Author Topic: I took my fiancee to the Ghetto today!  (Read 6347 times)

Hustle Man

• Getbig IV
  • What is the most common form of stupidity?
I took my fiancee to the Ghetto today!
« on: June 17, 2008, 04:09:21 PM »
I am on business travel at in St. Louis this week and I brought the love of my life with me! During my free time today I decided to show my fiancee how the less fortunate lives (East St.Louis). She is naive when it comes to urban America (she is from the highlands of Scotland). She was not afraid at all, she actually went into a local hood rat hang out to buy us afew bottles of juice.

What was funny to me was, if she was originally from the USA she probaby would have stayed away from those type of stores but she went in with full confidence (or naivitiy and actually made friends rather than enemies.

I need a Psych major to decipher this phenom. I don't know if it was her european charm or her just being stand up and unafraid that kepted the ghetto bullies at bey.

I think some of them actually spoke correct english when conversing with her!

(Just goes to show you can change anyone if you are naive but speak to them intelligently!)

WTH folks

What gives here  ???
W

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
Re: I took my fiancee to the Ghetto today!
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 04:44:48 PM »
was it your honeymoon
Z

steveeray

• Getbig III
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 04:46:48 PM »
Marry her!
Also let her know that she needs to be carefull in areas like that though.

drkaje

• Getbig V
  • Quiet, Err. I'm transmitting rage.
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 05:00:01 PM »
You cheap (Estella might edit it)!!!

Taking your girl on a tour of the hood to save money and them pretending it's some cultural event. :)

windsor88

• Getbig IV
  • Victim of the Drug War
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 05:03:07 PM »
You still in town Hustleman? 

I would have bought you guys a drink.

PM me if you roll through again.

Original Sin

• Getbig IV
  • You fucking disappoint me!
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2008, 07:05:15 PM »
niaevety gets girls raped and murdered.
Just Bad Bad Blood!

drkaje

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2008, 07:19:37 PM »
niaevety gets girls raped and murdered.

That could happen anywhere, OS.

In some places they murder ya first. :)

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2008, 10:01:05 PM »
ehh most folks if you talk to them nicely and dont give attitude or anything are really nice regardless of race or economic status, there are the occasional a-holes though. She was probably just being nice and recieving the same back also if shes good looking that never hurts as well.

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2008, 05:56:58 AM »
ehh most folks if you talk to them nicely and dont give attitude or anything are really nice regardless of race or economic status, there are the occasional a-holes though. She was probably just being nice and recieving the same back
agree
R

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2008, 06:07:10 AM »
Did you stop in and see how SF was doing ???

CalvinH,officially licensed woman's board poster

Hustle Man

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2008, 04:24:43 PM »
You still in town Hustleman? 

I would have bought you guys a drink.

PM me if you roll through again.
Windsor88,

Had no idea you were in StL. I will be back out in late Aug or early Sept maybe we can hook up then; let's do Ruth Criss'

We are having dinner with my boss and associates tonight and leaving tomorrow morning.

W

Hustle Man

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2008, 04:25:55 PM »
Did you stop in and see how SF was doing ???

CalvinH,officially licensed woman's board poster

I did not know Squad was in StL either damn!
W

Hustle Man

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2008, 04:40:11 PM »

Taking your girl on a tour of the hood to save money and them pretending it's some cultural event. :)

It was chocked full of laughs but she handled herself very well.

At one point I though about intervening but the locals were very nice to her while she asked for directions and local attractions lol I should have broke out the cmera and made a documentary lol

Scottish accent meets Midwestern American broken english (I don't know which was worst) LMAO!

Okay now time to have dinner with "twice removed" family! Take care people!

HM (not in charge at all this time lol)

W

drkaje

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2008, 07:52:48 AM »
She probably feels good knowing your kids won't grow up in such a harsh place. :)

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2008, 11:06:02 PM »

You are such an incorrigible, jaded, cynical, ...but you have me in hysterics!  ;D
Hustleman, don't listen to them. It's not unusual at all. I've had the exact same thing happen to me too.

Interestingly enough, I've also had others revert back to proper english when they realized I don't speak colloquial ebonics. And in some neighbourhoods I've had others appear nervous when I walk into a room, and just calm down and relax after a few minutes. Trample down the stereotype, but use common sense too.

OS, I could be wrong, ...but I think a woman stands a far greater chance of being raped in a college dorm on a Saturday, by her "boyfriend", than she does simply by walking into an ethnically diverse neighbourhood, or a low income ghetto.
w

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2008, 12:09:05 PM »
And in some neighbourhoods I've had others appear nervous when I walk into a room, and just calm down and relax after a few minutes.

Did they think you were a narc or something?  Why do you think they were nervous when you walked into the room  ???
R

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2008, 01:03:15 PM »
Did they think you were a narc or something?  Why do you think they were nervous when you walked into the room  ???

A narc?! {lol} I guess those stereotypes do die hard don't they?  ;)

No STella, this occured in Beverly Hills and Bel Air, ...and I think they weren't accustomed to Black people.
For some of the people, Blacks were people they saw on TV, and in the nightly news,
...but they never really spoke with one in person. Go figure.  :-\
w

The ChemistV2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2008, 01:16:51 PM »
I am on business travel at in St. Louis this week and I brought the love of my life with me! During my free time today I decided to show my fiancee how the less fortunate lives (East St.Louis). She is naive when it comes to urban America (she is from the highlands of Scotland). She was not afraid at all, she actually went into a local hood rat hang out to buy us afew bottles of juice.

What was funny to me was, if she was originally from the USA she probaby would have stayed away from those type of stores but she went in with full confidence (or naivitiy and actually made friends rather than enemies.

I need a Psych major to decipher this phenom. I don't know if it was her european charm or her just being stand up and unafraid that kepted the ghetto bullies at bey.

