Author Topic: Youth & Nutrition  (Read 4858 times)

Lorie Kimes

• Pros
  • Getbig II
Youth & Nutrition
« on: December 20, 2007, 03:55:40 PM »
Hello everyone!

I have a question???

I have 2 nephews 10 & 11 They have started wrestling and my sister asked me what they should eat in between matches. Sometimes they will have 7 differant matches in a day.
She told me she saw one mom give her child 2 red bulls and had him bang his head against the wall to phych him up for his next match. Too extream & stupid!!!! ???
I told her to keep them hydrated and give them small healthy snacks in between matches.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks!  :-*

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
Re: Youth & Nutrition
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2007, 04:09:23 PM »
I used to swim when I was younger & we'd be stuck at meets & such all day. We used to eat/drink things like jerky, juice, fruit, nuts, & baby food (yes baby food) throughout the day.

busyB

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Have a Nice Day!
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2007, 05:00:00 PM »
I agree with Rim, snack thru the day. Not enough to really get full but small snacks like nuts, fruit, etc. Little Gatorade to wash it down and they will be good.

Even Tiger Milk bars are a great snack and will give them better energy than junk food or regular candy bars.

Emmortal

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2007, 05:27:56 PM »
Fruits and veggie snacks + some chicken/fish/beef (small portions) coupled with some gatorade/V8 juice will set them straight.

I used to have 2-3 games of soccer a day during tournaments and I'd suck down at least 1 large v8 + some broiled chicken between each match.

Lorie Kimes

• Pros
  • Getbig II
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2007, 05:56:33 PM »
Thank you!
This helps!!!! ;D
I will pass it along to my sis.

Thanks again  :-*

Lorie

ngm21084

• Getbig IV
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2007, 11:54:14 AM »
honestly they are kids let them live no 10 year old kid is gonna want to eat beef or fish in between when they could be doing somehting else...keep them hydrated with gatorade not soda and if they are hungry try some granola bars you can get the good ones with nuts fruits and M&M and all sorts of good stuff...try that...

jmt1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2007, 01:16:56 PM »
Hello everyone!

I have a question???

I have 2 nephews 10 & 11 They have started wrestling and my sister asked me what they should eat in between matches. Sometimes they will have 7 differant matches in a day.
She told me she saw one mom give her child 2 red bulls and had him bang his head against the wall to phych him up for his next match. Too extream & stupid!!!! ???
I told her to keep them hydrated and give them small healthy snacks in between matches.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks!  :-*

if they are going to be there all day it would be a good idea for them to bring along a few high gi snacks and even sip on a glucose drink between matches.

also take a look at what they are eating the day before the matches. they should be eating some slower burning carb sources that will help provide more sustained energy levels the day of.  they should also avoid eating anything to heavy or salty. be sure they drink plenty of water so dehydration isnt a problem.

Emmortal

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2007, 01:15:44 PM »
I've tried several of the N.O products (not to hijack the thread) and I become resistent to them very quickly, usually within a week they become completely ineffective even at high doses.

But there are people that swear by them, to each his own I guess.

candidizzle

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= TRB953
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2007, 01:21:20 PM »
honey and protein shakes and almonds...

or just combine all three in a blender and drink that in between matches.

Lorie Kimes

• Pros
  • Getbig II
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2008, 03:29:27 PM »
Thank you all for all of your comments & advice!  ;)

I now have another question?!?!?

My nephew has to make weight????
He is only 2lbs over and is in great shape.

What is a safe way of doing this?

Any advice????

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2008, 09:29:29 PM »
Thank you all for all of your comments & advice!  ;)

I now have another question?!?!?

My nephew has to make weight????
He is only 2lbs over and is in great shape.

What is a safe way of doing this?

Any advice????

the only way is to drop the water...

cut out al carbs. no starches, no fruits, no grains, no veggies, no nuts, no beans, no dairy, no cheese, no eggs, not even artificial sweeteners(contain 1/4 gram carb)....keep the protein very high and moderate fats. he wont lose muscle and hell drop at least 5 pounds water weight.

also..try to get the salt/sodium intake at ABOLSUTE zero along with the absolute zero carbs.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2008, 09:59:27 PM »
i used to compete in a martial art similar to wrestling and had to cut weight alot as well, imho i wouldnt cut the carbs out unless they weigh in the night before. There gonna need those for their matchs, 2lbs isnt much he should be able to lose that by sweating it out in an hour or so although i dont really recommend sweating b/c it leaves you drained for some time after. Fruit is good for between matches with a little bit of protein as well Id be careful about the gatorade as well, I used to feel bloated if i drank to much and thats the last thing you want while their out there wrestleing.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2008, 10:12:41 PM »
There were a few tricks i used to use to help cut weight last minute but the best idea is to come in under so you dont have to stress but you never can tell. Ive dropped about 12 lbs in a day using some of these but you certainly dont feel as good as you did before cutting the weight
1. the most obvious is if its possible get him to weigh in naked, alot of guys weigh in with shorts and shirts on which can add a lb or two
2. big hoodie and pants and have him do some light calisthenics for a about 20 mins of so, you could also use a sweat suit which makes it alot easier and if its possible stick the kid in a sauna
3. I know this may sound weird but i promise its good for a lb or two, give the kid some sugarless gum and a cup and have him spit all he can into the cup.
4. this again may sound pretty bad but laxatives, most associations have rules against these but theres a brand out there called docalax (im pretty sure thats not spelled right) and its accepted by most but you might wanna check first.
5. Again I know this sounds weird but I swear it worked I was in a hotel for a competition with a few other competitors and our coach and a few of us had to drop a few more lbs before morning and the coach after we went to sleep turned down the temp. in the room and we shivered all night but I dropped 2 lbs.

Cutting weight sucks hope they do good

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2008, 10:20:28 PM »
if they are going to be there all day it would be a good idea for them to bring along a few high gi snacks and even sip on a glucose drink between matches.

also take a look at what they are eating the day before the matches. they should be eating some slower burning carb sources that will help provide more sustained energy levels the day of.  they should also avoid eating anything to heavy or salty. be sure they drink plenty of water so dehydration isnt a problem.

very good point nobody ever thinks about nutrition the night before but its very important, greasy heavy foods are a big no no, look up like cyclers food like lance armstrong and you'll get a good idea of what they should eat the night before

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2008, 11:31:17 PM »
yes hell definitely need glycogen when he is wrestling. but yyou can replenish glycogen within one hour after weigh ins... just bring some dextrose powder lke some gatorade and drink that...should be no problem getting down a couple hundred calories of carbs in one dink..a few drinks and youll be topped off and ready for intense physical exersion

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2008, 10:07:14 AM »
yes hell definitely need glycogen when he is wrestling. but yyou can replenish glycogen within one hour after weigh ins... just bring some dextrose powder lke some gatorade and drink that...should be no problem getting down a couple hundred calories of carbs in one dink..a few drinks and youll be topped off and ready for intense physical exersion
i still wouldnt do it, just my opinion but ive been in his situation and you still dont feel the same...maybe its just me like i said the best idea is to come in under weight but 2 lbs isnt bad anyways he could sweat that off in less than an hour

rockyfortune

• Getbig IV
  • "look, it's the drunk piano player."
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2008, 10:09:19 AM »
clif bars are good...
footloose and fancy free

G.R.H.

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2008, 03:17:12 PM »