Author Topic: OK-question to u strong ass mofo's lol?!  (Read 2838 times)

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
OK-question to u strong ass mofo's lol?!
« on: March 21, 2008, 05:18:13 AM »
Hey, i rarely if ever post here on the powerlifitng board, (u guys all freak me out hehe,just joking).
I know my man wicked truth through posts on his logg, hies kicking ass seriously, wud b kul if he slowed down and gave the rest of us a chance to catch up, but im looking foreward to seeing hsi numbers by the summers end!!

ANYhoo....As wicked will know im a DC trainer (ur all thinking 'whats that punk doing on our turf lol).

Iv had great gains since i started it at the end of january 2007, im now up 25+lbs (got weigh in on monday morning), and im learnt alot about intensity/pushing myself,aswell as diet (which il take into what ever i do now).

Im really wanting to get into powerlifting and shifting some serious slagg iron.

I havnt reached the size goals yet, but too be honest all the top strongmen/powerlifter (especially from 80's and 90's), all looked like off season bodybuilders, and wer all v thick.
So im thnking theres no reason y i cant keep building up alot of muscle while trying to get kickass strong.

Am i right??

Hit me back with ur thoughts, and i take it from there.

davie

PS i dont like flat benching (a DC thing i suppose+i find it uncomftorble,il slight incline bench/decline/or normal incline tho).

davie
It isn't the mountains ah

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
Re: OK-question to u strong ass mofo's lol?!
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 05:19:07 PM »
the more weight you move...the more muscle fibers you recruit..the more work you do..the stonger you get.  It's that simple. There's different kinds of strength and in powerlifting I'm in hte hunt for absolute strength and power. That's why DC and rest/pause work so well for bodybuilders looking to get strong in the process! It's a different type of training when it comes to powerlifting..but alot of your bigger bodybuilders all started as powerlifters to give them that good muscle size and strength that comes with it to build a solid base off of.

thanks for the props btw!  ;D

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 06:11:32 PM »
there are very muscular powerlifters out there who are ripped and those guys have learned to train like powerlifters and more importantly EAT LIKE BODYBUILDERS, that's why they stay lean and muscular, one of my old training partners competed in the old APF at 165 and was as muscular as any bodybuilder under 200 pounds i've ever seen and he was meticulous about his diet plus he did some more reps on assistance movements in addition to the powerlifts.

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 06:29:26 PM »
bingo. look at matt kroc and those guys. the reason a lot of PLs are "slobs" is because they're going to be superheavies anyway, so they don't have much reason to try and stay lean.

or hell, look at shawn lattimer or mike wolfe. former superheavies dropping into the 308s and still strong as all hell. it's a misnomer that you can't stay in good shape and get crazy strong, that's a perception that comes around thanks to the most visible competitors being the heaviest guys. take a look at competitors in the 242s or below and you'll see some incredibly strong mofos with visible abs.

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2008, 07:18:04 PM »
bingo. look at matt kroc and those guys. the reason a lot of PLs are "slobs" is because they're going to be superheavies anyway, so they don't have much reason to try and stay lean.

or hell, look at shawn lattimer or mike wolfe. former superheavies dropping into the 308s and still strong as all hell. it's a misnomer that you can't stay in good shape and get crazy strong, that's a perception that comes around thanks to the most visible competitors being the heaviest guys. take a look at competitors in the 242s or below and you'll see some incredibly strong mofos with visible abs.

The misconception of lean = weak is also attributed to peoples strength levels when dieting down. Most people, as squad said, simply dont eat right while moving down in weight. Yes, it is harder to move down in weight and retain strength than it is to just shed pounds without a care.

I will be working to move down 30+lbs this spring. Wish me luck!

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2008, 05:08:53 AM »
Kul guys. Now from what iv read on wicked s thread westside might be overkill, and too much work for a non juicer,yes/no??

Have u got any routines for me, rememeber im used to alot of intense work and pushing myself v hard from all my DC work, so its not like i need to start off with a newbie 'break in gently' routine. Iv been interested in following something like wickeds?!

