Author Topic: Evolution  (Read 10035 times)

tonymctones

• Getbig V
Evolution
« on: January 28, 2008, 01:36:17 PM »
Do you believe in evolution? This is a questions for the Christians again I know where those of you that are not religious land on this topic. Im not asking if you believe that we humans evolved from another form of life, what Im asking is if you believe in the theory of evoloution?

MMC78

• Getbig II
Re: Evolution
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 02:11:02 PM »

beatmaster

• Getbig IV
  • Save a tree, eat a beaver
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 02:18:18 PM »
yes, and it's a proven fact, something that the creationist will denied.

creationist's proof is in a book, does that make sens?
are you delusional?

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 02:56:47 PM »

You can still believe in God and believe in the concept of evolution

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 03:22:34 PM »
Do you believe in evolution? This is a questions for the Christians again I know where those of you that are not religious land on this topic. Im not asking if you believe that we humans evolved from another form of life, what Im asking is if you believe in the theory of evoloution?

Nope.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 03:46:51 PM »
Nope.

Exactly. A self-perpetuating, eternal entity just used his magic powers to zap 'kinds' of things into existence. That is obviously much more plausible.
I hate the State.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2008, 03:55:16 PM »
Exactly. A self-perpetuating, eternal entity just used his magic powers to zap 'kinds' of things into existence. That is obviously much more plausible.

Or our perfectly shaped planet magically appeared and all life as we know it began with single celled creature that magically appeared on our perfectly shaped planet.  That is obviously much more plausible. 

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2008, 04:15:40 PM »
Or our perfectly shaped planet magically appeared and all life as we know it began with single celled creature that magically appeared on our perfectly shaped planet.  That is obviously much more plausible. 
It's not a similar game.

Religious explanations re origins are stories accepted on faith.

Scientific explanations re origins are stories accepted on faith but grounded in rational discussion.  There may be a day when our scientific methodology can adequately grasp the creation of the universe/man in terms of evolution.  The groundwork is being laid by some rather bright people.

That can never happen with religious explanations.  There is no qualitative difference, rationally speaking, between God created the universe/man and an Elf created the universe/man. 

Comparing religious ideas for origins to scientific ones is still apple and oranges--faith v. reason.

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2008, 04:26:50 PM »

Actually that makes more sense then anything. Think about it, The first man and women wrote about themselves. This is the most obvious thing to do considering we (nowadays) store information about everything including things that don't really matter. If this wasn't true why was there no oppisition about this concept in the past, 3000 years ago in the days of the trojens or the days of king David or king Benhadad of syria, or later dates from Assyria and Babylonia. I mean wouldn't it be easy to know that a flood didn't happen 1400 years earlier.

BTW almost everything you've learned in your life has come from a book

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2008, 04:31:51 PM »
It's not a similar game.

Scientific explanations re origins are stories accepted on faith but grounded in rational discussion.  There may be a day when our scientific methodology can adequately grasp the creation of the universe/man in terms of evolution.  The groundwork is being laid by some rather bright people.

That can never happen with religious explanations.  There is no qualitative difference, rationally speaking, between God created the universe/man and an Elf created the universe/man. 

Comparing religious ideas for origins to scientific ones is still apple and oranges--faith v. reason.

I think the issue was whether a person believes in evolution, not how evolution compares with any other theory.  Believing that our perfectly shaped planet suddenly appeared, through an explosion or however the heck it got here, and that a single celled creature suddenly appeared and began to evolve into life as we know it, requires faith.  In fact, it requires willful suspension of disbelief.  There is no provable explanation for the origin of life based on the theory of evolution.  It sounds like science fiction. 

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2008, 04:35:35 PM »
It's not a similar game.

Do the planets have a stamp on the that sais "hi, I'm Jupitor and I've been living here for 4.6 billion years''? and do the dinosaure bones have a tag when they get dugged out saying " Im 65 million years old"? and has A Macro-evolution ever been observed? NO NO NO. All you know about a bone buried in the ground is that it was once a life form that died.

