Author Topic: Why Heisman Voters Have Zero Credibility  (Read 15880 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Why Heisman Voters Have Zero Credibility
« on: December 02, 2007, 11:18:15 AM »
Kevin Smith of Central Florida has 2448 yards rushing, 29 TDs, 230 yards receiving, and 1 TD.  He has ZERO fumbles this year (according to ESPN).

Colt Brennan is 337 for 472 for 4174 yards, 71.4 percent, 38 TDs, 14 INTs, 8 rushing TDs, 166 efficiency rating.  That's in about 9 games.  Graham Harrell leads the nation with 45 TD passes on 644 attempts (that's 172 MORE than Colt). 

It is likely that neither Smith nor Colt will even be invited to New York, much less win.  I wonder how some of those voters sleep at night.

Oh . . . and schedule . . . blah blah blah.   

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
  • I'm too sexy for my shirt!!!
Re: Why Heisman Voters Have Zero Credibility
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2007, 11:26:26 AM »
OK, "Beach Bum"  ::)  ::)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2007, 11:29:48 AM »
OK, "Beach Bum"  ::)  ::)

::)

And while I'm at it, there is no way on God's green earth that Troy Smith was the best player in the country, the best QB in the country, or even better than Colt Brennan last year. 

Maybe I'll turn this into a Heisman rant.   :)  Next up . . . how Heisman voters received a black eye by giving the award to Gino Torretta over Marshall Faulk. . . .

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
  • I'm too sexy for my shirt!!!
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2007, 11:37:26 AM »
Troy Smith owns all you haters' minds!

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2007, 11:45:14 AM »
I'd say he was pretty much exposed in the "National Championship" game:  4 for 14 for 35 yards, 0 TDs, 1 INT, and 5 sacks. 

But what the hey.  He was able to use his Heisman hype to help get drafted at the end of the 5th round and will be holding a clip board for the rest of his career in the NFL, however short-lived.   :)

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2007, 11:49:54 AM »
I was never impressed with him and frankly, that game was boring to watch.  The best bowl game last year was the Fiesta Bowl with BSU.

I guess 3rd string for Smith isn't bad.   ;D
Squishy face retard

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2007, 12:05:30 PM »
Then there was Troy Davis of Iowa State years back.  Had back-to-back 2000 yard seasons and never really got close to winning.  I think he was the first RB in the NCCA to rush for 2000 yards and NOT win the Heisman?

CARTEL

• Getbig V
  • Have a good time, all the time.
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2007, 12:54:02 PM »
Sorry Beach Bum but schedule has a lot to do with it.

HI barely got by Washington for heavens sakes.

body88

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2007, 01:13:25 PM »
Kevin Smith of Central Florida has 2448 yards rushing, 29 TDs, 230 yards receiving, and 1 TD.  He has ZERO fumbles this year (according to ESPN).

Colt Brennan is 337 for 472 for 4174 yards, 71.4 percent, 38 TDs, 14 INTs, 8 rushing TDs, 166 efficiency rating.  That's in about 9 games.  Graham Harrell leads the nation with 45 TD passes on 644 attempts (that's 172 MORE than Colt). 

It is likely that neither Smith nor Colt will even be invited to New York, much less win.  I wonder how some of those voters sleep at night.

Oh . . . and schedule . . . blah blah blah.   

Beach all you guys listed are great players. But schedule and opposition have to be taken into account. A lot of the teams these guys face are not even close to as good as the top college talent in conferences like the sec, acc and big ten.

I mean not even in the same stratosphere. Colt is a great player , but I am certain if they played a team like LSU they would lose by about 45 points.

CARTEL

• Getbig V
  • Have a good time, all the time.
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2007, 01:14:48 PM »
Beach all you guys listed are great players. But schedule and opposition have to be taken into account. A lot of the teams these guys face are not even close to as good as the top college talent in conferences like the sec, acc and big ten.

Agreed.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2007, 01:14:55 PM »
Sorry Beach Bum but schedule has a lot to do with it.

HI barely got by Washington for heavens sakes.

Cartel here are Colt's numbers from last night:  42-50, 442 yards, 5 TDs, 0 INTs, game-winning TD with about 40 seconds left in the game.

I don't buy that schedule nonsense.  These are division I players.  Voters cannot simply ignore a guy like Kevin Smith who has put up Barry Sanders-like numbers.  Smith isn't even a Doalk Walker award finalist for goodness sake.  

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2007, 01:21:06 PM »

You mean like Kansas playing the following:

Central Michigan
SE Louisiana
Toledo
Florida International
Baylor
Iowa State

and Ohio State playing:

Youngstown State
Akron
Kent State

I think the schedule argument is a croc.  If you have a guy like Smith putting up numbers like no other player in the history of college football except Barry Sanders, you can't simply ignore the kid.  I bet voters haven't even watched the kid play. 

Same with Colt.  I challenge anyone to watch the kid play and tell me he is not an outstanding football player. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2007, 01:24:35 PM »

I mean not even in the same stratosphere. Colt is a great player , but I am certain if they played a team like LSU they would lose by about 45 points.

Whatever dude.  They said the same thing about Boise and Oklahoma last year and we all know how that turned out.  I heard Kiper discount that win by saying Oklahoma didn't want to be there.   ::) 

And speaking of last year, UH almost beat Alabama in Tuscaloosa, beat Purdue, almost beat Oregon State, and beat Arizona State, all "BCS" schools. 

