Author Topic: giant mastiff + small owner = hilarity  (Read 4787 times)

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
giant mastiff + small owner = hilarity
« on: April 23, 2008, 09:13:49 AM »
in one of my classes there's this woman named louise, about middle-aged and really a cool person. anyway, we got to talking pets a while ago and she mentioned she owned mastiffs. three of them. now this woman is 5'1" or so and can't weigh more than 100 pounds.

my question: how in the world can someone that small possibly take care of a dog, let alone THREE, that big??  ;D ;D

knny187

• Getbig V
Re: giant mastiff + small owner = hilarity
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 09:19:54 AM »
She likes a larger than life personality.

Alot of people like big dogs. 

There's a person on this site that has three big dogs too.

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 09:21:36 AM »
I'll bet she'd have a real problem if one of those big dogs got off its leash and ran down the street

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 09:40:18 AM »
I'll bet she'd have a real problem if one of those big dogs got off its leash and ran down the street

considering the biggest one is about twice her weight, i think she'd be in trouble even if he ran down the street ON the leash!

danielson

• Getbig V
  • Basile likes young lads
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 09:42:13 AM »
in one of my classes there's this woman named louise, about middle-aged and really a cool person. anyway, we got to talking pets a while ago and she mentioned she owned mastiffs. three of them. now this woman is 5'1" or so and can't weigh more than 100 pounds.

my question: how in the world can someone that small possibly take care of a dog, let alone THREE, that big??  ;D ;D

Thats a big fkn dog.
E

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2008, 10:36:39 AM »

While I am 5'6" and slightly more than 100 pounds 8)  I can walk 2 Full Great Danes, and Dane mix, and a Chihuahua together.  I tandem the 3 big dogs together so only one leash for them and the Chi on a seperate leash.   I obviously try and avoid other dogs, but have had an off leash dog jump into my pile and had to deal with that which is not fun.  Luckily my dogs are other dog friendly so they don't try and attack other dogs.

But if they all decided they wanted to go after a squirrel it would be tough to hold them all.
              :P

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2008, 01:36:28 PM »
thats huge

imagine the shits it takes.

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2008, 02:17:28 PM »

I can walk 2 Full Great Danes, and Dane mix, and a Chihuahua together. 

your dogs run away from you because they hate you

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2008, 02:25:34 PM »
naw...it's because they saw some food that never had 4 legs at one point in it's life & were curious about it

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2008, 02:35:47 PM »
happy/content/well feed dogs don't run away.......

I'll bet flower just beats the crap out of  those poor dogs behind closed doors.

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2008, 04:04:46 PM »

While I am 5'6" and slightly more than 100 pounds 8)  I can walk 2 Full Great Danes, and Dane mix, and a Chihuahua together.  I tandem the 3 big dogs together so only one leash for them and the Chi on a seperate leash.   I obviously try and avoid other dogs, but have had an off leash dog jump into my pile and had to deal with that which is not fun.  Luckily my dogs are other dog friendly so they don't try and attack other dogs.

But if they all decided they wanted to go after a squirrel it would be tough to hold them all.
              :P

I'm a 300+ lb powerlifter.  I will not walk my 3 dogs (two 60 lb pitbulls and a 138 lb Dogo) at one time becuase of the risk of something bad happening.  All it takes is for a leash to get tangled and I could end up with a broken finger.  Its not worth it.  Honestly flower, considering your size, my first thought is that you are half a nut to walk that many dogs that size at one time.  its just asking for them to take off and drag you like a little doll behind them. 

Now that said, I don't know your dogs and how well trained they are.  They may very well be angels on a leash.  It just seems like its asking for trouble because you never know what some other asshole is going to do. 

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2008, 06:38:13 PM »
first of all...I will like to say I was just kidding & goofing around with the food joke.  Just fun & games.

secondly....Vet.....have you seen the video of flower on roller skates as a child?

I don't think she has a fear of falling down.

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2008, 06:57:00 PM »
I'm a 300+ lb powerlifter.  I will not walk my 3 dogs (two 60 lb pitbulls and a 138 lb Dogo) at one time becuase of the risk of something bad happening.  All it takes is for a leash to get tangled and I could end up with a broken finger.  Its not worth it.  Honestly flower, considering your size, my first thought is that you are half a nut to walk that many dogs that size at one time.  its just asking for them to take off and drag you like a little doll behind them. 

Now that said, I don't know your dogs and how well trained they are.  They may very well be angels on a leash.  It just seems like its asking for trouble because you never know what some other asshole is going to do. 

augh, you just reminded me.

a friend of mine has a big ol' great dane. big bastard, real beautiful looking. got him off of someone else for practically nothing. played the "I have big tough dog" card and got one of those little collars with metal pyramids on it and a chain link lead, right?

well he's out walking the guy and the dog suddenly wants to chase something, and PULLS on the lead. my poor buddy had his hand in a loop of metal chain linking and totally got his hand fucked up by it. at least one finger broken, because he had a slipknot at the end that his hand was in suddenly went closed. real ugly, had that splint dealie with popsicle sticks and bandages taped all around it for about two weeks.

lesson: careful with big dogs, and chain leads are stupid.  :P

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2008, 07:34:12 PM »
I swear by prong/pinch collars.

Our dog is so well behaved now....All we have to use is just use a choker now.  With a little applied effort...100% control all the time.

#1 Rule....make sure it's in proper position being nice & high.

