Author Topic: I need canine diabetes advice  (Read 1224 times)

militarymuscle69

• Getbig IV
  • You can't be a citizen unless you serve
I need canine diabetes advice
« on: October 19, 2007, 05:15:48 AM »
I have a 10 month old GSD that in the last week and a half has started losing control of her bladder. She will lay at my feet and when she stands up there is a small puddle left behind. She also has peed in the house a couple of times in the middle of the night (very unlike her) and has stopped "asking" to go as if she can't hold it long enough. I have talked to several people that say they had the same thing happen and it was diabetes. I have her scheduled for next week to be seen but in the mean time I have two questions:

1. Has anyone else had the same type of experience

2. What does diabetic treatment (ballpark) cost

I appreciate any help you can offer.
gotta love life

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
Re: I need canine diabetes advice
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2007, 11:59:30 AM »
It might be a bladder infection.   Very uncomfortable.  Get a pee sample and take it in ASAP.  The vet will know immediately if it is as there will be blood in the urine (the naked eye can't see that).  Treatment is quick and easy.

Catching a clean urine sample can be a challenge, but do the best you can otherwise the vet will need to stick a needle in the bladder and that can't possibly be pain free  :-\
:

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2007, 12:10:03 PM »

Nice Post Princess L!   That very well could be a bladder infection, that didn't cross my mind when I read that.

Here's hoping that that is what it is mm69.
  :-\

militarymuscle69

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2007, 01:25:00 PM »
Thanks ladies
gotta love life

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2007, 04:44:40 PM »
It might be a bladder infection.   Very uncomfortable.  Get a pee sample and take it in ASAP.  The vet will know immediately if it is as there will be blood in the urine (the naked eye can't see that).  Treatment is quick and easy.

Catching a clean urine sample can be a challenge, but do the best you can otherwise the vet will need to stick a needle in the bladder and that can't possibly be pain free  :-\

Exactly.  Diabetes is something that is low on the list for a 10 month old puppy--so low I wouldn't even consider it to be honest with you without other clinical signs. 

You need to take the dog to a vet and have them check the urine, because as Princess L said, a bladder infection is a very real possibility.   To do a urinealysis, you actually want the cleanest sample possible---meaning sticking a needle into the bladder is the desired way of obtaining a sample.  The reason is dogs lick themselves.  Its possible for them to have significant bacterial contamination from the mouth on a free catch urine sample.  This can skew culture results (if there is an infection and a culture is submitted) and can alter the cytology of the urine (which is used to determine if there is an infection).  A free catch sample is the 2nd alternative and if all else fails you can use urine off the floor, but its not ideal.  Not at all because of the degree of contamination.  One thing that will be in urine of a dog with a bladder infection is blood---which you shouldn't have on the floor normally and will be picked up on the urinalysis. 

The good news is doing a urinalysis will rule out something like diabetes too becuase part of the urine evaluation is to check for glucose in the urine, which a diabetic should have.  So, take your dog to the vet and get her checked out. 

If the urine is normal, it is possible that she's having some "puppy" issues.  I've seen a couple of higherstress high strung puppies (my pit included  >:()  Who seemed to have a period of slippage during that 10-12 month period of time where they regressed in house training.  Being patient and consistent with time outside/refreshing house training will solve the problem. 

militarymuscle69

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2007, 06:20:27 AM »
Thanks for the advice. I have her scheduled for an appt. I was considering the stress because my wife has move for a new job and I was wondering if the lack of attention comparred to before might be triggering something. The only thing that made me think that it wasn't stress was the "leaking". I'll let you know what I find out.
gotta love life