Author Topic: Whole body routine  (Read 2696 times)

Slin1

• Getbig IV
Whole body routine
« on: June 19, 2008, 03:02:46 PM »
This seems easy to what i am used to do, what you think?

Workout A                Workout B
Squat 5x5                Squat 5x5
Bench Press 5x5        Overhead Press 5x5
Barbell Row 5x5         Deadlift 1x5
Dips 3xF                   Pull-ups/Chin-ups 3xF
Hams 5xf                  Abs 5xf
calves 4xf                 calves 4xf

3times a week ABA BAB ABA etc
Money drugs and bitches

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
  • Thought is the arrow of time; memory never fades.
Re: Whole body routine
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 04:53:34 PM »

easy? depends on intensity (% of 1RM), and if you use 5x5 with constant weights....trust me those workouts can be brutal. it kinda looks like the pendley/madcow variation of starrs old routine. (altho the madcow routine is ABA every week)

i used those kind of workouts many years ago (these kind of 'fullbody' routines are too much for me nowdays)..if your very strong you cant go "100%" every time.

its a very good routine, as long as you periodize it correctly and understand the factors behind the routine.

candidizzle

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= TRB953
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 04:56:25 PM »
you might consider throwing in some light work on bis tris hams calves and abs every other weekend or something like that

i would do cardiio on the days your not lifting

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2008, 12:34:57 AM »

Slin1, send me your list please.

Slin1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008, 01:23:43 AM »
Slin1, send me your list please.

I'm all natural you ape  >:(

Money drugs and bitches

Slin1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2008, 01:25:58 AM »
you might consider throwing in some light work on bis tris hams calves and abs every other weekend or something like that

i would do cardiio on the days your not lifting

Yes hams calves and abs in the end if i got some energy left
Money drugs and bitches

Slin1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2008, 01:29:43 AM »
easy? depends on intensity (% of 1RM), and if you use 5x5 with constant weights....trust me those workouts can be brutal. it kinda looks like the pendley/madcow variation of starrs old routine. (altho the madcow routine is ABA every week)

i used those kind of workouts many years ago (these kind of 'fullbody' routines are too much for me nowdays)..if your very strong you cant go "100%" every time.

its a very good routine, as long as you periodize it correctly and understand the factors behind the routine.

I'm going light weight on squats bc a bad knee otherwise it's 5x5 with constant weights
Money drugs and bitches

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2008, 01:33:21 AM »
I'm all natural you ape  >:(

yes sure you are "slin1".

you are well known on german message boards...  ::)

Slin1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2008, 01:58:18 AM »
yes sure you are "slin1".

you are well known on german message boards...  ::)

What are babbling about now. I don't even speak German  ???

PS: you got a hushmail?
Money drugs and bitches

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2008, 02:07:13 AM »
What are babbling about now. I don't even speak German  ???

PS: you got a hushmail?

LMFAO

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2008, 05:06:44 AM »
I'm going light weight on squats bc a bad knee otherwise it's 5x5 with constant weights

how strong are you? in many of those kinds of routines your not supposed to do 5x5 with constant weight...4 of the 5 sets are just pyramid sets (up to one top set). in the advanced routines you do 5x5 with constant weight more frequenctly...but then your using a much more aggresive loading pattern and thus you should probably deload more frequently.

like i said there are many variations of the routine you posted. eventho they often look very similar on paper...factors such as constant 5x5 vs 4x5 (basically warm ups)+1x5 (working set) change ALOT.

what weights do you use in the big three?

finally, if your knee is bothering you..then you def shouldnt be doing this kind of routine.

in general, for people who are 'strong' id advice them using an upper/lower set up, working out 3-4 days a week and limiting squatting to twice a week or every fifth day. (unless your doing some kind of powerlifting specialization routine) . if your moving huge weights, squatting three times per week will be too much (for most people), eventho your not going 100% every time.

Slin1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2008, 09:08:05 AM »
how strong are you? in many of those kinds of routines your not supposed to do 5x5 with constant weight...4 of the 5 sets are just pyramid sets (up to one top set). in the advanced routines you do 5x5 with constant weight more frequenctly...but then your using a much more aggresive loading pattern and thus you should probably deload more frequently.

like i said there are many variations of the routine you posted. eventho they often look very similar on paper...factors such as constant 5x5 vs 4x5 (basically warm ups)+1x5 (working set) change ALOT.

what weights do you use in the big three?

finally, if your knee is bothering you..then you def shouldnt be doing this kind of routine.

in general, for people who are 'strong' id advice them using an upper/lower set up, working out 3-4 days a week and limiting squatting to twice a week or every fifth day. (unless your doing some kind of powerlifting specialization routine) . if your moving huge weights, squatting three times per week will be too much (for most people), eventho your not going 100% every time.