So to clarify aswell, we all agree that u can maintain strength while dropping weight, but will powerlifting (powerbuilding) help me reach my size goals?

I mean im just shy of the 15 stone mark, 210 to my american brothers. and i wanna get up around 16 before i even feel better about my weight (im 6'1....so 15 stone aint that heavy). Now i could stick with DC and it would probabaly get me there by the years end, but i wana use wat iv learnt with reagrds to intensity and diet (il keep same diet-high high protein, mod carbs), and make this work.

I.e. get strong and big (simple as that lol).

davie

BFP

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2008, 10:39:40 PM »
Kul guys. Now from what iv read on wicked s thread westside might be overkill, and too much work for a non juicer,yes/no??

Have u got any routines for me, rememeber im used to alot of intense work and pushing myself v hard from all my DC work, so its not like i need to start off with a newbie 'break in gently' routine. Iv been interested in following something like wickeds?!

So to clarify aswell, we all agree that u can maintain strength while dropping weight, but will powerlifting (powerbuilding) help me reach my size goals?

I mean im just shy of the 15 stone mark, 210 to my american brothers. and i wanna get up around 16 before i even feel better about my weight (im 6'1....so 15 stone aint that heavy). Now i could stick with DC and it would probabaly get me there by the years end, but i wana use wat iv learnt with reagrds to intensity and diet (il keep same diet-high high protein, mod carbs), and make this work.

I.e. get strong and big (simple as that lol).

davie

Westside is fine for a non juicer if you know how to control your volume and guage your own recovery.  It is harder to do, but by no means is it for roid boys only.

Jason

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2008, 08:15:16 AM »
OK jason, thanks 4 clearing that up.

Any routines ud throw my way?

davie

BFP

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2008, 07:33:41 PM »
OK jason, thanks 4 clearing that up.

Any routines ud throw my way?

davie

gimme a day or 2.

Jason

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2008, 10:15:08 PM »
Westside is fine for a non juicer if you know how to control your volume and guage your own recovery.  It is harder to do, but by no means is it for roid boys only.

Jason

I'll agree with that.  I discovered westside just a couple of years ago, and it took me almost a year to figure it out.  Once I got things  figured out, I've made the most consistant gains ever in my life. 

I do have to watch myself, because its easy to over do it---especially if we are using bands or if I'm feeling really good.... one set becomes two and two becomes 5.  You can beat the crap out of yourself training westside, but in the end, if you approach it logically and think things through, you are going to get stronger. 

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2008, 03:07:00 AM »
Thanks vet, sounds like uv learnt alot through urn own xperiences.

Cheers jason, i appreciate that, thought i should let u know that i dont have access (for the moment) to bacnds/chains etc.

And havnt used them before.

davie

BFP

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2008, 05:19:59 PM »
Thanks vet, sounds like uv learnt alot through urn own xperiences.

Cheers jason, i appreciate that, thought i should let u know that i dont have access (for the moment) to bacnds/chains etc.

And havnt used them before.

davie

Louie was pumping out HUGE numbers long before he discovered chains and bands.  They are just a tool in the arsenal, not a means to an end.

Jason

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2008, 02:49:31 AM »
Kul, look foreward to hearing from u.

davie

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2008, 01:56:54 PM »
yeah louie is the godfather for a reason! :D

you asked me to give you an idea as to how my split routine was... in this forum there's a westside template i posted ahwile back that I would suggest trying out first for awhile and long y our gains then modifiy it down as you see fit! I found that I have to press heavy in the bnech to keep gaining and growing in it with 90% or better work on ME days but the conjugate method is doing great things for my lower body overall too.

Just gotta experiment and find what works for you the best bro!

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2008, 07:15:58 PM »

Jason

well unless i'm mistaken westside is more of a theory than a template. it's the dynamic/max, focus on your weaknesses and rotate your main lifts idea. as opposed to say, metal militia, which is so intense that even the juicers need to take frequent breaks from it.