(Just goes to show you can change anyone if you are naive but speak to them intelligently!)

WTH folks

What gives here  ???

I hoped that you explained to her how if she were to go alone there at night, and tried being friendly with the "locals", she could probably be gang-raped and murdered. But if you tried to tell that that all she had to do is be sociable with those types, then that was highly irresponsible. Although you've defended low-life criminals in some of your past posts by saying they were victims of unfortunate socio-economic conditions, when statistics and reality clearly show different, if you care about this girl, keep her as far away from that environment as possible. You think it might be cool to show her that you're down with the "homies", but you could be giving her a false sense of security. Take her to nice places with sophisticated people with class. Leave the Ghetto in your past.

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2008, 01:23:23 PM »
A narc?! {lol} I guess those stereotypes do die hard don't they?  ;)

I thought you were saying that the people in the places like Hustle Man took his girl were nervous when you walked into the room!

No STella, this occured in Beverly Hills and Bel Air, ...and I think they weren't accustomed to Black people.
For some of the people, Blacks were people they saw on TV, and in the nightly news,
...but they never really spoke with one in person. Go figure.  :-\
Dang when was this?  Hopefully many many years ago.

Do you have any comments for the following thread:
http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=219696.0
R

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2008, 01:37:01 PM »

WTH folks

What gives here  ???

sending her in there without a peace offering was pretty damned irresponsible of ya

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2008, 02:24:56 PM »
I thought you were saying that the people in the places like Hustle Man took his girl were nervous when you walked into the room!

I know you were, that's why I say stereotypes die hard. I got the distinct impression you associated the neighbourhood with drug dealing. I could be wrong, but all I read from HM's post was that she was in an area where people are less fortunate. He didn't say he took her into command central for the Medellin cartel, just that the neighbourhood was less fortunate.

I could be wrong, since I'm not the most familiar with St. Louis, but what I do know is that there are many areas that consist of lower income people, who simply have less money than others, but that doesn't mean they're not still hard working good people, with self-respect, community pride, and decent values.

BTW - From personal experience, I've noticed most drug dealers are to be found in most of the nicer neighbourhoods. That's how many can afford to live there in the 1st place.  ;)

Dang when was this?  Hopefully many many years ago.

It was a few years back, ...but not as many years back as one would assume.
In fact, relatively speaking I'd say it was rather recent, ...oh well, times are changing.
w

Hustle Man

• Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2008, 05:43:22 PM »
I hoped that you explained to her how if she were to go alone there at night, and tried being friendly with the "locals", she could probably be gang-raped and murdered. But if you tried to tell that that all she had to do is be sociable with those types, then that was highly irresponsible. Although you've defended low-life criminals in some of your past posts by saying they were victims of unfortunate socio-economic conditions, when statistics and reality clearly show different, if you care about this girl, keep her as far away from that environment as possible. You think it might be cool to show her that you're down with the "homies", but you could be giving her a false sense of security. Take her to nice places with sophisticated people with class. Leave the Ghetto in your past.

I think you could have communicated your opinion in a slightly different manor but I respect what you have to say. I was close by and she was in no more harm than I was and yes I do care for her much! I was not showing her that I was "down with the "homies"! There are ghettos here in SO Md. but she is used to them and what better place to show a ghetto then East St Louis.

HM AKA (Ghetto Jones)

Thanks for the concern bro!
W

Hustle Man

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2008, 05:44:43 PM »

sending her in there without a peace offering was pretty damned irresponsible of ya

Oh that's cold bro LMAO!
W

windsor88

• Getbig IV
  • Victim of the Drug War
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2008, 06:47:34 PM »
Here is an article in Time Magazine from 1989  and after 20 years it is much worse.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,957921,00.html

When I was 18 or so in 1988 we used to go by this place called pot in the box.  It was next to a strip club called the Red Garter and Roxy's.  People would be lined up day and night getting weed in $10 sacks that they slid through this little hole from what appeared to be an outhouse.  They had cameras, dudes with guns and some mean ass dogs.  They switched to crack later on though.  >:(

I could seriously write a book on the escapades me and my buddies had in east side.  I skipped my prom to go to a strip club and the Mayor of ESTL at the time was in there getting fucked up.  We were only 17 and nobody cared.  It was a teenagers dream. 

It was a real life New Jack City to be honest...lol.

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2008, 08:04:46 AM »

Interestingly enough, I've also had others revert back to proper english when they realized I don't speak colloquial ebonics. And in some neighbourhoods I've had others appear nervous when I walk into a room, and just calm down and relax after a few minutes.

Since the above sentences were in the same paragraph I assumed you were talking about neighborhoods like HM mentioned in both sentences. 

author=jaguarenterprises link=topic=219765.msg3074264#msg3074264 date=1213997096]
I know you were, that's why I say stereotypes die hard. I got the distinct impression you associated the neighbourhood with drug dealing. I could be wrong, but all I read from HM's post was that she was in an area where people are less fortunate. He didn't say he took her into command central for the Medellin cartel, just that the neighbourhood was less fortunate.

I could be wrong, since I'm not the most familiar with St. Louis, but what I do know is that there are many areas that consist of lower income people, who simply have less money than others, but that doesn't mean they're not still hard working good people, with self-respect, community pride, and decent values.

HM was talking about East St. Louis...and of course there are decent people everywhere but windsor88's article can help you to understand a little better.

BTW - From personal experience, I've noticed most drug dealers are to be found in most of the nicer neighbourhoods. That's how many can afford to live there in the 1st place.  ;)

That may be from your personal experience because those were the types of places you went and yes, they do exist but my police officer friends can assure you that most drug dealers are not found living in nicer neighborhoods.  Although "nicer [neighborhoods]" can be a relative term.
R