Author Topic: Christians - Do you believe you *become* a 'God' like the Mormons teach?  (Read 8976 times)

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
One key essential of Mormon doctrine is the idea that, after death, man can become God. 

I sat in on a Gospel Doctrine class yesterday and was again amazed by the arrogance it takes to even have it in one's mind that he can someday be God.  My wife said it was one of the best classes she'd ever attended, while the lesson made me sick to my stomach. 

I don't know how they reconcile that belief with the requirement for Humility, but I can't help but wonder why so few of the Mormons ever even question this doctrine of theirs. 

The teacher did admit that the larger Christian community does not understand or accept this teaching, but to be honest, I'd been involved with these guys for a couple of years before I found out anything about this stuff. 

If man can become God, as they allege, then all that does is provide more support for the 'man created God' argument.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
Re: Christians - Do you believe you *become* a 'God'?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2007, 07:33:07 AM »
No

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2007, 11:43:40 AM »
no
R

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2007, 11:59:41 AM »
Are there any Christians who believe that God used to be a human being?

Mormons teach that.

So, according to Mormons:

1) God used to be a man.

2) You, too, can become 'God' of your own planet.

3) God, Jesus, and the Holy Ghost are separate entities that operate independently of one another.

In spite of all the above, they hold fast to their claim that they are 'Christians' and that they are members of god's 'one true church'. 

I think many exemplify good Christian values (better than most Christians, in fact), but at their core, they're mistaken.

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2007, 12:07:20 PM »

I'm thinking you mean starting out as a human being?  No.

1) God used to be a man.

3) God, Jesus, and the Holy Ghost are separate entities that operate independently of one another.

In spite of all the above, they hold fast to their claim that they are 'Christians' and that they are members of god's 'one true church'. 

I think Mormons may consider themselves Christians because they believe the resurrection of Christ made it possible for ALL people to be resurrected and to go to heaven.  I don't think they believe in hell but certain levels of heaven...the top ones go to those that were good Mormons.

I think they also believe that Jesus and Satan were brothers and God actually had intercourse w/Mary.

I think many exemplify good Christian values (better than most Christians, in fact), but at their core, they're mistaken.
I agree.

R

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2007, 12:36:50 PM »
I think they also believe that Jesus and Satan were brothers...

Yep.

And not only were they brothers, but every person who has ever lived or will live is also a brother or sister to both Jesus and Lucifer.

ATHEIST

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2007, 01:48:54 PM »

Mormons teach that.

1) God used to be a man.

why would Christians agree with Mormon concepts and beliefs?? they are two totally different religions.

Mormons dont consider themselves CHristians, if you ask them they will all say they are Mormons, and that there is a difference. to Mormons, Christians arent going to heaven and vice versa.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2007, 04:46:55 PM »
Mormons dont consider themselves CHristians, if you ask them they will all say they are Mormons, and that there is a difference. to Mormons, Christians arent going to heaven and vice versa.

It was that way years ago.  Mormons didn't want to be called Christians, because too many Christians weren't 'living the gospel' as they saw it.

Now, though, their position has done a complete 180 and they consider themselves to be the *true* Christians. 

It's all about marketing and claiming Christianity has proven to be much better for their bottom line. 

ATHEIST

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2007, 05:09:39 PM »
It was that way years ago.  Mormons didn't want to be called Christians, because too many Christians weren't 'living the gospel' as they saw it.

Now, though, their position has done a complete 180 and they consider themselves to be the *true* Christians. 

It's all about marketing and claiming Christianity has proven to be much better for their bottom line. 

Mormons do believe that "Christians" arent living the gospel, yes. but go to Utah and ask them what religion they are and they will tell you they are Mormon. To them there is a huge difference and they wont hesitate to tell you that they are LDS as opposed to simply Christian. trust me i lived in Provo.

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
Re: Christians - Do you believe you *become* a 'God' like the Mormons teach?
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2007, 05:15:17 PM »
One key essential of Mormon doctrine is the idea that, after death, man can become God. 

I sat in on a Gospel Doctrine class yesterday and was again amazed by the arrogance it takes to even have it in one's mind that he can someday be God.  My wife said it was one of the best classes she'd ever attended, while the lesson made me sick to my stomach. 

I don't know how they reconcile that belief with the requirement for Humility, but I can't help but wonder why so few of the Mormons ever even question this doctrine of theirs. 

The teacher did admit that the larger Christian community does not understand or accept this teaching, but to be honest, I'd been involved with these guys for a couple of years before I found out anything about this stuff. 

