Author Topic: First Time You Ever Saw a Bodybuilder  (Read 5444 times)

PocketMuscle

• Getbig II
First Time You Ever Saw a Bodybuilder
« on: July 20, 2008, 07:08:49 AM »
Do you remember the first time you ever saw a real live bodybuilder? And what impact did it have on you?

I remember the first time I saw a real live bodybuilder. I was about 8 or 9 and this was in the 60's so bodybuilding was no where near where it is at today. My family and I had gone to the movies and before the movie began, I looked back at people still coming into the theater. That's when I saw him. He had dark black hair, tight white T-shirt (I don't think spandex had been invented yet!), huge arms, broad shoulders, a tiny waistline, and black jeans. I had never seen anyone built like him before in my life up to that point. My eyes went wide as I stared at him. He was, in my little mind, a Hercules walking - just like my super heroes from my DC Comic books!

The impact on me? I never stopped thinking about him and wanted to be just like him. I think I've done a pretty good job!  ;D

Swedish Viking

• Getbig IV
  • http://plunkan.blogspot.com/
Re: First Time You Ever Saw a Bodybuilder
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2008, 07:51:55 AM »
  I think actually the very first I saw up close was Manfred Hoeberl(sp?) walking around in the hallways at the Mr O in Chicago.  Next was Greg Kovacs at a booth at that same show promoting the new craze in bbing supplementation-Muscletech!  Greg was too big to be real.  I didn't want to look anything like him.

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2008, 09:16:10 AM »
The first time I saw a pro bodybuilder in real life was when I had first joined Temple Gym, Birmingham in 1996. It was around November or December I think and I was about to start my workout and was warming up on the stationery bike. There was an alternative changing room across from it and Dorian Yates walked out dressed in jogging bottoms and a huge white t-shirt - he must have been close to 300lbs as it was offseason. I think I must have weighted about 200 fat pounds and was totally blown away - it almost put me off training for life as I thought I could never possibly get that big!

buffdnet

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
  • fuck the pope
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2008, 11:26:24 PM »
first I ever saw was vince taylor guest posing at
the only show ive done, the 1992 npc mid states naturals.
he's also my choice for best poser.
I was in the over 35 masters and came in 2nd to last
after having had only 2 years of refining my exquisite swimmer genetic potential.
had a blast. taylor puts on a hella show and was in shape after winning
the arnold that year.

flexingtonsteele

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The new age pussy Punisher!
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008, 12:04:12 AM »
About 7 years ago or so, i saw mike mattarazzo at the golds gym in Modesto.

This dude was a fuckin monster, and at that point the most muscular human being ive ever seen. It was a pretty cool experience.

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2008, 01:15:17 AM »
16 years ago.
There wasn't enough room on the sideway for all of us bypassers... so the huge dude just pushed us aside... send us flat on our asses.
Roid rage  ;D

Hypertrophy

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2008, 08:52:24 AM »
Danny Padilla was guest posing at a contest in Rochester, NY. He entered the show from behind the audience and walked right by me. Dumbstruck was the feeling I had. Although he is about 5'2 or 3, he looked like he weighed 250 pounds. Absolutely monstrous. At that point, I decided I was better off being a bicycle racer who also happened to weight lift. There was no way I was ever going to be able to get that big!

candidizzle

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= TRB953
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2008, 09:34:01 AM »
i wasnt too impressed actually. well, the guys tricep was pretty damn thick..

but then again i still havent seen any top professionals.

Rock Bottom

• Getbig I
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2008, 12:24:55 PM »
As a kid I was always interested in big muscles and strength and if I ever saw a big guy I'd try to ask them how they got that way.  The answer was always "hard work".  Meaning physical labor.  Then,  one day in '66 or '67 I sat down on the family couch with my new comic book and BANG!  It was a Joe Weider ad with Arnold.  It was my epiphany!  It wasn't until '72 that I was finally able to convince my mother to allow me to lift weights!  Years of nagging!  She didn't want me to get "muscle bound".    ;D
The 1st big name body builder I ever saw in person was probably Mike Katz.  That was probably in '76.  I did manage to see a few less grand physiques in between and of course I had managed to find muscle magazines along the way.

flexingtonsteele

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2008, 07:42:56 PM »
i wasnt too impressed actually. well, the guys tricep was pretty damn thick..

but then again i still havent seen any top professionals.

well you've seen AD in person havent u??? He's pretty damn impressive.

