Author Topic: If your dog attacked and seriouly wounded or killed a person...  (Read 5828 times)

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
If your dog attacked and seriouly wounded or killed a person...
« on: February 16, 2008, 08:21:53 PM »
would you put it to sleep?
I hate the State.

gtbro1

• Getbig V
Re: If your dog attacked and seriouly wounded or killed a person...
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008, 08:49:18 PM »
  Only if it was NOT the victims fault. If the dog honestly went nuts or whatever and attacked a child unprovoked then maybe...but how often does that happen? It is usually the fault of an irresponsible owner leaving a child with the dog etc.... I guess it would depend on the situation.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2008, 09:02:01 PM »
  Only if it was NOT the victims fault. If the dog honestly went nuts or whatever and attacked a child unprovoked then maybe...but how often does that happen? It is usually the fault of an irresponsible owner leaving a child with the dog etc.... I guess it would depend on the situation.

Years ago back in NYC someone's rotweiler mauled a kid to death in a park whilst he was playing. I'll never forget that. Unprovoked.

Honestly those types of breeds I don't trust....pitbulls too...give me a nice beagle over them any day...
I hate the State.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2008, 10:03:26 PM »
Years ago back in NYC someone's rotweiler mauled a kid to death in a park whilst he was playing. I'll never forget that. Unprovoked.

Honestly those types of breeds I don't trust....pitbulls too...give me a nice beagle over them any day...
Never been bitten by a pit, been bitten by a poodle, and a cocker spaniel....imagine that.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2008, 11:17:49 PM »
Never been bitten by a pit, been bitten by a poodle, and a cocker spaniel....imagine that.

I've been bitten by a cocker spaniel too...to this day I hate cocker spaniels... >:(
I hate the State.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2008, 01:30:11 AM »
I've been bitten by a cocker spaniel too...to this day I hate cocker spaniels... >:(
dude, because you got bit by one?  I got chomped bigtime by a wolf, I don't hate them. I've just had to alter my lifestyle around full moons is all.  Kidding :D

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2008, 02:28:29 AM »
dude, because you got bit by one?  I got chomped bigtime by a wolf, I don't hate them. I've just had to alter my lifestyle around full moons is all.  Kidding :D

Ugly dogs anyway...cocker spaniels are...
I hate the State.

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2008, 08:54:58 AM »
would you put it to sleep?

When I was a kid, one of my dogs ran down some deer.   My stepdad gave me the choice, i could shoot the dog or he would.  That happened twice in my childhood--the other time was with my brothers dog, which he shot while I made noise in the house so my kid brother wouldn't hear the gunshot.  To me those were some pretty hard, very real life lessons.

There are certian things you absolutely have to draw the line with---one is one of my dogs biting humans or running livestock, especially if its unprovoked.  Also, I'm not talking about my dogs mauling a burgler who's attacking me or my wife or chasing cattle under my command.  If an unprovoked attack/mauling occurs, first, I'd blame myself becuase I am certian I'd have to have done something stupid in the training/socialization of that dog or have let the dog get into a situation I should have not allowed to happen.  Second, I'd euthanize the dog.  I won't tolerate it. 

dogpound

• Getbig II
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2008, 09:09:32 AM »
Not sure about this, but if your dog really hurt someone, wouldn't you legally have to put them to sleep.

w8m8

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2008, 09:28:47 AM »
Not sure about this, but if your dog really hurt someone, wouldn't you legally have to put them to sleep.

In some places , you're probably right .My cat bit me once and I had a bad infection.The Dr.'s office turned in a report of an animal bite.3 days later the local Animal Control Officer came to "try" and pick up my cat to be put down ,  8)

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2008, 10:32:35 AM »
When I was a kid, one of my dogs ran down some deer.   My stepdad gave me the choice, i could shoot the dog or he would.  That happened twice in my childhood--the other time was with my brothers dog, which he shot while I made noise in the house so my kid brother wouldn't hear the gunshot.  To me those were some pretty hard, very real life lessons.

