Author Topic: Thanks but No Thanks  (Read 1105 times)

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
Thanks but No Thanks
« on: December 16, 2007, 11:23:48 AM »
You have a friend who provides some sort of service for a living, but you would rather not use that service... hairstylist, but you don't like the cut, lawn care service, but you still have weeds, housecleaning service but you don't want them that close to your stuff, real estate agent and you're buying or selling your house, mortgage broker but you want your finances private, etc., how do you not use their service without hard feelings  ???
:

freespirit

• Getbig V
  • Revolt!
Re: Thanks but No Thanks
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2007, 11:26:10 AM »
Don't talk about it.

Deedee

• Getbig V
  • They sicken of the calm, who knew the storm.
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2007, 12:52:53 PM »
Or like people who have a cottage industry making (awful) homemade chutneys and sugar laden jams they try to foist off on everyone?  :-X

I don't think it's possible to escape without the bad feelings... unless the service giver knows his/her efforts are substandard and take it in stride. It's better to just avoid hiring them or buying their products in the first place, I guess.

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
  • thank you Ron & Getbig, I've had so much fun
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2007, 01:49:31 PM »
No, you're right, it's "Thanks but No Thanks" and smile politely...

'specially if they're offering their services, which it is what is sounds like.  Although that's what friends are for?

I cut my own hair and mow my own lawn.  If you really are selling your house, you could move to a larger town where everyone doesn't know your every move?

Be ever so careful though, to not say: "I can't afford it this month", which would ordinarily be a great excuse.  They might offer to cut your hair for free.  Don't go there, it's a seriously difficult situation. 

I'd suggest that if your friend is a hairdresser, you make sure he or she knows that you're happy with your current stylist.  If he or she provides a housecleaning service, that's even worse, there's no way you want a "friend" to do that for you.

But think about it the other way:  I have friends and neighbours who work as builders/decorators and chefs and fashion designers and I wish I could afford to pay for their services.  Instead I just feel fortunate to know them.. 

Luckily everyone in my life is brilliant at their job, that's one of the reasons why they are, and remain, my friends.

xL

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2007, 11:42:55 PM »
Princess L, just let them know you don't like mixing friendship with business.

Explain to them that you value their friendship too much to ever risk it over a business transaction gone awry
w

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2007, 04:54:31 AM »
Princess L, just let them know you don't like mixing friendship with business.

Explain to them that you value their friendship too much to ever risk it over a business transaction gone awry

That's the way I would handle it. 
:)

gtbro1

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2007, 05:03:15 AM »
  Just say  "I don't trust you as far as I can throw you....Bless your heart"  you can say whatever you want as long as you say bless your heart..or "No Offense"  .that makes it ok.

for example . " Cindy looks like she fell out of the ugly tree and hit her face on every branch on the way down!...bless her heart."

mbell

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2007, 02:40:31 PM »
Honesty is the best policy! Just tell them they suck!   :o

Just teasing  ;)
M

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2007, 03:33:01 PM »
You have a friend who provides some sort of service for a living, but you would rather not use that service... hairstylist, but you don't like the cut, lawn care service, but you still have weeds, housecleaning service but you don't want them that close to your stuff, real estate agent and you're buying or selling your house, mortgage broker but you want your finances private, etc., how do you not use their service without hard feelings  ???

You use their service once, take a year to pay, and they dump you as a client

:)