If man can become God, as they allege, then all that does is provide more support for the 'man created God' argument.
Actually, I can't become 'God' because of my skin color.  I can only be a 'servant' in heaven.  Hey, I ain't mad.  At least I get to be in heaven.   :P ;)

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2007, 06:44:23 PM »
Actually, I can't become 'God' because of my skin color.  I can only be a 'servant' in heaven.  Hey, I ain't mad.  At least I get to be in heaven.   :P ;)
That whole deal isn't funny...but your post was ;D
R

genrommel74

• Getbig III
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2007, 06:27:39 AM »
I'm thinking you mean starting out as a human being?  No.

I think Mormons may consider themselves Christians because they believe the resurrection of Christ made it possible for ALL people to be resurrected and to go to heaven.  I don't think they believe in hell but certain levels of heaven...the top ones go to those that were good Mormons.

I think they also believe that Jesus and Satan were brothers and God actually had intercourse w/Mary.

I agree.

Sorry i have been gone for awhile, but if you want to know about the mormon church i can tell you anything you need to know. Seeing as how i am a mormon(and dont live in utah). Mormons are christians because we believe that Jesus Christ is our lord and savior. If there is another requirement i have never heard of one.

Mormons also believe that every won is a spirit son or daughter of god. that would make everybody children of god. Mormons also believe that anyone can get into the higher sections of heaven, not just mormons.

It actually makes me mad and i dont know where it can from, but mormons do not believe that god had sex with mary. All we know is what the bible says that she was filled with the spirit that is all we believe.

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2007, 10:59:31 AM »
Sorry i have been gone for awhile, but if you want to know about the mormon church i can tell you anything you need to know. Seeing as how i am a mormon(and dont live in utah).
Thanks genrommel and welcome back!

Mormons are christians because we believe that Jesus Christ is our lord and savior. If there is another requirement i have never heard of one.

genrommel, do you believe that Jesus Christ is God? 

Mormons also believe that anyone can get into the higher sections of heaven, not just mormons.

What does it take to get into higher sections of heaven?  Do you guys believe in hell?

It actually makes me mad and i dont know where it can from, but mormons do not believe that god had sex with mary. All we know is what the bible says that she was filled with the spirit that is all we believe.

Sorry about that.  I think the confusion comes from stuff people like Brigham Young etc. have said.   What do you think of these guys genrommel?  It looks like what they may contradict the Book of Mormon side to the story of the Virgin birth:

The Bible teaches that Jesus was born of the virgin Mary. This means that Mary had no sexual relations with any man prior to the birth of Jesus.
     Likewise, the Mormon church also maintains that Jesus was born of the Virgin Mary.  However, there is quite an interesting array of Mormon authorities who have said some very interesting things about the relationship between God and Mary in regards to Jesus’ birth. Let’s take a look at some of them and see what we find.
     Brigham Young, second prophet and president of the LDS church said,

"The birth of the Saviour was as natural as are the births of our children; it was the result of natural action. He partook of flesh and blood—was begotten of his Father, as we were of our fathers." (Journal of Discourses, v. 8, p. 115).

Brigham Young also said, "Now, remember from this time forth, and for ever, that Jesus Christ was not begotten by the Holy Ghost." (Journal of Discourses, Vol. 1, page 51).

Brigham Young said, "When the time came that His first-born, the Saviour, should come into the world and take a tabernacle, the Father came Himself and favoured that spirit with a tabernacle instead of letting any other man do it. The Saviour was begotten by the Father of His spirit, by the same Being who is the Father of our spirits." (Journal of Discourses, Vol. 4, page 218, 1857.)

Joseph Fielding Smith, stated:

"The birth of the Savior was a natural occurrence unattended with any degree of mysticism, and the Father God was the literal parent of Jesus in the flesh as well as in the spirit." (Religious Truths Defined, p. 44) as cited in the book, Mormonism: Shadow or Reality, by Gerald and Sandra Tanner, Utah Lighthouse Ministry, P.O. Box 1854, Sal Lake City, Utah 84110, Bookstore at 1350 South West Temple. 1982, page 260).

Joseph Fielding Smith said, "They tell us the Book of Mormon states that Jesus was begotten of the Holy Ghost. I challenge that statement. The Book of Mormon teaches no such thing! Neither does the Bible." (Doctrines of Salvation, Vol. 1, page 19)

Bruce McConkie, who was a member of the First Council of the Seventy stated,

"Christ was begotten by an Immortal Father in the same way that mortal men are begotten by mortal fathers," (Mormon Doctrine, 1966, page 547.)

