811 times)

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
Joe Rogan Advocates For More Weight Classes
« on: October 08, 2007, 10:43:15 PM »
Check out the following post made by UFC Commentator Joe Rogan at the underground forum:

I think there’s a lot of guys that have to suck too much weight to make one class, but they’re not quite large enough for the next class up. As this sport continues it’s crazy rise in popularity, I keep thinking that there’s going to come a time where we’re going to have to add some weight classes. Maybe go once ever 10 pounds, change 70 to 75, add a 65 and a 95. I think if something like that would be implemented we would get even more exciting championship bouts because we can have guys going up or down to challenge the the dominant guy in the next class.

I think there’s a lot of guys that would prefer to fight closer to their natural weight, and there are some weight class gaps that are just too big in my opinion, especially the gap between 155 to 170 and 170 and 185. That just seems to be a really huge difference to me. A perfect example of the gigantic size difference would be Diego Sanchez and Trevor Prangley. Trevor is ing HUGE. That guy is a monster, the top end of what a 185 can be, where as Diego is one of the physically smaller guys competing at 170. If you looked at those two next to each other, it seems to me that there’s room for more categories. They seem more than one weight class apart.

Now, there’s the other argument; that adding more weight classes would weaken the championship’s significance because there would be more of them, and I can see that argument too. I think boxing might have a few too many classes, but they’ve got them every few pounds. I don’t think adding 2 or 3 more weight classes would hurt.