Author Topic: How could a vet do this  (Read 3328 times)

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
How could a vet do this
« on: January 30, 2008, 07:19:40 PM »

Ace is a 5 month old Neutered Male Pit Bull Terrier.

I am such a sweet and happy boy. I have lots of soft excited tail wags for you! I can't wait for you to play with me and give me hugs! I love to play and go on walks! I don't know why but someone cut my ears off! They tell me here at WCHS that I am just as handsome and adorable without them anyway. I am good with other dogs but I need to go to a home without cats.

My favorite friend to play with at the Shelter is: Sophie and Moose

You must be at least 25 years of age and be able to provide proof of renters/home owners insurance that covers my breed, to be approved for my adoption.
:

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
Re: How could a vet do this
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 03:43:54 AM »

Are you referring to his ears, or lack of?  It might not have been a vet that did it.  :(

w8m8

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 04:01:35 AM »
by the looks of his tail I'd assume it wasn't a vet , mostly mental freaks do the ears as close as possible so they can fight and have nothing for the "opponent" to grab onto

I've seen the tails done closer in those instances though so it must have been two separate home "surgeries"

It's pretty tempting to want to hurt people who do these things to helpless animals

He's still a cute boy though  :)

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2008, 08:52:39 PM »
by the looks of his tail I'd assume it wasn't a vet , mostly mental freaks do the ears as close as possible so they can fight and have nothing for the "opponent" to grab onto

I've seen the tails done closer in those instances though so it must have been two separate home "surgeries"

It's pretty tempting to want to hurt people who do these things to helpless animals

He's still a cute boy though  :)

You have to look at the line of the cut of the ear.  Typically veterinary done close ear crops (I used to work for one in Kentucky who'd do crops like) are smoother and rounded.  At home crops are much more jagged.   The worst are the straight line "hatchet crops"----take a hatchet, heat it until its red hot and chop off the dogs ear when they are a few weeks old.   The hot hatchet keeps them from bleeding as bad  ::) .   

I was sick to my stomach the first time I did a cruelty investigation with a dog with an earcrop done like that.  And after working in that practice and having to try to put back the owners fuckups with ear crops, I flat out refuse to do them and won't work at a practice that does them.   

gtbro1

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2008, 04:55:52 PM »
 :(

James Dalton

• Getbig II
  • The Name's.....Dalton
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008, 05:12:12 PM »
My Brandy has her ears done, it had to be a vet b/c it's a perfect cut.  We adopted her and they were done, I don't know if I could do it to a little pup...I love the look of the cropped ears though.

Not sure if this is true, but I was told cropping the ears at a young age is not as bad as it sounds b/c the cartlidge hasn't formed yet and it doesn't really hurt them...like I said that's what I was told, who knows....

I don't know about cropping the tail on a pit bull, that's news to me...who knows, to each there own I guess...I think a cropped tail on a bulldog is plain ugly
The dancing's over. Now it gets dirty.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2008, 06:55:04 PM »
Ace's ears are beyond cropped.  They are cut flat to his head  >:( and the cold bothers him tremendously.  :'(
:

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2008, 10:36:11 PM »
My Brandy has her ears done, it had to be a vet b/c it's a perfect cut.  We adopted her and they were done, I don't know if I could do it to a little pup...I love the look of the cropped ears though.

Not sure if this is true, but I was told cropping the ears at a young age is not as bad as it sounds b/c the cartlidge hasn't formed yet and it doesn't really hurt them...like I said that's what I was told, who knows....

I don't know about cropping the tail on a pit bull, that's news to me...who knows, to each there own I guess...I think a cropped tail on a bulldog is plain ugly

Tail bobs and dewclaws are typically done at 2-3 days of age and absolutely no older than 5 days of age without general anesthesia (or at least how I do them).  I know its sort of a stretch, but in my mind, they really aren't that much different than circumcision as long as appropriate analgesia is used perioperatively and post operatively. 

The problem with doing ear crops young (ie 3-5 weeks) is the ear cartilage needs to mature to a certian point for them to look right, especially in breeds like dobermans where the desired effect is to take an ear that lops over and make it stand upright.   There is a window of time where the cartilage is ideal for cropping to occur.  If its done early, the ear may not stand upright as desired, if its done later, the ear is much larger, has a longer incision, will bleed more, and may result in thickened cartilage, which doesn't look good.  I've said it before and I"ll say it again, ear cropping really has an "artistic" component to it, which in my mind makes them even less desireable to do because not every veterinarian has the ability to do them. 