"And Christ was born into the world as the literal Son of this Holy Being; he was born in the same personal, real, and literal sense that any mortal son is born to a mortal father. There is nothing figurative about his paternity; he was begotten, conceived and born in the normal and natural course of events,...Christ is the Son of Man, meaning that his Father (the Eternal God!) is a Holy Man." (Mormon Doctrine, by Bruce McConkie, page 742.)

Heber C. Kimball who was a member of the first presidency said,

"In relation to the way in which I look upon the works of God and his creatures, I will say that I was naturally begotten; so was my father, and also my saviour Jesus Christ. According to the Scriptures, he is the first begotten of his father in the flesh, and there was nothing unnatural about it." (Journal of Discourses, v. 8, p. 211)

"The man Joseph, the husband of Mary, did not, that we know of, have more than one wife, but Mary the wife of Joseph had another husband" (Deseret News, October 10, 1866) as cited in the book, Mormonism: Shadow or Reality, by Gerald and Sandra Tanner, Utah Lighthouse Ministry, P.O. Box 1854, Sal Lake City, Utah 84110, Bookstore at 1350 South West Temple. 1982, page 261.

What conclusions can we draw from the words of the leaders of the Mormon church regarding Jesus’ birth?

It was the result of natural action, (Brigham Young, Journal of Discourses, v. 8, p. 115).
Jesus was not begotten by the Holy Ghost." (Journal of Discourses, Vol. 1, page 51); (Doctrines of Salvation, Vol. 1, page 19).
"The Father came Himself and favoured that spirit with a tabernacle instead of letting any other man do it" (Journal of Discourses, Vol. 4, page 218, 1857.)
The birth was the result of natural action, (Journal of Discourses, Vol. 8, p. 115).
"The Father God was the literal parent of Jesus in the flesh as well as in the spirit." (Religious Truths Defined, p. 44)
"Christ was begotten by an Immortal Father in the same way that mortal men are begotten by mortal fathers," (Mormon Doctrine, 1966, page 547.)
"There is nothing figurative about his [Jesus’] paternity; he was begotten, conceived and born in the normal and natural course of events" (Mormon Doctrine, by Bruce McConkie, page 742.)

(from carm.org)
R

Alex23

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2007, 11:01:32 AM »
Does the chick I banged yesterday screaming "You're a God Alex" followed by "oh my Go" over and over counts?

I'm also a Christian.

ATHEIST

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2007, 02:50:35 PM »
Sorry i have been gone for awhile, but if you want to know about the mormon church i can tell you anything you need to know. Seeing as how i am a mormon(and dont live in utah). Mormons are christians because we believe that Jesus Christ is our lord and savior. If there is another requirement i have never heard of one.

Mormons also believe that every won is a spirit son or daughter of god. that would make everybody children of god. Mormons also believe that anyone can get into the higher sections of heaven, not just mormons.

The fact that you believe Joseph Smith is a prophet cancels your belief that you are a true Christian..no. isnt that right Stella?
and also the fact that the Bible states that nothing can be added to the Bible as it is written condems you to hell? dont know where it is in the Bible but when i took a class in Utah and mentioned the verse, people looked at me like i was purple.
  also not to be insulting, how does it feel to know that the "prophet" your religion was founded by was a pedophile? he did have sex with children and said it was an order from the lord.
 also the beliefs that man was to have more than one wife; and it would be following gods order to have sex with very young girls was written and practiced by the prophet Joseph Smith.  that was a part of the Mormon religion from the begining how can Mormons today say that it was wrong? they are making an exception to the original beliefs that were ordered by the very one who started the religion! if he was a prophet he would have realized it was wrong from the begining, and if Mormons were acountable they would realize also that the faults of Joseph Smith absolutely questions his credibility and the entire reilgion.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot

Alex23

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2007, 03:01:37 PM »

HAHAHAHAHAHAH great stuff as usual tu_ ;D

When the Mormons have their "go out and bother people" training day... They should have to watch this.

"Class, when this happens... do not continue to speak."
"Run or Ride off like a little bitch, because you are on your way to an apocalyptic meltdown"

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2007, 03:05:58 PM »
  The fact that you believe Joseph Smith is a prophet cancels your belief that you are a true Christian..no. isnt that right Stella?
Someone who is a true Christian is someone that believes they are a sinner, recognizes their need for a Savior and has accepted Jesus Christ of the Christian bible as such.  There are people that have bad theology that I believe are possibly truly saved, so I guess it's possible if someone has actually accepted Christ as savior and has a belief that Joseph Smith is a prophet, or that you should not eat meat on Fridays or whatever could truly be a Christian. 

