Author Topic: Scraping knees and shins on deadlift  (Read 11783 times)

Boost

• Getbig V
Scraping knees and shins on deadlift
« on: May 01, 2008, 03:59:57 PM »
I deadlift in a pair of sweat pants, and im noticing im scraping my knees when i lower the barbell on the deadlift, this is resulting in scabs on my knees/lower quads. any tips?

PANDAEMONIUM

• Getbig V
  • Scourge of the Northern Gods
Re: Scraping knees and shins on deadlift
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 04:18:42 PM »
Bro, if you whine this much about getting a minor scrape, what are you gonna do if you ever get a REAL injury?

Boost

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008, 04:23:51 PM »
hopefully i won't get an injury  :P
So u get the same (scabs) and just put up with it?

PANDAEMONIUM

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 04:26:17 PM »

Wear sweatpants if you must, to keep the knurling from scratching the shins.  But remember, a little blood never hurt anybody.  And whatever you do, don't use lifting gloves.  Non-calloused hands are for fagg&ts ;D

Boost

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2008, 04:32:03 PM »
what about straps? im at a point now where i can do 315 x 5 and im finding my grip is gettin real weak for the last couple of reps. Would it be best to start using straps?

Emmortal

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2008, 04:55:59 PM »
what about straps? im at a point now where i can do 315 x 5 and im finding my grip is gettin real weak for the last couple of reps. Would it be best to start using straps?

Straps are fine.  Sweatpants will help with scraping up your shins.

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2008, 11:21:26 PM »

get yourself some chalk and you probably won't be out lifting your grip

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2008, 11:55:47 PM »
pulling in sweatpants is a terrible idea if you're scraping your legs, because the friction is going to slow you down. wear some shorts, put water on your shins if you need to, and deal with it. my shins don't even grow hair any more thanks to pulling.  :P

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2008, 12:10:25 AM »

dont listen to these 'war heroes' who think you have to be HARDCORE to workout. its just testosterone mentality.

if your scraping your knees, ur bending the knees too early. in deadlift lowering phase, you lower with the upperbody, followed by a bend of the knees once the bar reaches knee height. try to always keep the knees inline with the toes or preferably a bit further back to the sole of the foot (does this make sense?). this will help prevent the bar scraping the knees/shins, and is better for your ankles too.

deadlift is like squat - u try to keep the lower legs straight, and just bend at the knees.

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2008, 11:08:28 AM »
who the hell scrape their knees when they deadlift ?

???

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2008, 11:21:45 AM »
who the hell scrape their knees when they deadlift ?

???

i remember a video of one of bolton's WRs where you can see his shin start bleeding.

knees are a bit weird, though. i agree with GA that if you're catching your KNEES you need to fix your form, but hitting your shins is usually par for the course.

Emmortal

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2008, 11:26:30 AM »
pulling in sweatpants is a terrible idea if you're scraping your legs, because the friction is going to slow you down. wear some shorts, put water on your shins if you need to, and deal with it. my shins don't even grow hair any more thanks to pulling.  :P

The friction really isn't going to slow you down enough to be a factor.  At least it's never been for me.  I don't wear huge wooly sweatpants though, their the thin nylon type.  The bar slides easily along the material.

ATOMIC

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2008, 02:14:19 PM »
unfortunately some of us really can't get around the scrapes due to the length of out knees to torso ratio. Try an alternate grip one hand over the top and the other underhande and you will be fine. Also with this type of grip don't reach straight down for the bar rather grip at about opposing 45 degree angles so and grab tighlty so that when you begin to pull up it will feel as if the skin of the palms is going to pull off (don't worry it won't) You can put tape down your shins if you want or wear sweatpants or bleed. i simply think it is good that you haven't forgotten a great exercise in your schedule. Sadly, most gym warriors have...
Lastly, practice, practice, practice great form with a lighter weight until your hips feel loose and you will never have an injury and always look up!

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2008, 02:20:23 PM »
i remember a video of one of bolton's WRs where you can see his shin start bleeding.

knees are a bit weird, though. i agree with GA that if you're catching your KNEES you need to fix your form, but hitting your shins is usually par for the course.

I honestly can't remember a time where I've ever had the bar hit anything but thigh when I lock out

triple_pickle

• Getbig IV
  • Pull Hard, Move Fast
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2008, 03:32:32 PM »
keep the bar a bit away from the knees ::) ::) ::)

PANDAEMONIUM

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2008, 03:38:38 PM »
dont listen to these 'war heroes' who think you have to be HARDCORE to workout. its just testosterone mentality.

This ain't knitting class, dumbass, it's strength training.  You sound like the kind of guy who wears lifting gloves and douses his hands with moisturizer after every workout just so you can have smooth skin ::)

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2008, 06:59:07 PM »
This ain't knitting class, dumbass, it's strength training.  You sound like the kind of guy who wears lifting gloves and douses his hands with moisturizer after every workout just so you can have smooth skin ::)
hahahhhaaa brutal PANDAE!!! but so true..... ;D

Booster!!!!! Deal with it bro, just stay at 315 until the weight doesn't hit your knees anymore.