But I guess we shall see on New Year’s day.   :)

body88

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2007, 01:34:31 PM »
You mean like Kansas playing the following:

Central Michigan
SE Louisiana
Toledo
Florida International
Baylor
Iowa State

and Ohio State playing:

Youngstown State
Akron
Kent State

I think the schedule argument is a croc.  If you have a guy like Smith putting up numbers like no other player in the history of college football except Barry Sanders, you can't simply ignore the kid.  I bet voters haven't even watched the kid play. 

Same with Colt.  I challenge anyone to watch the kid play and tell me he is not an outstanding football player. 

He is outstanding. The problem is others are outstanding vs the best the country has to offer. Colt is a great player , no doubt about it.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2007, 01:48:29 PM »
He is outstanding. The problem is others are outstanding vs the best the country has to offer. Colt is a great player , no doubt about it.

Others like who?  There isn't a player in the country who played better than Kevin Smith.  Same with Colt, particularly when you look at the fact he has only played in about 9 games this year.   

And which part of the Heisman criteria says strength of schedule is a factor?  The award is supposed to go to the best player in the country.  I'm not sure how old you are, but do you remember Gino Torretta (Miami) vs. Marshall Faulk (San Diego State)?  That's when my Heisman rant started.  Same argument made back then:  Torretta played in a tougher conference, only lost 1 game in his career, Faulk played in the WAC, etc.  Didn't make sense then and doesn't make sense today.   

Also, these kids are playing against NFL caliber players.  For example, the WAC had 17 players drafted last year, not counting FA signees.  UH put 11 players in NFL camps last year. 

I just pointed out two schools (Kansas and Ohio State) who played some pretty soft games.  If I had the desire (which I don’t) I could probably pull about 10 other “BCS” schools with the same kinds of games on their schedule.  I think the schedule argument is a copout people use when they don’t want to confront statistics and game film. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2007, 02:08:33 PM »
Also, if these "BCS" schools have such vastly superior teams, why did:

- Michigan State pay $250,000 to Hawaii to avoid playing them this year at Michigan State (we beat them in Hawaii three years ago)?

- Michigan turn down an offer to play Hawaii at Michigan and opt instead for Appalachian State?

- Somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 "BCS" schools turn down between $700,000 and $1 million and an ESPN game to play at UH in 2007? 

What are they afraid of? 

danielson

• Getbig V
  • Basile likes young lads
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2007, 02:33:29 PM »

- Michigan turn down an offer to play Hawaii at Michigan and opt instead for Appalachian State?

In hindsight, that wasn't a good choice.
E

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2007, 02:50:49 PM »
::)

And while I'm at it, there is no way on God's green earth that Troy Smith was the best player in the country, the best QB in the country, or even better than Colt Brennan last year. 

Smith wasn't even the best player on his team.

Cap

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2007, 02:52:41 PM »
Whatever dude.  They said the same thing about Boise and Oklahoma last year and we all know how that turned out.  I heard Kiper discount that win by saying Oklahoma didn't want to be there.   ::) 

And speaking of last year, UH almost beat Alabama in Tuscaloosa, beat Purdue, almost beat Oregon State, and beat Arizona State, all "BCS" schools. 

But I guess we shall see on New Year’s day.   :)

A 7-5 ASU should not be factored in to this equation.
Squishy face retard

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2007, 02:56:21 PM »

In hindsight, that wasn't a good choice.

Six and a half/half dozen.  We would have beaten them too, but it wouldn't have been as much of a black eye.  :)

Continuing the Heisman rant, RB Matt Forte of Tulane has 2127 yards rushing and 23 TDs and 282 yards receiving.  In other words, he has done what only a handful of RBs in the history of college football have done (run for over 2000 yards in a season).  Not only is he not a Heisman contender, but he isn't a Doalk Walker finalist.  But Mike Hart of Michigan is, after finishing as the 24th best RB in the country.  ::)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2007, 02:57:02 PM »
Smith wasn't even the best player on his team.

Correct.  Ted Ginn helped him a great deal. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2007, 03:01:07 PM »
A 7-5 ASU should not be factored in to this equation.

I see.  So we only factor in the "good" BCS schools?  They had the 26th best defense in the country when we ran them up and down the field. 

Do we factor in Purdue, who I believe was the third or fourth best team in the Big 10 when we played them? 

Cap

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2007, 03:09:12 PM »
I see.  So we only factor in the "good" BCS schools?  They had the 26th best defense in the country when we ran them up and down the field. 

Do we factor in Purdue, who I believe was the third or fourth best team in the Big 10 when we played them? 
No, I'm just saying that was a shit year for that team and their defense was clearly off until this year.  I'm no Hawaii fans but it's like Rutgers making the same argument against ASU when Rutgers narrowly lost in the Insight Bowl.
Squishy face retard

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2007, 03:17:49 PM »
No, I'm just saying that was a shit year for that team and their defense was clearly off until this year.  I'm no Hawaii fans but it's like Rutgers making the same argument against ASU when Rutgers narrowly lost in the Insight Bowl.

That's not entirely accurate.  I'm pretty sure they had the 26th ranked D in the country last year when we played them.  We scored 41 points and had 680 yards. 

Against Purdue, we scored 42 points and had 653 yards.   

Cap

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2007, 03:49:25 PM »
That's not entirely accurate.  I'm pretty sure they had the 26th ranked D in the country last year when we played them.  We scored 41 points and had 680 yards. 

Against Purdue, we scored 42 points and had 653 yards.   
I have no knowledge about Purdue so I can't address that but seeing enough of the Pac-10 I know that their defense progressed slightly last year but it is night and day compared to this year.  I'm not bashing Hawaii I just have opinions about certain teams, especially Oregon.  They beat teams but I felt that they were a Dixon-team and teams had to eliminate him from the equation to do anything and that their wins were more a part of bad defenses than their greatness.
Squishy face retard