You call that reason? I call that faith.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2008, 04:38:49 PM »

Our planet is neither perfectly shaped nor optimally designed for life nor is life itself optimally designed; if your god made it, he is one hell of a fuck up and would flunk any basic engineering examination.
I hate the State.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2008, 04:43:41 PM »
Our planet is neither perfectly shaped not optimally designed for life nor is life itself optimally designed; if your god made it, he is one hell of a fuck up and would flunk any basic engineering examination.

Sure it is.  It's round.  Can't get more perfect than that.  And our planet has ideal conditions for life.  I guess you've never been to Hawaii?   :)

We have a great deal of accidental order:  earth rotating on its axis, sun, moon, equal light and day, rain, soil, etc., etc. 

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2008, 04:53:42 PM »
Sure it is.  It's round.  Can't get more perfect than that.  And our planet has ideal conditions for life.  I guess you've never been to Hawaii?   :)

We have a great deal of accidental order:  earth rotating on its axis, sun, moon, equal light and day, rain, soil, etc., etc. 

The earth is not a perfect sphere.

You forget to mention the earthquakes, volcanic eruptions (which made Haiwaii), tsunamis, hurricanes, blizzards and general natural occurences which are not very conducive to life.

Arthritis, cancer, congenital disease; these are the results of 'intelligent design'?

And of course the appendix, a useless organ that can potentially kill us has been intelligently designed as well?

Yes, life can exist here, but it is not optimal and one would expect far more from an omipotent, infallible god than this mud mall we are stuck on.
I hate the State.

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2008, 04:57:58 PM »
Our planet is neither perfectly shaped not optimally designed for life nor is life itself optimally designed; if your god made it, he is one hell of a fuck up and would flunk any basic engineering examination.
I must say some of the things you say sound intelligent, but some of the things you say are plain stuped. World not being perfect....huh. If you shrunk the earth to the size of a pool ball, it would be just as round and just as smooth. If the earth was 1 querter of an astronamical mile closer to the sun we would roast, and 1 q further we would freeze.

Beachbum was obviously saying the earth was perfect in comparising to other heavenly body's not your fantasy of a planet that evolved from an object the size of a grain of sand that exploded 20 billion years ago.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2008, 05:06:55 PM »
I must say some of the things you say sound intelligent, but some of the things you say are plain stuped. World not being perfect....huh. If you shrunk the earth to the size of a pool ball, it would be just as round and just as smooth. If the earth was 1 querter of an astronamical mile closer to the sun we would roast, and 1 q further we would freeze.

Beachbum was obviously saying the earth was perfect in comparising to other heavenly body's not your fantasy of a planet that evolved from an object the size of a grain of sand that exploded 20 billion years ago.

Once again; a forever unprovable, self-perpetuating entity that exists outside the bounds of testable reality magically zapped this planet into existence.

He also designed the eminently useful appendix as well.  ::)
I hate the State.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2008, 05:26:27 PM »
has A Macro-evolution ever been observed? NO NO NO. All you know about a bone buried in the ground is that it was once a life form that died.

You call that reason? I call that faith.
Perhaps not a macro at this time but certainly a micro version of evolution has presented itself to us...just look at the effects of antibiotics on bacteria and before I get bombarded for this let me explain. take into account all the antibacterial soap commercials out there, what do they always say? KILLS 99.99% of all bacteria well you see that 0.01% doesnt just sit there it reproduces and the same mutation that prevented it from being killed in the first place sooner or later will get passed on. This is why we are constantly needing stronger antibiotics and is EVOLUTION.

Let me propose this question to you do you think its possible for a person to believe in God as well as Evolution?

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2008, 05:32:41 PM »
Perhaps not a macro at this time but certainly a micro version of evolution has presented itself to us...just look at the effects of antibiotics on bacteria and before I get bombarded for this let me explain. take into account all the antibacterial soap commercials out there, what do they always say? KILLS 99.99% of all bacteria well you see that 0.01% doesnt just sit there it reproduces and the same mutation that prevented it from being killed in the first place sooner or later will get passed on. This is why we are constantly needing stronger antibiotics and is EVOLUTION.

Let me propose this question to you do you think its possible for a person to believe in God as well as Evolution?

Yes, but you cannot be a Christian, at least not a proper bible believing one.