#2....quick abrupt tugs work the best.

Alex23

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2008, 07:36:06 PM »
She should present and see what happens.

Could be the best she ever had.

After magoo of course.

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2008, 07:43:52 PM »
I swear by prong/pinch collars.

Our dog is so well behaved now....All we have to use is just use a choker now.  With a little applied effort...100% control all the time.

#1 Rule....make sure it's in proper position being nice & high.

#2....quick abrupt tugs work the best.

doesn't that make him fear you more than, you know, respect or whatever? choke chains always concerned me because it seemed like they learn by fear and that's just not the emotion i want my dog to have when i interact with him.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2008, 07:51:32 PM »
doesn't that make him fear you more than, you know, respect or whatever? choke chains always concerned me because it seemed like they learn by fear and that's just not the emotion i want my dog to have when i interact with him.

nope...doesn't make him fear me...just respect me.  Trust me....if it's not on right...he could pull like a mad man.

Just having it in the right postion makes all the difference.

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2008, 08:03:32 PM »
nope...doesn't make him fear me...just respect me.  Trust me....if it's not on right...he could pull like a mad man.

Just having it in the right postion makes all the difference.

hm. i may have to reconsider purchasing one for mine, then. my big fear is being too strict and not using enough of the "positive reinforcement" idea, leaving him fearful of me instead of just learning the rules. but then, i have a lot to learn about dogs, this is my first. :P

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2008, 08:07:23 PM »
first of all...I will like to say I was just kidding & goofing around with the food joke.  Just fun & games.

secondly....Vet.....have you seen the video of flower on roller skates as a child?

I don't think she has a fear of falling down.

I really didn't mean anything negative to Flower with my post.  I apologize if it was taken that way. 

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2008, 08:10:19 PM »

You are less likely to injure a dog with a properly placed prong collar than a choke chain.  I've seen dogs with tracheal injuries from a dumbass owner yanking on the chain like an idiot. 

I've also seen dogs (my male pit was one) where they'd just tighten up their neck muscles and pull harder with the choke chain on.  It didn't really choke him.  He did behave very well with a prong collar. 

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2008, 09:10:10 PM »
You are less likely to injure a dog with a properly placed prong collar than a choke chain.  I've seen dogs with tracheal injuries from a dumbass owner yanking on the chain like an idiot. 

I've also seen dogs (my male pit was one) where they'd just tighten up their neck muscles and pull harder with the choke chain on.  It didn't really choke him.  He did behave very well with a prong collar. 

prong collar? i'll have to look that up. i've got a month to make sure i've got all my supplies ready, i admit to not knowing what a "prong collar" is though.  ???

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2008, 04:04:09 AM »
I really didn't mean anything negative to Flower with my post.  I apologize if it was taken that way. 

No, it wasn't, you have a point I have thought of many times.  I am constantly looking for off leash dogs.  Most people see us coming so I have seen people get their dog that was out off a leash.  I will cross the street if I have to.

I don't have 2-4 hours a day to walk dogs.  To take them one at a time or 2 at a time there just isn't enough time in the day.  Especially during the week.  On the weekend it is more doable, but even then I'd like to get them all in an extra walk instead of just splitting them up.   Plus for me all that walking re-aggravates a hamstring problem I have had. 

Surprisingly they are pretty good on our walks, I get compliments all the time at how well behaved they are.  At home they are worse - lol!!   Since the 3 are tandemed together on one lead it is easier to control and no tangles, plus it forces them to keep going along because the other 2 are going, so we don't have a lot of trying to go here and there.  We have a few spots that are like a smallish park and that is where they get to be all sniffy and go from tree to tree, on the actual walk part we just go forward like a freight train!    The female Dane (Addie) and my Dane mix (Briona) are on prong collars, they are the 2 steam engines, and Addie is more apt to use her weight than all of them, but on the prong she is much much better.

But, you are right, it is other people and their off leash dogs that are my concern.  I can control my dogs, they are on leashes, I can't control everyone else's.

I already have one messed up finger from a leash around it and 140# pulling on it, but that incident happened during a bath.  2 years ago and it still hurts almost daily.   >:(     I watch my fingers pretty good now!!  And make sure I grab a lead and not a collar if I want to have more control, I don't even want to think about getting a finger in a prong link and the dog moving the wrong way!  SNAP!!  :o

Magoo- I would wait and see what type of collar you need before getting a prong or something.  A flat collar or martingale (half choke) may be fine.   

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2008, 06:02:12 AM »

Did you hook up? :D

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2008, 07:34:53 AM »
prong collar? i'll have to look that up. i've got a month to make sure i've got all my supplies ready, i admit to not knowing what a "prong collar" is though.  ???

Prongs are good....but Like Vet said & I'll say it....

Make sure you have someone show you properly how to use it.  It can only take seconds for someone to go over it with you.

Do a youtube search...someone may have posted a good example.

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2008, 10:42:48 AM »

Prongs are good....but Like Vet said & I'll say it....

Make sure you have someone show you properly how to use it.  It can only take seconds for someone to go over it with you.

Do a youtube search...someone may have posted a good example.

I still have to laugh at some of the guys from Brooklyn who would come to the vaccine clinics complaining that the prong collars didn't work at all on their rockweilers or pitbulls and they were only good for keeping another dog from biting theirs----every one of them had the collars on backwards with the prongs pointing out.  ;D