Author Topic: Magoo: The Quest for a 405 bench  (Read 108747 times)

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
Re: Magoo attempts to get strong.
« Reply #125 on: March 17, 2008, 09:59:01 PM »
Tried the one arm DL's last week instead of oblique bends. Best I got was a few with 235 and then it ripped out of my hand(s). If the bar rotates Im SOL. Though I can move with 310/hand farmers, go figure?!

well that's probably because the farmer thing can't "roll" out of your hand. it's a handle, but all it can do is slide downward, as opposed to a free bar which can start turning. same reason why it's easier to deadlift with a mixed grip as opposed to alternating. same downward force, but one can rotate and the other can't.

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #126 on: March 18, 2008, 02:03:29 PM »
tried a lift today. didn't go as well as i'd hoped.

TUESDAY - bench

flat bench: paused reps
135x6
225x5
275x3
295x3
315x3
365x0 - just for a negative. a real, real slow negative.
225x18 - no pause

db bench:
100x6
110x6
120x6 - not bad.

standing military:
135x6
136x6
135x7

pullups: dead hang on each rep, chin OVER the bar.
5x8 - that's right, five sets of eight dead-hang. not bad.

various db raises

dips:

various hammer curls for a few sets.

weight: 229

the 315x3 was pretty easy, actually. but i was really surprised by the pullups. looks like i'm starting to get the hang of those bastards.

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
« Reply #127 on: March 18, 2008, 04:45:03 PM »
well that's probably because the farmer thing can't "roll" out of your hand. it's a handle, but all it can do is slide downward, as opposed to a free bar which can start turning. same reason why it's easier to deadlift with a mixed grip as opposed to alternating. same downward force, but one can rotate and the other can't.

Well that much is obvious, haha. Though some people can get almost equal numbers with both the farmers and one arm DL's. I think if you have an enormous crushing grip, it wont matter. My crushing isnt so well but my wrist curl is great.

Ever think of trying out Strongman?

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #128 on: March 18, 2008, 05:37:01 PM »
Well that much is obvious, haha. Though some people can get almost equal numbers with both the farmers and one arm DL's. I think if you have an enormous crushing grip, it wont matter. My crushing isnt so well but my wrist curl is great.

Ever think of trying out Strongman?

haha you sound like me over there whining... my crushing grip isn't shit compared to my forearm strength....which I'm trying to fix!  ;D

I think magoo would do great in strongman..but he's starting to phase out and into powerlifting by the looks of things...he just doesn't know it yet! HAHA

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #129 on: March 18, 2008, 05:39:35 PM »
haha you sound like me over there whining... my crushing grip isn't shit compared to my forearm strength....which I'm trying to fix!  ;D

I think magoo would do great in strongman..but he's starting to phase out and into powerlifting by the looks of things...he just doesn't know it yet! HAHA

And so it begins.....

BFP

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #130 on: March 18, 2008, 06:08:41 PM »
Magoo,

why do you pause your bench reps?

jason

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #131 on: March 18, 2008, 06:12:06 PM »
Magoo,

why do you pause your bench reps?

jason

in the off-chance i ever get around to doing a meet, i figure it's a good idea. the operative phrase being "get around to". :P

also, since i'm an ego lifter (aren't we all?) i know it looks more impressive to throw 315 around with pauses than touch and go, although strangely at this point i can BARELY get more reps TnG than paused (maybe five on a good day).

Lift4, i'd definitely love to do some strongman training, but i have absolutely no access to the equipment. using a school gym currently, got no way to train for it. i can do farmer walks, oly lifts, and more strongman-type lifts like overhead presses or squatting/pulling for reps, but no logs/tires/etc.

BFP

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #132 on: March 18, 2008, 06:17:51 PM »
in the off-chance i ever get around to doing a meet, i figure it's a good idea. the operative phrase being "get around to". :P

also, since i'm an ego lifter (aren't we all?) i know it looks more impressive to throw 315 around with pauses than touch and go, although strangely at this point i can BARELY get more reps TnG than paused (maybe five on a good day).