There are certian things you absolutely have to draw the line with---one is one of my dogs biting humans or running livestock, especially if its unprovoked.  Also, I'm not talking about my dogs mauling a burgler who's attacking me or my wife or chasing cattle under my command.  If an unprovoked attack/mauling occurs, first, I'd blame myself becuase I am certian I'd have to have done something stupid in the training/socialization of that dog or have let the dog get into a situation I should have not allowed to happen.  Second, I'd euthanize the dog.  I won't tolerate it. 

I agree with what Vet says here

dogpound

• Getbig II
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2008, 10:48:22 AM »
If my dog ran after livestock I would keep my dog away from it. I couldn't see myself killing my dog because of something like that.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2008, 10:59:17 AM »
If my dog ran after livestock I would keep my dog away from it. I couldn't see myself killing my dog because of something like that.

Well, coming from a farm area....once a dog gets the taste of blood or a chase....it's really hard to break.  In most cases, they will bolt whenever they have a chance or when you least expect it.

IMO....when your family dog is out in thew woods chasing down deer or livestock in the field, it's no longer your family pet anymore.  They can be a ticking timebomb especially if you have small kids in the house or even other pets like cats.  In very rare circumstances, I've seen that type of behaviour broke....but I'm talking like 1 out of 100 in percentage.  Not very common at all.

temper35

• Getbig III
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2008, 04:23:13 PM »
Well, coming from a farm area....once a dog gets the taste of blood or a chase....it's really hard to break.  In most cases, they will bolt whenever they have a chance or when you least expect it.

IMO....when your family dog is out in thew woods chasing down deer or livestock in the field, it's no longer your family pet anymore.  They can be a ticking timebomb especially if you have small kids in the house or even other pets like cats.  In very rare circumstances, I've seen that type of behaviour broke....but I'm talking like 1 out of 100 in percentage.  Not very common at all.

Alot of people say that about the taste of blood, I don't buy it.  I don't see any scientific or behavioral basis at all.  What about rehabilitated fighting dogs?  What about MARROW BONES?  What about a raw diet?

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2008, 04:32:16 PM »
The taste of blood is bullshit, it is the prey drive and the thrill of that.

If I gave my dogs a meal with fur on it they most likely wouldn't eat it.  If they went and killed another animal it wouldn't be for food, it would be the chase.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2008, 05:00:38 PM »
I think the taste of blood is a manner of speaking

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2008, 05:01:00 PM »
You gotta put the dog down, sad as it may be.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2008, 08:58:38 PM »
I would say ya you have to put the dog down even though it would be very sad, I cant imagine how hard that would be

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2008, 09:00:04 PM »

never been bit by a rot or a pit knock on wood...lol now a chihuaha thats another story i swear ive been bitten by like 4 or 5,those little fucks piss me off

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2008, 03:48:45 AM »
I think the taste of blood is a manner of speaking

I've had people tell me that raw feeding will make them get blood crazy and they will start attacking other pets, so most people take it as it is said. "Once the get a taste of blood, they will go looking for blood".    It is not the taste of blood, it is the thrill of the chase and kill, that they may decide they want to keep doing.   

That is typically one of the first questions people ask, usually after "won't the bones kill them". 

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2008, 07:11:15 AM »

Have you ever lived in farm country?  The reason I ask is that chasing livestock is a crime in many rural areas.  the owner of the dog will be liable for any damage done to livestock---including bruising damage and potentially loss of gains if the farmer can prove it.  Not only that its perfectly legal for a farmer to shoot a dog chasing their livestock as a means of protecting the livestock.  My grandfather shot my neighbors dog when I was a kid and took the dog to their front porch--he'd warned them multiple times about keeping the dog up, and when they didnt, he shot the dog.  They werent happy, but legally, there was absolutely nothing they could do because the dog was chasing livestock on my families farm property.   

Also, I'm not talking about just barking at some cows in a pasture--thats annoying--I'm talking about getting in with the livestock and running the cattle until the cattle (or sheep, or goats, or pigs) get out or get injured or worse yet, actually killing a calf or something like that.  That is one of the things that a dog just doesn't do, unless its under direct control of the owner at the time its doing it. 

