Author Topic: An argument against "slow-go cardio"  (Read 5457 times)

WhiteHulk4

• Getbig III
An argument against "slow-go cardio"
« on: May 20, 2008, 07:51:18 AM »
I read an interesting quote the other day from Alwyn Cosgrove...

"Caring about how much fat is burned during exercise is equivalent to worrying about how much muscle is built during exercise."

Granted I've known this for a long time, but putting it into words like that made so much sense.  Why would you sludge along for hours doing cardio, just to burn the calories during the exercise session? 

When you could do some HIIT, Energy System, or TT Interval training, in 1/4 of the time; and will actually give your metabolism a solid boost - so you burn more calories all day long.

No Patience

• Getbig IV
  • adaptation is the creator of evolution
Re: An argument against "slow-go cardio"
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 01:16:44 PM »

"Caring about how much fat is burned during exercise is equivalent to worrying about how much muscle is built during exercise."

Granted I've known this for a long time, but putting it into words like that made so much sense.  Why would you sludge along for hours doing cardio, just to burn the calories during the exercise session? 

When you could do some HIIT, Energy System, or TT Interval training, in 1/4 of the time; and will actually give your metabolism a solid boost - so you burn more calories all day long.

slow cardio is just marketting so fat people can be encouraged to exercise ;D

Method101

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 02:15:11 PM »
fat is burned most efficiently when the heart rate is kept around 135bpm.

When doing high intensity, your heart rate is obviously not going to be at the  best level for fat burning, probably lose muscle instead.

candidizzle

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= TRB953
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 02:19:19 PM »
fat is burned most efficiently when the heart rate is kept around 135bpm.

When doing high intensity, your heart rate is obviously not going to be at the  best level for fat burning, probably lose muscle instead.

i think the hit cardio proponents supplement their cardio so they supposedly dont break down muscle.

but i prefer the low intenstiy variety myself. i like to know what my body is going to burn, and i like to know what it has burned. and i dont like to take ay chances losing muscle or interfering with leg recovery.

Emmortal

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2008, 03:45:16 PM »
This makes sense if you aren't a bodybuilder, however, for most of us it's irrelevant.

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2008, 04:36:32 PM »

I prefer slow cardio the last few years. I've done the HIIT method, done fast hour long sessions, two a days...etc. But the last few years I prefer to do slower cardio after my workouts. I go slower because after the workout, I don't want to burn muscle or even risk it.

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2008, 04:38:57 PM »
I prefer slow cardio the last few years. I've done the HIIT method, done fast hour long sessions, two a days...etc. But the last few years I prefer to do slower cardio after my workouts. I go slower because after the workout, I don't want to burn muscle or even risk it.
personally i dont even do it post workout.

when you lift weights cortisol is raised andmuscle breakdown occurs, and at the same time glycogen gets depleted.  cardio in that state, while great for fat loss, scares me because of the tendencie for cortisol to eat away muscle espeially in that condition.

i stic to first thing a.m. slow paced walking around the neighborhood.

kukacomone

• Getbig II
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2008, 03:05:38 AM »
Morning cardio is fucking hard to do. :(

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2008, 04:54:35 AM »
Slower cardio is much better IMO.

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
  • "Check my soundscan, Check my instagram"
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2008, 05:11:21 AM »
I have done various cardio routines, walking, running, HIT, walking on incline, stair master, rowing machine. HIT and running were great for quick results, walking is ok, but your diet still has to be in check and you have to be real consistent, with Running (20mins) and HIT (20mins) i dropped weight quick and my diet was ok at best, i cant stay away from bread..

Stairmaster didnt do fuck all for me, im not dissing it but its not for me.
Rowing machine, i just dont like it.

Bobby

• Getbig V
  • is da lordes plan
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2008, 06:47:02 AM »

If that's all you want you may as well just eat 300 calories less a day.

I find it very hard to get below 8% without morning cardio. The body just doesn't want to give up the fat, even in caloric deficiency with or without HIT cardio. With slow morning cardio you are sure the body burns fat, it's impossible not to.

There is a reason pro BBs do it like this, Just ask Bob Chick.

Also with HIT cardio, the body uses some of the calories that would go to your muscles etc...and your calories are already low, you need to feed the muscles and burn the fat. If you eat more to handle the cardio, then what's the point of doing it?

IF you want to get to 4% BF and you are at 8-10% and you're maintenance cals are 2500 and you eat 2000 every day and do no cardio = Keep looking the same, just getting smaller. The body does not want to lose fat voluntarily.

IMHO
tank u jesus

Method101

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2008, 07:08:42 AM »

IF you want to get to 4% BF and you are at 8-10% and you're maintenance cals are 2500 and you eat 2000 every day and do no cardio = Keep looking the same, just getting smaller. The body does not want to lose fat voluntarily.

IMHO
yea alot of the weight you lose on those big calorie defecit diets will be the water from the glycogen molecules and your strength will decline rapidly.. and your bmr will adjust so you will stay the same weight at 2000cals a day eventually.

Better to eat your daily calorie requirement and do 30min cardio at low intensity..

