Author Topic: Working out with Kidney Disease  (Read 1359 times)

lauderdale

• Getbig II
Working out with Kidney Disease
« on: December 28, 2007, 12:06:00 PM »
I have a question.  About 6 months ago I was diagnosed with renal failure.  Doctors won't let me lift weights.  Only cardio.  But cardio is hard for me right now because the joints in my feet hurt from the disease.  I'm feeling disproportionate in terms of losing all muscle mass in the past 6 months from laying in hospital beds.  And I feel like my legs are skinnier than my torso and it's quite bothersome.  Any work out tips that is easy on the joints and will tone my stomach without hurting the dialysis implant that is in my peritoneal?

Thanks
 :D

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
Re: Working out with Kidney Disease
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007, 01:03:53 PM »
Dude,I`d listen to the doctors.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2007, 01:15:20 PM »
listen to the docs and focus on getting healthy. i know it must be hard to lose size and not train, but there are more important things.

lauderdale

• Getbig II
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2007, 03:45:39 PM »
I guess i'll just stick with cardio.  I was just hoping that someone knew somthing that I didn't and could help.  btw-i'm a girl.

JackCheze

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2007, 12:14:02 AM »
I'd stick with the Doc's advice and have him/her suggest a dietitian who is familiar with your condition.

Purple Aki

• Getbig IV
  • penisory contact with her volvo.
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2007, 09:53:15 AM »
I'm pretty sure that Goudy (one of the mods on the natural board) has some kind of kidney disorder. May be worth sending him a PM.

lauderdale

• Getbig II
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2007, 08:48:16 AM »
Thanks Purple...

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2008, 11:00:53 AM »
Hmm. Kidney disease, only cardio and increasingly skinnier legs, eh? That is a hard nut you've got there. I guess the only solace for you I can think of is do stuff like stair-stepper cardio, really accentuating the step extremes. This is a good cardio exercise and it not very ballistic. I know some girls in my gym and that is all they do, and their legs and *ahem* ass are well toned and have good size. May not be the panacea/solution you're looking for, but it may arrest further wasting, may even build them up a bit. Best of luck and heed your dr's orders.     

/look for the stepper that has the steps that go up and over like an escalator. 

lauderdale

• Getbig II
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2008, 07:45:25 AM »
Thanks for the advise.  I'm going to try that tonight.  Everything is so confusing.  Doctors tell you...stay fit.  Be active.  The more active, the better.  But then they tell you not to do anything.  Almost a damned if you do, damned if you don't.  I think the reason why my legs are getting really skinny is because the dialysis machine removes any water weight.  Plus being in bed and not being able to walk for a couple months ate up my calf muscles.  So I hope this works.  Thanks!

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2008, 12:39:07 PM »
Thanks for the advise.  I'm going to try that tonight.  Everything is so confusing.  Doctors tell you...stay fit.  Be active.  The more active, the better.  But then they tell you not to do anything.  Almost a damned if you do, damned if you don't.  I think the reason why my legs are getting really skinny is because the dialysis machine removes any water weight.  Plus being in bed and not being able to walk for a couple months ate up my calf muscles.  So I hope this works.  Thanks!

Listen to you doc.
..and good luck with everything :)

cht868

• Getbig III
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2008, 06:44:17 PM »
yeah i'd listen to the dr, or u could just do what flex wheeler did and just juice to the gills until u find a new one

PANDAEMONIUM

• Getbig V
  • Scourge of the Northern Gods
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2008, 08:00:35 PM »
I have a question.  About 6 months ago I was diagnosed with renal failure.  Doctors won't let me lift weights.  Only cardio.  But cardio is hard for me right now because the joints in my feet hurt from the disease.  I'm feeling disproportionate in terms of losing all muscle mass in the past 6 months from laying in hospital beds.  And I feel like my legs are skinnier than my torso and it's quite bothersome.  Any work out tips that is easy on the joints and will tone my stomach without hurting the dialysis implant that is in my peritoneal?

Thanks
 :D

If you're not some troll, I'm really sorry to hear about your problem.  How old are you and how did you get kidney failure to begin with?

lauderdale

• Getbig II
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2008, 05:22:52 AM »
No.  I don't think i'm some troll!!! 

I am now 29 years old.  I was really sick back in July (28 then) and I went to the clinic by my house and they took my blood pressure and told me I needed to go straight to the E.R.  I found out that night that I had 3 percent kidney function.  I never in a million years would have guessed that's what was wrong with me.  I was in the hospital for a month.  They tested me for everything and nothing is wrong with me that caused the kidney failure.  They just finally said that I was born with bad kidneys.  I was on hemo dialysis, and three times a week I went to a center that cleaned my blood.  But it was too depressing there.  Everyone there was 80 and older.  So I opted for stomach surgery and had a tube implanted near my belly button and now I do my own dialysis at home at night while I sleep.  It's funny how in 6 months you go from feeling like a normal 28 year old to a 70 year old. The things you take for granted! But i'm finally on the transplant list and my brother is going to get tested to be a donor also.  I just didn't want to let this disease get me.  I want to be in control of it and resume normal life. I used to swim everyday but now I can't swim anymore.  I'm not allowed in still water.  That was pretty much the workout that I did.  Laps.  But so far the advise of some people has been working.  The stair climbing is horrible!  But it's working so far...

:P

Emmortal

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2008, 10:03:37 AM »
The most important thing is to follow the doctors advice, take it easy for now until you can hopefully get a transplant.