I'd much rather be the one killing my dog---humanely---than the risk of some one missing the shot and gut shooting the dog or blowing off a leg and the dog laying in a ditch dying.  Its typically a prey drive thrill of the chase moment thing that given a chance once they've done it, they will do it again and again. 

dogpound

• Getbig II
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2008, 09:41:55 AM »
I live fairly close to a farm. I also live next to a busy road, so I put up a chain link fence. My dogs are house dogs anyway, so I don't have that problem. I would do whatever it took to keep them away from livestock like tying them up when they are outside. It may suck for some people to do that, but it beats killing them, I would say.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2008, 09:43:07 AM »

I've had people tell me that raw feeding will make them get blood crazy and they will start attacking other pets, so most people take it as it is said. "Once the get a taste of blood, they will go looking for blood".    It is not the taste of blood, it is the thrill of the chase and kill, that they may decide they want to keep doing.   

That is typically one of the first questions people ask, usually after "won't the bones kill them". 

Unless they're a shark...I doubt it.  If that was the case...humans would be blood thirsty....well....I guess some have been known to - lol

With dogs, it's not the actual taste of blood (in my opinion).  Honestly, you probably could fill a bowl of blood & feed it to a dog & they most likely wouldn't like it.  

It's the chase of the prey, the adrenaline, the attack, & then everything else following behind it.

I think for the most part, people say "the dog has the taste of blood" meaning "the dog has taste of hunting or chasing prey".

People get so hung up on terminology that slang words are being picked apart.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2008, 09:54:47 AM »
Have you ever lived in farm country?  The reason I ask is that chasing livestock is a crime in many rural areas.  the owner of the dog will be liable for any damage done to livestock---including bruising damage and potentially loss of gains if the farmer can prove it.  Not only that its perfectly legal for a farmer to shoot a dog chasing their livestock as a means of protecting the livestock.  My grandfather shot my neighbors dog when I was a kid and took the dog to their front porch--he'd warned them multiple times about keeping the dog up, and when they didnt, he shot the dog.  They werent happy, but legally, there was absolutely nothing they could do because the dog was chasing livestock on my families farm property.   

Also, I'm not talking about just barking at some cows in a pasture--thats annoying--I'm talking about getting in with the livestock and running the cattle until the cattle (or sheep, or goats, or pigs) get out or get injured or worse yet, actually killing a calf or something like that.  That is one of the things that a dog just doesn't do, unless its under direct control of the owner at the time its doing it. 

I'd much rather be the one killing my dog---humanely---than the risk of some one missing the shot and gut shooting the dog or blowing off a leg and the dog laying in a ditch dying.  Its typically a prey drive thrill of the chase moment thing that given a chance once they've done it, they will do it again and again. 

I hear 100% of what Vet is trying to say.

When I grew up (living in a farm area) my father told me that i had to shoot a dog if it was chasing livestock or deer.  He said basically that if there is no livestock or deer to chase, they'll find something else.

I remember one time when I was a kid going hunting with my dad.  I was pretty young, maybe 13.  We were on top of a hill & I heard dogs barking.  We stood there looking down this intense, thick hardwoods & saw this deer scrambling & running like hell.  Behind it about 15 feet was a pack of 4-5 dogs chasing it down.  I can still remember what one of the dogs looked like because it was pretty scary looking.  It was big, black, extremely furry with a big furry tail.  They were really too far away but my father took a shot anyways.

Make a long story short, we sat up on that hillside for about 3 hours or so.  When we left, instead of going down the hillside where we saw the deer & dogs, we went back the way we came in on the other side of the hill.  About 50-100 yards on the trail back we found the dogs prints in the snow & they decided to track our scent & decided to turn away when the got 50-100 yards from us.  Kind of scary actually.  Makes you wonder what could of happened.

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2008, 10:13:04 AM »
I think for the most part, people say "the dog has the taste of blood" meaning "the dog has taste of hunting or chasing prey".

People get so hung up on terminology that slang words are being picked apart.

Because of that phrase that is what people think.  They think if you give a dog raw food they will "get the taste of blood" and become killers. 

That phrase is not a modern phrase anymore so what it might have meant is not what it means to most people today. I have had quite a few people ask me and some actually TELL me that my dogs will become bloodthirsty.
  ::)