Author Topic: Would you Adam and Eve it?  (Read 1069 times)

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
Would you Adam and Eve it?
« on: November 26, 2007, 06:03:18 PM »
No wonder Richard Dawkins' got his panties in a wad.    ;D

Friday, 1 April, 2005, 10:21 GMT 11:21 UK

"A teachers' union has said it is alarmed by an increase in lessons which teach that Adam and Eve was the literal truth, rather the fable which science believes it to be. The rise in creationism is not just an American phenomenon.

For many British people, belief in a six-day creation seems to be one of those incomprehensibly American quirks, like beef jerky and pledging allegiance to the flag. But a large and growing number of British Christians are defying Darwinist orthodoxy in favour of creationism - the belief that Adam and Eve are the mother and father of humanity.

They are less outspoken than in the US, where a new $25m museum of creationism is being built in Kentucky, but they quietly number hundreds of thousands, perhaps millions...

...There is a creationist museum in Portsmouth called Genesis Expo, run by the Creation Science Movement (CSM). Children can play with Boris the dinosaur and learn why evolution is scientifically impossible....

...One-third of those surveyed believe Adam and Eve were created within six days of the start of the universe. Of the other two-thirds, some would accept evolution while others see Adam and Eve being created after six "ages" of creation, rather than six literal days."

MORE...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/4398345.stm

rockyfortune

• Getbig IV
  • "look, it's the drunk piano player."
Re: Would you Adam and Eve it?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2007, 10:02:31 AM »
i like how they rip pledging to a flag---a symbol of our country---when they still have some figurehead old bag queen prancing up and down a palace...
footloose and fancy free

Saxon

• Getbig IV
  • Heavy Metal Thunder
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2007, 05:58:36 AM »
Why would Richard Dawkins have his panties in a wad?  The people surveyed were member's of the Evangelical Alliance, a Christian organisation.  Do a survey of the whole of the UK population and see what results you get?  Given that only about 10 percent of the population regularly attended worship services, you aren't going to find many "creationists" especially when compared to a country like the USA.

Wouldn't it be more worrying for a biblical fundamentalist to see that only 33 percent of Christians took the bible literally? 

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2007, 06:08:52 AM »
Why would Richard Dawkins have his panties in a wad?  The people surveyed were member's of the Evangelical Alliance, a Christian organisation.  Do a survey of the whole of the UK population and see what results you get?  Given that only about 10 percent of the population regularly attended worship services, you aren't going to find many "creationists" especially when compared to a country like the USA.

Hey Saxon!  Yes, I know about how secular the UK population is.  That's why I'm surprised, and many people in the UK are surprised too or alarmed, that "an increase in lessons which teach that Adam and Eve was the literal truth" and that "a large and growing number of British Christians are defying Darwinist orthodoxy in favour of creationism" and that "they quietly number hundreds of thousands, perhaps millions..."

That's all.    ;D

Wouldn't it be more worrying for a biblical fundamentalist to see that only 33 percent of Christians took the bible literally? 

No, not really.

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2007, 10:09:09 AM »

I'm actually surprised it's that high considering I was given the statistic that only 2% of people that call themselves Christians engage in evangelism of any kind.  Not sure what the margin of error would be in either of those stats though.  Re: the stat of Christians taking the bible literally, Saxon do you have that study by chance?  I'm just wondering if that was the question; "Do you take the bible literally?"  Seems a lot of people who may feel the same could answer it differently.  For instance, I take it pretty literally but it does use some symbolic language at times for instance:  "the little horn" is actually referring to the antichrist etc.
R