Author Topic: 28 Days Later  (Read 4058 times)

BayGBM

• Getbig V
28 Days Later
« on: March 26, 2008, 08:10:02 AM »
i think this is one of the best zombie films since Romero's classic Night of the Living Dead (1968).  Anyone agree?  You can watch some (or all) of it on hulu for free.   http://www.hulu.com/watch/14177/28-days-later

Like many horror films, it tends to fall off a cliff near the end, but overall I give it a 9/10 within the zombie genre.

Do not mistake this film for 28 weeks later which had a brilliant concept (repopulating England after the Rage) but horrible execution.  Danny Boyle Directed 28 Days; he did not direct 28 Weeks.

Stark

• Getbig V
Re: 28 Days Later
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 10:22:26 AM »
i think this is one of the best zombie films since Romero's classic Night of the Living Dead (1968).  Anyone agree?  You can watch some (or all) of it on hulu for free.   http://www.hulu.com/watch/14177/28-days-later

Like many horror films, it tends to fall off a cliff near the end, but overall I give it a 9/10 within the zombie genre.

Do not mistake this film or 28 weeks later which had a brilliant concept (repopulating England after the Rage) but horrible execution.  Danny Boyle Directed 28 Days; he did not direct 28 Weeks.

Agreed 28 days later was way superiour than 28 weeks later, however I liked the part in the small farm house.
And the scene were the Pilot steers the Helicopter into the mass of Zombies was hillarious (at least I was one of the very few in a fully packt cinema who laughed)
But from a sheer creep and scary impact 28 DAYS is much better, especially the scene were they break down in the tunnel and they come running at them.

Have you watched the Movie *(cannot remember the name) were Humans cannot reproduce anymore and the whole world is falling apart? Awesome movie... was it called mankind or something similar?

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 11:28:03 AM »
I love zombie/apocalyptic films so I did see Children of Men http://imdb.com/title/tt0206634/ but I have to say I was a little disappointed.  I loved the premise of the story, but the film didn't work for me.  I went into it with high expectations; everyone I knew raved about it and told me I HAD to see it.  Who knows, I might like it better the second time around.  Like all art, sometimes it has to grow on you...

I think 28 Weeks Later would have been a better film if they had brought back some of the characters from 28 Days and stuck with the writer of the first film, Alex Garland.

I rented 28 Days Later before I started ripping DVDs so I don't have a copy of it on my HD; it's cool to be able to see it on hulu.com for free

Stark

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 12:09:29 PM »
I love zombie/apocalyptic films so I did see Children of Men http://imdb.com/title/tt0206634/ but I have to say I was a little disappointed.  I loved the premise of the story, but the film didn't work for me.  I went into it with high expectations; everyone I knew raved about it and told me I HAD to see it.  Who knows, I might like it better the second time around.  Like all art, sometimes it has to grow on you...

I think 28 Weeks Later would have been a better film if they had brought back some of the characters from 28 Days and stuck with the writer of the first film, Alex Garland.

I rented 28 Days Later before I started ripping DVDs so I don't have a copy of it on my HD; it's cool to be able to see it on hulu.com for free

Absolutely and I fully understand what you mean with Children of men, I went into the movie with to high expectation as well, I was kinda expecting an epic movie like Blade runner or similar, some epic end of the world Apocalyptic movie, I agree as well that the story was super I believe it was TOO complex and sometimes that makes things too complicated for the Director.

IMHO I think they should have never made sequel of 28 days, sometimes you just have to leave it.
One of the very few sequels I know who actually delivered were Alien2 and 3 apart from that most sequels suck big time.

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 12:15:22 PM »
Thought 28 Days Later was good - haven't seen 28 Weeks Later - will do though.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2008, 02:35:46 PM »
Absolutely and I fully understand what you mean with Children of men, I went into the movie with to high expectation as well, I was kinda expecting an epic movie like Blade runner or similar, some epic end of the world Apocalyptic movie, I agree as well that the story was super I believe it was TOO complex and sometimes that makes things too complicated for the Director.

IMHO I think they should have never made sequel of 28 days, sometimes you just have to leave it.
One of the very few sequels I know who actually delivered were Alien2 and 3 apart from that most sequels suck big time.

I disagree.  The premise of the story for 28 Weeks was credible and excellent:  The Rage is over and now the country needs to be repopulated.  Healthy people start to file back into the country... but something goes wrong. 

The strength of the first movie and the weakness of the second show the value of a good script and director.  The people handling the second film were simply not up to snuff.  :-[

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 03:32:01 PM »
He's talking about doing another one....have u seen the new one "Doomsday".
L

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2008, 03:40:14 PM »
I loved 28 days later, 28 weeks later was pretty good too i thought.

28 Days later set the benchmark for the whole zombie horror genre. A lot have been done since then, but all seem too familiar now, which kind of makes them forgettable. The intensity and "on the edge of your seat" by 28 days later is, i reckon, unmatched in any other zombie film. England seems to be the best at zombie films.
No doubt about it...

Brixtonbulldog

• Getbig V
  • TAKE YO FUCKING JACKET WIT YA
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2008, 05:30:32 PM »
I believe Dawn of the Dead was better for pure entertainment value but 28 days was an excellent movie.  28 weeks wasn't as good but was ok.

Shawn of the Dead was hilarious..

"There's a gil in the gahden."

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2008, 10:26:36 PM »
I believe Dawn of the Dead was better for pure entertainment value but 28 days was an excellent movie.  28 weeks wasn't as good but was OK.

Shawn of the Dead was hilarious..

"There's a gil in the gahden."

Hahaha, classic movie. ;D

Whats interesting is that it actually made the list of the best 250 movies at IMDB. Ive never really been a fan of comedy-horror, but Shaun of the dead is one of my favourite movies.
No doubt about it...

Stark

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2008, 11:42:47 PM »
He's talking about doing another one....have u seen the new one "Doomsday".

Doomsday is going to be uttler shit trust me I have a nose for movies and I'm usually right, I have seen the
Trailer and it looks super cheesy.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2008, 07:01:35 AM »
I'm not expecting greatness...just entertainment. They're making another Day of the Dead which looks horrible but I'll watch.
L

Stark

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2008, 07:33:49 AM »
I'm not expecting greatness...just entertainment. They're making another Day of the Dead which looks horrible but I'll watch.

I think it;s called Diary of the Dead, it's already out, Director Romero and yes the movie is very much as
Cloverfield = Shaky camera ect.

Haven't seen it.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2008, 09:36:09 AM »
28 Weeks later is now available on hulu http://www.hulu.com/browse/genre/movies

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2008, 07:17:46 AM »
I think it;s called Diary of the Dead, it's already out, Director Romero and yes the movie is very much as
Cloverfield = Shaky camera ect.

Haven't seen it.

No thats his new one..there is another one based on the original Romero story where they're stuck in the underground mil base. This one is another remake and has very little to do with the original.
L