Author Topic: Wide Grip or V Dip bars...Where can one find them?  (Read 5224 times)

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
Wide Grip or V Dip bars...Where can one find them?
« on: July 07, 2008, 11:43:20 AM »
I have been scouring the 'net for them, but the only ones I have found were specialty made (and cost a pretty penny), and couldn't find them any more. I was thinking about buying one for the home, I have a reg parallel dip bar.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
Re: Wide Grip or V Dip bars...Where can one find them?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 12:42:07 PM »
shit bro make them i used to have a v dipping bar and it was made for probably lest than 30 bucks. Just buy the metal tubing and weld them together or if you dont have a welder go to a metal shop and have them do it(most places will do this pretty cheap) as it wouldnt require more than a few small welds. plus you can choose the size of the bars most of the dipping bars I come across use smaller bars. which feel like they are cutting through you hands when you dip with weights.

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 02:55:24 PM »
shit bro make them i used to have a v dipping bar and it was made for probably lest than 30 bucks. Just buy the metal tubing and weld them together or if you dont have a welder go to a metal shop and have them do it(most places will do this pretty cheap) as it wouldnt require more than a few small welds. plus you can choose the size of the bars most of the dipping bars I come across use smaller bars. which feel like they are cutting through you hands when you dip with weights.

Shit, that's a good idea, I'm gonna look into that.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 03:06:21 PM »
Metal shop ya, that's the way to go. To buy em the only place that comes to mind is larry scott's site. His stuff's expensive, but would be nicer.

http://www.larryscott.com/bio/products/equipment/index.cfm

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 04:49:38 PM »
You could go (as suggested) to a fab/weld shop and have the "V" bar made, though that might be more money than you think. They will have to cut, grind and jig up the mental before tacking, welding and grinding again. Probably will need solid industrial  pipe or heavy bar stock because tubing may not be strong enough in the long run. That is, if you plan on adding weight for heavy dipping. If you also plan on making a dipping stand, than that will be something else to consider.Make a rough blueprint of what you want, with measurements. May also depend on how many 1040 rods are burned in the process. Might want to go to a very small weld shop, even a blacksmith, and check out the going rate. If you cut everything to size before  hand than it should not be too much money invested.

Could also rent a welder (with hood, gloves, torch, rods, etc.) and try it yourself if all the parts are pre cut. Actually welding just takes a little patience and practice. If not mechanically inclined, than just forget about it. Have a fab shop do it all for you.

Where I workout at, we have one set of "V" dipping bars that are made of wood. Two 2X6's hinged together at one end. The stand is three 4X4's based/attached (bolted) together. Had them for quite a few years and can handle some pretty big weight. Actually fits the hands fairly well. If you could do something like that you might be better off in the long run.

In fact a lot of our stuff is home made, one of the  power racks for example. Good Luck.

F

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 11:26:59 PM »
If possible, another thing to try, is to call a few trade schools and colleges and see if they might be willing to handle this for you. Sometimes they will take on small projects like this for a nominal fee as training for the students.   

Knowledge

• Getbig II
  • Don't hate me cause you ain't me
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2008, 06:06:39 PM »
I think Cybex makes a combo dip and pull up bar.  The dip start narrow and flare out, I wouldn't call it a true v but definately starts out at the narrowest at about 1.5-2 ft. across then at the end is about 3.5 ft at the widest point