Author Topic: Homemade Rolling Thunder  (Read 4521 times)

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
Homemade Rolling Thunder
« on: January 05, 2008, 09:28:36 PM »
I finally made my Rolling Thunder! Cost me about $12 to make (got the roller and steel stock from work). Here it is:

I used it and it is much harder than expected. This is possibly due to the high quality, heavy duty roller or the fact that my pinch grip is crap? The roller is made for 700+lbs and there is NO friction to help hold this thing. I put 90lbs on it and picked it up no problem. So I threw another 90lbs on it and barely got it off the floor before it ripped from my hand! The whole assembly weighs about 6-7 lbs. I bought a 12" long-1 1/2" threaded steel pipe, 1 1/2" floor flange, 1 1/2" eye bolt, and a 350lb carabiner. Then cut and welded the 1/2" round stock to the roller and assembled. The roller itself is 1 1/4" diameter, I believe.

Awesome grip tool! Cant wait to practice more with it.

Ruggiera

• Getbig I
Re: Homemade Rolling Thunder
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 09:36:36 PM »
Nice job!

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008, 07:59:40 AM »
looks good but the handle doesn't look anywhere near as thick as the original RT handle which is part of the whole purpose of using it.

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 08:40:28 AM »
looks good but the handle doesn't look anywhere near as thick as the original RT handle which is part of the whole purpose of using it.

The original is almost an inch thicker, yes. I wish I could let you try this thing though, its tough! I can handle 310lb Farmers but this with 180~ is ridiculous. Heres the thing I have noticed about thicker handles, they allow a different type of grip to be used. When you roll your wrist under and flex your forearm the thicker handle feels easier (to me). My farmers, for instance, are 1" handles and they really kick my ass because of the small surface area to grip. At home I dont go past 275/hand because I cant get too far with it, though in a comp I was in I used 265 with 2 1/4" handles and walked all over with them, no problem.

I know the roller is different from farmers grip but I believe with more surface area to grip I would do better. I cannot reach around this to tuck my thumb like on an Oly bar either. Perhaps mine is easier? Maybe not? But I will guarantee my grip goes up due to its use! I will definately bring it to my next strongman comp and see how people do with it.

Thanks guys!

brent2741

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2008, 10:13:28 PM »
very creative

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2008, 02:21:26 PM »
Nice job Lift4size but the handle is way too thin. Still impressive nonethless.

John O

• Getbig III
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2008, 05:15:56 PM »
What is it used for??
Masters- 50-54
148#

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2008, 05:26:08 PM »
very creative

Thanks!

Nice job Lift4size but the handle is way too thin. Still impressive nonethless.

Yeah, Im aware, but it works great! Its not an official RT lift but it gets the job done.

What is it used for??

It is for grip strength. The reason it is great for grip is that it has a fat handle that is on high speed bearings so it will roll straight out of your grip if not squeezed hard enough. VERY hard to do holds with!