Lift4, i'd definitely love to do some strongman training, but i have absolutely no access to the equipment. using a school gym currently, got no way to train for it. i can do farmer walks, oly lifts, and more strongman-type lifts like overhead presses or squatting/pulling for reps, but no logs/tires/etc.

My advice would be to not pause on the bench.  It is only a rule of competition, and does horrible things to your CNS.  Not really horrible, but it definitely doesnt help at all.  You should try to avoid it if you can.

Jason

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #133 on: March 18, 2008, 06:27:14 PM »

Thats usually the excuse. I went to a local rock yard (theres one near you Im sure) and set different rocks on the scale to see how much they weigh and bought a few. Cost about $20 and I got 3 good size stones. I also picked up a big flagstone for Husafell/Africa stone carrying. I was using heavy DB's and barbells for farmers for a while until I made my own for $20 at Home Depot (the plumbing section rocks). You could do it if you really want to. You wont really want to until you try it out the first time.

I recommend getting a large stone (200+lbs) for front carries to raise your GPP anyway. Its funny, the gym cant compare to the workout I get in the backyard!

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #134 on: March 18, 2008, 07:45:12 PM »
My advice would be to not pause on the bench.  It is only a rule of competition, and does horrible things to your CNS.  Not really horrible, but it definitely doesnt help at all.  You should try to avoid it if you can.

Jason

really? first time i've heard that. although, if it's true, it might explain why i've been burnt out like crazy for a little while now and only made marginal improvements. suppose it's back to TnG for a while.  :-\

and Lift4, that's definitely an idea, yeah. i might go for that once i get my own yard and whatnot (college life, you know?). in the meanwhile i'll just go for the more generic thing, making sure to incorporate lifts of various kinds.

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #135 on: March 18, 2008, 08:19:16 PM »

Jason

it's just like pausing too long on a box instead of just touching and going back up... you tend you relax and that can lead to all kinds of fuck ups.  Jason is right magoo.

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #136 on: March 19, 2008, 11:47:54 AM »
it's just like pausing too long on a box instead of just touching and going back up... you tend you relax and that can lead to all kinds of fuck ups.  Jason is right magoo.

damn, i must be fuckin that up too. when i sit on the box, i'm there for at least a one count, if not more. gah.  :-\

BFP

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #137 on: March 19, 2008, 02:32:44 PM »
damn, i must be fuckin that up too. when i sit on the box, i'm there for at least a one count, if not more. gah.  :-\

Its different for the box squat...you want to release the hips, but you NEVER get loose on the box.

Jason

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #138 on: March 19, 2008, 02:58:50 PM »

Jason
i remember reading Ed Coan say that exact same thing in PL Usa, he said pause benches killed his explosiveness.

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #139 on: March 19, 2008, 03:07:53 PM »
i remember reading Ed Coan say that exact same thing in PL Usa, he said pause benches killed his explosiveness.

which is weird because you'd think it'd be the other way.

all righty, back to touch and go, it seems. watch, i haven't done it in so long i'll be worse at it for a few weeks haha.

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #140 on: March 19, 2008, 05:15:31 PM »
which is weird because you'd think it'd be the other way.

all righty, back to touch and go, it seems. watch, i haven't done it in so long i'll be worse at it for a few weeks haha.

i don't want to hear your bullshit! get it together and put up some numbers! Touch and go should be putting 10lbs or better on  your bench once you get used to the speed of it while staying in teh groove.  ;D

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #141 on: March 20, 2008, 12:57:20 PM »
i don't want to hear your bullshit! get it together and put up some numbers! Touch and go should be putting 10lbs or better on  your bench once you get used to the speed of it while staying in teh groove.  ;D

hahaha, we'll see how it goes this week.

THURSDAY - squats

front squats: didn't feel like doing normal things, so tried new stuff. ass to grass on these.
135x5
225x6
275x3 - belt
285x3 - not too bad, actually.

sumo pulls off blocks: raised about 3-4" inches. no belt for any sets, full stop on the blocks.
135x5
225x5
315x5
365x4
405x3
405x3

t-bar rows: in the corner, v-bar handle. weights listed in plates, not pounds.
1x15
2x12
3x12
4x12
5x8

leg extensions: not sure why i did these.
100x15
130x15
150x15

clap pullups:

weight: 231

notes: haha, that's right, TWO WHOLE CLAP PULLUPS. bow before me.  ;D

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #142 on: March 21, 2008, 03:43:11 PM »

quoting again because, uh, i tried it today. so, here's the results.