As far as the pain issue goes, I think thats pure bullshit---and its bullshit I've argued with with veterinarians who do ear crops--you are still cutting off half (or more) of the ear.

James Dalton

• Getbig II
  • The Name's.....Dalton
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2008, 05:16:52 PM »
I was going to liken them to a circumcision, that's funny you make that reference also...yeah man I also agree about the pain, anytime you take a scalpel and cut something off your body it hurts.

I don't think I could put my pup through it....I'll have to post a pic of Brandy..
The dancing's over. Now it gets dirty.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2008, 08:22:54 AM »
Weird.

Mr. Jingles

• Getbig II
  • Success is measured by the size of your BALLS!!!
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2008, 11:43:46 AM »
 >:( >:(

This is something seen alot and it makes me sick,, I Love dogs and rescued my Australian Kelpe. When I was at the shelter I saw things that really make me mad. Sometimes you kinda wish you could just catch one of them attempting to do things like cutting Aces ears.. Being 210 with an attitute would be very dangerous...

Peace to all the Dog Lovers and BEWARE to all the dog haters.......

Brian

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2008, 08:44:45 PM »

Ace is a 5 month old Neutered Male Pit Bull Terrier.

I am such a sweet and happy boy. I have lots of soft excited tail wags for you! I can't wait for you to play with me and give me hugs! I love to play and go on walks! I don't know why but someone cut my ears off! They tell me here at WCHS that I am just as handsome and adorable without them anyway. I am good with other dogs but I need to go to a home without cats.

My favorite friend to play with at the Shelter is: Sophie and Moose

You must be at least 25 years of age and be able to provide proof of renters/home owners insurance that covers my breed, to be approved for my adoption.

For the past several weeks, I've paid regular visits to the humane society and Ace.   He really is a sweetie. He still has not found a home.  :'(

Yesterday, I took Scout up there to meet him.  Scout gets along with EVERYONE.  If a dog is aggressive, he ignores him.  He always submits to a more dominant dog.  From what I understand, Ace is very submissive too.

Well, it was not love at first sight.  The meeting did not go well.  A handler and I spent quite some time walking/running around a big arena so they could see eachother and release some energy, but not actually interact.  Once they got to a point of somewhat "ignoring" eachother, we introduced them.  They played for awhile, albeit a little rough IMO.  We had to break it up a few times.  I did not like Scout's behavior ~ a side of him I've never seen.  He even drew blood.  :(   Sadly, Ace still does not have a home.
:

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2008, 10:59:55 AM »

For the past several weeks, I've paid regular visits to the humane society and Ace.   He really is a sweetie. He still has not found a home.  :'(

Yesterday, I took Scout up there to meet him.  Scout gets along with EVERYONE.  If a dog is aggressive, he ignores him.  He always submits to a more dominant dog.  From what I understand, Ace is very submissive too.

Well, it was not love at first sight.  The meeting did not go well.  A handler and I spent quite some time walking/running around a big arena so they could see eachother and release some energy, but not actually interact.  Once they got to a point of somewhat "ignoring" eachother, we introduced them.  They played for awhile, albeit a little rough IMO.  We had to break it up a few times.  I did not like Scout's behavior ~ a side of him I've never seen.  He even drew blood.  :(   Sadly, Ace still does not have a home.

I don't know your dog personally, but you may have actually built up some anxiety within the dogs if you allowed them to see each other but did not allow contact while walking them.   Was the blood drawn drawn in a fight or very, very aggressive play? 

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2008, 06:51:18 PM »
I don't know your dog personally, but you may have actually built up some anxiety within the dogs if you allowed them to see each other but did not allow contact while walking them.   Was the blood drawn drawn in a fight or very, very aggressive play? 

Well, they got to sniff eachother to begin with and that didn't go too well, so that's when we jogged them around for awhile.  I think the blood was a little bit of both aggressive play and a rift.

I'm sure we'll find the perfect match eventually.
:

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2009, 07:04:58 PM »
I was at the humane society yesterday (million dollar makeover contest) and ACE was visiting ;D  What a sweetie-pie.  It took 8 months for someone to adopt him and he is now in a loving home with two other big labs to romp with.

I see the picture is no longer viewable, but I'm sure some of you will recall his ears are cut flat to his head  >:(  Someone donated a special headpiece for him to wear in the cold and rain (both bother him very much).
:

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2009, 07:49:38 PM »
hmm i just get a red x

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2009, 10:59:25 PM »
any Dobe I get again is getting cropped and docked.