Charlys69

• Getbig III
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2008, 02:36:37 AM »
The first big Bodybuilder i saw was Christian Gomba (from Paris, trained with Serge Nubret). He did a guest-posing at a local BB-Show in Germany/Trier.
He played a role in a film with Christopher Lambert, "Subway"  (the black guy who worked out at night under the subway...),

He competed at several NABBA and WAABA Mr. Universe & World Championships (also as a Pro)

That was in the early 80´s....

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2008, 09:46:22 AM »
well you've seen AD in person havent u??? He's pretty damn impressive.
i said the guys tricep was thick...

flexingtonsteele

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2008, 07:07:00 PM »
i said the guys tricep was thick...
so your talking about AD in your first post then?

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2008, 07:11:03 PM »
so your talking about AD in your first post then?
im talking about the first pro bodybuilder i ever saww...

Obvious Gimmick

• Getbig V
  • I'd hit it
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2008, 07:40:37 PM »
i saw bob Birdsong in the early 80's at a small gym in southern california. i was young, maybe 14. i remember him being short as hell. Although, i now read that he was/is 5'8. i was squatting he looked at me and said "your making progress." seemed like a good dude

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2008, 08:21:21 PM »
Arnold as Conan.

Ex Coelis

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2008, 10:46:55 PM »
I met Ronnie Coleman in Ottawa a couple weeks ago - his calves and forearms were MUCH bigger than I had expected

spinnis

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2008, 07:30:03 AM »
When I first saw a bodybuilder I has this funny tingly sensation in my pants..

Pecs

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2008, 08:11:03 AM »
I saw ronnie coleman in sydney in 06 (the year he lost).....My jaws dropped...

Croatian

• Getbig II
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2008, 04:01:38 AM »
Karl Blomer (Mr.Europe & german TV Tarzan) in 1974 at age of 10.

mar10s

• Getbig III
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2008, 06:28:02 AM »
I met Gunter at a bodybuilding show in Milwaukee in 2003 where he was the guest poser.  It was unreal how big he was compared to people at the show/at my gym who I thought were big.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2008, 01:53:32 PM »
I met Gunter at a bodybuilding show in Milwaukee in 2003 where he was the guest poser.  It was unreal how big he was compared to people at the show/at my gym who I thought were big.

That was the year TJ won.  Were you a spectator or competing?
:

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2008, 02:40:25 PM »
Well, growing up, bodybuilders (as I know them today) weren't around. However, the first people I saw live (up close and personal), as far as guys having BIG muscles is concerned, were pro wrestlers.

It was 1989. My buddy and I had ring-side seats to a then-WWF events in Orlando, FL. I remember one sloppy wrestler came to the ring: Bad News Brown. Even though the crowd was booing, we were all excited. That excitement was because we knew who Brown's opponent would be, the WWF Champion, HULK HOGAN.

The "Real American" music plays; the ring announcer makes the introduction; and out of the shadows comes the LARGEST HUMAN BEING I'd ever seen before in my life. My neck cramped from looking up (and I do mean UP) to the guy. Here came the man, Hulk Hogan, wearing a big, yellow T-shirt and a shiny championship belt.

This dude has muscles I didn't even know existed. He was GIGANTIC. From that point forward, I was psyched up about getting big. I knew I couldn't reach Hogan's size; but I wanted to pile as much muscle on my bony frame as I could. I went nuts in the gym the next day (now sporting my "Hulk Rules" bandana). I knew I'd be stiff as a board and miserably sore later. But, I didn't care; I was hooked.

mar10s

• Getbig III
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2008, 07:59:32 PM »

That was the year TJ won.  Were you a spectator or competing?

I was a spectator.  My cousin had a couple friends compete in it from La Crosse and "wisconsinBB" was in it also whom I know.

MuscleMcMannus

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2008, 12:07:15 AM »
When I first saw a bodybuilder I has this funny tingly sensation in my pants..

Haha epic ignore.