FRIDAY - fucking around on the bench.

flat bench: touch and go, pulled my shoulder blades back harder, middle fingers on the rings. figured i might as well give it a go.
135x10
225x8
275x3
315x6 - i was completely unprepared for this. spotter had his hands there for the 6th, but said he didn't do anything.
335x3 - technically 2.5, on the SECOND rep my shoulders slipped, so i needed a boost, but then i got the 3rd.

225x20

incline db: 45 degree incline, a little higher than normal
100x8
100x8

pullups:
3x12

back machine:
2x10

db raises:
40x10
40x10
40x10

ez bar curls: slow reps, just feelin' it out
75x12
95x12
95x12

pushdowns:
80x15
80x15

weight: 230

notes: dude. dude. 315x6?? where the FUCK did that come from? i think i figured out why my close-grip and my normal bench were so close. my dumb ass wasn't going wide enough. i'm just baffled by how this workout went today.

every 1RM calculator i've found says 315x6 means a 366 max, so i think i might try for 365 next tuesday or wednesday touch and go. if i nail it, that means i can shift my goal from 365 by summer to 385 by summer, and 405 by the end of the year!  ;D ;D

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #143 on: March 21, 2008, 05:04:40 PM »
DO NOT ROTATE YOUR SHOULDERS BACK! Just push your upper body/shoulders down into the bench hard! I used to tell people to do that and I myself did it and it's wrong. That opens your rotators and  your shoulders WAY up and I couldn't figure out why benching was always hurting me.. when I got setup and pushed my upper back and shoulder down into the bench hard that was night and day differnce. If you're actually rotating your scapula back you're asking for it..i'ts how I fucked myself using 470 last year.

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #144 on: March 21, 2008, 05:08:12 PM »
naw man, no rotation. just pulling the shoulder blades together, you know? i'm a low toucher, there's no way i'm rotating my shoulders in that direction.

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #145 on: March 21, 2008, 05:22:08 PM »
naw man, no rotation. just pulling the shoulder blades together, you know? i'm a low toucher, there's no way i'm rotating my shoulders in that direction.

as long as you're not "tucking" them back behind you...that's all that matters.

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #146 on: March 22, 2008, 03:18:34 PM »
shoulders are all good m'man. we'll see if i can hit 365 this week. i'm actually pretty optimistic on this one. ;D

PANDAEMONIUM

• Getbig V
  • Scourge of the Northern Gods
« Reply #147 on: March 22, 2008, 08:47:19 PM »
shoulders are all good m'man. we'll see if i can hit 365 this week. i'm actually pretty optimistic on this one. ;D

Good to hear man.  Shoulder issues have ruined many a great ::) ;D lifter in his prime :D

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #148 on: March 22, 2008, 10:29:47 PM »
good luck you big mofo, lol thats awesome on the clap pullups id probably try and clap and then miss the bar.

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #149 on: March 25, 2008, 11:22:31 AM »
fucking right!!!!

TUESDAY - bench day

flat bench: middle fingers on the rings, etc.
135x10
225x5
275x3
315x2
340x2
365x1 - YES!! fuckin NAILED it!
365x0.9 - tried it again, but the spotter nudged it when i didn't REALLY need it.
315x4
225x25 - 24, i suppose, needed some help on 25, but damn this was a fast set.

30's - you know, the 21's variant for bench.
135x30
135x30

chins:
25x8 - dumbbell between the feet
25x8
25x6

hammer curls:
45x10
60x9
60x9
60x9

some random shoulder raises, then a set of 20 dips.

weight: 231

notes: sick on monday (actually saturday through monday :P ), so skipped the workout then. that said, holy shit i can't believe i got it. my goals before my birthday were a 365 bench and 225x25. hit 'em both, son!!