The part about Mormons not believing that Christ is God (which maybe genrommel can help out on that) I think would be a problem in their believing in Christ as Savior.  It seems like you'd need to believe in the Christ of the bible to be a "Christian" and not the Christ of the Book of Mormon....again, maybe genrommel could help us understand this.

and also the fact that the Bible states that nothing can be added to the Bible as it is written condems you to hell? dont know where it is in the Bible but when i took a class in Utah and mentioned the verse, people looked at me like i was purple.

I'm pretty sure you're thinking of

Revelation 22:18,19
I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: If anyone adds anything to them, God will add to him the plagues described in this book. And if anyone takes words away from this book of prophecy, God will take away from him his share in the tree of life and in the holy city, which are described in this book.

also not to be insulting, how does it feel to know that the "prophet" your religion was founded by was a pedophile? he did have sex with children and said it was an order from the lord.
 also the beliefs that man was to have more than one wife; and it would be following gods order to have sex with very young girls was written and practiced by the prophet Joseph Smith.  that was a part of the Mormon religion from the begining how can Mormons today say that it was wrong? they are making an exception to the original beliefs that were ordered by the very one who started the religion! if he was a prophet he would have realized it was wrong from the begining, and if Mormons were acountable they would realize also that the faults of Joseph Smith absolutely questions his credibility and the entire reilgion.
OK, I'm not sure if I had heard about Joseph Smith being a pedophile.  Seems like people are saying that about prophets in other religions though so it sounds familiar.

Do you have any Book of Mormon verses or "Journal of Discourses" verses on this stuff?
R

Alex23

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2007, 03:15:10 PM »
Oh brother... any fucks read all these posts on a daily basis.. ???

Irony is we're trolling, they take it all seriously and spend hours studying posts and shit ::)

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2007, 03:24:23 PM »
Oh brother... any fucks read all these posts on a daily basis.. ???

Irony is we're trolling, they take it all seriously and spend hours studying posts and shit ::)

A lot of religious people out there... People take their religion VERY seriously it seems ::)

Alex23

« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2007, 03:30:15 PM »
A lot of religious people out there... People take their religion VERY seriously it seems ::)

As long you ain't a Muslim trying to "convert" "our women", I'm ok with it... ;D

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2007, 03:39:23 PM »
As long you ain't a Muslim trying to "convert" "our women", I'm ok with it... ;D

Yeah, no shit... Although, only the really really stupid women go along with that conversion plan... Because anyone with half a brain can see right through that bullshit.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2007, 04:36:24 PM »
Mormons are christians because we believe that Jesus Christ is our lord and savior. If there is another requirement i have never heard of one.

Most Mormons I know are kind, loving, and family-centered.  That's all well and good.

Some of the major problems with Mormonism are that you're indoctrinated to believe 1) that your 'prophets' are infallible and 2) that upon death, a dead human being can be perfected and become 'gods' of your own planets.

True 'Christians' are not arrogant.   

ATHEIST

• Getbig IV
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2007, 05:35:22 PM »
Someone who is a true Christian is someone that believes they are a sinner, recognizes their need for a Savior and has accepted Jesus Christ of the Christian bible as such.  There are people that have bad theology that I believe are possibly truly saved, so I guess it's possible if someone has actually accepted Christ as savior and has a belief that Joseph Smith is a prophet, or that you should not eat meat on Fridays or whatever could truly be a Christian. 

The part about Mormons not believing that Christ is God (which maybe genrommel can help out on that) I think would be a problem in their believing in Christ as Savior.  It seems like you'd need to believe in the Christ of the bible to be a "Christian" and not the Christ of the Book of Mormon....again, maybe genrommel could help us understand this.

I'm pretty sure you're thinking of

Revelation 22:18,19
I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: If anyone adds anything to them, God will add to him the plagues described in this book. And if anyone takes words away from this book of prophecy, God will take away from him his share in the tree of life and in the holy city, which are described in this book.

OK, I'm not sure if I had heard about Joseph Smith being a pedophile.  Seems like people are saying that about prophets in other religions though so it sounds familiar.

Do you have any Book of Mormon verses or "Journal of Discourses" verses on this stuff?

I disagree, a person can be saved through the belief in what is taught in the bible only, as the book itself says so. any of shoot of Christianity i.e Mormonism isnt the same. the fact that there are glaring differences between the two i think would help support my opinion. for example i can creat a religion that has Jesus Christ as the savior but include the easter bunny as a prophet and claim that going out during the day while the sun is up is a sin, that shouldnt be the same as true Christianity nor should it be good/close enough to get you to heaven

yes this is the one, "if anyone adds anything to them" the book of Mormon

he married and had children with a 14 year old

i do at home, im a work right now