So, sure you can believe in god and evolution but the god you would have to believe in is one hell of a fuck up; surely he could have done a much better job than the painful and painfully long process of evolution.
I hate the State.

MMC78

• Getbig II
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2008, 05:39:13 PM »
The first man and women wrote about themselves. This is the most obvious thing to do considering we (nowadays) store information

The first man and woman certainly did not write about themselves.  People existed in communities before the establishment of writing and general literacy.

MMC78

• Getbig II
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2008, 05:42:13 PM »
Sure it is.  It's round.  Can't get more perfect than that.

Our planet is round due to the gravitational forces acting upon it from it's own mass.  Maybe you creationists deserve your reputation as being uneducated.

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2008, 05:49:05 PM »

bombarded...lol. I 100% agree with you on the bacteria and yes Micro-evolution exist, but it should be called something else because the name implies that it is proof that evelution is real. But there are limits to mutations; in the case of the bacteria, it can change over and over , but it will always be bacteria. A monkey cannot turn into a human and nothing of this sort has ever been observed.

A lot of people on earth believe in evolution and God, nobody's perfect. This could be because they hold there faith without going into direct detail about either subject. Personally I believe its foolish to believe in both, afterall they are direct oppisites. If cristians believe in evolution does this mean they won't be saved? Absolutely not. Of the few that have studied creation and evolution and still belive in both, more then likely its because in the Bible it states that 1 day for God is like a thousand years and a thousand years is like one day, hence they make the false assumption that the six day creation plus one day rest is not a litteral term.

hope this helps.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2008, 05:57:05 PM »
bombarded...lol. I 100% agree with you on the bacteria and yes Micro-evolution exist, but it should be called something else because the name implies that it is proof that evelution is real. But there are limits to mutations; in the case of the bacteria, it can change over and over , but it will always be bacteria. A monkey cannot turn into a human and nothing of this sort has ever been observed.

A lot of people on earth believe in evolution and God, nobody's perfect. This could be because they hold there faith without going into direct detail about either subject. Personally I believe its foolish to believe in both, afterall they are direct oppisites. If cristians believe in evolution does this mean they won't be saved? Absolutely not. Of the few that have studied creation and evolution and still belive in both, more then likely its because in the Bible it states that 1 day for God is like a thousand years and a thousand years is like one day, hence they make the false assumption that the six day creation plus one day rest is not a litteral term.

hope this helps.

This is fucking hysterical. Thanks onetime!  :D

BTW, why do humans and great apes share 97%-99% of their DNA? Did god just make it that way?
I hate the State.

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2008, 05:57:57 PM »
The first man and woman certainly did not write about themselves.  People existed in communities before the establishment of writing and general literacy.
How do you know?
Our planet is round due to the gravitational forces acting upon it from it's own mass.  Maybe you creationists deserve your reputation as being uneducated.
Actually, I thought it was flat and there was a waterfall at the end.

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2008, 06:02:32 PM »
This is fucking hysterical. Thanks onetime!  :D

BTW, why do humans and great apes share 97%-99% of their DNA? Did god just make it that way?
Why not?

And a better suggestion is...... a rock + millions of years = Humans that can read and write.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2008, 06:13:21 PM »

hope this helps.

I agree that nothing like ape to human has ever been observed but then again like you said thousands of years so lets say that at the very least 7000 yrs. This would give plenty of time to allow for certain mutations to arise and establish themselves, more likely though in that amount of time it would have been something to do with intelligence or perhaps immunity to a diesease, and over time you never know...Im not very well versed in Bible knowledge, so plz correct me if Im wrong but whats to say that we werent created as something other than what we consider to be humans...there are a few anthropological theorys that might coincide with creationism if you can concede evolution. Or whats to say that people have taken a far to literal view of the Bible when it says the God created man and then created all the animals and what it really meant was that God created man and within him created all the animals meaning that all the animals grew from him as an evolutionary terms. This might also explain the concept of Eve perhaps "man" was created as a single cell and God takeing a rib from Adam and makeing Eve was the single cell "Adam" reproducing itself

and yes this does help most people cannot talk about this subject with an open mind and without resulting to insults