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2008, 07:21:18 AM »
or just run every day for 20 mins, slow walking pisses me off, im in Australia, i do 2 cardio sessions are day 5 days a week ( epic overtraining) i eat normal, keeping muscle but looking harder, and face is leaner, thats my fave part

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2008, 09:23:54 AM »
or just run every day for 20 mins, slow walking pisses me off, im in Australia, i do 2 cardio sessions are day 5 days a week ( epic overtraining) i eat normal, keeping muscle but looking harder, and face is leaner, thats my fave part
i agree best part about low body fat is the sharp edged on the face.  does wonders for self confidence and women seem to love it too.

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2008, 03:11:57 PM »
i agree best part about low body fat is the sharp edged on the face.  does wonders for self confidence and women seem to love it too.
great thing with low body fat is it does tighten the face, some people look like shit with low body fat but there most likely ugly anyway, Lately I have been looking in the mirror and i like that handsome face i see.

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2008, 03:15:26 PM »
great thing with low body fat is it does tighten the face, some people look like shit with low body fat but there most likely ugly anyway, Lately I have been looking in the mirror and i like that handsome face i see.
your words ring true for myself as well !  the greatest part abotu cutting.... just beign ble to look in the mirror and get tingles cuz i dig myself.   ;D  its a good feeling. 

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2008, 03:35:29 PM »
your words ring true for myself as well !  the greatest part abotu cutting.... just beign ble to look in the mirror and get tingles cuz i dig myself.   ;D  its a good feeling. 
most times when im lean i look in the mirror for about 10 mins and think "If i was gay i'd fuck you"

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2008, 03:47:52 PM »
 DUDE !  ;D  ;D haha yes i do that same thing actually. hahah. !    idk maybe its something all bodybuilders have...   well you gotta be self absorbed to some extent to spend as much time on your bbody as we do..    but that confidence is unmatcheable ! 

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2008, 04:22:00 PM »
DUDE !  ;D  ;D haha yes i do that same thing actually. hahah. !    idk maybe its something all bodybuilders have...   well you gotta be self absorbed to some extent to spend as much time on your bbody as we do..    but that confidence is unmatcheable ! 
every body-builder is self absorbed, I am, im like a girl, if i find myself putting on weight on my face i wont go out, thats good, i care bout my physical appearance, unlike most guys that have bellys and are proud, they dont realise there a walking heart attack mixed with type-2 diabetes..i dont really believe in a offseason, im not competing, dont care for being massive which is useless in society.

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2008, 06:20:18 PM »
i stic to first thing a.m. slow paced walking around the neighborhood.

That was the worst method I found for myself. I lost muscle far more by not eating and doing cardio first thing as opposed to now doing it after my workout.
One thing I did try that helped a tad with halting muscle loss & doing cardio first thing, was to eat about half a can of tuna an hour or so prior to the cardio. Little fat, no carbs, and just a bit of protein to stave off catabolism. Still don't like it compared to slower cardio post-workout.
Just my two cents though, I know Candidizzle is going to want change, however.

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2008, 06:25:51 PM »
hey whatever works for you. i take some fish oil before cardio. thats helps tremendously, not just preserving muscle, but too boost fat burning as well. i think its the best non stimulant fat burner available.

fromfattoliving

• Getbig II
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2008, 08:29:33 AM »
I agree its whatever works, I take a long slow walk up 14,000ft mts to get my cardio in and have a nice big lunch with some carbs and a shake a drag my ass back down to get my kick, as for being self absorbed who spends hours in the gym, and time reading and responding on a board like this that isn't? As you can tell by the name I went from over 30%bf 5ft 10 and 240 in Nov 2006 to 12% about a month ago with hard core cardio and serious training and lifting. Now I am 5ft 10 and 198 lbs just saving to get the extra skin cut off now. So I def agree whatever works, Im thinking about writing a book with that title. ha

Purge_WTF

« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2008, 08:47:15 AM »

I've been doing HIT cardio for the past few months now and I'm leaner now than I've ever been. It's tough, though.

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2008, 09:00:06 AM »
I agree its whatever works, I take a long slow walk up 14,000ft mts to get my cardio in and have a nice big lunch with some carbs and a shake a drag my ass back down to get my kick, as for being self absorbed who spends hours in the gym, and time reading and responding on a board like this that isn't? As you can tell by the name I went from over 30%bf 5ft 10 and 240 in Nov 2006 to 12% about a month ago with hard core cardio and serious training and lifting. Now I am 5ft 10 and 198 lbs just saving to get the extra skin cut off now. So I def agree whatever works, Im thinking about writing a book with that title. ha
that skin is more than likely fat bro..keep dieting and doing cardio and youll loe the fat and the skin will tighten up

fromfattoliving

• Getbig II
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2008, 09:11:38 AM »
that skin is more than likely fat bro..keep dieting and doing cardio and youll loe the fat and the skin will tighten up

Nope pretty sure that its skin man! I went from like a 40" waist  I am in the middle of a cutting diet right now and test c only cause thats all I have and I took some advice from the board 400 week so I guess i will find the answer soon enough. I have some nasty stretch marks to prove it and when I pull it you can clearly see the definition in the top rows of my abs and the bottom cut. Its like Mr fantastic style!!!