Author Topic: Kinda stale topic, but can't understand all the Dorian hate.  (Read 3335 times)

Zaphod

• Getbig IV
  • IFBB Mr Canada 1970
I kinda lost interest in bodybuilding in my late teens (mostly due to partying etc.). I remember when Dorian posted his 93 transformation photos I was just starting to lift again. Kinda blew my mind to be honest. I just don't get all the hate. It's not really fair for any body builder to be comared to Ronnie in his prime, IMHO. Not sure why the two have to constantly be subject to internet fanboy e-competitions.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
Re: Kinda stale topic, but can't understand all the Dorian hate.
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 09:41:43 PM »
I think some of the hate comes from Dorians later years when he was tearing muscles and winning shows. Some people live in the past and can't get over things like that, so they hate 15 years later.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

benchthis

• Getbig V
  • operation deep throat
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 10:59:14 PM »
no hate here... just he wasnt on par with ronnie  :)

Jeffro

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 01:40:31 AM »
I kinda lost interest in bodybuilding in my late teens (mostly due to partying etc.). I remember when Dorian posted his 93 transformation photos I was just starting to lift again. Kinda blew my mind to be honest. I just don't get all the hate. It's not really fair for any body builder to be comared to Ronnie in his prime, IMHO. Not sure why the two have to constantly be subject to internet fanboy e-competitions.

Those pics are some of the best bodybuilding photos ever.  Awesome  :o

Jeffro

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 01:42:58 AM »
Got progressively worse as his career went on though :-\  Torn muscles and big gut

Obvious Gimmick

• Getbig V
  • I'd hit it
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2008, 09:44:27 PM »
good question and im not sure that i can express the answer, but im a dorian hater . he just looked "too chemical" (what ever that means) to me ???  oh, and that mullet was hideous

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2008, 11:10:36 AM »
Dorian 92/93 - optimum.
He was always inspirational and looks great even now.
How can someone hate Dorian?

bodybuilder1234

• Getbig IV
  • Manny Pacquiao KO Floyd 1
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2008, 08:01:05 AM »
How in the world does Flex, Shawn or Kevin beat Dorian when they were smaller and their conditioning was inferior?

Dorian owned all in his prime and maybe apart from Ronnie owns every bodybuilder of all time.

gh2

• Getbig II
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2008, 01:04:43 AM »
Ray was just not tall enough to win. Standing on his own he looked awsome but together with the taller guys the impessiveness diminishes. Levrone was all delts and arms. They completely threw of the symmetry and proportion of his physique, kinda freakish but not aesthetic. Flex was just not big enough but was maybe THE poster boy for an aesthetic physique. Yates had massive size, rock hard graininess, right height, symmetry and proportion, he had it all. You may not necasserily like his "look" but he was pretty complete!

No matter who wins there will ALLWAYS be people who disagree, you just can't please averyone. All in all Yates dominated, just like Coleman ruled later on, and rightly so!!

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2008, 10:53:02 AM »

It isn't about hatred of Yates. It's all these "Dorian trained the hardest; Dorian is hardcore; Dorian can cleanse lepers, heal the sick, raise the dead, etc." threads that keep popping up like mushrooms on your front lawn, after tons of rain. that has caused the backlash.

These are usually started by guys, singing the "Woe is me; I got the white-man-bad-genetics" blues, who see Dorian Yates as the be-all-to-end-all of bodybuilding (as if Dorian Yates were a genetically-cursed shrimp who became a monster by sheer force of will).

Many of these same characters see Ronnie Coleman as a supremely-blessed, benching-400-lbs-from-the-womb black bodybuilder, who could sneeze and put on 10 lbs. of muscle. Dorian is cursed; so he has to train in his funky dungeon (Heavy-Duty style) to force that sinew onto his body. Ronnie can do regular sets, have a chuckle or two, followed by his "Ain't nuttin' but a peanut/Light weight" musing, and the mass will just leap onto his frame.

That's my perception of the reason for the "Dorian hate", anyway.

LatsMcGee

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2008, 04:13:11 AM »
The Dorian bashing didn't really take off until the bitter Nasser fans crawled out of the woodwork. Sure there was back and fourth squabbling about Dorian's physique but it wasn't the same nature as it is now.

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2008, 04:20:02 AM »
Still strong  8)

bodybuilder1234

• Getbig IV
  • Manny Pacquiao KO Floyd 1
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2008, 07:26:23 AM »
In a word, symmetry.  And though Dorian was often dryer, I argue he was never leaner than Ray or Flex, and he was certainly never as sucked-out as either.  Too much growth hormones have absolutely ruined this aspect of bodybuilding.  Back in the '70's, Frank Zane, Serge Nubret, and Rick Wayne always looked like someone had a taken a damn vacuum to their insides, lol...  Man, I thought that looked so cool when I was a kid...  Everything's still basically ripped today, but it's all inflated-looking rather than sucked out now thanks to GH.  I hate that.         

Ray and Flex were never leaner nor were they ever in superior condition.
Muscle definition and separation does not equal conditioning, for example Ronnie Coleman could turn up soft (like in 2000) and still have better muscle separation than other bodybuilders who have less fat and water.

dustin

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2008, 07:09:21 PM »
After 1993 he went completely downhill, save a few good pictures you may find after that year. He became a shitty mess. I don't care how grainy or big he was for the time. He pioneered the downfall of bodybuilding. If -THAT- is bodybuilding, I want no part of this shit. A few year later Cormier, Flex, Coleman, Levrone and up and comers completely dominated him. To give him his gifts (Sandows) was just a slap in the face. Shit icing on the shit cake, if you will.

I don't mean to be such a hater. Dorian gets all the respect from me that I believe he deserves. Since I started lifting, I have no idea why so many people hug his balls. The guy's already on HRT for life. Get off his nuts!!

Swedish Viking

• Getbig IV
  • http://plunkan.blogspot.com/
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2008, 09:28:08 AM »
I think Yates is friggin awesome.  Modern day Mentzer, rock solid dense hard training dude.  Like that.  I've actually given thought to flying to England sometime and doing at PT session or two with him.  He charges 100 pounds an hour, but I figure what the F, it's friggin Yates!

powerpack

• Getbig IV
  • Time to get Buck wild!
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2008, 10:55:37 AM »
Still a big fan of him!

I some times watch a video clip of him just before I train for motivation.
The man was a one in a million  8)

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2008, 09:05:32 PM »
After 1993 he went completely downhill, save a few good pictures you may find after that year. He became a shitty mess. I don't care how grainy or big he was for the time. He pioneered the downfall of bodybuilding. If -THAT- is bodybuilding, I want no part of this shit. A few year later Cormier, Flex, Coleman, Levrone and up and comers completely dominated him. To give him his gifts (Sandows) was just a slap in the face. Shit icing on the shit cake, if you will.

I don't mean to be such a hater. Dorian gets all the respect from me that I believe he deserves. Since I started lifting, I have no idea why so many people hug his balls. The guy's already on HRT for life. Get off his nuts!!
he looked great in 94 and 95. I think 96 and definitley 97 were questionable.