Author Topic: Questions for non believers  (Read 1167 times)

tonymctones

• Getbig V
Questions for non believers
« on: March 12, 2008, 01:29:18 PM »
This is more a question for those who dont believe in a god at all than those who believe in some form of god. My first question is do you believe that there are any standard rules that are present in our world and cross all cultural boundries that were not given to us by a diety. My second question is how you explain the first mover, which states that all things will remain in place unless acted upon by an outside force. So if everything was still in the beginning what caused the first move? Religious ppl will say it was God, what about non religious ppl?

Decker

• Getbig V
Re: Questions for non believers
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 08:15:51 AM »
My first question is do you believe that there are any standard rules that are present in our world and cross all cultural boundries that were not given to us by a diety.
I think that any rules governing behavior in this world are man-made.  A sort of social compact like our US Constitution.

My second question is how you explain the first mover, which states that all things will remain in place unless acted upon by an outside force.
I don't know.  I've heard quantum fluctuations in nothingness caused all this to happen.  But the only answer anyone can give to this question is "I don't know."

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 09:17:48 AM »
I think that any rules governing behavior in this world are man-made.  A sort of social compact like our US Constitution.
I don't know.  I've heard quantum fluctuations in nothingness caused all this to happen.  But the only answer anyone can give to this question is "I don't know."
Really I find it hard believe that if you take away all cultural morals and standards, and me and you were standing there that it wouldnt be wrong for me to just kill you for no reason. (but maybe thats just b/c i was raised in a society that says thats wrong and its hard for me to distance myself from that)

Ill have to look into the quantum fluctuations, but at least your being honest i half expected ppl to make something up.

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 09:23:05 AM »
Really I find it hard believe that if you take away all cultural morals and standards, and me and you were standing there that it wouldnt be wrong for me to just kill you for no reason. (but maybe thats just b/c i was raised in a society that says thats wrong and its hard for me to distance myself from that)

Ill have to look into the quantum fluctuations, but at least your being honest i half expected ppl to make something up.
Human brains are similar across cultural lines.  The only morality that exists is that which is agreed on socially.  We can ask the Iraqi victims about that statement.

The US constitution is a social compact based more on enlightened self interest than anything else.  It's tough to be all you can be when a constant threat of death exists in your country.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 03:53:08 PM »
The US constitution is a social compact based more on enlightened self interest than anything else.  It's tough to be all you can be when a constant threat of death exists in your country.
Agreed but like I said I still feel there is something wrong about someone arbitrarily taking a life of another.