Since my knee is injured i b squatting with only 50kg and ad 5-10kg every workout. For the bench i think i can do a 5 with 120kg but i think I'm gonna start with 110kg and do that 5x5 after warm up of course. Don't think i can go very heavy on the deads ether bc of the knee. if i pyramid it i wont get much of a workout
Money drugs and bitches

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2008, 09:19:59 AM »
Since my knee is injured i b squatting with only 50kg and ad 5-10kg every workout. For the bench i think i can do a 5 with 120kg but i think I'm gonna start with 110kg and do that 5x5 after warm up of course. Don't think i can go very heavy on the deads ether bc of the knee. if i pyramid it i wont get much of a workout

is it a real knee injury or you just lazy?

to be honest , i dont think you should do the routine. (cuz its based on you being able to squat) you should read up on the routine.

pick something else.

Slin1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2008, 09:29:57 AM »
is it a real knee injury or you just lazy?

to be honest , i dont think you should do the routine. (cuz its based on you being able to squat) you should read up on the routine.

pick something else.

common now i can walk just fine i allready had the operation i'm gonna make it stronger by squating 3 times a week, or maybe i do it 2times a week then if you think that is better?
Money drugs and bitches

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2008, 09:32:59 AM »
common now i can walk just fine i allready had the operation i'm gonna make it stronger by squating 3 times a week, or maybe i do it 2times a week then if you think that is better?

if it really is an injury and not just weakness of the mind..go ahead do it. for alot of people its just too much to be squatting 3 days a week, and you def shouldnt do 5x5 with constant weight at every workout. once again, read up on the bill starr routine.

maybe it looks easy to you on paper..but i think you will be surprised. (unless you half ass it)

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2008, 09:35:47 AM »

Slin1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2008, 09:41:15 AM »
read this: http://www.geocities.com/elitemadcow1/5x5_Program/Linear_5x5.htm

I've read it before i think my routine is better or at least more fun
Money drugs and bitches

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2008, 09:43:51 AM »
I've read it before i think my routine is better or at least more fun

did you understand it tho? reading your posts on here seems to indicate you didnt..

anyway, good luck with the routine.

Slin1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2008, 09:58:36 AM »
did you understand it tho? reading your posts on here seems to indicate you didnt..

anyway, good luck with the routine.

What do you think is bad with the routine then? Is it only bc i don't pyramid it if i do pyramid the 3 first sets wont do anything
Money drugs and bitches

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2008, 10:02:19 AM »
What do you think is bad with the routine then? Is it only bc i don't pyramid it if i do pyramid the 3 first sets wont do anything

depends on how you set it up.

try it and report back

Slin1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2008, 10:12:10 AM »
depends on how you set it up.

try it and report back

I will. Thanks for your advice
Money drugs and bitches

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2008, 11:31:29 AM »
My ego would never let me not do some isolated work on my arms and traps ;D

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2008, 11:32:33 AM »
i'm gonna make it stronger by squating 3 times a week,

rookie

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2008, 01:43:20 PM »
Bill Star...now there's a blast from the past. Read him when I was in high school. Think he still trains high school football players. He used the classic approach to 5X5 training. That would be one push and one pull exercise for the upper body and the squat for the lower body. It worked if you worked at it with just those three exercises: push..pull..squat.

If Slin1 (I left before the doctor got there) can only do very light squats, than he may want to try BB Hack squats until his knee returns to near normal. With squats the weight is held on the shoulders, requiring extra balance on the knee joints (hence extra tension). With BB Hacks, the weight is held below the waist and may offer a better opportunity to strengthen the knees themselves. If you have trouble with a squat and feel the knee giving out, you might have a problem getting out from under the bar right away. With BB Hack, just release the grip. The bar does not have far to travel.

To restrengthen the knee area some athlete will train one leg at a time. Like step-ups, one legged squats, lunges, one legged presses, etc. Better focus and attention on a delicate area.

A proper workout plan of 5X5's have probably added muscle mass and strength to thousands of men over the years. Though 5X5's are just one way, of dozens, to do this. Good Luck.
F

Slin1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2008, 02:36:43 PM »
I should have waited for the doc but after i got my morphine injection i just wanted to leave  :-[
Money drugs and bitches