I tag a knee every now and then when I get to heavier weights......who cares?
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2008, 08:25:28 PM »
this isnt world war 2 either, grandpa. spare us with your war stories about how you 'bled for us bitches'. the gym is a place to get fit/strong/bigger, not to get cuts all over yourself. if you have a fixation with bleeding and getting hurt, try taking up mma fighting or joining a massochist club.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2008, 08:49:23 PM »
this isnt world war 2 either, grandpa. spare us with your war stories about how you 'bled for us bitches'. the gym is a place to get fit/strong/bigger, not to get cuts all over yourself. if you have a fixation with bleeding and getting hurt, try taking up mma fighting or joining a massochist club.
Settle down "Gonegay" it's only the internet.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2008, 08:59:05 PM »
maybe goneaway should reach down into the back of his shorts and lend booster some vasaline

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2008, 11:04:33 PM »
sigh.

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2008, 01:03:25 AM »
Quote from: GoneAway link=topic=213007.msg2952914#msg2 952914 date=1209785128

dude if you're in the business of getting bigger and stronger you're going to have to deal with a raked up midsection from a tight belt, scraped shins from pulling, torn up hands, etc. it has nothing to do with being "macho" it's just something you cope with.

i didn't bleed for anyone, i just realize that if i wanna get the biggest lifts i can, now and again i'm going to have to suck it up and deal with a little nick on my shin or a ripped callus.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2008, 08:36:02 AM »
DL's are not meant for everyone, including Romanian, Sumo, the  one legged Bulgarian version or even the old style Jefferson lift. Of course using a trap bar (true Olympic style) would solve just about everything. Shin scraps and the knees getting in the way. Also offer a better, more natural hand position. All this is less strain on the back because you are not leaning too much forward trying to not hit the shins & knees. Sweats will not help that much. To the extreme, you could use shin guards.. Or maybe get a pair of those farmer walk devices and fine a way to add extra plates on them. Could probably make up a pair your self or have fab/weld shop do it for you.

Every PL'er I have seen, or known, will kiss those shins every once in a while with the bar. Even among the top class lifters. Usually when their tired at the end of a maxed out workout. Kind of like a badge of honor with a lot of lifters. A little blood, a little pain can be a little price paid for getting huge and strong.  Guy's who handle heavier weight on a regular bases will get the occasional torn palm or maybe even finger tips. You will heal, these are only minor things. Got to look at the big picture, like being so large you have to walk through a normal sized door sideways.

If anyone wants to tap his full potential in lifting weight off the floor than try hip/back lifting. Will require a heavy duty hip belt. The weight you can build up to in that lift will make your present PB in the DL look like a warm-up weight. Try for higher reps of 12 to 20 and see what happens size and strength wise. Good Luck.

F

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2008, 08:50:33 PM »
dude if you're in the business of getting bigger and stronger you're going to have to deal with a raked up midsection from a tight belt, scraped shins from pulling, torn up hands, etc. it has nothing to do with being "macho" it's just something you cope with.

i didn't bleed for anyone, i just realize that if i wanna get the biggest lifts i can, now and again i'm going to have to suck it up and deal with a little nick on my shin or a ripped callus.

but a callus and nicked shin is something you can avoid, by wearing gloves and by knowing how to do the deadlift so the bar doesnt touch your shin or knee. i know not everyone wants to wear gloves due to grip, so callus is par for course in that respect, but the shin thing shouldnt be happening often at all. that defeats part of the purpose of training, imo, unless u train purely for strength and dont care about how your body looks

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2008, 12:02:40 AM »
but a callus and nicked shin is something you can avoid, by wearing gloves and by knowing how to do the deadlift so the bar doesnt touch your shin or knee. i know not everyone wants to wear gloves due to grip, so callus is par for course in that respect, but the shin thing shouldnt be happening often at all. that defeats part of the purpose of training, imo, unless u train purely for strength and dont care about how your body looks

1) gloves are a stupid, stupid thing to wear while deadlifting. it is impossible to keep your grip on the bar with maximal weights.

2) if your body mechanics are thus that the bar scrapes your shins, then tough it out. it would be HORRENDOUSLY dumb to try and "fix" your form to  put the bar further in front of you, that's just begging for a lower back injury. speaking as a guy who just recently fucked up his lower back, you can trust me on that.

it's the same school of thought that says "you can avoid scabbed up shoulders by wearing the pad when you squat". well sure, you CAN, but it both sets you up for injury and messes up your ability to lift optimally. you lose either way, unless "lifting heavy" isn't your thing. no flame there either, if you're not going for max sets (be it a set of 12 or a single), then sure you can toy around, but that's just not an option for most of us.