Author Topic: zma = worthless  (Read 2296 times)

Kegdrainer

• Getbig IV
  • team yeah buddy
zma = worthless
« on: April 22, 2008, 08:03:12 PM »
http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=2129161

double blind study shows increase in serum zinc levels, but no improvement in body hormones, 1rm on bench or leg press, aerobic activity, etc....

waste of money.

Necrosis

• Getbig V
Re: zma = worthless
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 08:21:35 PM »
one study is hardly enough to base much off, there are multiple studies showing SSRIS are shit, do you want to through them out to?

i doubt it has effect on hormones to be honest.

pac-man

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 09:09:09 PM »
I've taken ZMA for years and I use it for one reason.  It helps me sleep.  I really noticed the difference when I stopped taking it.  For the twelve bucks it cost a month, I feel it is a worthwhile supplement. 

Beyond that I'm sure that it is not going to put on tons of muscle on a person though it can help prevent a deficeincy. 

phemonmmill32

• Getbig III
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2008, 11:00:05 PM »
that's not what romo said, nor victor conte. i agree, just another supp to waste money on unless you get  the sleeping effects, which i didn't notice

AVBG

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2008, 11:10:27 PM »
what were you expecting? supps like ZMA don't promise extraordinary gains/results.

Determinator

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2008, 03:26:23 AM »
I have taken ZMA for a while, by Primaforce. I'd definitely recommend it. Yes, it won't put much on you in the way of muscle, however, it definitely gives a deeper sleep. The dreams that you have on it are unreal. That deeper sleep induces better recovery, which in turn can lead to better gains. Personally, I rate it, and that's a lot considering that I think that the majority of supplements just constitute money down the drain.

busyB

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Have a Nice Day!
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2008, 08:42:10 AM »

double blind study shows increase in serum zinc levels, but no improvement in body hormones, 1rm on bench or leg press, aerobic activity, etc....

waste of money.

Nah, works very well for me. Deep sleep, wake refreshed and a good way to increase my zinc to about 50 mg. total for the day.

I am not looking at it to increase test, just keep me from being deficient in zinc, therefore helping me recover better! 

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2008, 01:25:34 PM »
Also great at helping healthy sperm production

Kegdrainer

• Getbig IV
  • team yeah buddy
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2008, 03:19:21 PM »
there was another company that did a study that showed increases in hormone levels, but Conte (balco) had a financial stake in the company that did the study, so they kinda are suspect for testing his specific formulation and its results.

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2008, 03:32:55 PM »

waste of money.

i've  always liked it..especially the fact that i slept very well on it for some reason... and my dreams were extremely vivid but faded when i stopped taking it. It was never very expensive...and didn't seem to do any harm. But i was always taking it wiht other things so i couldn't tell ya if it worked or not..but better, deeper sleep always means better recovery.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2008, 11:36:52 AM »
However, no significant differences were observed between groups in anabolic or catabolic hormone status, body composition, 1-RM bench press and leg press, upper or lower body muscular endurance, or cycling anaerobic capacity.

So there was no improvement over 8 weeks?  With or without ZMA, anyone training diligently is going to show some improvement.  That makes this study a little suspect.

Nah, works very well for me. Deep sleep, wake refreshed and a good way to increase my zinc to about 50 mg. total for the day.

I am not looking at it to increase test, just keep me from being deficient in zinc, therefore helping me recover better! 

I think 40mg/day is the recommended ceiling B, with something like 11mg being the RDA.  Guess it depends how hard your girl is working you.

iron_dawg

• Getbig III
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2008, 03:15:18 PM »
I've taken ZMA for years and I use it for one reason.  It helps me sleep.  I really noticed the difference when I stopped taking it.  For the twelve bucks it cost a month, I feel it is a worthwhile supplement. 

Beyond that I'm sure that it is not going to put on tons of muscle on a person though it can help prevent a deficeincy. 
i agree with you there puts me out

busyB

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Have a Nice Day!
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2008, 08:44:59 PM »

I think 40mg/day is the recommended ceiling B, with something like 11mg being the RDA.  Guess it depends how hard your girl is working you.

Uh, oh....I am screwed :'(

candidizzle

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= TRB953
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2008, 09:26:31 PM »
lo yeah busyb, your killin your liver with all that zinc bro lol

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2008, 09:37:22 PM »
Uh, oh....I am screwed :'(

Nah, you'll just die with healthy sperm!

busyB

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Have a Nice Day!
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2008, 11:57:29 AM »
Nah, you'll just die with healthy sperm!

Thank the LORD!!  ;D

I won't be done screwin' when I die!!!